AJMIA
Topic Author

AA To Discontinue HOU - Hobby

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:15 pm

From today's Jetnet...

---AA TO DISCONTINUE SERVICE TO HOUSTON HOBBY---

Tom Del Valle, Vice President - Customer Service, U.S./Canada Division, and Regional Managing Director Franco Tedeschi met with employees at Houston’s Hobby Airport (HOU) Friday to announce American’s decision to discontinue service at Hobby, effective April 3, as one of several moves intended to help restore profitability. "We are committed to supporting our people throughout this transition," said Del Valle. "Their contribution to American and the Houston community is sincerely valued and appreciated." Station employees were informed of options, including possible opportunities at Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), where AA will continue to operate. American Eagle will continue to serve Hobby.

Will the LGA-HOU flight be discontinued or transferred to IAH?

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

md90fan

RE: AA To Discontinue HOU - Hobby

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:21 pm

Wow first YX then AA they are losing some carriers recently. Will the STL-HOU flights stay?
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

BigGSFO

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:22 pm

What destinations does AA/AE fly from Hobby?

n844aa

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:33 pm

Oh no -- this sucks. I was looking forward to flying HOU-LGA numerous times next summer for work. The late afternoon HOU-LGA flights were great, and Hobby's a really convenient airport. I'm going to miss AA service there.

The non-WN terminal at HOU was deserted most of the time from what I could see; I wonder what it'll be like now that AA's flighs are gone. Maybe the city could somehow entice them to come back? I doubt it, but I wish they could.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

stl1326

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:37 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 1):
Will the STL-HOU flights stay?

I would think it would still be operated, because the article sounds like it is only talking about mainline flights. Though I'm not so sure. MAH4546, knows a lot about American. He will probably be able to answer this question.

DfwRevolution

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 1):
Will the STL-HOU flights stay?

Well... at least WN will still offer 7 daily non-stops with mainline equippment!  Smile

MAH4546

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:58 pm

The Austin-Houston Hobby-LaGuardia flight will be ended. The St. Louis and Dallas service remain. AA used to be bigger at Hobby than Intercontinental. In the mid-1990s, for example, they flew 4x daily Miami-Houston service, as they still do today, but 3 flights went to Hobby and only one went to George Bush. Today all four go to IAH.
a.

n844aa

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:01 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
The Austin-Houston Hobby-LaGuardia flight will be ended. The St. Louis and Dallas service remain. AA used to be bigger at Hobby than Intercontinental. In the mid-1990s, for example, they flew 4x daily Miami-Houston service, as they still do today, but 3 flights went to Hobby and only one went to George Bush. Today all four go to IAH.

This is very upsetting. However, I wish the best of luck to AA and I hope this works out for them. I know I took the HOU-LGA flights on more than one weekends where the plane was close to deserted; here's to putting that MD-80 to better use elsewhere. Still, I'm going to miss the service.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

CaptOveur

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:01 pm

I am sure all 5 people who were using it are deeply hurt by this news.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

SHUPirate1

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:55 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
The Austin-Houston Hobby-LaGuardia flight will be ended.

Any indication where the two pairs of freed-up LaGuardia slots are going to be used?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

Fleet Service

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:00 pm

Probably going to see additional LGA-MIA frequencies.LGA-MIA goes to ten daily in Feb.We're running eight daily as it is.
Yes, I actually *do* work for an airline,how about you?

contrails

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:07 pm

Airlines are always pulling out of HOU, but the airport is seldom affected. I remember when Texas International (aka "Texas Treetop") pulled out in the late 70's. I thought that would affect HOU, but it didn't. AA's departure won't either.

I love HOU. It's a great airport with a great history. And it's great if you're going to Galveston for some sun.
Flying Colors Forever!

wjcandee

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:13 pm

I am just STUNNED that nobody has blamed this on the Wright Amendment modifications yet.

Looks like AA has taken down about five times as many mainline routes as they are adding at DAL.

It's all WN's fault.

RL757PVD

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:20 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 13):
I am just STUNNED that nobody has blamed this on the Wright Amendment modifications yet.

Looks like AA has taken down about five times as many mainline routes as they are adding at DAL.

It's all WN's fault.

Look at ISP PVD and MHT and you will see what I call the "inverse southwest effect". Personally though, these airports are better off without an airline like AA, and better off focusing on other airlines that will provide growth.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

saigonhouston

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:00 am

Will the HOU-ORD flights stay?

ssides

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting Saigonhouston (Reply 15):
Will the HOU-ORD flights stay?

