phxplanes

Can Someone Explain This Airport In Santa Ana

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:40 am

I saw this picture and have heard about this airport but what exactly happened. Did it ever open and why did it close. Why would they build an airport and then forget it.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Bartlett

SRT75

RE: Can Someone Explain This Airport In Santa Ana

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:46 am

It was the El Toro Marine Base. The Base has been closed, so it is no longer used as an airfield.

It was proposed as a civil aviation airport to relieve congestion at LAX and deal with the SNA pax cap. There was a summer when they were flying "test" flight in and out of the airport to get noise readings.

Local opposition prevailed, and I now believe most of it is to be demolished and turned into a park.

SlamClick

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:48 am

It is an old Naval Air Station, then, I believe, a Marine Corps Air Station. They used to have an arrival (and maybe departure) corridor that overflew open grassland in the hills between the NAS and, say, Dana Point. I'm sure that area has filled up with $$$$ houses by now.

As to the southern California politics, I'll leave that to a local to explain.

Suffice it to say that the self-indulgent, spoiled people of Orange County raised NIMBY from a cutesy acronym to an art, science and religion.

One of the ironies of "John Wayne" airport (KSNA) is that The Duke himself, who lived off the end, on Balboa Island, was one of the biggest noise complainers.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

planespotting

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:56 am

It was built a long time ago, and used for many years. It was closed like most military air fields, due to budget cuts and the end of the cold war. It served it's life and now there (according to the local people against using it as a reliever) is no use for it.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos