eastbay

Aerocondor In Peru Question...

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:34 pm

My family is planning to visit Peru next week, with a side trip from Lima to Cuzco. Looks like Aerocondor is the cheapest but I know almost nothing about them..... Anyone here flown on them, or know how is their reputation? Should I spend the extra $50 r/t for my wife and I and fly LanPeru?

Thanks for any responses to come!

Ray

luisde8cd

RE: Aerocondor In Peru Question...

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:11 pm

If I were you, I would rather pay the extra USD 50 and fly Lan Peru's A320s. I don't have a clue about AeroCondor and I'm familiar with Latin American aviation, especially from Andean Countries like Peru.

Maybe someone else can actually give us some feedback regarding AeroCondor.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

LVTMB

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:42 pm

I once flew AeroCondor from Ica to Lima -- a Beechcraft Baron IIRC. For the Lima-Cuzco leg I would be extremely more comfortable on LanPeru.

Enjoy Peru!

MB (in the Peninsula)

cptGirmayTesfa

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:27 pm

Greetings from Peru.
Aerocondor recently took the Cuzco route, probably assuming service of the TANS that is in trouble these days.
Aerocondor is good, I flew with them a couple of times, the most recent flight was with a 737-200. They also have newer F50s. Aercondor is a private Peruvian airline, has a good reputation, pretty small as it focused on a few routes within Peru only.
Go ahead with Aerocondor, I wouldn't switch that for LAN or Taca.

FLY2LIM

Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 1):
If I were you, I would rather pay the extra USD 50 and fly Lan Peru's A320s. I don't have a clue about AeroCondor and I'm familiar with Latin American aviation, especially from Andean Countries like Peru.

In Peru, we use two popular expressions. The first one says "mas vale malo conocido que bueno por conocer" which translates to something like "better to go with the bad but known than the good but unknown," meaning that LAN is the recognized carrier in Peru (along with Taca, of course). The second one is "lo barato sale caro" which means "that which seems cheap can end up being very expensive in the end," meaning that I wouldn't risk a possible accident, delay, or any other complication to save 50 bucks.
So, I politely disagree with Capt. Tesfay, a fellow peruvian.
As far as peruvian culture goes, TANS also used to enjoy a "good reputation" until they got into serious trouble.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

RICARIZA

Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting Eastbay (Thread starter):
Should I spend the extra $50 r/t for my wife and I and fly LanPeru?

Without a doubt...

I only venture to use "small" airlines in my own country when traveling alone (It is fun) but when traveling with family or in a foreign country I don't risk it.

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 1):
I don't have a clue about AeroCondor and I'm familiar with Latin American aviation

My case exactly..they could be good or not, I just don't know them.
I guess is like a foreigner going to Colombia and asking for "Aires or Satena". I know Aires and Satena I know they are very good, but if I were a foreigner I will only take Avianca..
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

airkas1
Crew

Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting CptGirmayTesfa (Reply 3):
They also have newer F50s

Are they the company that bought former F50 SE-LLN?
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

AMSSFO

Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:12 am

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 6):
Are they the company that bought former F50 SE-LLN?

Yes, they are.
It's their second one
The first is OB-1770P, a former Air Nostrum F50

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Juan Manuel Temoche

airkas1
Crew

Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting AMSSFO (Reply 7):
Yes, they are.

Cool!!! Big grin  Big grin We (Denim Air) ferried that aircraft from AMS to LIM  Smile

AMSSFO

Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:39 am

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 8):
Cool!!! Big grin Big grin We (Denim Air) ferried that aircraft from AMS to LIM Smile

Sounds like a nice trip. What was the route? Was it in full c/s?
What will its new reg be?

airkas1
Crew

Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:50 am

Quoting AMSSFO (Reply 9):
What will its new reg be?

Sorry, I don't know that

Was it in full c/s?

Again, I don't know, sorry  Sad

What was the route?

Now that I DO know, I helped prepare it  Wink

Routing: AMS-SVQ-RAI (overnight)-FOR-MAO (overnight)-LIM

IADCRJ

Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:56 am

When did TANS begin to have their current problems? I know they were gradually expanding in Peru prior to that fatal accident that they had in August. I do have to admit too, that their safety record is not the greatist so I am not all surprised if they are having trouble right now.

IADCRJ

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:05 am

I flew the LIM - CUZ route this past summer on TACA. Their fare was fairly reasonable (~$150.00 US. roundtrip), good service, and they seemed reliable. TACA does have a very good reputation too in terms of safety The only down thing about TACA on this route is that they operate this route on a very limited basis (one or two roundtrips a day). The sceanery of the Peruvian Andes was phenomonal from the air, while enroute on those flights. Enjoy Peru Eastbay. You will love it there  Smile

FLY2LIM

Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:21 pm

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 11):
When did TANS begin to have their current problems? I know they were gradually expanding in Peru prior to that fatal accident that they had in August. I do have to admit too, that their safety record is not the greatist so I am not all surprised if they are having trouble right now.

TANS had another accident going into the jungle with a Fokker (F27???) about 3-5 years ago. They are an airline formed out of the old Peruvian Air Force and operated by its members, or retired members. So, I'd say that their current problems pretty much started the moment the began operations. My friends in Peru used to avoid it like the plague, but they flew certain routes that others wouldn't fly. Their record is actually pretty bad, compared to others.

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 12):
The only down thing about TACA on this route is that they operate this route on a very limited basis (one or two roundtrips a day)

Until recently, there was no air traffic into CUZ after the mid afternoon, so most airlines flew one or two flights a day in and out of that airport. I don't believe that there are any night flights there, especially since the sky clouds up every afternoon, typically.

FLY2LIM

cptGirmayTesfa

Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:48 pm

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 4):
As far as peruvian culture goes, TANS also used to enjoy a "good reputation" until they got into serious trouble.

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 13):
So, I'd say that their current problems pretty much started the moment the began operations. My friends in Peru used to avoid it like the plague, but they flew certain routes that others wouldn't fly. Their record is actually pretty bad, compared to others.

Hmmmmm something I don't get here

TANS had another accident going into the jungle with a Fokker (F27???)

It was a F-28 (OB-1396) in 2003.

TACAA320

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:57 am

So, I politely disagree with Capt. Tesfay, a fellow peruvian.

So do I.

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 12):
I flew the LIM - CUZ route this past summer on TACA. Their fare was fairly reasonable (~$150.00 US. roundtrip), good service, and they seemed reliable. TACA does have a very good reputation too in terms of safety The only down thing about TACA on this route is that they operate this route on a very limited basis (one or two roundtrips a day).

For a few more bucks you [or your family] will be flying a much modern and confortable aircarft.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

FLY2LIM

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting CptGirmayTesfa (Reply 14):

So, I'd say that their current problems pretty much started the moment the began operations. My friends in Peru used to avoid it like the plague, but they flew certain routes that others wouldn't fly. Their record is actually pretty bad, compared to others.

Hmmmmm something I don't get here

Not sure what the Captain doesn't get. People flew on TANS even though the planes were always delayed, flights were canceled, service was bad, aircraft was old, maintenance was questionable. As long as there wasn't a crash, they enjoyed a "good" reputation even though they were really not a very good airline, and this was from the beginning. The moment the Fokker went down, it became a "bad" airline and many people started flying LP or TA. Peruvians rely a lot on reputation, even if there is no basis for such a reputation. In the case of TANS, they had a "good" reputation until there was an accident.

FLY2LIM

Chiguire

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:43 am

There is also another airline operating that route: Star Peru

http://www.starperu.com

How are they ?

lanperu

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 16):
People flew on TANS even though the planes were always delayed, flights were canceled, service was bad, aircraft was old, maintenance was questionable.

I was able to fly TANS from CUZ-LIM back in 2003. The trip was LIM-CUZ on LanPeru and the CUZ-LIM on TANS. At first I was like "huh?" when I found out that we had to return on TANS since I didnt know the airline too well. Well I can tell you being on the TANS plane was GREAT! The interior was SUPER clean and the flight attendants were really nice and attentive. The plane had no IFE like LAN or a real meal, but it was still a great ride to LIM.

