dsa

Another Airport In NYC: Would It Be International?

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:26 am

Hi

Question is in the title? Like BA and Other Carriers?

<<<DSA>>>
Go Skybus!!!!

N62NA

RE: Another Airport In NYC: Would It Be International?

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:04 am

No, I don't think it would be.

As for where they would even put another airport in the NYC area, well, they tried this out in Morris County NJ (30 miles from NYC) back in the 1970s, but the area they were thinking of was turned into a protected wildlife zone (Great Swamp Wildlife Preserve).

If anything, I could see SWF (about 50 miles North or NYC) perhaps getting a bit busier, but only with domestic flights to serve the growing lower and mid Hudson Valley area of the region.

JFK and EWR (and LGA for Eastern Canada flights) pretty much have things covered internationally and will for decades to come, especially if they ever figure out how to reconfigure the airspace over NYC (something I keep hearing about every few months, but nothing ever seems to get done about it).

Cory6188

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:09 am

The problem is, is there any location where there is a parcel of land that is large enough in the NYC area where an airport could be built? Furthermore, any open space large enough for an airport would end up being so far away (1 hour or more) that it really wouldn't be an NYC-area airport anymore.

hz747300

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:35 am

In order for SWF to be made into an appealing location for another NYC metro airport, it would have to have direct, high-speed rail links. Not rail links to Poughkeepsie, or Newburgh, then a 20 minute bus ride. If they are willing to put forth that type of investment, then it could work. But you are looking at least 20-25 years for this type of thing to start to develop.
Keep on truckin'...