KLMA330
Topic Author

A380 On Megastructures.. A Question..

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:53 am

Saw the show, finally, for the first time here in Toronto, last night. Quite liked it, summed up the situation facing the A380 nicely, albeit, a little on the pessimistic side of things, IMHO.

Anyway, was wondering what the latest is regarding the dispute between residents of the villages around Hamburg, and Airbus' plans on building additional factories and the runway expansion.

Thanks!
Billy  Smile

JPair

RE: A380 On Megastructures.. A Question..

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:56 am

The runway extension is complete in as much as the A380 can now land there. I am not sure if that was the only objective for the expansion of the Hamburg site.

KLMA330
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:58 am

The show mentioned that they wanted an extention in order to test the A380F at maximum weight. If they were to build this extention though (at the time of recording this was still being battled in the courts) it would come a mere 300 Feet (IIRC) from the actual village farms and houses. People weren't too happy about that.

AcessColombia

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 2):
it would come a mere 300 Feet (IIRC) from the actual village farms and houses. People weren't too happy about that.

particularly because they believe that all the wake vortexes produced by the A380 could damage a 17th century Pipe organ stored in a Lutheran Church right next to the runway.
Por el Respeto

A319XFW

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting JPair (Reply 1):
The runway extension is complete in as much as the A380 can now land there. I am not sure if that was the only objective for the expansion of the Hamburg site.

The extension is complete to the north. It's still missing the extension to the south.
IIRC the courts oked the extension a few weeks back, but nothing has started yet, so I guess there are still some issues to be solved.

pbottenb

Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:35 pm

Quoting KLMA330 (Thread starter):
Saw the show, finally, for the first time here in Toronto, last night.

I love the Megastructures program from the National Geographic. it was on last night (Tuesday here in the US).

I was really glad that I watched the program. I love lurking within all the A vs B wars here on a.net and honestly, I usually find myself cheering for B, but about midway through the program I found myself to be rooting for the A380 to succeed.

The technology to build the damn thing is un-effing-believable...one thing that I really noticed was that most of the engineers that were interviewed could easily be American - save the accents..or at least working here...

I hope it succeeds...

SoBe

Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:43 pm

Quoting Pbottenb (Reply 5):
...one thing that I really noticed was that most of the engineers that were interviewed could easily be American - save the accents..or at least working here...

??????????

pbottenb

Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:01 pm

Quoting SoBe (Reply 6):
??????????

Confused?...My point was that engineers are engineers...regardless of where they work...

SoBe

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:53 pm

Quoting Pbottenb (Reply 7):
Confused?...

Yes. It seemed a rather odd choice of words. Quite a bit biased, or maybe I was reading something into it that was not there.

Cheers

airbazar

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:26 am

A lot of them are American, and so are a lot of the suppliers. Which is why these silly, patriotism infused A vs. B spats are downright childish. Neither A nor B would be what they are today without participation and cooperation from companies and talent from their respective opposite side of the atlantic, and Asia. These are truly global companies in every sense of the word.

jacobin777

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 9):
A lot of them are American, and so are a lot of the suppliers. Which is why these silly, patriotism infused A vs. B spats are downright childish. Neither A nor B would be what they are today without participation and cooperation from companies and talent from their respective opposite side of the atlantic, and Asia. These are truly global companies in every sense of the word.

actually not, many people own Boing stock and want Boeing to crush the competition (Airbus, Northrop Grumman, ect)...and the converse is true also....

so its not just a "silly A versus B" thing.......there are real implications for many people.....
"Up the Irons!"

dazeflight

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting SoBe (Reply 8):
Yes. It seemed a rather odd choice of words. Quite a bit biased, or maybe I was reading something into it that was not there.

ohh, lovely paranoia...  duck 

kaniksu

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Thread starter):
Saw the show, finally, for the first time here in Toronto, last night. Quite liked it, summed up the situation facing the A380 nicely, albeit, a little on the pessimistic side of things, IMHO.

I accidently caught the show the other night and it was very interesting.

I did not find the show to be pessimistic, I found all of the worries to be well founded and obviously this aircraft is going to have more hurdles then the 787 or 350. I'm never disappointed with the shows I see on the History Channel. (Modern Marvels, Megastructures, etc)

skyharborshome

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:20 am

Normally, shows like "Seconds from Disaster" on NGC seem to be very objective. They appear to tell the facts regardless of how detrimental it is to the manufacturer (engine or fuselage). However, they always make a point that each incident strengthens the industry in safety and design.

I have watched the A380 show a couple of times and the only complaint I have is that they give the impression that these beasts are gonna have all these fancy lounges and other amenities. The members of this forum know that will not always be the case but I wish they would mention some of these airlines will buy the 380 and pack them from nose to tail with seats on both decks.
Fly CHD!

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:35 am

Confused?...My point was that engineers are engineers...regardless of where they work...

That's not quite true in a good part of the world an engineer is not an engineer, and engineer is a mechanic. Now I am confessed?

787engineer

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:44 am

My point was that engineers are engineers...regardless of where they work...

Do you mean they just "looked" like engineers or they acted like engineers? Other than their accents they would pass as normal Americans? Doesn't that apply to almost anyone that lives in a developed country and speaks english. . . Or maybe. . .they were fat enough to be just like Americans! Big grin  Silly

vv701

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:32 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 10):
actually not, many people own Boing stock and want Boeing to crush the competition (Airbus, Northrop Grumman, ect)...and the converse is true also....

There are few examples where a company crushing its competition has, in the long term, benefited the shareholders of the company doing the crushing. Without competition - however surprising it might seem - a company becomes stale and uncompetitive. Monopolies are unproductive due to inate human laziness and an attitude to do only what appears to be necessary to do and no stimulation from the competition.

Think about the 787 and 748. Would they exist without Airbus? Probably not. And the same applies the other way round. Why build an A380 if there was no Boeing, no 744? Instead be like Henry Ford - they can have any aircraft they like as long as its a black 737OG. Thankfully for Detroit Ford saw the competition coming and changed the philosophy.