LanPeru

latinaviation

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:08 am

In Aviation Daily, maybe two weeks ago, it ran an article about Aero Condor wanting to enter the international aviation arena, including Lima - Miami, amongst some regional routes, hence acquiring the 737-200. There is a photo of the 737 in a different Aero Condor scheme in this month's World Airline Fleets.

Anyone have recent news on LC Busre?
http://www.lcbusre.com.pe/pag01.htm

There was another airline called StarUp, are they still around?
http://www.starup.com.pe/

TACAA320

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:17 am

Quoting LanPeru (Reply 18):
The plane had no IFE like LAN or a real meal, but it was still a great ride to LIM.

How much time does it take from CUZ to LIM or viceversa?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

JJJM

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:44 am

Hi everyone...

I´m also planning a trip with my wife to Peru for Easter, and of course Cuzco is on my itinerary.

But I can tell you it´s a trip that I have dual feelings for. Yes I want to go to Peru and visit Lima and Cuzco, but I´m bit afraid of robbery, much hassle and disappointment.

My feeling for Peru is that it´s a place to go, just to say that you´ve been there, but that´s it.

Hope I´m totally wrong about that feeling, and If I decide to go there, I hope and would´t be disappointed on choosing Peru over Brazil, Chile or Argentina, even that I´ve been there already.

That´s why I´m really keeping my expectations very low.

Please don´t blame me for this, I´t's just the way I feel about this trip.

Can anyone tell me what should I expect?

Regards

JJJM

OB1504

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:10 am

I don't believe that there are any night flights there

AFAIK, night operations are prohibited at CUZ.

The aviation enthusiast side of me says to take AeroCondor just for the chance to ride an F-50 or 737-200, but the cautious side says to take LAN Perú or TACA Perú. I'm not sure if LAN's A320s have PTVs, but if they do, all the better.

Quoting JJJM (Reply 21):

True, that Peru isn't exactly one of the safest countries around, but it's recommened that you go with someone you know (a friend who lives in the country - not a tour guide or anything similar) and stay out of certain areas. That way, you should be okay. When staying in Lima, I recommend the Hostal El Pukará.

Enjoy your trips to Peru!

[Edited 2006-01-28 00:13:45]

Chiguire

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:03 pm

Quoting LatinAviation (Reply 19):
There was another airline called StarUp, are they still around?
http://www.starup.com.pe/

Yes, they changed the name and are Star Peru now.

But it looks like nobody here knows them. Although they are about the same size of Aerocondor with 4x732 and some props. This is all I know. Website looks nice.

FLY2LIM

Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:00 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 20):
How much time does it take from CUZ to LIM or viceversa?

One hour max.

Quoting JJJM (Reply 21):
Hi everyone...

I´m also planning a trip with my wife to Peru for Easter, and of course Cuzco is on my itinerary.

But I can tell you it´s a trip that I have dual feelings for. Yes I want to go to Peru and visit Lima and Cuzco, but I´m bit afraid of robbery, much hassle and disappointment.

My feeling for Peru is that it´s a place to go, just to say that you´ve been there, but that´s it.

Hope I´m totally wrong about that feeling, and If I decide to go there, I hope and would´t be disappointed on choosing Peru over Brazil, Chile or Argentina, even that I´ve been there already.

That´s why I´m really keeping my expectations very low.

Please don´t blame me for this, I´t's just the way I feel about this trip.

I am known as being particularly harsh on Peru's airlines and such, but I will tell you something that you need to know about Peru. Peru should be on your TOP TEN destinations in your lifetime, in my opinion. The other countries you have mentioned are great, everyone who has gone there has told me so. But Peru is the capital of the Inka Empire, and Machu Picchu is a BREATHTAKING sight, something no other country in South America has, or will ever have. Yes, Brazil has the beaches, el Corcovado, and Argentina has beautiful country and beautiful cities, and Chile has incredible geography, and all the countries have the FRIENDLIEST PEOPLE. However, none has the history that you find in Peru. We are lucky for that reason.
Going to Peru is like going anywhere. DON'T APPEAR LIKE A TOURIST. Don't wear "Dallas Cowboys" tees and wear a hat, with nikes and jeans. The saying goes "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" and this applies anywhere. Don't wear excess jewelry. WHY would you take your expensive jewelry on a trip??? I would suggest things like taking a couple of memory cards for your digital camera (assuming you have one) and switching them around, in case your camera gets stolen. Then you'll still have your pictures. Don't take a lot of money in your wallet. Put some in your socks, in your wife's bra, etc. but ALWAYS carry some amount that the robbers will be happy if they do steal from you.
People in Peru are not violent, they are HUNGRY. If you are an easy target, they'll rob you. If you blend into the woodwork, you'll be safe. I feel less safe in a small town in California than I do in Peru, and I visit Peru often. I will also be there the week before Easter. Be aware that places will close for the religious holidays.
Email me if you want more info. I will gladly help you. Oh, and RAISE your expectations because Peru will BLOW YOU AWAY because it's a wonderful place to visit.
FLY2LIM

MD95

Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 24):
am known as being particularly harsh on Peru's airlines and such, but I will tell you something that you need to know about Peru. Peru should be on your TOP TEN destinations in your lifetime, in my opinion. The other countries you have mentioned are great, everyone who has gone there has told me so. But Peru is the capital of the Inka Empire, and Machu Picchu is a BREATHTAKING sight, something no other country in South America has, or will ever have. Yes, Brazil has the beaches, el Corcovado, and Argentina has beautiful country and beautiful cities, and Chile has incredible geography, and all the countries have the FRIENDLIEST PEOPLE. However, none has the history that you find in Peru. We are lucky for that reason.
Going to Peru is like going anywhere. DON'T APPEAR LIKE A TOURIST. Don't wear "Dallas Cowboys" tees and wear a hat, with nikes and jeans. The saying goes "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" and this applies anywhere. Don't wear excess jewelry. WHY would you take your expensive jewelry on a trip??? I would suggest things like taking a couple of memory cards for your digital camera (assuming you have one) and switching them around, in case your camera gets stolen. Then you'll still have your pictures. Don't take a lot of money in your wallet. Put some in your socks, in your wife's bra, etc. but ALWAYS carry some amount that the robbers will be happy if they do steal from you.
People in Peru are not violent, they are HUNGRY. If you are an easy target, they'll rob you. If you blend into the woodwork, you'll be safe. I feel less safe in a small town in California than I do in Peru, and I visit Peru often. I will also be there the week before Easter. Be aware that places will close for the religious holidays.
Email me if you want more info. I will gladly help you. Oh, and RAISE your expectations because Peru will BLOW YOU AWAY because it's a wonderful place to visit.

I couldn't agree more.

I spent 20 days in Peru' during Christmas and I flew 5 times in different places, and I took busses, and trains. We are a family of 4 and at no time I felt threatened. Everywhere I went I met wonderful people and the places are really breathtaking. From the Andes to the Amazon I really enjoyed a wonderful country.
dario

FLY2LIM

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting Md95 (Reply 25):
I spent 20 days in Peru' during Christmas and I flew 5 times in different places, and I took busses, and trains. We are a family of 4 and at no time I felt threatened. Everywhere I went I met wonderful people and the places are really breathtaking. From the Andes to the Amazon I really enjoyed a wonderful country.

Thanks!

FLY2LIM

A300 American

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:12 am

Hello All,

To clear up some things

1) TANS accident in Chachapoyas was with an F28 Fokker, crashed into the side of a mountain in dense fog
2) TANS is(was) a mediocre airline at best
3) TANS has the WORST accident rating in Peru.
3) Love them or hate them, LAN is Peru´s Flag carrier
4) Star Peru, Aerocondor use older 737-200s (want to operate Lima/Miami with 732???????, what?????)
5) New commer Wayra uses ex AA Fokker F100s
6) There ARE late afternoon flights out of Cusco via LAN (lim/cuz is about an hours flight)
7) PERU ROCKS as a destination country!!!!!
8) How about that Cheviche?????