I don't think AA or Eagle has flown HOU-ORD in the past 20 years.

On another note, will AA consolidate its IAH operation to be all-mainline? Eagle currently flies a few of the DFW-IAH flights.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

MAH4546

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting Fleet Service (Reply 11):
Probably going to see additional LGA-MIA frequencies.LGA-MIA goes to ten daily in Feb.We're running eight daily as it is.

MIA-LGA is already at 10x daily, with an 11th daily SaSu.
a.

PVD757

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting Ssides (Reply 16):
On another note, will AA consolidate its IAH operation to be all-mainline? Eagle currently flies a few of the DFW-IAH flights.

Seeing how HOU-DFW is already all Eagle, we can presume the LGA and AUS flights are disappearing (maybe AUS stays on as Eagle???) therefore not necessarily effecting the IAH-DFW market.

MSYtristar

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:23 am

I've always been curious as to the demand on the AUS-HOU segment. I wouldn't imagine that the flight saw high loads thanks to WN's numerous daily roundtrips. It seems like AA is simply trying to put the planes back to where money can be made.

hiflyer

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:24 am

First off...sorry for the HOU crew who are going 'on the road again' to follow the job.

How much more is there? I mean just last week it was New England getting the AA hammer with large cuts and layoffs...now HOU/Hobby. All at the same time the upper mgt is going to give itself bonuses for keeping the stock value up, not profits, which is causing even more controvers within the company.

Are there other areas of the country seeing service reduction as well?

AA787

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:29 am

While HOU is a more convenient airport for central Houston it doesn't make sense to operate out of two airports in the area. AA doesn't have enough flights to warrant two stations. However I am curious where the two LGA slots will head to. Hopefully some place new, but unfortunately I doubt it.

AA787
ET In NYC

Coronado990

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:28 am

I'm thinking that the flights being canceled are actually a LGA-AUS flights that needs to stop at HOU to satisfy the LGA perimeter rule. Now that B6 will be operating into AUS, AA does not see as this being profitable anymore.

It does open up HOU to B6 non-stops from JFK though. Those E-190's would be perfect on that route. B6 could also look at JFK-DFW-LGB now that AA is out of the DFW-LGB market. Add SAT and B6 would be lookin' fat in Texas.
Uncle SAN at your service!

Humberside

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:17 am

Is STL-HOU AA Connection or Eagle?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

n844aa

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 21):
I'm thinking that the flights being canceled are actually a LGA-AUS flights that needs to stop at HOU to satisfy the LGA perimeter rule. Now that B6 will be operating into AUS, AA does not see as this being profitable anymore.

The AUS-HOU-LGA is an ungainly flight, but why pull out now, or in April rather, a full eight months before B6 starts operating? I guess they're in a hurry to get HOU shut down.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 18):
I've always been curious as to the demand on the AUS-HOU segment. I wouldn't imagine that the flight saw high loads thanks to WN's numerous daily roundtrips. It seems like AA is simply trying to put the planes back to where money can be made.

I've seen that plane come in some days with single-digit load factors, picking up the vast majority of its traffic at HOU. So there's very little demand there. But even when there's a lot of AUS-LGA traffic, never more than a handful deplane in HOU. Some anecdotal evidence anyway, for what little it's worth.

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 12):

It's all WN's fault.

Works for me. I need someone to blame right now  Wink

mrstl

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:02 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 22):

AA Connection- Chautauqua

[Edited 2006-01-10 21:04:39]

ScottB

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 22):

It's AmericanConnection. Only two dailies, and this is currently the only AA-coded service between STL and Houston (STL-IAH was dropped a while back).

Quoting Ssides (Reply 15):

It's already all-mainline, Eagle isn't operating IAH-DFW at present. It's amazing to see how much AA has shrunk at IAH; the Admiral's Club closed after 9/11/2001, and they're down to just 16 daily departures.

I'm thinking that the flights being canceled are actually a LGA-AUS flights that needs to stop at HOU to satisfy the LGA perimeter rule.

That was my understanding as well; the flights are routed AUS-HOU-LGA and AUS does sit just outside the LGA perimeter. The AA AUS-HOU flights have never been competitive with WN in terms of schedule. Of course, if AA wants to continue to offer 1-stop service from AUS to LGA, it can be done via DFW, STL, or ORD. I'd add that I've wondered if AA's LGA-HOU flights were payback to CO for operating IAH-DAL.

jfklganyc

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:09 am

How long before B6 steps in out of JFK to HOU or IAH?

There is no competition now.

PJ

cjpark

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:09 am

[

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 12):

It's all WN's fault.

That is pretty much a given, this to will be blamed on the modifications to the Wright Amendment. Everything is WN's fault. Yet another facet of the Southwest effect.

Just more Mad Dogs ready for DAL.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

kl662

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:28 am

I can't really understand why HOU isn't really working for anyone but WN. If you live south of I-10, HOU is generally closer (and for many, significantly closer). I guess, despite the loss of EFD, CO at IAH is just too much of a draw for anyone who doesn't want to fly WN.

With SkyTeam, it makes sense for NW and DL to be collocated with CO, KL, and AF; with Star, UA needs to be with LH; and I guess AA can provide some limited feed/support to BA. But, before all the alliances, what advantage did the non-hub carriers have being at IAH instead of HOU? Just the size of the airport and volume of flights?

I've always made it a point to use HOU when I can... But, IAH is increasingly becoming the only non-WN choice. I remember flying NW DTW-HOU, AA LGA-HOU, and CO EWR-HOU, IAH-HOU, & CLE-HOU -- all gone...  worried 

Fleet Service

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 16):
MIA-LGA is already at 10x daily, with an 11th daily SaSu.

Not exactly.953 is a DNO on Saturday and is replaced by 1571 which operates Sat/Sun only.Saturdays still only see ten daily as do Sundays.

I'll look in SABRE tommorow when I get into work.
Yes, I actually *do* work for an airline,how about you?

drerx7

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:52 am

The thread title was almost a shock when I first read--then I realized, AA only flies to LGA and AUS from Hobby. So not too big of a loss if you ask me.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

Junction

Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 30):
The thread title was almost a shock when I first read--then I realized, AA only flies to LGA and AUS from Hobby. So not too big of a loss if you ask me.

Exactly, and I am surprised they were not discontinued long before this. I'm with ScottB in post 25 also - These flights along with DCA service form HOU were started by AA at the same time CO began DAL flights, and it seems like they were trying to ruffle some feathers.

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 26):
How long before B6 steps in out of JFK to HOU or IAH?

There is no competition now.

These are operated daily right now:
CO1027 JFK-IAH 525A 825A 735
CO 709 JFK-IAH 450P 753P 735

Tornado82

Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:31 am

AA has cut service at a whole lot of airports lately, whether its cutting mainline to Eagle like PIT and PVD, or just up and leaving completely like this. What's the plan for all the spare metal? Desert?

stuckinMAF

Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:41 am

WN kicked their ass in HOU and they'll kick their ass in DAL, too.

I give AA 6 months in DAL, 1 year if they're really determined to lose some money.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

ScottB

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:19 am

Quoting KL662 (Reply 28):
with Star, UA needs to be with LH; and I guess AA can provide some limited feed/support to BA.

Not at IAH. Both AA and UA are three terminals away from their respective alliance partners, and there are no connections at IAH which wouldn't make more sense from the hub cities. Who would fly DFW-IAH-LGW on AA/BA when it's far easier to go non-stop from DFW? It makes sense for the SkyTeam carriers to be relatively close together at IAH so they can take advantage of CO's broad array of destinations.

n844aa

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:52 am

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 33):
I give AA 6 months in DAL, 1 year if they're really determined to lose some money.

I think this is probably right (though, seriously, what do I know?). I'm having trouble envisioning someone who would fly AA ... if only they served DAL. Yeah, clearly it's easier to get to from downtown Dallas, so there are people that will fly these routes, but I would be shocked if they were moneymakers for AA.

MAH4546

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:55 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 32):
AA has cut service at a whole lot of airports lately, whether its cutting mainline to Eagle like PIT and PVD, or just up and leaving completely like this. What's the plan for all the spare metal? Desert?

No, not the desert. They already have a very tightly used fleet. They have no spare planes, and new routes have to come by sacrificing old ones. They will be announcing a plethora of new routes with the summer schedule in February and March.
a.

SHUPirate1

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 36):
They will be announcing a plethora of new routes with the summer schedule in February and March.

Presumably one of those new routes will come from LaGuardia...after all, they do have two slot pairs now, right?

COSPN

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:17 am

Mabe CO will give EWR-HOU another try ???

How many Seats per day does CO offer IAH-DAL v.s. IAH-DFW ????

Looks like a shift in favor of DAL

DfwRevolution

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:36 am

Quoting COSPN (Reply 38):
How many Seats per day does CO offer IAH-DAL v.s. IAH-DFW ???? Looks like a shift in favor of DAL

I wouldn't be so sure. I think the numbers speak for themselves:

IAH-DFW Weekday:

(11) ERJ145: 0F/53Y x 11 = 0F/583Y

Total: 0F/583Y

IAH-DFW Weekday:
(3) 737-700: 12F/112Y x 3 = 36F/336Y
(1) 737-800: 14F/141Y x 1 = 14F/141Y
(3) 737-500: 8F/106Y x 3 = 24F/318Y
(3) ERJ145: 0F/53Y x 3 = 0F/159Y

Total: 74F/954Y

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 33):
WN kicked their ass in HOU and they'll kick their ass in DAL, too. I give AA 6 months in DAL, 1 year if they're really determined to lose some money.

I wasn't going to say something quite as colorful... but I agree in principle.

IMO, AA's decision to move a small number of aircraft to DAL is not a smart or profitable long-term decision.

SHUPirate1

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 39):

Who on earth puts 53 seats in their ERJ-145's? The only airline I know of that would even THINK of doing something like that is Ryanair...most airlines have 50 seats in their ERJ-145's.

Tornado82

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 39):

ERJ-145's are 50 seaters, 1 flight attendant.

COSPN

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:01 am

But I ment CO has really Grown DAL over the years of course DFW will always have more PAX but 500 a day...lots of seats....on RJ's

LGAtoIND

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:15 am

Now that CO has NYC- Houston all to themself, it would seem like a perfect time for B6 to start JFK-HOU nonstops. Does anyone know if there is gate space at HOU for B6 to fly maybe 3X JFK and 2X BOS?

DfwRevolution

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:16 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 40):

Who on earth puts 53 seats in their ERJ-145's?

I think I counted one seat row twice...

Tornado82

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:24 am

Quoting COSPN (Reply 42):
But I ment CO has really Grown DAL over the years of course DFW will always have more PAX but 500 a day...lots of seats....on RJ's

If I were CO I'd try DAL-EWR on the ERJ-145XR... and maybe even some other DAL-___ destinations outside of the Wright perimeter on the XR... just charge enough to make up for the CASM on the XR. It's not like WN is going to be able to fare-war you into the ground from DAL.

thomasphoto60

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:10 am

In regards to HOU, I did a little resarch on it's history post 1969. Seems the airport that was marked for death when the 'Big Airport' on the north side was completed, just would not die.

Some of the carriers that have used HOU since 1969 are;

WN (HOU's saviour)
Braniff
TX Int'l
Muse Air
TranStar
DL
AA
Air Florida
Hughes Airwest
CO
Ozark
People's Express
NY Air
YX
UA
PA
TW

And some photographic evidence

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andrew Abshier

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mick Bajcar

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Abshier

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Abshier

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joe Pries - ATR Team

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dennis Lau

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

View Large View Medium

Photo © Phil Hyde

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Knutson

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Harris

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

Could not locate pics of some of the carriers listed above, i.e., Air Florida, Pan Am, Braniff, UA, People's Express, ect....Many of the carriers listed and shown above are no longer with us (either due to mergers or quitting altogether) and others like UA and NW decided that there were greener pastures at IAH. That said, I am sure in the coming years we will see new carriers added to that roster and some will succeed at HOU, others won't.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

n844aa

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:19 am

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 46):
WN (HOU's saviour)

You can say that again. The non-WN concourse (C?) is a horribly depressing place around 3:00 p.m., whereas the WN concourse looks very nice from the outside and always busy.

Surely C was depressing at many other times as well, but I've been there in the middle of the afternoon a number of times times waiting for the 5:30 p.m. AA flight. Still, I'm going to miss their LGA service. It was perfect for me; too bad not enough other people thought the same.

[Edited 2006-01-11 03:21:09]

cmb320

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 pm

Speaking of success and failure at HOU, and just browsing through another thread speaking of the success of AirTran, it got me wondering how successfull AirTran is at HOU. I'm berely moving to Houston this coming week, and in the past have followed IAH news solely, so I have no idea AirTran's schedule, aircraft usage, or load factors out of HOU.

Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks alot!

sflaflight

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:56 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 6):
The Austin-Houston Hobby-LaGuardia flight will be ended

That routing always interested me as one of AA's long standing non hubed routes. Sad to see that P2P go! How long has it really been around? Forever I would imagine.

It does open up HOU to B6 non-stops from JFK though. Those E-190's would be perfect on that route. B6 could also look at JFK-DFW-LGB now that AA is out of the DFW-LGB market. Add SAT and B6 would be lookin' fat in Texas.

Now I like that idea. Start using those AA LGB slots!