PassBureauMgr
Topic Author

Virgin America Officials At SFO Yesterday

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:05 am

Yesterday at SFO, there were 12 V A people in the airport, being shown through by SFO Airport staff. A well known SFO architect was accomanying them. Also, it was said yesterday that their first 3 aircraft will carry the names Miss America, Miss California & Miss Marilyn?
They will also call their frequent flyer program Club America

flypdx

RE: Virgin America Officials At SFO Yesterday

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:18 am

That's cool.....But they won't be calling any plane anything until they get approved.

planecrazy2

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:09 am

Does anyone know what terminal they are planning on using at SFO?
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

Oykie

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:16 am

Where is Virgin America's headoffice? At SFO?
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

mbm3

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting OyKIE (Reply 3):
Where is Virgin America's headoffice? At SFO?

I believe it is just south of SFO in Burlingham.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

simairlinenet

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:39 am

Burlingame, CA.

FILLER
FILLER

BMIFlyer

Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:46 am

Quoting PassBureauMgr (Thread starter):
Miss Marilyn?

In memory of Marilyn Monroe (sp?) I guess.
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

jacobin777

Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting Mbm3 (Reply 4):

its in Burlingame.... Wink
"Up the Irons!"

sflaflight

Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 6):
Quoting PassBureauMgr (Thread starter):
Miss Marilyn?

Or maybe it's Miss Maryland? Weren't they the last three winners?

sflaflight

Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:15 am

I can see it now, "The last three winners of the new VA naming contest" Marilyn, Maryland, total confusion.

lightsaber
Crew

Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:36 am

Quoting Flypdx (Reply 1):
But they won't be calling any plane anything until they get approved.

rotfl  Not true! No certification is required to buy a plane and pay someone to paint a name on it.  spin 

Serious now:
1. How many gates is VirgA leasing at SFO? Any additional gates with mixed carrier access?
2. Does anyone know aircraft delivery schedule?
They might not be able to fly, but that might just mean a large start up
3. Is any other LCC asking for gates at SFO? Hey, OAK and SJC aren't exactly easy places to get gates...
4. Does anyone know and hard numbers on HP's yields/load factors on their SFO transcons?

I'm going to be honest, I'm not that excited about VirgA. While I like a good low cost deal as much as the next guy, I'm missing what they will offer different than B6, F9, or FL. Or is this a case where good moderately priced service is direly needed at SFO that any LCC should succeed? If so, why do I keep hearing about HP there and HP's inability to turn a profit? And why wouldn't B6, WN, or another LCC have a large SFO presense if its that ripe of a market? I guess, what will be VirgA's differentiator.

1. WN brought low fares to most of their cities. After estabilishing a loyal base, they are growing from that.
2. FL brought low fares to ATL and has since expanded into other high fare airports in the northeast.
3. F9 was the original low fare to DEN and has an almost unique hub amoung LCCs. (Now in many ways matched by FL at ATL and WN at several locations, but I'm talking about when the airline was formed.)
4. B6 at JFK (NYC) and BOS.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

jetbluefan1

Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:38 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 10):
4. Does anyone know and hard numbers on HP's yields/load factors on their SFO transcons?

I believe that HP no longer does SFO transcons.

JetBluefan1

BigGSFO

Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:50 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 11):

You are partially correct. The only US transcons at SFO are to PHL and CLT. JFK and BOS (operated by the late great HP) have been dropped.

Edit: so do we now call HP "US" or still refer to them as "HP"?

[Edited 2006-01-08 00:58:03]

lightsaber
Crew

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:15 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 12):
Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 11):

You are partially correct. The only US transcons at SFO are to PHL and CLT. JFK and BOS (operated by the late great HP) have been dropped.

Edit: so do we now call HP "US" or still refer to them as "HP"?

Ok, I should correct myself. I'm looking into how HP did on transcons pre-merger (e.g., flights that are now cancelled.)

Yes, the new HP/US is just US. I'm curous how they did out of SFO in years past.

Thanks,
Lightsaber

AMSSFO

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:55 am

s any other LCC asking for gates at SFO? Hey, OAK and SJC aren't exactly easy places to get gates...

Apparently, they are looking at OAK as well:
"Virgin America, a start-up low-fare airline, wants to become the newest carrier at Orlando International Airport, where several industry bankruptcies are likely to leave empty gates this year."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...ory?coll=orl-news-headlines-orange

wedgetail737

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:25 pm

It will be nice to see another airline start up that is actually headquartered on the west coast. I believe AS is the only mainline carrier based on the west coast in Seattle. Sorry Allegiant Air, I don't really consider LAS as a west coast city, along with PHX for US Airways.

AMSSFO...I didn't see any reference to OAK in the Orlando Sentinel article you linked, unless I missed something.

I think if V-A starts OAK, it would make competition at OAK a bit more fierce.

I'm not sure if B6 would start anymore north/south markets (outside of LGB-OAK) anytime soon consider how fierce competition is out here. And the yields aren't very good either.

BigGSFO

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:39 pm

I see nothing about OAK in the article either.

lightsaber
Crew

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:05 pm

Quoting AMSSFO (Reply 14):

Apparently, they are looking at OAK as well:
"Virgin America, a start-up low-fare airline, wants to become the newest carrier at Orlando International Airport, where several industry bankruptcies are likely to leave empty gates this year."

Sorry to nitpick, you mean MCO not OAK.  Wink

But what I found interesting from your link:

Quote:
Geagan said some other airlines are "colluding in an overt attempt to stop the DOT process."

Wow!  wideeyed  I have a feeling that they'll play up Sir Branson's control to delay compitition. Right or wrong, we'll see some politics on this.

My thought is that as WN, FL, B6, and F9 expand there is less of an unfilled niche for LCC service. While airline service is growing, eventually there isn't the vacuum. So the longer VigA's launch is delayed, the less demand there will be for their product.

also

Quote:

"I think it's safe to say Orlando International is not really in danger of having all these excess gates for a long period of time," he said. "The trend is we're seeing airports incentivizing carriers to come in by not using traditional, long-term signatory leases. They rent the gates for an hour if they need to."

I doubt MCO will have spare gates for too long. I expect B6 (among others) to expand there. I read into this VirgA is looking at SFO-MCO as a starter route. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MCO gates are DL gates handed over during their BK process of cutting costs?

Lightsaber

ConcordeBoy

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting Mbm3 (Reply 4):

What became of the concept of Virgin's fiscal hub being in NYC, and their physical hub being in QSF?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

csturdiv

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:37 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 6):

Or how about Miss Marilyn Manson?  laughing 
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Lufthansa

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:00 pm

See below....i'm betting my money on them.

Architect? Sounds like some trendy terminal/gate/lounge on the way?

[Edited 2006-01-08 13:09:49]

Lufthansa

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:04 pm

Quoting Flypdx (Reply 1):
That's cool.....But they won't be calling any plane anything until they get approved.

Will you doubters quit it already? They've got a very experience management team, investors and the capital, plus they, more than most start ups, can say, "we know how to fly planes safely" because they're part of a group that runs airlines all around the world...a group I might add, that operates more Boeings (esp 737s,) than airbuses. They will fly. I'm not going to be so brave and say they're going to make huge profits...but they will fly. Saying otherwise now is just wishful thinking. It would take a major supply shock...such as another big oil spike or something...to get them to return their money to their investors. Why should a majority American owned company not be allowed to operate, just like any other American company (and that is what we're talking about folks AN AMERICAN COMPANY!) just because its minority shareholder happens to be an eccentric british nut?

Oh BTW concordeboy...welcome back from dead....long time no see fred? What happened? Been in Afrika or something?

stirling

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:08 pm

I'm missing what they will offer different than B6, F9, or FL.

S

R

B
Delete this User

EA CO AS

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:14 pm

Quoting Stirling (Reply 22):
I'm missing what they will offer different than B6, F9, or FL.

S

R

B

Solid Rocket Boosters? Are these Airbii specially equipped with powerplants from Morton Thiokol?  Wink

I guess that's what's different - you get to your destination in 1/5th the time of normal airlines, while pulling 3Gs the whole way.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

tymnbalewne

Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:18 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 18):
What became of the concept of Virgin's fiscal hub being in NYC, and their physical hub being in QSF?

I thought it was the other way around...offices in NY area and flight hub in SFO?

C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

mbm3

Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting TymnBalewne (Reply 24):
I thought it was the other way around...offices in NY area and flight hub in SFO?

Initially this was going to be the case, but I think good business sense led them to combine their ops and admin hub at SFO.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

ConcordeBoy

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting TymnBalewne (Reply 24):

um, read what I wrote dude.

Quoting Mbm3 (Reply 25):
I think good business sense led them to combine their ops and admin hub at SFO.

Both parties (the airline and California) seemed awfully quiet about that... interesting.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

GVWOW

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:37 am

What kind of IFE will Virgin America have? Will it be V:Port?

legacyins

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:28 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 26):
Both parties (the airline and California) seemed awfully quiet about that... interesting.

Not really, I read about it in the local news papers and even on the net that city and local leaders were pleased that VA will consolidate their corporate and operations center in the Bay Area.

hz747300

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:55 am

I'm going to be honest, I'm not that excited about VirgA. While I like a good low cost deal as much as the next guy, I'm missing what they will offer different than B6, F9, or FL. ...

I completely agree--even some yahoo who was just hired by Virgin America was posting on about how it will innovative in IFE and soft drinks. Which begs the question, how can soft drinks be innovative?

Rolling that forward, considering jetBlue's already famed IFE - DirecTV and Satellite Radio, what can Virgin America offer that will be that much more innovative? I cannot think of anything other Blockbuster(tm) Movies on Demand. Or, maybe Fat Joe will rap the inflight announcements? Who knows. But I would like to see Virgin America fly, if only to see 'what they can think of next'.

The nice thing is Branson only does sexy (read high profile/attention getting), so you know this venture will not be half-assed. What I would hate to see is another seat-yourself, flying Greyhound people mover.
Keep on truckin'...