PanAm747
Topic Author

New Boarding Procedures?

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:44 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200.../airlineschangehowtheyherdusaboard

I have heard of this being tried, but I have not experienced it recently. Are airlines moving to this system? Is it working? What are the experiences of a.netter's?

I am fairly neutral in the whole situation, but I do have to agree with my fellow San Diegan quoted at the end of the story: "Reducing the amount of carry-on luggage is the best way to speed the process".

Thoughts?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

nubes

RE: New Boarding Procedures?

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Thread starter):
Reducing the amount of carry-on luggage is the best way to speed the process

That's why I am so suprised when BE introduced the charge for hold baggage and stimulates passenger to take it on as carry-on. I think this will make the boarding process a lot more chaotic and therefore slow.. People will need to long to put there stuff in the lockers, especially when everyone has to enourmous trolleys etc.

It's a lot easier to board via two stairs (or two airbridges..) Board the back section over the back stairs, and the forward sections over the first stairs.. Saves half the time, away with airbridges!

ckfred

RE: New Boarding Procedures?

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:59 am

I've always said that if airlines knew then what they know now, they never would have put the overhead bins in their airplanes. It simply takes too much time, particularly if someone boards late, and then scurries around looking for empty space.

After the origianl Braniff put in the bins, American put in a luggage rack, similar to what you find on shuttle buses for hotels, parking lots, and rental cars. It had several shelves, and could hold probably 20 to 40 bags, depending on size.

The problem today is that the shelving unit would take a row of coach seats on one side of the aisle. That's 3 seats of revenue. But on the other hand, it did take less time than the free-for-all that goes on with the stowing and unloading of bags from the overhead bins.