Cheers

FLY2LIM

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:00 am

Quoting A300 American (Reply 27):
Hello All,

To clear up some things

1) TANS accident in Chachapoyas was with an F28 Fokker, crashed into the side of a mountain in dense fog
2) TANS is(was) a mediocre airline at best
3) TANS has the WORST accident rating in Peru.
3) Love them or hate them, LAN is Peru´s Flag carrier
4) Star Peru, Aerocondor use older 737-200s (want to operate Lima/Miami with 732???????, what?????)
5) New commer Wayra uses ex AA Fokker F100s
6) There ARE late afternoon flights out of Cusco via LAN (lim/cuz is about an hours flight)

Cheers

To clear up some things.
Tans has the WORST accident rating in Peru, according to whom? When I was young, we had an airline called LANSA that flew Lockheed Electras and all their aircraft crashed until they went out of business. Their last aircraft had that famous accident in the jungle where a German girl survived by eating bugs in the jungle for days. The accident was sometime around Christmas, and her name was Julianne Koepke. So, I'd like a source, please. I mean, I don't DOUBT your word, just want to know where you get your information.
I said there were no NIGHT flights out of CUZ, as far as I knew.
And it's called CEVICHE.

FLY2LIM

IADCRJ

Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting A300 American (Reply 27):

Will Definately agree with you in terms of Peru being a destination country. Ceviche is a great cusine. How about those INKA KOLAS, and Cusquenas?

yummy   yummy 

A300 American

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:03 am

IADCRJ,

Ceviche rocks!!! Too bad you can´t REALLY get the same flavor back in the states!!.........Cusqueña?? Pilsen is also excellent!!

Back to aviation though: Wayra has been critisized about the F100 being able to handle Peru´s high altitude destinations. I also heard that the CEO of Wayra predicted that they will obtain something like 30% of market share. KEEP DREAMING I say, not with LAN (7 A32s last time I counted) and Star Peru (now 4 732????) in the picture. In any event, best of luck to them!!

PS: kudos to LAN for the free liquor onboard!! hahhahah

IADCRJ

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:05 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 22):

In general I felt very safe in Cusco, but Lima is a totally different world. My girlfriend and I were almost robbed at resturant there. When in Lima I would reccomend that you stay in Miraflores, which is higher class part of town along the coast. There are many decent hotels there on various levels at affordable rates. Miraflores is definately one of the safer parts of Lima.

In general use common sense when traveling down there. 1) Try to find out and avoid the "BAD" parts of the towns and try to stay in the more touristy areas. 2) Do not rent a car, but utilize taxi services instead. They are very cheap down there. 3) Do not go around wearing excesive jewlery and expensive clothing. 4) Knowing a fellow Peruvian will definately be a huge help in giving you good pointers in terms of safety and what to do and not do.

Have a wonderful trip. You will enjoy it.  Smile

IADCRJ

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 31):
Ceviche rocks!!! Too bad you can´t REALLY get the same flavor back in the states!!.........Cusqueña?? Pilsen is also excellent!!

Yes I definately can.  Smile My girlfreind is Peruvian and her mother makes some excellent ceviche. There are a couple of decent Peruvian resturants in the Washington DC area that have good ceviche there as well.

In terms of TANS reputation in Peru, my girlfriend discouraged me from booking any flights on them between LIM and CUZ prior to traveling down there last June, do there poor safety record at the time. This was a few monthes prior to their accident in Pucallupa last August.

A300 American

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:14 am

sorry,

forgot to add that I get my information through:

T News, internet daily tourism news "www.tnews.com.pe",
Travel update "http://www.travelaldia.com/"
El Profesional bimonthly magazine
El Comercio (Lima´s "New York Times equivalent")
amoung others..............

Oh, did I mention I was a travel agent?? I work with these guys (airlines)everyday. Kudos!!

I´m going to go out and get me a "Pisco Sour", cheers!!  spin 

TACAA320

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:28 am

One hour max.

Thanks for the answer!  Smile

IADCRJ

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Has Wayra commenced service yet in Peru? If so what is there current destinations?.

FLY2LIM

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:24 am

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 31):
In general I felt very safe in Cusco, but Lima is a totally different world. My girlfriend and I were almost robbed at resturant there. When in Lima I would reccomend that you stay in Miraflores, which is higher class part of town along the coast. There are many decent hotels there on various levels at affordable rates. Miraflores is definately one of the safer parts of Lima.

In general use common sense when traveling down there. 1) Try to find out and avoid the "BAD" parts of the towns and try to stay in the more touristy areas. 2) Do not rent a car, but utilize taxi services instead. They are very cheap down there. 3) Do not go around wearing excesive jewlery and expensive clothing. 4) Knowing a fellow Peruvian will definately be a huge help in giving you good pointers in terms of safety and what to do and not do.

Excellent advice! Miraflores is an excellent choice for safety, but also because of location. It's in the middle of everywhere and there are more services there. It's a step from everything.
One of the "bad" parts of Lima is downtown, although that is where most of the history is. As far as taxis, take the ones that are parked next to hotels. The ones that stop you on the streets are DIRT CHEAP but you could also be subject to robbery. Oh, and just because a taxi is painted yellow doesn't mean anything. Don't be afraid to negotiate the fare. There will be a taxi standing right behind the one you are dealing with, waiting for the deal to fall through.
And wear SMART clothes whether in Lima, New York, or Bombay. I can usually spot a tourist a MILE away in Lima by the clothes they wear.

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 32):
Yes I definately can. My girlfreind is Peruvian and her mother makes some excellent ceviche. There are a couple of decent Peruvian resturants in the Washington DC area that have good ceviche there as well.

I have yet to have a good ceviche here, because the problem is the lemon, which is like the American lime. It is also almost impossible to get fresh aji here, though the prepackaged stuff tastes pretty close. Still, we have good peruvian restaurants in California too.

Quoting A300 American (Reply 33):
sorry,

forgot to add that I get my information through:

T News, internet daily tourism news "www.tnews.com.pe",
Travel update "http://www.travelaldia.com/"
El Profesional bimonthly magazine
El Comercio (Lima´s "New York Times equivalent")
amoung others..............

Oh, did I mention I was a travel agent?? I work with these guys (airlines)everyday. Kudos!!

I´m going to go out and get me a "Pisco Sour", cheers!!

A300, thanks for the credentials. Didn't mean to question you earlier, but there are so many "experts" on this site that I don't know who to trust.
OH, now you made me jealous with the pisco sour reference. I can't wait (18 more days) until I'm in my beloved Lima.

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 34):

One hour max.

Thanks for the answer

You are welcome TACA.

Quoting A300 American (Reply 30):
KEEP DREAMING I say, not with LAN (7 A32s last time I counted) and Star Peru (now 4 732????) in the picture.

And don't forget Taca.

FLY2LIM

IADCRJ

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:15 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 36):
One of the "bad" parts of Lima is downtown, although that is where most of the history is.

Isn't Callao where the airport is located, is one of the worst parts of Lima? I remeber that the resturant that we were nearly robed at was in Downtown Lima near the Supreme Court building and the Sheraton Hotel.

Aero

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:49 am

Make your choice:

LAN vs. AeroCóndor

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ander Aguirre
View Large View Medium

Photo © Girmay Tesfay

Perú is an incredible destination. Just pay attention to regular securities issues, same you would do while traveling everywhere else. You´d better plan your trip instead of being spontaneous.

However you will find an incredible culture richness.

Best,
Aero
LAN...the star of the Latin American skies

FLY2LIM

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:22 am

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 37):
Isn't Callao where the airport is located, is one of the worst parts of Lima? I remeber that the resturant that we were nearly robed at was in Downtown Lima near the Supreme Court building and the Sheraton Hotel.

Well, sort of, since Callao is a port but the airport is not near the port. Regardless, it's in the general area. As you depart the airport, you get a free tour of several shantytowns on your way to the more residential areas in Lima.
I recommend that no one walk around the Sheraton/Supreme Court areas. It's ver dangerous.

FLY2LIM