BA
Topic Author

Beirut Airport Expansion

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:10 am

I recently began thinking about how in the summer time, MEA is having to use gates in BEY that are meant for other airlines as their own gates on the west pier sometimes get full entirely.

Then I got to thinking about how MEA is planning to add 2 additional Airbuses in 2007 and 2008 plus 50/70-seat regional aircraft (possibly regional jets).

As some of you know, MEA uses the western gates in BEY, those are gates 13 through 23 of which 22 is not used because it is a bus boarding gate. That means MEA has 10 jetway gates. MEA at the moment has 9 aircraft and there are periods of the day (late at night) when all or almost all of the aircraft are in Beirut. In a few years, MEA will have 11 aircraft, not including the regional aircraft they will be getting.

MEA's gates are also used by MEA's airline partners, Air France and Qatar Airways, plus airlines that are handled by MEA's ground handling company, MEAG.

Either a small expansion will be needed, or all airlines besides MEA will need to move to the east gates (gates 1-12).

I recently got to thinking of how Beirut can add one more gate without expanding the terminal. Beirut airport is already short one gate from what it was originally to have.

BEY was supposed to be a 24 gate airport, 22 of which have jetways. However, instead, one of the gates was converted to a cafeteria and never had a jetway attached to it, so instead BEY is a 23 gate airport, 21 of which have jetways.

With a small investment, BEY could very easily become a 24-gate airport as it originally was intended.

When BEY originally opened, it had two cafeterias, one in each pier.

The one in the east is located on an area of the pier specifically built for the cafeteria.

However, the one on the west is located in an area that was originally supposed to become a gate.

Here is a shot of the west pier taken from the cafeteria on the east pier. Immediately to the right of the Royal Jordanian A310 is where the cafeteria that was originally supposed to be a gate is located:

Here is a shot of the cafeteria that was originally supposed to be a gate, as you can see, a jetway was never completely attached:

It is to my understanding that these two cafeterias were closed in the summer and better improved cafeterias were opened inside the piers themselves.

Since this has been done, they can convert the area on the west pier to a gate as it was originally intended.

It is to my understanding that they decided not to turn it into a gate because the area was deemed to tight to fit an aircraft and I can clearly see why. However, with MEA planning to get 50/70-seat regional aircraft, this gate would be perfect for regional jets. There are jetways that are capable of docking onto regional jets such as the CRJ200 and CRJ700. If MEA gets something like an EMB-170, then almost any jetway is capable of docking onto them.

2005 wasn't a good year for BEY because of the turbulent events that occured following Hariri's assassination, however the end of 2005 saw a good improvement. 2005 traffic numbers will be lower than 2004, but hopefully not as low as originally predicted.

Let's hope 2006 turns out to be a better year.

There are long term plans to expand the airport by adding 7 gates, some of which can handle A380s, however, this is still years off. I think this additional gate however would be a wise move to be done within the next two years, before MEA gets its 2 additional Airbuses and regional aircraft.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

N1120A

RE: Beirut Airport Expansion

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:30 pm

BEY seems to need this expansion because the design is a bit cramped and they should only expect more traffic as Beirut becomes more of a tourist attraction and if AC finally gets their YUL-BEY service. Strange that they haven't taken advantage of the revenue from commercial restaurants.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BA
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 1):
Strange that they haven't taken advantage of the revenue from commercial restaurants.

This isn't so as of last year.

It's quite silly actually. Apparantly there was a dispute with a contractor that was given exclusivity in providing food concessions in the airport. I think Abela which provides catering services to many airports around the world.

Up until last year, those two crappy cafeterias (and they really were crappy) were the only ones providing food in the entire airport. Quite embarassing.

That's besides the Duty Free shops which sell Lebanese sweets, nuts, etc. of course.

Last year apparantly they reached some agreement, maybe the contract ended, I have no idea. But two restaurants were opened in the arrivals area, one in the departures area (Japanese sushi restaurant), and two NICE cafes in the piers which replaced the two crappy cafes.

