chrisnh

Is AA De-emphasizing Boston?

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:00 am

Recent news about AA planning to halt mainline flying from Providence (PVD) would suggest (at least to some) that the carrier wants to focus at Boston instead. But I also heard that AA will cut Boston service quite a bit...from some 70+ daily mainline flights down to 40+. I guess we've been seeing small signs: transcon 737s (ouch!) to LAX where 757s and 767s used to do that duty, and going from A300s to MD-80s on the very busy BOS-MIA route. That last move I don't quite get.

Anyway, is BOS sliding backwards on the list of AA cities??

Chris in NH

airstatdfw

RE: Is AA De-emphasizing Boston?

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:07 am

Eagle is going to pull out of BOS, reducing the daily flights. I hear that they couldn't compete well on the shuttle service with RJ's.

AirStatDFW

Cadet57

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:11 am

Quoting AirStatDFW (Reply 1):
I hear that they couldn't compete well on the shuttle service with RJ's

Ya, i never understood why they did that, but is there any extra '80's or 738's available to fill the gap? But that leads me to a question, was their "shuttle" even succesful? I mean compared to US or DL's? Would it even be worth restarting?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

FURUREFA

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:13 am

Is eagle really pulling out ALL service from BOS or only the shuttle routes? Isnt BOS an eagle hub?

matt

airstatdfw

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 3):
Is eagle really pulling out ALL service from BOS or only the shuttle routes? Isnt BOS an eagle hub?

I'm not sure if all eagle flights are leaving but I know the eagle hub is leaving BOS. AE wasn't doing that well there, and I think they want to free some more aircraft up for other areas in the system.

AirStatDFW

chrisnh

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:18 am

I don't know if there is a 'real' or 'implied' revolt against the 'little' jets, but it seems to me that most people--given the choice--would prefer a mainline jet. I'm sure there are passengers would couldn't tell a 737-800 from a cement mixer. But there are many seasoned flyers--indeed, the 'high yield' market--that is pretty savvy when it comes to choosing service based on aircraft.

Chris in NH

MAH4546

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting ChrisNH (Thread starter):
And going from A300s to MD-80s on the very busy BOS-MIA route.

They went to 757s and added a 6th daily year-round flight. This has nothing to do with anything more than AA simplying what planes fly where. No more A300s to Boston saves in maintence costs. It used to be 2x S80/2x AB6/1x 757. 6x 757s is roughly the same capacity.

transcon 737s (ouch!) to LAX where 757s and 767s used to do that duty,

AA's 738s are far, far nicer than their 757s in just about every respect. Outside of lost capacity, that is an upgrade to the customer. Besides, though, no more 738s to Boston after 12 Febraury. That flight becomes a 757 again.
a.

tinpusher007

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:56 am

Maybe if they cut flights, DL will finally beef up their sked there and dominate BOS like they should. They have been neck and neck for years and AA has always had the lead in the int'l markets. I don't think there is room for two carriers fighting to be number one.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

BigGSFO

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:35 am

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 7):
Maybe if they cut flights, DL will finally beef up their sked there and dominate BOS like they should.

DL seems to be more interested in ATL, JFK and SLC these days and pulling down domestic service in favor of international. I wouldn't get my hopes up for DL to build-up BOS into a substantial operation.

I find this topic a little counter-intuitive since BOS had been mentioned a few months back about a launching point for 757 transatlantic flying. I can see an Eagle scaleback, but not international, any more transcons (ex. SAN) or hub flying. But who knows. I could be wrong or this could be a false alarm.

chrisnh

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:47 am

On BOS-MIA I was thinking that the A300s were perfect for the 'steamer-trunk' briggade that heads for the Caribbean cruises. Isn't BOS-MIA mostly for cruise ship traffic? And that means tons 'o luggage, which the A300s--with their legendary belly capacity--were well suited for?

I applaud AA for their European service out of Boston...the two daily 777s to Heathrow, the 767-300 to Paris, and the 757s to Ireland and Manchester (?). They've been pretty steadfast on European service while Delta tried and failed on one route (Gatwick) and just did a bunch of talking about European service but have yet to do anything. For an airline with a supposed big commitment to Boston, Delta has been pretty fickle: All talk and no action on European service, and TWO failed attempts at transcon. I don't know what will become of Song's transcon service when they morph back into Delta, but if they say sayonara to transcons AGAIN that will make THREE failed attempts.

flypdx

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:55 am

transcon 737s (ouch!)

I would much prefer to fly a 738 transcon than an AA 757....

jfklganyc

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:04 am

"I'm not sure if all eagle flights are leaving but I know the eagle hub is leaving BOS. AE wasn't doing that well there, and I think they want to free some more aircraft up for other areas in the system."

Cite your source . . . because as someone with close ties to the particular company in question, I don't think you are giving us anything but speculation.

BOS is an Eagle hub. The others are LGA, MIA, SJU, MIA, ORD, DFW, and LAX. Eagle's hub in BOS was inherited from Business Express a long time ago. It's been a hub ever since. The BOS-LGA-DCA routes were also started a while ago. If they didn't make money they would have been cut a while ago aka LGA-BUF, LGA-MDW, JFK-ALB/BUF/ROC/SYR. AA doesn't hold a flight if it loses money. With that said, the NE flights aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Boston's future may actually depend a lot on what happens at JFK. It's no secret that Eagle will have 9 gates there. There is a lot of speculation of a 'dual-hub' for Eagle at JFK and LGA. This would probably close BOS.

Other than that rumor, BOS isn't going anywhere yet.

PJ

AA787

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:11 am

Do people think that we might see some of the aircraft if BOS is downsized for AA (especially 757s) to new JFK international or Trans-con flights? If not, where could they be headed?

AA787
ET In NYC

txkf2010

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:15 am

Lets face it B6 is kicking everyone a$$ out of Boston! Wooo
...Rastafari Stands Alone...

FrequentFlyKid

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:15 am

Not to get off topic, but from strictly a passenger viewpoint the 757's are near the bottom of my list as far as comfort. I have only flown CO and DL 757's and they are by far the most uncomfortable planes in their respective fleet. I have heard the same from most people that fly regularly that they would much rather be on a 737/Airbus or even an MD-80.

A330323X

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:47 am

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 7):
Maybe if they cut flights, DL will finally beef up their sked there and dominate BOS like they should. They have been neck and neck for years and AA has always had the lead in the int'l markets. I don't think there is room for two carriers fighting to be number one.

Two carriers? Last I checked, there were three carriers fighting at BOS. And the one who offers the most seats, most departures, most mainline departures, most destinations (and is 2nd in pax carried) is neither AA nor DL.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

MAH4546

Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:51 pm

Quoting AA787 (Reply 12):
Do people think that we might see some of the aircraft if BOS is downsized for AA (especially 757s) to new JFK international or Trans-con flights? If not, where could they be headed?

Most of the BOS resources have been moved to Miami.
a.

tinpusher007

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting A330323X (Reply 15):
Two carriers? Last I checked, there were three carriers fighting at BOS. And the one who offers the most seats, most departures, most mainline departures, most destinations (and is 2nd in pax carried) is neither AA nor DL.

Point taken...I neglected to mention US...but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that DL and AA were the top two. Anyway, AA seemed to be the one that was making the strongest commitment to Beantown especially as far as int'l service is concerned. B6 is waiting in the wings. Before long, they might do the same thing to AA and DL AND US as they did at JFK...time will tell.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

FCYTravis

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:30 pm

I've always wondered why US didn't build their BOS focus city to be a bit less regional... a couple A321 transcons would be nice. As it stands, they may have a lot of flights but the farthest west they fly from BOS is, what, Pittsburgh?
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

A330323X

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:22 pm

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 18):
I've always wondered why US didn't build their
BOS focus city to be a bit less regional.

It was twice as large pre-9/11, over 200 dailies. For many years, they were by far the largest carrier there, as opposed to now just being one of the largest, with flights at times to places like FRA in Europe (and they had applied for and lost the BOS-CDG route to AA), and mainline flights to other focus cities, places like BWI, CLE, CMH, IND, MCI, but also to cities like BUF, EWR, IAD, MIA, ORF, RIC, ROC, YYZ and all the usual Florida cities. At the end, many of the mainline flights went to MetroJet; MetroJet flew from BOS to ATL, CMH, FLL, MCO, MDW, PBI, RDU, RSW, TPA. Their decline has come about a third from ending the MetroJet markets, about a third from cutting some of the previous mainline markets (switching the remaining to RJs), and about a third from cutting very-short-haul Express routes like BOS to PWM, BGR, RUT, LEB, HYA, MVY, ABE, AVP, ACK, ITH, ELM, BGM, BDL, BTV, PVD. (All this just refers to the last 10 years or so.) Of course, they've added some markets, most notably almost all of their Caribbean presence, which now extends to 7 markets--AUA, BDA, CUN, MBJ, NAS, PUJ, SJU. Except BDA, all have started since 2003. Of course, they're generally highly seasonal, and most don't see daily service.

As it stands, they may have a lot of flights but the farthest west they fly from BOS is, what, Pittsburgh?

PHX and LAS.  Smile

Other than that, IND.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

SESGDL

Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:50 pm

US, DL, and AA all fight it out at BOS. DL carries the most passengers, and either US or AA has the most destinations and departures. All 3 carriers take some distinction at BOS for being the biggest in some category. BOS has unfortunately suffered from having too many carriers with medium/large size operations and no carrier willing to make BOS a more significant city. With its proximity to JFK/EWR/LGA and even PHL and IAD/BWI/DCA nearby all having hubs, it's unlikely that BOS will ever be anymore than a focus city. With that being said, I doubt that AE will leave BOS altogether. AA/AE have a substantial operation out of BOS and cutting Eagle completely would put them at a competitive disadvantage, which AA doesn't want.

Jeremy

B752OS

Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:04 pm

I am curious if AA, with the good success of the MAN and SNN flights, would consider adding more service to Europe with the use of the 752s, perhaps a flight to BRU, MAD, or LIS could work out? In addition, perhaps the CDG flight will go year round, with the 752 being used for the months it was normally not operating.

I read in another thread that AA intends to start up the MSY flights again.

BOS is an odd city for anyone to have a hub in. In AAs case, it doesnt have the large amounts of cruise, connecting(Latin America) and leisure traffic of Miami, or the geographic location of a DFW, STL or ORD. BOS is going to see an increase in pax and should surpass pre 9/11 numbers.

I agree with MAH, the AA 738s are much better in terms of comfort and quality than thier 752s.

A330323X

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:29 pm

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 20):
US, DL, and AA all fight it out at BOS. DL carries the most passengers, and either US or AA has the most destinations and departures. All 3 carriers take some distinction at BOS for being the biggest in some category.

US has the most total departures (due to the prop flights the other airlines don't offer, and the hourly full Shuttle service to DCA compared to every-other-hour on the other airlines). AA previously was #1 here, but they've cut back on a number of Eagle routes.

US has offered the most mainline departures for a very long time (due to mainline on the DCA Shuttle compared to a few RJs on the other airlines, and also the PHL pseudo-shuttle).

For seats offered, US was #3 until recently. They've jumped all the way up to #1 due to a combination of AA and DL cutting flights, and US adding the HP LAS/PHX flights to its numbers.

US offers the most total destinations, and the most mainline destinations. I believe DL offers the most year-round destinations, since a number of AA's and US's international destinations are seasonal. US offers more less-than-daily destinations than the other two.

AA offers the most international destinations. AA offers the most European service. US offers the most Caribbean destinations, but AA offers more capacity.

For pax carried, US was #3 until recently. Now they're #2, having passed AA due to AA cutting flights and US adding the HP LAS/PHX flights to its numbers. DL is #1 in pax carried, having also passed AA to get there.

The reason US offers more seats but carries fewer pax is due to the low loads on the Shuttle flights; since US offers more Shuttle flights (due to the full BOS-DCA Shuttle), it thus has a lower load-factor for the station than the other airlines.

And I'm sure you could come up with numerous other metrics with each of the three coming on top for various ones. I think this shows that they've all got substantial operations there, and are all competitive, some aiming for different markets than others.

And again, this is just talking about now and the recent past. Through most of the 90's, US was by far the largest carrier at BOS in nearly all measurements, its international service being the one area in which it lacked.

Personally, I've always thought that the first of the three to make a real move to take over the city will meet with great success, with the other two retreating to greener pastures rather than deal with a protracted battle at a marginal focus city. I long thought that US should have done it while it had the advantage of operating from the newest and prettiest terminal at the airport. Now, DL holds that advantage, though the US terminal is still quite nice compared to most. All three airlines face the great disadvantage of not having customs/immigration facilities in their respective terminals, though they've each been promised such facilities by MassPort at various times. Sadly, though, none of the three airlines have taken my advice and really made a play for BOS.

A330323X

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:35 pm

Quoting B752OS (Reply 21):
BOS is an odd city for anyone to have a hub in. In AAs case, it doesnt have the large amounts of cruise, connecting(Latin America) and leisure traffic of Miami, or the geographic location of a DFW, STL or ORD. BOS is going to see an increase in pax and should surpass pre 9/11 numbers.

Yes, the biggest problem with turning BOS into hub is its poor geographic location for domestic connections. Business Express and US Airways Express (through Allegheny, CommutAir, and Colgan) were the two airlines who previously offered service to the very-short-haul destinations in the area that would be essential for a connecting hub, but nearly all of those markets have since seen their BOS service discontinued.

irev210

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:34 pm

I wonder about the people who say they hate the AA-757's how often they fly.

I LOVE the AA 757, with the exit rows mounted at the bulk head, 10A or 10F being my favorite, window with no seat in front, but not a bulk head.

Plus, the 757 first class cabin is much bigger than 737, upgrade chances are much higher.

jayspilot

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:25 pm

bostons biggest problem in becomming a domestic hub is the fact that it is the last big city with no real domestic feed from points north or east of it. with that said, boston can work great as an international hub being half way to europe.

apodino

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:41 pm

I've always wondered why US didn't build their BOS focus city to be a bit less regional... a couple A321 transcons would be nice. As it stands, they may have a lot of flights but the farthest west they fly from BOS is, what, Pittsburgh?

Actually, its now LAS with the merger.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the plan pre 9-11 for an FIS facility in Terminal B to be shared by AA and US, where both airlines would keep control of the gates on there respective side and then the gates both funnel into the same FIS? I think this would work out well for both US and AA, though I suspect PHL will remain the main transatlantic hub for US. But if you ask me, I think that the Terminal B garage should face the wrecking ball, and then they can build a new check in and baggage claim facility for everybody, as well as consolodate all terminal B operations into one TSA checkpoint. But AA and US don't want to give up the parking garage either. Road wise, its one of the worst terminals in the US for picking anyone up.

FCYTravis

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:01 am

I completely ignored the America West flights - duh! Stupid me  Smile

As for putative transcons out of BOS, I'm going to answer my own question and guess that US has better things to do with their limited Airbi fleet than fly more low-yield cross-country flights in competition with Song, et al.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

flypdx

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:13 am

Quoting Irev210 (Reply 24):
Plus, the 757 first class cabin is much bigger than 737, upgrade chances are much higher.

And what happens when you're stuck in coach? That is where the problem is..Most of us don't constantly get upgraded to first. THe only 757 which I have found myself to be remotely comfortable on was a UA 757..Their economy seats are quite comfortable.

frequentflyer

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:28 am

Quoting AirStatDFW (Reply 1):
Eagle is going to pull out of BOS, reducing the daily flights. I hear that they couldn't compete well on the shuttle service with RJ's.

Well I tell you, flying those EMB135s gets old after a while... especially compared to B6 190s.

Quoting FrequentFlyKid (Reply 14):
757's are near the bottom of my list as far as comfort

Maybe but ther are more fun when half-empty on takeoff  Wink
Take off and live

chrisnh

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:33 am

I would think the biggest issue between 757s and 737-800s is lavatories. They are (of course) most in need on transcon nonstops, so does the 737-800 have the same number of lavs as the 757? If so, that is a plus for the 738 because the ratio of passengers to lavs is lower (fewer people for the same number of lavs).

Chris in NH

travelin man

Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:30 am

I too, do not get the whole "the 757 is uncomfortable" thing. I fly all the time, and to me there is not much difference between a 757 and 738. Both are 3+3 seating, and the seat pitch isn't different (especially now that AA removed MRTC). What does "more uncomfortable" mean?

(Note: I am speaking of AA and UA 757s, with which I've had the most experience.)

And it's true, nothing beats the take-off of a 757 out of SNA -- it's a roller coaster ride!

RobertS975

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting Jayspilot (Reply 25):
bostons biggest problem in becomming a domestic hub is the fact that it is the last big city with no real domestic feed from points north or east of it. with that said, boston can work great as an international hub being half way to europe

BOS is not geared up to be an effective international hub as long as MassPort insists that all international flights clear Customs at terminal E.

Crosscountry

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:15 am

Hope this doesn't happen!
I've just booked MAN-JFK via BOS on AA with seats on those RJ's down to LGA!!! The trip is in September (god bless the AA fare sale, tempted me away from VS!)
Don't want to be messed around with re-booking or switching to another carrier.
Wonder if they might re-route me via LHR if the shuttle flights were pulled?

PHLBOS

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:43 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 19):
MetroJet flew from BOS to ATL, CMH, FLL, MCO, MDW, PBI, RDU, RSW, TPA.

MetroJet also flew BOS-BWI as well; a route that now only has FL being the sole mainline carrier offering the service.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

irelayer

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 31):
I too, do not get the whole "the 757 is uncomfortable" thing. I fly all the time, and to me there is not much difference between a 757 and 738. Both are 3+3 seating, and the seat pitch isn't different (especially now that AA removed MRTC). What does "more uncomfortable" mean?

Me too...I don't get it. 757's are among the most comfortable aircraft, properly configured, to fly N/S transcon. The **only** thing to complain about (if you want to complain about something) is that a lot of them have older IFE and the engine noise is a bit louder than the newer 319/320 and 737s plying those routes (more comforting to me though).

-IR

ScottB

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:46 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 22):
US offers the most total destinations, and the most mainline destinations.

Actually, US and DL are tied at BOS for mainline destinations (14 for each, by my count); B6 will also have 14 destinations from BOS once the flights to AUS, RIC, and IAD start, but AA is the clear leader here for now with 16 mainline destinations. Long-term, B6 will probably offer the most mainline destinations and flights from BOS, given their plans to operate 11 gates.

US used to have quite a bit of point-to-point mainline service from Boston, with Metrojet to most of the big Florida destinations, as well as mainline to places like BUF, ROC, ORF, etc.

As for AA, it is a bit disappointing to see how much they've pulled down what they gained with the Business Express purchase. But then, it's happened before in plenty of other markets.

TUNisia

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting TXKF2010 (Reply 13):
Lets face it B6 is kicking everyone a$$ out of Boston! Wooo

Yeah, that'll be great. Just B6 left at BOS /sarcasm

Anways, AA has done a great job at BOS with their international flights. BTW does anyone know if flight 155/156 (LHR service) are cut back in the winter? I don't see that flight ever operating on Saturdays anymore. Is this recent?

peace
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

jetboy319

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:41 pm

Quoting B752OS (Reply 21):
BOS is an odd city for anyone to have a hub in

Quoting A330323X (Reply 23):
the biggest problem with turning BOS into hub is its poor geographic location for domestic connections

Hmmm.... I'm just curious then, how JetBlue has been able to make it JFK. Pretty much the same "Geographic Location" and it works for them.

A330323X

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:46 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 26):
Actually, its now LAS with the merger.

Didn't I already say that?  

Quoting Apodino (Reply 26):
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the plan pre 9-11 for an FIS facility in Terminal B to be shared by AA and US, where both airlines would keep control of the gates on there respective side and then the gates both funnel into the same FIS? I think this would work out well for both US and AA,

Yes, that was the plan, and it would've been great, and I *guarantee* you that both AA and US would be offering more international service out of BOS than they currently do.

But Massport does what Massport wants to do, changes its mind when it sees fit, and generally likes to ruin good ideas.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 34):
MetroJet also flew BOS-BWI as well; a route that now only has FL being the sole mainline carrier offering the service.

Yes, you're right, though I don't really count it, as it was never planned to be MetroJet (though there were rumors) nor really marketed as such. The route was regular mainline right up until 9/11. After that, they immediately canceled all of the BOS MetroJet routes (which were only Florida routes at that point), but needed to get the previously booked pax to Florida, so they threw MetroJet on BOS-BWI to connect them there for MetroJet's final two months. I vaguely seem to think they also wanted to have some 732s going through BOS for maintenance purposes as well, but don't quote me on that. Immediately upon the MetroJet shutdown, BOS-BWI was back to regular mainline until it ended in June 2002.

Between the MetroJet shutdown and DCA being closed, US was flying a lot of crazy routes with crazy equipment those few months.  

Quoting ScottB (Reply 36):
Actually, US and DL are tied at BOS for mainline destinations (14 for each, by my count); B6 will also have 14 destinations from BOS once the flights to AUS, RIC, and IAD start, but AA is the clear leader here for now with 16 mainline destinations.

You're right, AA does have more mainline destinations; for some reason, I forgot to count them.  

But I got 15 for US to 14 for DL. (AUA, BDA, CLT, CUN, DCA, FLL, LAS, LGA, MBJ, NAS, PHL, PHX, PIT, PUJ, SJU)

All my other figures should be right though.

Quoting ScottB (Reply 36):
US used to have quite a bit of point-to-point mainline service from Boston, with Metrojet to most of the big Florida destinations, as well as mainline to places like BUF, ROC, ORF, etc.

I think I already covered that pretty well in Reply 19.  

Quoting Jetboy319 (Reply 38):
Hmmm.... I'm just curious then, how JetBlue has been able to make it JFK. Pretty much the same "Geographic Location" and it works for them.

Er, no, they're not the same geographic location. JFK is a good deal better situated than BOS for domestic connecting traffic. Still, JFK's location isn't as good as some, that is true...but they more than make up for it with something called O&D traffic, of which it has far more than BOS, or just about anywhere else for that matter.

[Edited 2006-01-10 05:48:39]

ScottB

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:26 pm

Quoting A330323X (Reply 39):
But I got 15 for US to 14 for DL. (AUA, BDA

What BDA service? It's been served in the past, but it's not being served at present.

A330323X

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:39 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 40):
What BDA service? It's been served in the past, but it's not being served at present.

It's seasonal, runs daily every summer. It's in the schedules to run May 7 to September 2 this year.

And I *explicitly stated*:

I believe DL offers the most year-round destinations, since a number of AA's and US's international destinations are seasonal.

ScottB

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:42 pm

Quoting A330323X (Reply 41):
It's seasonal, runs daily every summer. It's in the schedules to run May 7 to September 2 this year.

And I *explicitly stated*:

I believe DL offers the most year-round destinations, since a number of AA's and US's international destinations are seasonal.

Actually, I did make a mistake counting Delta's mainline destinations from BOS; they are 15: ATL, BDA, CVG, FLL, RSW, LAS, LAX, NAS, LGA, MCO, SLC, SRQ, TPA, DCA (once daily), and PBI. The SFO flight on Song only ended a week ago as well, though it hasn't yet been entirely expunged from the future schedules.

PHLBOS

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting A330323X (Reply 39):
Yes, you're right, though I don't really count it, as it was never planned to be MetroJet (though there were rumors) nor really marketed as such. The route was regular mainline right up until 9/11. After that, they immediately canceled all of the BOS MetroJet routes (which were only Florida routes at that point), but needed to get the previously booked pax to Florida, so they threw MetroJet on BOS-BWI to connect them there for MetroJet's final two months.

IIRC, MetroJet's BOS-BWI existed before 9/11. The reason I know that was because I was checking out BOS-PHL fares for my brother that summer and just for the heck of it looked at BOS-BWI as a lower-cost alternative (back then, there US-MJ's BOS-BWI fares were about 1/4 to 1/2 the price of US' BOS-PHL fares). Nearly all but maybe 2 of US' BOS-BWI routes that summer were listed as MetroJet's routes. Unfortunately, due to to our work schedules, neither my brother nor I had the opportunity to book the flight so neither of us could comment on MetroJet's service.

Whether MetroJet's BOS-BWI service was an accidental/contingency add-on (as you stated) or planned, I do not know; but I do know (and I have stated this several times before) that MetroJet was already in the process of being phased out before 9/11 as a result of the long-since-shot-down UA/US merger. The tragic events of that day just accelerated the demise.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

jcarv

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Tunisia (Reply 37):
Anways, AA has done a great job at BOS with their international flights. BTW does anyone know if flight 155/156 (LHR service) are cut back in the winter? I don't see that flight ever operating on Saturdays anymore. Is this recent?

That flt doesn't operate in the winter on Saturdays. That aircraft makes the SDQ run on Saturdays in the winter.

B752OS

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 42):
The SFO flight on Song only ended a week ago as well, though it hasn't yet been entirely expunged from the future schedules.

I was just looking at the timetables for oneworl, as DL is aprt of it and is shows DL running daily non-stop flights between BOS-SFO for quite some time, I looked all the way to the middle of March. One of the flights in an AZ codeshare.

ScottB

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:34 am

Quoting B752OS (Reply 45):
I was just looking at the timetables for oneworl, as DL is aprt of it and is shows DL running daily non-stop flights between BOS-SFO for quite some time

(1) Delta is not in oneworld, it is in SkyTeam.
(2) Look at Delta's own timetable at http://images.delta.com/delta/pdfs/flight_schedules.pdf. The SFO route on Song was discontinued on 1/3/06, although a one-stop-no-change-of-planes (via SLC) flight commences on 1/31/06.

To get into more detail about the SFO-BOS route in the future schedules, it is bookable on certain days during the spring and summer on delta.com, but the only booking availability is at the full refundable Y fare, which usually means that the flight is to be dropped.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos