Bofredrik
Topic Author

Why Are Cabin Crew Hiding In The Galley?

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:56 am

Many people have complaints over cabin crew that just do what they should but nothing more. After serving the meal is they sitting in the galley the rest of the flight... Is it true & your experience?

airplane  "Welcome onboard this 8 hour flight between Stockholm and New York. Very short after takeoff will we serve you all the meals and drinks you need. We will then come back just before landing... Have a nice.... Zzzzzzzz..."

Ps. I must tell you of a Olympic Airways flight between Larnaca and Athens. All passengers who wanted wine to the lunch got 1 full bottle (75 cl) each!
Then did the cabin crew go to the galley and smoked the rest of the flight... Ds.

UALFAson

RE: Why Are Cabin Crew Hiding In The Galley?

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:23 am

Yes, yes, there are some times when the FAs disappear rather than continue to offer service, but there is a legitimate logistical reason too.

Keep in mind many U.S.-Europe flights are 6.5-8 overnight hours in the air. If you figure it takes 1-1.5 hours for dinner and then another hour or so for breakfast, that leaves about 4-6 hours in between for passengers to actually sleep, which is what almost everyone tries to do. So the FAs turn off the cabin lights and draw the galley curtains to keep out light and some noise from the pax seated around the galleys.

On UA (and I'm sure other airlines), FAs are supposed to come around hourly at least offering water, if not coffee and lemonade as well. Otherwise, with 98 percent of the cabin asleep, I'm not sure what other services people expect FAs to be doing.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

lincoln

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting Bofredrik (Thread starter):
Many people have complaints over cabin crew that just do what they should but nothing more. After serving the meal is they sitting in the galley the rest of the flight... Is it true & your experience?

I've only done domestic transcons, but I don't really see what the problem would be. FAs in the main cabin do the drink service, do the meal service (and on CO do another drink service, followed by another drink service), and sit or stand in the galley in between unless someone rings their call button (an event that I personally feel should be reserved for near death experiences, but I digress).

This is much preferable to me than, say, having a stream of flight attendants run up and down the asiles every 5 minutes asking if "everything's ok"-- if it wasn't beleive me, you'd be the first to know!

Remember FAs are there primarially to ensure your safety, anyways.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Orion737

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:32 am

Yes, thats why those long haul flights are so popular. They offer the perfect opportunity to hide behind the galley curtain, playing cards, gossiping, slagging their airline off etc etc.

Not all do, of course but I have been on transatlantic flights with US carriers and they are only present in the cabin 50% of the flight, at the most!

AA767400

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 3):
Not all do, of course but I have been on transatlantic flights with US carriers and they are only present in the cabin 50% of the flight, at the most!

Here is the real question, What do you think Flight attendants should be doing after the meal service? The Crew does a walk every 15 minutes in the cabin. That is all there is to be done. The call button should be for situations that warrant it. For instance, if you are a passenger that is stuck in the middle and can't get out without waking up others.

People seem to find that Crew members are "hiding" in the galley, when in reality that is the only place for them to go. Where would they go? Stand over you in the aisle for hours on end. Closing the curtain keeps from disturbing others near by.
"The low fares airline."

Tango-Bravo

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:08 am

From my perspective as a passenger, I very much appreciate flight attendants who are, like an airline ad from the 1950s put it, "attentive yet unobtrusive." As other replies have already well-stated, it seems most pax (myself included), apart from meal/snack/beverage services, prefer to be left to read or snooze or watch/listen to IFE or whatever during the cruise portion of a flight, regardless of time of day but especially during nightime hours. In the interest of honoring the preference of virtually all (if not all) pax for "peace and quiet," what else for flight attendants to do when not serving food/beverages or making mandatory safety announcements/demos? For requests at other times there's always the call button.

FrequentFlyKid

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:11 am

Not to be smart, but probably the same reason we all occasionally try to avoid doing work while on the job...(not that it's right or anything)

bwaflyer

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:17 am

An to be honest, you'd get far more complaints from passengers if we were constantly up and down the aisles, especially on night flights. If crew are ignoring call bells, leaving the toilets to get in a mess, or missing water runs, then that is a legitimate complaint, and should be brought to the attention of the airline concerned.

Tod

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 5):
what else for flight attendants to do when not serving food/beverages or making mandatory safety announcements/demos?

Wish their employer had sprung for one of Flight Structures crewrest products?

Tod

fxramper

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:33 am

I agree with above statements, I don't want a flight attendant pushing a cart up and down the eisle on a 8 hr leg to Europe, while I'm trying to sleep. Dinner, and breakfast service is fine with me. If yor absolutely need something, just get up and ask, I've always had great responses from cabin crews when I've asked. Often times, being given two or three bottles of liquor, wine, crackers and cheese, fruit plates, etc.

Smile

boeingfanyyz

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 am

From my perspective as a passenger, I very much appreciate flight attendants who are, like an airline ad from the 1950s put it, "attentive yet unobtrusive."

I agree. Most people, when talking about first class, will say how attentive and out-going they are. However, when you are on a 24-hour trip from YYZ-SYD, I'm sure the last thing you want is to have one of AC's old, ugly flight attendants getting up in your face asking if you are OK.

To conclude, flight attendant attentiveness is appreciated, but to a certain extent (unless of course you are flying with Virgin)!

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

Cory6188

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:22 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 2):
(and on CO do another drink service, followed by another drink service)

I've definitely noticed that - the F/A's do beverage services obsessively. I flew EWR-LAX last year and they did 4 (!) beverage cart runs during the flight. I think that the max that they were out of the aisles was about 45 minutes. Even on PBI-EWR on a 73G, they came around 3 times.

brokenrecord

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:24 am

For the most part this is true. There is one flight worth mentioning though where this did not occur.

On a UA A320 from SAC-IAD last year, the FA made rounds through the F cabin every 30 minutes or so to check on drinks. I was pretty well soused by the completion of the flight, and the FA was kind enough to make sure that I was not going to be driving home from the airport. =)

Sabena332

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:25 am

. I must tell you of a Olympic Airways flight between Larnaca and Athens. All passengers who wanted wine to the lunch got 1 full bottle (75 cl) each!
Then did the cabin crew go to the galley and smoked the rest of the flight...

That is what I am calling perfect service, I had drunk the bottle of wine and then I had joined the cabin crew for a smoke in the galley.  Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

letsgetwet

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:42 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 13):

That is what I am calling perfect service, I had drunk the bottle of wine and then I had joined the cabin crew for a smoke in the galley.

Well there is no smoking on any US aircraft.

Bofredrik
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:11 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 14):

It is no smoking in Europe to...

MarshalN

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:21 am

On a transpac flight if the crew try to do anything more than coming around every hour with water the pax will get very annoyed. There's really not much to do for most of the 14 hours you're in the plane.

aa757first

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:24 pm

At TWA, flight attendants were (reasonably) expected to walk up and down the aisles and visit the lavatories once every fifteen minutes.

AAndrew

S5FA170

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:36 pm

At my airline our service levels are dictated by mileage. Most of our flights only require one beverage/snack service. After that we offer a water service every 30 minutes, and every 10 minutes we do a cabin walk-through. Besides coming through to pick up trash in the cabin - what would you like me to be doing?

In the galley I may not always be doing what you think I'm doing. I don't sit down and chat or read until my galley is cleaned, it is organized, and I've made sure it is not over-stocked or under-stocked.

-Tony
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

rdynyc

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:49 pm

Do you ever get tired of passengers asking you "How much more time do we have?"

HBJZA

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:04 pm

Quoting Bwaflyer (Reply 7):
Not to be smart, but probably the same reason we all occasionally try to avoid doing work while on the job...(not that it's right or anything)

If you'd work in an office, the average working time is 8 hours. During this time you get the opportunity to go out for a break or even lunch. The life of an F/A is totally different. They are "stuck" all the duration of their working time with passengers watching them. An F/A hidden behind a curtain is probably taking a break or even eating (yes they are human).

In short they never have a single second where they can isolate or do whatever they want

klmcedric

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:46 pm

Bare in mind that on longhaul flights, after the main service the crew is
divided in two, and that one part goes on rest. That means that for the
next 4-6 hours after dinner service only half of the crew is present in the
cabin.

Eirjet

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 4):
The call button should be for situations that warrant it. For instance, if you are a passenger that is stuck in the middle and can't get out without waking up others.

And you think that warrants the use of the call button, it would be quicker to gently interrupt the passengers beside you personally.
Aviation has a 100% record, we've never left one up there......

Tod

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting Eirjet (Reply 22):
warrants the use of the call button, it would be quicker to gently interrupt the passengers

Maybe this should be a seperate topic, but what is the proper etiquette.

Wake up the aisle guy or hit the call button?
Personally, I've never touched the call button, but if the FA doesn't mind, it might be handy sometimes.
So FA's, what do you think?

Tod

Timology

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 2):
someone rings their call button (an event that I personally feel should be reserved for near death experiences, but I digress).

I really agree with you on that. I see people ringing just for a drink or just to talk to someone when their companion's asleep..
"Arm in arm we are the harmless sociopaths"

DrDeke

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:58 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 4):
The call button should be for situations that warrant it. For instance, if you are a passenger that is stuck in the middle and can't get out without waking up others.

What would be the point of using the call button in this case? I don't understand what a flight attendant could do to help this situation.

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 14):
Well there is no smoking on any US aircraft.

Yeah, that's the policy, but I've heard stories...

Quoting RDYNYC (Reply 19):
"How much more time do we have?"

Thanks for reminding me; I shall have to make sure to ask if we are "almost there yet" the next time I fly somewhere.
 bouncy 

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

BestWestern

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:58 pm

I very much appreciate flight attendants who are... "attentive yet unobtrusive."

Fly Korean....
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

SlamClick

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:09 am

Define irony: A bunch of guys at work, posting on a company computer their complaints about flight attendants not doing their job.

Roughly one third of all airline passenges get an aisle seat. They get jostled every time someone walks by. I'm grateful to have the f/a's disappear for an hour or so at a time.

Besides, that is what the call button is for.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

remymartin11

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:50 am

I can understand the "galley hiding" in coach. But in premium cabins, the staff should come out at least every 30 minutes after formal meal service is over. If I'm paying $4K to fly F JFK-LAX or $8K JFK-LIM, they should discreetly and quietly move around the cabin to see if those who are awake need a refill or anything.

The latin based flight crews are the worst. They are the masters at the "curtain pull" and hiding. Heaven forbid you ring the call button, and even worse if you ask for more ice.

Anyone been on Singapore lately. They get it.

LAX2IADandORD

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:21 am

As most of the comments have indicated, just what else are the FA's supposed to do? I can't think of many jobs where there is constant interaction with the customer. At some point, you want to be left alone. Therefore, I have no problem with FA's congregating in the galley's during their downtime. It is more obvious because we are all locked in a metal tube at 35,000 feet with nowhere to go.

However, what I do take exception with are FA's who act "put out" when you do ring your call button or even when you get up and walk to the galley and ask for something or if you need to cross quickly across the galley (in wide bodies) to use the restroom or find a different way to your seat if another aisle is blocked. I've had occassion where they look at you like YOU are intruding on them. Reasons for ringing the call button seem to be a matter of opinion, but unless it is excessive, that IS their job. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it sours the whole travel experience. As a frequent traveler in F and C class, I don't get it much but on occassion, even up front, you'll get a cross look or two.

foxdelta

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:26 am

Anyway, where do you expect them to stay during the flight? Other than crew rest areas...

Cheers  chat 

FlyGuyClt

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:29 am

While I respect everyone's opinions. Here are some more reasons why they are not "in your face" 24/7.

-They actually get a break on most flights over 8 hours.
-Business men don't want to be bothered.
-Customers using the AVOD systems don't want to be bothered.
-People are sleeping and get ticked with a lot of moment in the cabin.
-The real travelling public is different from child rants on here.

and finally.

-YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE US.
-Use your call bell. I like most professionals will be happy to get you what you want when you want it in between services.
-Feel free to come to the galley. Stretch your legs in the aisle. (Just don't plan on staying for the entire flight unless you want to put on an apron and help.   )
-Communication goes along way. Let the crew know your expectations. It was just like the lady who yelled at me "this flight was freezing" my reply, I would have gladly have told the Captain to warm it up for you. Please let us know next time. So she was miserable for 6 hours when a 10 second conversation could have made it perfect for her. Gotta speak up folks !

Safe Flying  

[Edited 2006-01-10 17:31:32]

[Edited 2006-01-10 17:33:46]
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

SRT75

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:45 am

I can only share an story.

I was on a NW LAX-MKE flight in F. (A319) Only a three hour flight, but it leaves at 5 p.m. Pacific (which is 7 in Wisconsin), so a fair amount of people fell asleep.

I was in a window seat, and the seat next to me was occupied by a sleeping person. The meal was served within 45 minutes of takeoff.

After the meal, no coffee offering.

After the meal, the F F/A vanished into the forward galley and was joined by one of the coach F/As.

One hour passed, and they didn't get up to see if anyone awake wanted anything.

Another hour passed.

We were within 1 hour of landing, and I was thirsty (the NW Asian chicken bowl is loaded with salt). I just wanted some water. Unfortunately, I was trapped in a window seat, with a slumbering pax in the aisle. Do I ring the call button? It just seemed so taboo. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

So I ended up just staring at that galley curtain, hoping that a F/A would emerge with a tray of water.

Finally they emerged as we began our initial descent, armed with nothing. I had to ask for some water, and was finally provided with a drink.

Probably the end of a long day for the crew. Simply one bad experience. But, I think that crew, even on night flights, should walk around (quietly) with a tray of water (no cart) every now and then for those people who are awake.

StanstedFlyer

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 17):
At TWA, flight attendants were (reasonably) expected to walk up and down the aisles and visit the lavatories once every fifteen minutes.

Wow! How much water does a FA have to drink to go to the lav every 15 minutes?

I thought the job was all glamour, now I know the ugly truth!!

Silly
View the photos by C Newman on Airliners.net!

777jaah

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting LAX2IADandORD (Reply 29):
don't get it much but on occasion, even up front, you'll get a cross look or two.

I've flown a few times AV routes to EZE, RIO and JFK, which are 5-6 hours flights, and all them departing 22:00. As you can imagine, dinner is served just as the Captain turns off the seatbelts lights. 1 hour into flight, most of the service is over, because most of people in Y class are either trying to sleep or focus on the movie (not exactly PTV's, but general LCD's each 4 rows). After the movies are over, lights are turn off and everybody goes to sleep. even FAs.

My problem is that I don't sleep in midnite flights, so sometimes I have to walk around in this widebodies and sit in the kitchen floor and get some liquor. Trust me, some FA have given me the "get out of my room" look. Others just are so sleep, they don't even realize I'm the only one serving anything in the plane (mainly scotch in my glass). Same thing happened to me in a AR BOG-EZE.

Next thursday I'll fly BOG-JFK in AV's Business. Don't expect too much of a difference.

In the other hand, service from these cities to BOG, very good. Maybe they work with solar batteries??? LOL

Have a nice one.
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

ClassicLover

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:06 am

It's really easy - be really nice to the F/As and they're really nice to you back. It works a charm for me! I go to the galley, they usually ask if I want anything, I say yes if I do, no if I don't and have a good old chat. Obviously you do this once the meal service has been over and done with for a good hour. I can imagine the reception I get would be quite different if I was rude, or if I was whining for more of something in the middle of service. Not that I whine  Smile

Obviously you can't go to the galley for a big chat on short haul, but on a 12 hour flight it's a hell of a lot of fun!

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

ltbewr

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:08 am

Don't forget that the cabin crew behind the curtain may be busy with other parts of their job. That can include processing paperwork, cleaning up from or preparing for the next food or beverage/snack service, eating, dealing with IFE set ups/issues, or just getting off their feet. On international flights, they also have to deal with duty-free sales as well as paperwork as to alcohol on board, process admittance paperwork for immigration and customs for the pax, the a/c and themselves.
Many may have been up for a lot more hours than you as they have a life outside of their f/a jobs, then add the time to perp for the shift, get to the airport and to their assigned flight, pre-flight prep, then work the flight, post-flight work, then to home or hotel at the end of their shift. I have found if it was between services and I wanted to get a drink/water, I would ask politely and be promptly served. Sometimes I get into discussions with them too.

777STL

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:14 am

Quoting FlyGuyClt (Reply 31):
-The real travelling public is different from child rants on here.

End of thread.

So what are they supposed to be doing on a 15 hour flight to Sydney or a 10 hour flight to London, hovering over you constantly? I don't know what you expect. I'd rather sleep than have an F/A harassing me every half an hour. I'm sure they feel the same way.

Quoting 777jaah (Reply 34):
My problem is that I don't sleep in midnite flights, so sometimes I have to walk around in this widebodies and sit in the kitchen floor and get some liquor. Trust me, some FA have given me the "get out of my room" look. Others just are so sleep, they don't even realize I'm the only one serving anything in the plane (mainly scotch in my glass). Same thing happened to me in a AR BOG-EZE.

You actually go and sit down in the galley? Wow.
PHX based

FlyGuyClt

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:14 am

[quote=SRT75,reply=32] can only share an story.

I was on a NW LAX-MKE flight in F. (A319) Only a three hour flight, but it leaves at 5 p.m. Pacific (which is 7 in Wisconsin), so a fair amount of people fell asleep.

I was in a window seat, and the seat next to me was occupied by a sleeping person. The meal was served within 45 minutes of takeoff.

After the meal, no coffee offering.

After the meal, the F F/A vanished into the forward galley and was joined by one of the coach F/As.

One hour passed, and they didn't get up to see if anyone awake wanted anything.

Another hour passed.

We were within 1 hour of landing, and I was thirsty (the NW Asian chicken bowl is loaded with salt). I just wanted some water. Unfortunately, I was trapped in a window seat, with a slumbering pax in the aisle. Do I ring the call button? It just seemed so taboo. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

So I ended up just staring at that galley curtain, hoping that a F/A would emerge with a tray of water.

Finally they emerged as we began our initial descent, armed with nothing. I had to ask for some water, and was finally provided with a drink.

Probably the end of a long day for the crew. Simply one bad experience. But, I think that crew, even on night flights, should walk around (quietly) with a tray of water (no cart) every now and then for those people who are awake.

AGAIN PLEASE COMMUNICATE WITH THE CREW. YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER. YOU WERE TRAPPED IN A WINDOW SEAT. YOU COULD HAVE ASKED FOR THAT WATER AN HOUR AGO AND GOT IT. INSTEAD YOU CHOSE TO SIT THERE AND CREATE ANXIETY WITH IN YOURSELF. A QUICK DING AND A 5 SECOND CONVERSATION COULD HAVE GOTTEN YOU WHAT YOU WANTED.
MAKE LIFE SIMPLE. COMMUNICATE FOLKS !

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

777jaah

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 37):
You actually go and sit down in the galley? Wow

It's faster to serve ice and scotch in the galley that ringing the call button, wake up the FA's and wait aprox 10 min for m drink. 45 min later I'll be doing the same. That's why I rather have an aisle seat and walk to the galley. In a few flights I've found very conversational FAs who also suffer from inflight insomnia, and have made the flight way more easy to deal with.

BTW, if you were an FA and in a 200+ pax are sleeping ( the only one not: me), I would go to sleep. Hey, trust me, when everyone's sleeping and you're not, you realize the problem is yours, so deal with it, and try to have a pleasant flight, you way, without disturbing everyone in the process.

Good luck.
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:41 am

And you think that warrants the use of the call button, it would be quicker to gently interrupt the passengers beside you personally.

If somebody woke me up because they didn't want to ring the bell, I'd be pissed. I mean, don't ring the button when they're busy, but if there are no FAs around, just push the damn button so they can come help you.

Quoting LAX2IADandORD (Reply 29):
I can't think of many jobs where there is constant interaction with the customer.

Cops.. Anytime a cop takes a coffee break, the citizens will complain that he's a slacker and isn't doing his job. Well, guess what, cops are human too.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

lincoln

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 35):
It's really easy - be really nice to the F/As and they're really nice to you back.

I think many times, they'd even settle for "Civil" or "Nice" if you don't feel like going for "Very Nice" -- but this is very true.

On Thanksgiving Day (US Holiday) and then again on Christmas Day my plans had me traveling, so I simply gave all of the FAs, pilots, gate agents, etc. a "Thank you" card.

On Thanksgiving the response was a bit underwhelming-- perhaps because I waited until the end of the flights to hand them out (and I wasn't really expecting any response anyways- I was just hoping to make their days brighter); on Chrismas about half way through each of my flights I went back to the galley and handed the flight attendants the cards. On the 2nd flight, the response was overwhelming- All of the flight attendants stopped by my seat to thank me personally, two asked if I needed anything or if they could buy me a drink (I politely declined), then at the end of the flight after the standard "Thank you for flying ..." was a "and we'd also like to extend a special thank you to the customer who provided us with the holliday cards. They are sincerly appreciated." -- followed by big smiles and another thank you as I got off.

I hope that I made their day somewhere near as pleasant as that made mine.

I think my underlying message is when dealing with anyone -- flight attendant, gate agent, etc. -- if you respect them and treat them like a human (and maybe even show that you appreciate what they're doing for you) you will get better service than if you treat them as some kind of less-than-human servant who "has" to obey your every beck and call.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

jetjack74

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:27 am

This can be very true, and it does fall on the shoulders of the crew to be visible in the cabin throughout the flight. At NW, we're supposed to do water-walks at least every 30-45 minutes, and sometimes this is done, but not always. I try to walk around the cabin about every 10-15 minutes on overnight, and international flights, mostly to keep myself awake, but also to see if anyone may flag me down for something. On our domestic flights that are over 3hrs in length, we're required to offer 2 beverage services. Most of the time, this isn't done and it gets on my nerves. I commute from the west coast, and almost never, does the crew do 2 beverage services. They give out the can to everyone on the first service(to people that may not want the can) and blow all the supplies so that there isn't enough to do a 2nd service, and then feel it's good enough to just a water-walk. When i'm the LFA, I make it point to tell the crew that I expect 2 beverage services on all flights longer than 3hrs, and that a water service is not sufficient. I tell them to conserve the number of pop, save enough to do 2 beverage services. I get the "rolling eyes" sometimes when I say this in the preflight brief, but it's part of the service.
Made from jets!

irelayer

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 27):
Define irony: A bunch of guys at work, posting on a company computer their complaints about flight attendants not doing their job.

LOL. You hit it right on the head.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 42):
I tell them to conserve the number of pop

You must be from the midwest! :P

For me, I couldn't care less what the FA's are doing. If I want something, I will walk back there and ask for it. Unless the FA is at least a mildly attractive female I really don't mind them hanging around the galley areas. You think pilots are hard at work for the entire flight? Read some of the pilot trip reports on here if you really think so...

What DO YOU do at work guys? Seriously.

-IR

[Edited 2006-01-10 19:48:49]

letsgetwet

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:55 am

My wife and I get to non-rev a lot because our daughter is a FA. I appreciate how hard the life of a FA is because I witnessed my daughter suffering through 5 years of Reserve flying, before she finally got a line.
Whenever we fly we bring the crew a box of doughnuts. What we get back in return is worth a lot more.
Treat people right, and most of the time the gods will smile on you!

777jaah

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 44):
Treat people right, and most of the time the gods will smile on you!

Agree 100%. Remember FAs are there to serve, not to put up with all the crap pax sometimes give. This usually happens in flights from USA to many SouthAmerican countries, where the pax think they're in a Walmart store, and the FA have the obligation to meet as many freak requirements as you can imagine. They forget they're flying in a aluminun tube al 35.000 feet, with many weight restrictions, most of them because of overweight luggage and carry on luggage.

Being patience, polite and with a minimum amount of courtesy, you'll receive a very pleasant service. A better one than the rude pax. Trust me.

jetjack74

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:10 pm

Quoting IRelayer (Reply 43):
You must be from the midwest! :P

Actually, South Africa by-way of the UK, but close.
Made from jets!

HAWK21M

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:27 pm

If anything additional is required.The Call button is provided.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ikramerica

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:33 pm

No, it's rude. We are customers, and that person deserves the chance to sleep if he/she needs it.

You are employees, and if we need something, we have the right to ask. We are confined to a small space, you are spread very thin, and may not notice needs right away. Understandable. Why the call button exists. Just don't abuse it.

Also, I've found some F/As feel like you are invading their personal space by visiting the galley to ask for something. I get the feeling most would rather have you ding then to invade their conversation in the galley. just my experience, at least.

And you can sort of get the idea of what kind of crew you have by the first service. If they seem very friendly to YOU, then interrupting them in the galley would be no big deal. They'd welcome it. But if they are being friendly to EACH OTHER while serving (holding a private conversation while serving), you can bet they don't want you anywhere near their galley gossip space...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

AA767400

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:52 pm

No it would not.

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 25):
What would be the point of using the call button in this case? I don't understand what a flight attendant could do to help this situation.

I am trying to say that instead of waking someone up for a drink,pillow, etc...it is better to ring the call light and not bother others. That is how a Flight Attendant would help in this situation.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 40):
If somebody woke me up because they didn't want to ring the bell, I'd be pissed. I mean, don't ring the button when they're busy, but if there are no FAs around, just push the damn button so they can come help you.

Amen!
"The low fares airline."