There is still room for more food concessions, 2 large restaurants at least.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

ETStar

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:25 pm

Hey, how about turning those two gates into multiple-flight gates with aircraft parked in remote stands, whereby pax will be shuttled to and from their aircraft. Is there any room on the grounds of BEY for additional remote parking stalls?

BA
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:32 pm

Quoting ETStar (Reply 3):
Hey, how about turning those two gates into multiple-flight gates with aircraft parked in remote stands, whereby pax will be shuttled to and from their aircraft. Is there any room on the grounds of BEY for additional remote parking stalls?

BEY has I believe between between 6 to 8 remote stands, however they are used by VIP aircraft, but can accomodate airliners.

There are two gates in BEY that don't have jetways and are bus boarding gates and those are gate 4 on the east pier and gate 22 on the west pier.

Take a look at this:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/soubhi/Picture079.jpg

Regards

AF022

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:37 pm

If ME doesn't care about connecting passengers, why don't they just adjust their flight schedules to avoid a crush of flights all at the same time? I assume that gate space is probably most difficult late afternoon, when all of those flights are leaving for the Gulf? Why just not spread them out more? They aren't building a hub (big mistake on their part, but that has been discussed ad nauseum here).

BA
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:44 pm

Quoting AF022 (Reply 5):
If ME doesn't care about connecting passengers, why don't they just adjust their flight schedules to avoid a crush of flights all at the same time? I assume that gate space is probably most difficult late afternoon, when all of those flights are leaving for the Gulf? Why just not spread them out more? They aren't building a hub (big mistake on their part, but that has been discussed ad nauseum here).

It's about timing convenience. Flights to Europe depart in the morning while flights to the Gulf depart in the evening.

MEA doesn't want to operate flights past midnight. The exception is the 2:05AM flight to Paris, but that is to allow passengers to make connections on Air France. And the West Africa flights, but those are only a couple times a week.

Infact, the flight to Kuwait overnights in Kuwait because they don't want to operate the flight in the middle of the night.

In the summer time though, it's completely different. MEA completely maximizes fleet utilization of its aircraft running them on a 24-hour basis.

Regards

qutaiba

Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:54 pm

Just by looking at the pictures and reading MEA's fleet expansion plan, the airport is in need of additrional gates not just parking, however where would these be built, as you've mentioned a currently undeveloped area is used for VIP aircraft, and unless some new VIP arrangement is made the construction cseem to be possible in extending the current terminals, but is that also possible? Beyrut stands at the oppotunity of the inter-region growth, hope the planners will succed.

Regards

Qutaiba
When the tide comes in, all ships will rise

AF022

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:57 pm

Quoting Qutaiba (Reply 7):
Beyrut stands at the oppotunity of the inter-region growth, hope the planners will succed.

They've had the opportunity to take advantage of this for years and years. I don't have any hope of them doing anything about it at this point. Sooner or later another carrier with cheaper fares will come in and take all their traffic, and that will be the end of it.

BA
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting Qutaiba (Reply 7):
Just by looking at the pictures and reading MEA's fleet expansion plan, the airport is in need of additrional gates not just parking, however where would these be built, as you've mentioned a currently undeveloped area is used for VIP aircraft, and unless some new VIP arrangement is made the construction cseem to be possible in extending the current terminals, but is that also possible? Beyrut stands at the oppotunity of the inter-region growth, hope the planners will succed.

They opened a General Aviation Terminal in the northern part of the airport last June and all VIP aircraft now park there.

So those parking stands are probably empty now.

I know there are drawings of an expanded terminal, but I haven't seen them. The expansion calls for adding 7 gates.

Regards

N1120A

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting BA (Reply 9):

I know there are drawings of an expanded terminal, but I haven't seen them. The expansion calls for adding 7 gates.

Do you know where they could fit those on the current terminal?

Also, are there currently any plans to expand the commecial offerings beyond the new cafes and sushi?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

FOMEA

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:43 am

BA,
Which Gates at BEY are A380 Ready?

Is the Airport it self A380 Ready?

Thanks

Regards
F-OMEA.
On the internet you can be anything you want..its strange so many choose to be Stupid.

BA
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:09 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 10):
Do you know where they could fit those on the current terminal?

Perhaps north of gate 23 on the west side which currently has remote stands or north of gate 1 which has a trashed out old run down ancient cargo building that is an eyesore.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 10):
Also, are there currently any plans to expand the commecial offerings beyond the new cafes and sushi?

Yes, I believe they are still trying to find vendors to make use of restaurant space in the airport that still isn't being used. There is space for 2-3 more large restaurants.

Quoting FOMEA (Reply 11):

To be honest with you, I'm not entirely sure. I used to think at first that Gates 1, 2, 3, and 23 are A380 ready but I believe Gate 23 and maybe Gate 1 are the only ones that are actually A380 ready.

Gates 2 and 3 are dual jetway gates designed for the 747, but I'm not sure if they can accomodate the A380.

The future 7-gate expansion will include some gates that can accomodate the A380.

Is the Airport it self A380 Ready?

The runways are, yes. Some of the taxiways are as well.

BEY got an Antonov AN-124 recently, so I am sure it is A380 ready, the gates may be an issue though...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vatche Mitilian

Regards

ME AVN FAN

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:39 pm

Why NOT move the cargo-section out of the present premises (looks like the old airport terminal, but a bit depressing) to the old TMA-hangar and possible extensions, even across in Mreije -- and using the old building (again) as a kind of Terminal 2, maybe for regional and shorthaul operations.

BA
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:34 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 13):
Why NOT move the cargo-section out of the present premises (looks like the old airport terminal, but a bit depressing) to the old TMA-hangar and possible extensions, even across in Mreije -- and using the old building (again) as a kind of Terminal 2, maybe for regional and shorthaul operations.

As I said, I think one of the proposals for the expansion of the terminal is from where gate 1 is. They would demolish that old cargo building you are talking about, but then the issue remains is the TMA hangers which are private property since they belong to TMA (although the land itself is government land and TMA leases it). They'd have to reach some sort of agreement with TMA.

It's pretty complicated...

In the meantime, I think they should add this 1 gate.

Regards

FOMEA

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting BA (Reply 14):
TMA hangers which are private property since they belong to TMA (although the land itself is government land and TMA leases it). They'd have to reach some sort of agreement with TMA

But they are useless arent they?
What is TMA using them for?

Correct me if i am wrong, but if BEY decided to Expand (lets say 7-10 gates)I think the only direction they can go is towards the TMA hangers.correct?

Regards
F-OMEA.
On the internet you can be anything you want..its strange so many choose to be Stupid.

cedars747

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:27 am

BA,

Just put the number of your choice and it will be ready for you!!!!
Alex!!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

FOMEA

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:50 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 16):
Just put the number of your choice and it will be ready for you!!!!
Alex!!!!

How about gates 19-1  Wink

Regards
F-OMEA.

BA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:30 pm

Quoting FOMEA (Reply 15):
But they are useless arent they?
What is TMA using them for?

TMA was contracting other carriers to fly for them because their 707s were grounded by the Lebanese Civil Aviation Authority (LCAA) and can't afford to renew their fleet due to their serious financial problems.

Whether they are being used or not, they are still TMA property.

Quoting FOMEA (Reply 15):
Correct me if i am wrong, but if BEY decided to Expand (lets say 7-10 gates)I think the only direction they can go is towards the TMA hangers.correct?

No, they can expand towards the JR Executive hanger on the west side also.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting BA (Reply 14):
that old cargo building

isn't that "old cargo building" the former airport-terminal ?

Quoting BA (Reply 14):
belong to TMA

what is the actual status of TMA as a company ? I mean as they now no longer have any operations --- wouldn't they be interested to lease out their premises ?

Quoting BA (Reply 18):
they can expand towards the JR Executive hanger on the west side also.

particularily as the "nearer" runway, which was useful for photographers now apparently is out of use and only the "Khalde" runway now is used --- or will the "nearer" one be revived again ?

cedars747

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting FOMEA (Reply 17):
How about gates 19-1

for your eyes only...
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

BA
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:12 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 19):
isn't that "old cargo building" the former airport-terminal ?

Nope, the former terminal no longer exists.

The current terminal you are familiar with was built in two phases. The eastern half (gates 1-12) was completed in 1998 built immediately adjacent to the old terminal.

Take a look at this picture and you will see what I mean, look on the far left side:

The west wing was also completed, but it could not be used until they demolished the old terminal and built the western half of the new terminal to finally attach it.

After the east side of the new terminal became fully operational, they demolished the old terminal and began construction on the western half of the new terminal, this was completed I believe by 2000, but was not inaugurated until 2002. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

what is the actual status of TMA as a company ?

As a company....well maybe the executives meet up on Saturdays and play cards with each other...

I think you get the idea.  Smile

I mean as they now no longer have any operations --- wouldn't they be interested to lease out their premises ?

I guess so, I honestly have no idea what is new with TMA as they rarely speak out. They fired a bunch of pilots last year who weren't working for over two years to begin with.

Last I read is that TMA is trying to find a buyer or is hoping for a merger with MEA, both of which are unlikely.

particularily as the "nearer" runway, which was useful for photographers now apparently is out of use and only the "Khalde" runway now is used --- or will the "nearer" one be revived again ?

I'm confused, which runway are you talking about? The old landing runway, runway 17/35? Or are you talking about the runway that protrudes into the sea, runway 16/34? Or are you talking about the take-off runway, runway 03/21? Or maybe you're talking about the old 03/21?

The old 03/21 was converted to a taxiway for the new 03/21 which began service in 1998.

The old 17/35 is still in operation, but rarely used. However, with the airport planning to become a major hub for corporate aviation now that the general aviation terminal is complete and that plans are under way to construct 12 small hangers for it, 17/35 may become busier in the near future.

Regards

MOE777

Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:48 pm

What's the story with the BEY photographer's? Its been a while since any new photos have been posted.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting BA (Reply 21):
a look at this picture and you will see what I mean

ok, that makes it clear ! thanks

Quoting BA (Reply 21):
The old landing runway, runway 17/35

THAT is the one I mean, which allowed some acceptable photographs from the side of the terminal

Quoting BA (Reply 21):
protrudes into the sea, runway 16/34

far too far for photography from the terminal side. Checked the Khalde side, which not only is NOT the most fashionable part of Beirut anyway, and unfortunately does not offer "vantage points" for photography

Quoting BA (Reply 21):
The old 17/35 is still in operation, but rarely used. However, with the airport planning to become a major hub for corporate aviation now that the general aviation terminal is complete and that plans are under way to construct 12 small hangers for it, 17/35 may become busier in the near future.

THAT sounds interesting !

Quoting Moe777 (Reply 22):
the story with the BEY photographer's? Its been a while since any new photos have been posted

if you mean Vatche Mitilian, he as I understood him, in recent months has been extremely busy at work, not least to the damage occurred to their premises. OVerall, BEY traffic accdg to a former MEA steward has been down by roughly 20% if compared with the year before and not much new things in evidence. Maybe "BA" can tell you more.

BA
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting Moe777 (Reply 22):
What's the story with the BEY photographer's? Its been a while since any new photos have been posted.

Winter is the cloudy and rainy season in Lebanon and most of the Mediterranean, this may be why.

Or they are just busy.

Regards

BA
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:26 am

Wow, our last two posts were posting 17 seconds apart.  Smile

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 23):
THAT is the one I mean, which allowed some acceptable photographs from the side of the terminal

Usually aircraft will have already be rolling down the runway by the time they become next to the terminal.

far too far for photography from the terminal side. Checked the Khalde side, which not only is NOT the most fashionable part of Beirut anyway, and unfortunately does not offer "vantage points" for photography

Yup, but great for photographing planes on approach from anywhere on the coast, especially the Sheraton Coral Beach Resort.  Smile

if you mean Vatche Mitilian, he as I understood him, in recent months has been extremely busy at work, not least to the damage occurred to their premises. OVerall, BEY traffic accdg to a former MEA steward has been down by roughly 20% if compared with the year before and not much new things in evidence. Maybe "BA" can tell you more.

Yes, Vatche is indeed busy with work I believe.

Regarding BEY traffic, I believe part of the summer saw a drop in traffic by 20%, but if I remember correctly, July and August traffic levels were very similar to 2004 levels.

I'm not exactly sure how BEY's traffic will fair for 2005, I'm anxious to for the figures to be released.

2004 was an amazing year and because of the political events that occured following Hariri's assassination, traffic levels for 2005 will be lower, but how much lower? I'm not sure.

2004 saw 3.35 million passengers. 2003 saw 2.74 million I believe, so 2004 was a giant leap. I think 2005 levels will be right around 3 million, maybe a bit less.

We'll find out soon, maybe next month...

FOMEA

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:41 am

BA,
Where does RB fly from in route to BEY?
I know BRU Was one of them.

How do they do? Loads?
Do people really Fly RB to BEYBig grin

Regards
F-OMEA.

BA
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:50 am

Quoting FOMEA (Reply 26):
Where does RB fly from in route to BEY?
I know BRU Was one of them.

That's it, BRU.

They had a flight to CMN via TUN, but they stopped it. They stop it every winter but with Royal Air Maroc now back in BEY, I don't see that route coming back.

Quoting FOMEA (Reply 26):
How do they do? Loads?
Do people really Fly RB to BEY?

Maybe members of the Lebanese Baath Party. Big grin

As for the loads, don't really know.  Smile

FOMEA

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:23 am

BA,
What other airlines have 5th freedom to and from BEY ?

Sorry my questions seem to be too much but..its info i'd Like to know.

Thanks.

Regards
F-OMEA.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting BA (Reply 25):
on approach from anywhere on the coast, especially the Sheraton Coral Beach Resort. Smile

True, also from the "Shatila Cafe -Restaurant" and some adjoining "beach" places off Ras-Beirut, but turning bad in the afternoon with the sun against you . Also from that "real" beach just south of Ras-Beirut . But some more traffic would make "waiting intervals" a bit less endless !

OD720

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:34 pm

if you mean Vatche Mitilian, he as I understood him, in recent months has been extremely busy at work

Quoting BA (Reply 24):
Winter is the cloudy and rainy season in Lebanon and most of the Mediterranean

You are both right, the weather and work have kept me away from the airport for the past couple of months. In November, I had a couple of trips there but they were really short ones.
But I haven't given up on the hobby, I need good dry weather since most of the spots I take photos from are very muddy indeed during the winter.

I also hope that Hisham will be back soon. Spotting in groups are usually more fun.

Checked the Khalde side, which not only is NOT the most fashionable part of Beirut anyway, and unfortunately does not offer "vantage points" for photography

This is the area I use most for photography. On the Khalde highway there is a small waste refinery. If you climb a little up that place, you will have an excellent view of rwy 16/34.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:24 pm

Quoting OD720 (Reply 30):
On the Khalde highway there is a small waste refinery

Was there, but due to lack of traffic at the time, could NOT fix the point. Is that the area where the highway has a kind of "holes" on the sidelines ?

BA
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting FOMEA (Reply 28):
What other airlines have 5th freedom to and from BEY ?

Air Algerie
Malaysia Airlines
Oman Air
Tunisair

Hemus Air used to recently, but it looks like they delinked their BEY and DXB service.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 29):
True, also from the "Shatila Cafe -Restaurant" and some adjoining "beach" places off Ras-Beirut, but turning bad in the afternoon with the sun against you . Also from that "real" beach just south of Ras-Beirut . But some more traffic would make "waiting intervals" a bit less endless !

Yes, but I don't really like Shatila Cafe.  Smile

Bay Rock and Petit Cafe are nice and if you want to enjoy some luxury, the Movenpick hotel is a good one. Just go down to near where the swimming pools and beach are and stay at that cafe. Or just walk to the end of the pier which I've done many times.

Regards

ME AVN FAN

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting BA (Reply 32):
the Movenpick hotel is a good one. Just go down to near where the swimming pools and beach are and stay at that cafe. Or just walk to the end of the pier which I've done many times.

been there in August 04 -- yes, really nice -- but again, as soon as the son gets into the Western position it becomes difficult with photography

FOMEA

Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:47 am

Quoting BA (Reply 32):
Oman Air

Via what airport?

Thanks.

Regards
F-OMEA.

BA
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 33):
been there in August 04 -- yes, really nice -- but again, as soon as the son gets into the Western position it becomes difficult with photography

Why do you think the Movenpick has a big marina? So you can rent a yacht and go out to sea during the evening so that the sun is behind you when you are spotting. Big grin

This is the problem with spotting approaches on runway 16. The best time is in the morning up until noon and right after sunset.

Quoting FOMEA (Reply 34):
Via what airport?

DXB

MOE777

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:05 pm

I was looking at Kuridstan's airline website, they mention they operate flights into Bey, can someone confirm this.

BA
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:58 am

Quoting MOE777 (Reply 36):
I was looking at Kuridstan's airline website, they mention they operate flights into Bey, can someone confirm this.

I think so, at least on an off and on basis, but I don't have any details.

Just so you know, Kurdistan Airlines doesn't have any of its own aircraft. They charter aircraft from airlines to operate on their behalf.

Regards

airxliban

Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:56 am

lol, it seems that BEY is more A380 ready than LAX  Wink
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

BA
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:35 pm

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 38):
lol, it seems that BEY is more A380 ready than LAX

I have been curious exactly how ready BEY is to handle the A380.

The two new runways I know are ready. The taxiways, at least some of them, are A380 ready.

The question I have is for the gates. If there are any A380-ready gates, they are gates 1, 2, 3, or 23.

All four of these gates can handle the 747 and gates 2 and 3 are equipped with dual jetways.

Browsing the Council for Development and Construction's website, there are two projects in preparation for BEY.

The first project is to rehabilitate the runways, taxiways, and construct additional taxiways. Now this is interesting, considering that the two new runways were completed in 1998 (runway 03/21) and 2001 (16/34). This leaves the old and rarely used runway 17/35 which was last rehabilitated in the mid 80's.

The second project is the construction of 12 small hangers for the new General Aviation Terminal.

I believe these two projects are tied together. The rehabilitation of some taxiways and runway 17/35 and the construction of new taxiways is probably tied to positioning Beirut is a premier hub for corporate aviation which is why this new state of the art General Aviation Terminal was built.

Regards

cedars747

Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting BA (Thread starter):
Beirut Airport Expansion

Most of the neighborhoods around BEY are built illegally ....so i guess BEY has big chances for expansion ...eaven a new terminal is an option.
Alex!!!

BA
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:02 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 40):
Most of the neighborhoods around BEY are built illegally ....so i guess BEY has big chances for expansion ...eaven a new terminal is an option.

True, particularly the Ouzai neighborhood between runway 16/34 and runway 17/35.

As you probably know, resettling them has turned political and I'm not sure when a solution will be reached.

However, the airport I heard has ambitions to build facilities for the manufacture of aircraft spare parts in this area as there is road access there. A terminal expansion or new terminal would be built somewhere else.

Regards

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 38):
lol, it seems that BEY is more A380 ready than LAX

rotfl  Sad but true. Stupid Hahn killed off the good expansion plans and proposed his silly "D" option.  hissyfit 

Pardon the question, but how many 747's does BEY see daily and from whom? While I would expect emirates to eventually fly a A380 to BEY, is there enough load on BA, AF, or KLM to upscale? Please note I'm asking.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

yegbey01

Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:45 am

I think currently there are no commercial pax 747s flying into BEY. Why does BEY require the A380???

I think EK likes the A330 runs, if they need to upgrade, they usually bring the 777s during the summer. Plus EK likes the fact that they can connect pax through DXB, so bringing an A 380 could be an overkill (with the exception of parts of August and July, but that's when the 380 could also be deployed elsewhere)

AF? just like EK.....frequency is important to CDG because of connections potential.....I really doubt seeing the 380 on a regularly scheduled basis in BEY before 2010.

BA....they are running daily 320 or 321s....with most flights stopping on their way to DAM or AMM......moving up to the 380 is a huge stretch.

things in Lebanon have to improve quite significantly (syrians and Hizbullah eventually go to hell) before BEY sees once again the growth it had witnessed in the last 5 years prior to 2005

BA
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 42):
Pardon the question, but how many 747's does BEY see daily and from whom?

BEY sees 747s in the summertime from Air France, Saudi Arabian Airlines, and Malaysia Airlines.

The 747 Air France used to bring to Beirut was a once weekly addition to their daily 777 flight. Kuwait Airways periodically flies their single 747-400 during the summer.

However, last summer, they decided to add an extra two weekly 777s instead of an extra weekly 747 flight, so BEY did not see the 747 last summer.

Saudi Arabian Airlines brings the 747 during the summer on the Riyadh route.

Malaysia Airlines for parts of the summer flies the 747 instead of the usual A330.

For a while, Iran Air used to add an extra flight from Tehran to Paris in the summer time, routed via Beirut. But this did not operate last summer.

In summer 2003 it was on a 747SP (quite a treat), while summer 2004 saw a 747-200.

Here is a shot of an Air France 747-400 and Saudi Arabian Airlines 747-400 in Beirut:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vatche Mitilian
View Large View Medium

Photo © Vatche Mitilian

Also, Beirut gets 747 freighters from Cargolux and Martinair Cargo:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vatche Mitilian
View Large View Medium

Photo © Vatche Mitilian

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 42):
While I would expect emirates to eventually fly a A380 to BEY, is there enough load on BA, AF, or KLM to upscale?

Besides Emirates, I could only see Air France flying the A380 in the near future.

British Airways' service to Beirut is operated by franchise carrier British Mediterranean Airways which flies A320s and A321s.

The KLM service is operated on 737-900s. Lufthansa flies in A319/A320/A321s while Alitalia flies in A320s and occasionally A321s.

Air France is the only European airline that flies a widebody to Beirut on a scheduled basis, they fly a mixture of 777-200ERs and 777-300ERs. This is because of the large Lebanese population in the France and the high demand for premium seats.

Starting at the end of March, the service will become entirely 777-300ERs, I believe because of the demand of premium seats.

In the summertime, Lufthansa flies in A300-600Rs and Alitalia on an occasional basis flies in 767-300ERs.

Regards

BA
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:51 am

Regarding the other points in your post, read above.

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 43):
things in Lebanon have to improve quite significantly (syrians and Hizbullah eventually go to hell) before BEY sees once again the growth it had witnessed in the last 5 years prior to 2005

2005 numbers will be between 2003 and 2004 numbers. I predict very close to 3 million. 2004 as you know handled 3.35 million passengers.

The last part of the summer saw traffic numbers almost identical to the same period in 2004 and the last quarter (Fall/winter) saw a significant improvement in traffic, so hopefully this will help.

Let's hope 2006 will be a better year...

MEA310

Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting BA (Reply 44):
Starting at the end of March, the service will become entirely 777-300ERs, I believe because of the demand of premium seats.

AF has been flying their 777-300ER 6xweekly with a 772 1xweekly for a couple of weeks now. A couple of days ago I saw the 773ER go around, amazing site,although from my house!

MEA310
M5 Fastest Sedan On Earth

yegbey01

Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:11 am

BA,

FYI, the BEY pax numbers are already out. down 1.2% from 2004. Not a big drop....But nonetheless a huge step backward after a 25% increase in 04

BA
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 47):
BA,

FYI, the BEY pax numbers are already out. down 1.2% from 2004. Not a big drop....But nonetheless a huge step backward after a 25% increase in 04

Do you have the numbers? Where are they?

1.2%?!?!?!?!?! That's it? You've got to be kidding me...

yegbey01

Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:28 am

I came across the numbers the other day. To be exact, in 2005, total pax: 3.28 million in 2004, they had 3.33 million.

They are posted on almustaqbal.com Get someone to walk you through the article in arabic....I needed help.. Smile

http://www.almustaqbal.com/Issues/AsISPDF/14-01-06/f12.html

cheers

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos