Simpilicity
Topic Author

Why Don't UA Fly LAX/BNE Or SFO/BNE?

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:28 am

QF finally realised that

1) With the population of the state of Queensland now 4 million & most of those in south-east corner, within say 90 minutes drive of Brisvegas, none of these potential pax wants to fly to SYD or AKL to get to the USA.

2) Americans/Canadians flying to Australia, don't want to necessarily fly into SYD. SYD is a nice place to visit, FOR A DAY, but most want to see the Great Barrier Reef, which is in or off Queensland.

QF have been increasing nonstop between BNE & LAX & as from end of JAN will be 5/week.

UA many years ago, fly BNE/SYD/LAX, much like they fly MEL/SYD/LAX today. Even BNE/SYD/LAX would be better than current UA arrangement & they could offer SYD/BNE/SYD to Australian inbound pax on UA or UA codeshare flights !!!

As we understand it UA 744's don't have range of QF 744's due to engines. LAX/BNE is significantly shorter than LAX/SYD so UA would also be less weight restricted out of west coast.

Or instead of following QF, who is usually the follower, UA could even do SFO/BNE as very roughly same distance as LAX/BNE & pax would avoid nightmare which is LAX.

Even a LAX/BNE/SYD or a SFO/BNE/SYD would garner UA some pax, who's only real choice is QF now.

N1120A

RE: Why Don't UA Fly LAX/BNE Or SFO/BNE?

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:11 am

There a few reasons United doesn't fly to BNE. One, they currently lack widebody capacity for BNE service. As it is, they could only fly their 744s on the route as their 648,000 pound 772ERs would have to take hideous weight restrictions and those are pretty much used up on other parts of the system. Additionally, the 744 may be too much capacity on the route for them to start, and definately too many premium seats (remember, QF flies 2 class 744s on the BNE-LAX route and United only has 3 class 744s). Finally, the BNE route really relies more on traffic from Australia, which is not really where United draws.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

roseflyer

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:14 am

I would love to see LAX or SFO-BNE on United. I think one problem though might be that BNE would be far lower yieldinng than SYD. There is a lot of tourist traffic, but is there the business demand to support a flight? The First and Business Class cabins are important to making a flight profitable.

QF only recently started LAX-BNE. QF dominates the market between Australia and the United States. United doesn't need to start competing on a route like BNE-LAX/SFO if they don't feel that it is profitable. If someone that is loyal to United really wants to fly to BNE, they can always fly on Star Alliance Partner Air New Zealand.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

N1120A

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 2):
If someone that is loyal to United really wants to fly to BNE, they can always fly on Star Alliance Partner Air New Zealand.

Or they can fly UA to SYD and then on DJ under their agreement with UA to BNE

Bicoastal

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:45 am

UA simply does not have enough aircraft to fly the routes they and we want them to fly. Until they emerge from bankruptcy and can buy additional aircraft, don't look for much expansion. When they do want to expand, don't look for them to expand on "nice to have" routes. They'll make sure any new international routes will be money makers, not just full of leisure travelers.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Airlinerfreak

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting Simpilicity (Thread starter):
Or instead of following QF, who is usually the follower, UA could even do SFO/BNE as very roughly same distance as LAX/BNE & pax would avoid nightmare which is LAX.

Uhm, may I ask, what nightmare are you talking of? LAX is a breeze to get through! No sarcasm at all to that.

roseflyer

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:02 am

Quoting Airlinerfreak (Reply 5):
Uhm, may I ask, what nightmare are you talking of? LAX is a breeze to get through! No sarcasm at all to that.

I agree with you Airlinerfreak. If you are flying United, LAX is a great airport to connect through. UA has its own immigration and customs facility for its international arrivals. There is no terminal transfer necessary. The facilities are not bad at all. In fact SFO isn't any better since you have to walk from the international terminal to the domestic terminal.

LAX is only bad if you are switching airlines. If you fly in on Air New Zealand or Qantas and connect to a United flight, then you will have to switch terminals. Tom Bradley International Terminal isn't very nice. It can be crowded when there are a number of incoming flights, but flying in on UA is not bad at all. Just don't switch airlines in LAX. You will have to get on a stupid bus or take a walk with your belongings. That is what is a pain.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

N1120A

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 6):
UA has its own immigration and customs facility for its international arrivals.

Actually, it is not United's facility. It is share with DL, CO, China Southern, Aeromexico and others.

LAXintl

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
Actually, it is not United's facility. It is share with DL, CO, China Southern, Aeromexico and others

Incorrect.

Delta and its parters at T-5 have their own small customs facility.

The T-6/T-7 customs facility solely serves United and was primarily financed by the carrier during the T-7/8 terminal upgrades.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

N1120A

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:36 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 8):
Incorrect.

Delta and its parters at T-5 have their own small customs facility.

The T-6/T-7 customs facility solely serves United and was primarily financed by the carrier during the T-7/8 terminal upgrades.

What about Continental's Mexico flights?

chrisrad

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:45 am

Uhmm, you are joking? LAX is possibly along with JFK the worst airport that I have been too. Ever been to KUL, SIN, HKG? There is nothing worse than arriving in TBIT, fight the immigration lines, then having to wait to catch a bus to your next terminal with all of your carry on items all over the place. It's the last thing I want to be doing after fly 12+ hours.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

LAXintl

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:52 am

The daily Copa and the very much scaled back CO Mexico flights use TBIT.

[Edited 2006-01-13 02:59:02]

as739x

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:53 am

Chrisrad you missed the point. LAX is aweful if you are arriving at TBIT or having to connect to other airlines after arriving at terminals with customs. But if you arrive on UA and stay on a UA flight, LAX his nice. Their own Customs/Immigrations and in their own terminal.

Now if you have to arrive on another carrier, specially one that uses TBIT, that a nightmare.

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

N1120A

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:59 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 11):
Copa and CO go over to TBIT.

Wow, what a waste. I can't believe CO actually sends those little RJs all the way over there. Crazy

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:39 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 1):
One, they currently lack widebody capacity for BNE service.

They put on 3 extra LAX/SYD per week & have had trouble filling them. If they had put them on LAX/BNE instead, they would have filled them more easily at a higher yield. Check the loads on qf BNE/LAX NONSTOP !!!

Also, there's too much capacity out on SYD/LAX. BNE business types will change their day of departure, if they find QF don't fly BNE/LAX that day, rather than go thru awful SYD.

I think one problem though might be that BNE would be far lower yieldinng than SYD.

Myth-lot of business traffic on BNE/LAX nonstop. QF does MEL/LAX nonstop using 744ER's. UA launched the route I think, but was gazumped by QF. UA's weight restriction problems LAX/SYD were worse OVER LONGER LAX/MEL, so they pulled out.

they can always fly on Star Alliance Partner Air New Zealand.

Who wants to go via AKL !!!!

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 4):
UA simply does not have enough aircraft to fly the routes they and we want them to fly. Until they emerge from bankruptcy and can buy additional aircraft, don't look for much expansion. When they do want to expand, don't look for them to expand on "nice to have" routes. They'll make sure any new international routes will be money makers, not just full of leisure travelers.

They do have aircraft to put 3 extra LAX/SYD per week currently !!!

Don't fly UA as they don't fly to Brisvegas. UA codeshare on DJ-can't check bags thru, as far as we know BNE/SYD/LAX-SFO.

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 6):
I agree with you Airlinerfreak. If you are flying United, LAX is a great airport to connect through. UA has its own immigration and customs facility for its international arrivals. There is no terminal transfer necessary. The facilities are not bad at all. In fact SFO isn't any better since you have to walk from the international terminal to the domestic terminal.

BNE pax fly QF, not because it's a great airline, but via SYD adds 4, 5 or even 6 hours in each direction !!!

LAXintl

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:49 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):
Wow, what a waste. I can't believe CO actually sends those little RJs all the way over there. Crazy

The COEx Mexico flying has withered down to a mere two or so weekly flights per destination. The aircraft, as with Copa park at T-6 and pax get bussed over to TBIT.
I really wonder how serious COEx is with their pending LAX-SJD application as they seem to have just about walked away from the other LA-Mexico flying.

HKGKaiTak

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:54 am

Simpliicity why do we have yet another QF-bashing thread? Geez.

From an inbound tourism perspective, I think the majority of Americans who visit the Queensland holiday resorts won't care whether they transfer through SYD or BNE from / to the US, given they'd probably go to Sydney anyway. That's a fact according to tourism figures and my own inbound experience and not a figment of imagination.

From a business flyer perspective, you may find that people who regularly fly QF BNE-LAX because their company has a QF account for international flights and none with UA? Yes they may hate transferring thru SYD or AKL on the days QF don't operate to LAX direct, but they also wouldn't have a choice in what airline they fly. That's before you look at people you can't drag out of Qantas Clubs and won't have any Star Alliance status.

I doubt infrequent business travellers would care, or is allowed to care, what they fly and via where.

And from an outbound tourism perspective, infrequent travellers to the US won't care whether they fly via AKL, SYD or direct to LAX, esp if the direct flight is hard to get and potentially more expensive when they go and book. They'll grumble about it afterwards and say how good a direct LAX service will be or if UA flies to BNE, but these guys will always vote with the pockets.

Quoting AS739X (Reply 12):
Chrisrad you missed the point. LAX is aweful if you are arriving at TBIT or having to connect to other airlines after arriving at terminals with customs. But if you arrive on UA and stay on a UA flight, LAX his nice. Their own Customs/Immigrations and in their own terminal.

Now if you have to arrive on another carrier, specially one that uses TBIT, that a nightmare.

So LAX is a nightmare for most international travellers thru LAX then! Contrast this to any of the newer Asian airports and you'll see the difference!!!
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

LAXintl

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:01 pm

United Airlines manages to easily and cheaply operate additional Sydney frequencies by the mere fact as they already hold a presence in the market and can avoid costly marketing and establishment of staff/facilities in a new city such as Brisbane.

New long haul cities generaly take significant time and investment to show profit for a carrier (if ever). I'm quite certain that if UA felt Brisbane was such a jewel of a market, it would have resumed this route is operated for a brief time in the 90s a long time ago.

[Edited 2006-01-13 04:08:18]

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:07 pm

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 16):
I doubt infrequent business travellers would care, or is allowed to care, what they fly and via where.

who r u kididing. U must live in Sydney?

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 17):
I quite certain if UA felt BNE was such a jewel of a market, it would have resumed this route is operated for a brief time in the 90s a long time ago.

Actually UA by there decisions haven't been that bright & the way airline salaries r going, they'll probably make more dumb decisions.

Number crunchers in Chicago, have no idea !!!

If UA said it would allow QF Club members into their Red Carpet lounges, it would help entice these pax across to UA & would cost UA virtually nothing at all !!! If it meant they needed more or bigger Red Cc's then such a promo must be working !!!

N1120A

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 14):
They put on 3 extra LAX/SYD per week & have had trouble filling them.

The point of the extra 3 services was cargo demand more than anything

Check the loads on qf BNE/LAX NONSTOP !!!

Again, that is because QF is flying them and drying up the ex-Oz traffic. Additionally, they have the benefit of a dual class 744 fleet that makes the route more economically viable

UA launched the route I think, but was gazumped by QF. UA's weight restriction problems LAX/SYD were worse OVER LONGER LAX/MEL, so they pulled out.

That is because QF was able to dump their fares and still make a profit as the 744ER allows them to carry a full load most days on the route while United was stuck blocking off way too many seats.

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:18 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
The point of the extra 3 services was cargo demand more than anything

come off it. THEY'RE ALREADY WEIGHT RESTRICTED OUT OF LAX.

they put them on in DEC-JAN peak season, but they commited them too late, as well. Many Australian leisure travellers (very few business travellers in dec-jan period), commit very early. We book hundreds of JAN departures in FEB, 11 months ahead !!!

N1120A

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 20):
come off it. THEY'RE ALREADY WEIGHT RESTRICTED OUT OF LAX.

Ok, first off, they are only weight restricted out of LAX on days where weather dictates an alternate, which is not all the time. Second, they did add the flight for cargo demand, prefering to cap the pax on it in order to make the cargo money. Get over yourself.

HKGKaiTak

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 18):
who r u kididing. U must live in Sydney?

Business traveller: I need to fly to LA for an important business meeting on 29 June, and I want a direct flight to LA none of this transfer through NZ or SYD.
Corporate travel agent: That day QF flies direct to LAX, cost $6500, but UA has a fare for $5900 through SYD. Your policy says I must book you on the cheaper flight.

Well?
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:30 pm

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 22):
That day QF flies direct to LAX, cost $6500, but UA has a fare for $5900 through SYD. Your policy says I must book you on the cheaper flight.

Well?

Incredibly easy to get around any corportate travel policy - all that needs to be said is timing is wrong on UA or not available.

We have seen agents make seats disappear (sometimes 50 or more), so client(the pax, not the company that's paying) gets what they want.

Public servants use these methods all the time to make sure they're on QF, in their QF club, getting their points, rather than on DJ or now OzJet, although OzJet does seem to be getting a following of repeat customers. OzJet's battle is to get pax on them in the 1st place. Perhaps they should give away a free seat to a regular flyer - who can demonstrate he/she's flown QF say 1/2 dozen times in last month on higher fares !!!

roseflyer

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:42 pm

Myth-lot of business traffic on BNE/LAX nonstop.

Then why does QF only operate a two class 747? If there was enough business traffic filling the premium cabins, then United might be more inclined to open the route. United's long haul network is configured for premium and high yielding markets since every plane is a three class plane. BNE-LAX might have a lot of business traffic, but if they do, why doesn't QF offer first class. If QF cannot fill up a first class cabin, then how would United?

One more thing,

Honestly Simplicity, can you please stop starting all these threads that aren't based real facts but rather just devolve into opinion flamewars. You always seem to be negative about something be it United or Qantas or whomever else. Lighten up please.

Sincerely,
Many Anet Users

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:49 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 24):
Then why does QF only operate a two class 747? If there was enough business traffic filling the premium cabins, then United might be more inclined to open the route. United's long haul network is configured for premium and high yielding markets since every plane is a three class plane. BNE-LAX might have a lot of business traffic, but if they do, why doesn't QF offer first class. If QF cannot fill up a first class cabin, then how would United?

Think division between business & 1st is diminishing.

Haven't many U.S. carriers gone 2 class internationally? Isn't CO's called business 1st?

roseflyer

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:54 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 25):
Think division between business & 1st is diminishing.

Haven't many U.S. carriers gone 2 class internationally? Isn't CO's called business 1st?

Ok, but that isn't true for United. United still has a very separate business and first class section. The first class seats are fully flat beds while the business class seats are only comfortable recliners.

All in all, United more than any other airline in the United States, features more premium seats on international flights. American is the only other airline to have a first class section, but that is only available on 777s, so any 767 destinations only have business class. United really isn't the type of airline to cater to leisure customers travelling between the United States and Australia and while BNE has some business travellers, there are too many leisure customers in search of good fares (and these are the types that probably would be willing to transit via AKL or switch airlines once they arrive in SYD).

United just isn't the kind of airline to go into high leisure, low yield flights. About the only leisure long haul flights that United operates are between Hawaii and Japan (since they have specially configured domestic 777s for flights between the USA and Hawaii).

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:03 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 26):
Ok, but that isn't true for United. United still has a very separate business and first class section. The first class seats are fully flat beds while the business class seats are only comfortable recliners.

so does this mean that UA 1st is like QF business? In that case shouldn't UA get rid of so called business class?

Lot of business travellers ex BNE. Hey Boeing Australia based here now & lots more big corporation r moving ops here due to high costs in SYD/MEL !!!

QUEENSLAND THE GROWTH STATE !!!

N1120A

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:00 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 27):

so does this mean that UA 1st is like QF business? In that case shouldn't UA get rid of so called business class?

No, United First is a pod type fully flat F class seat like in F on many airlines. United Business are recliner type seats, but not the flat-but-not level seating that has become all the rage. Also, the food service levels are different.

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:07 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 28):
No, United First is a pod type fully flat F class seat like in F on many airlines.

but you've just described QF business class !!!

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:15 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 29):
but you've just described QF business class !!!

You could easily find your answers on UA's site, including all the features of the United First Suite, that in terms of seating arrangement, could hardly be called QF Business.
International Homo of Mystery

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:22 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 30):
You could easily find your answers on UA's site, including all the features of the United First Suite, that in terms of seating arrangement, could hardly be called QF Business.

there seems to be very little difference & in reference to waffle above talking about reason why UA can't fly to BNE, they don't stack up.

UA should return to BNE, but only on a nonstop basis from west coast either from SFO or LAX & compete with QF. Doesn't have to be everyday of the week, intially, but loads & yield will encourage them to put on more services, approaching daily, rather than stupid idea of putting on 3 extra per week, LAX/SYD services late in the booking cycle, which will never fill up or even go close !!!

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:28 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 31):
there seems to be very little difference & in reference to waffle above talking about reason why UA can't fly to BNE, they don't stack up.

What did you say?

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 32):
What did you say?

all these people saying that BNE can't support a 3 class aircraft, when UA 1st seems to be same or very similar to QF business.

There's plenty of high yield traffic out of BNE. Just need to know how to tap it !!!

How much short is LAX/BNE cf. LAX/SYD anyway? According to my system, 7173 miles vs 7509 miles or 336 miles, a not insignificant distance. How many more bums in seats does that allow?

6thfreedom

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:34 pm

Myth-lot of business traffic on BNE/LAX nonstop. QF does MEL/LAX nonstop using 744ER's. UA launched the route I think, but was gazumped by QF. UA's weight restriction problems LAX/SYD were worse OVER LONGER LAX/MEL, so they pulled out.

Mate, you have no idea.

UA suspended LAX-MEL post S11... In April 2002 actually.
At one stage they operated double daily one-stoppers to MEL...

LAX-AKL-MEL & LAX-SYD-MEL.

UA announced MEL non-stop in June 1999, with the start date set as Dec 1999. A few hours later, QF announced non-stop services commencing Oct 1999, so QF only had a 2 month head start on UA.

Queensland may have 4 million population, but the majority of the hillbillies aren't located within kooee of Brisbane, and probably couldn't afford to travel long haul.

Besides, you guys have all the fun parks up there - why would you want to travel to the US?

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:35 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 33):
all these people saying that BNE can't support a 3 class aircraft, when UA 1st seems to be same or very similar to QF business.

And what does that have to do with your going onto UA's site to look at the configuration of the United First Suite before jumping to (yet another) conclusion?

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 34):
Mate, you have no idea.

Mate YOU have no idea !!!

Surpirsed you even have telephones out there in the middle of nowhere. Have u got a satellite mobile phone?

How did u become part of Australia? Have you counted your toes & fingers lately?

UA announced MEL non-stop in June 1999, with the start date set as Dec 1999. A few hours later, QF announced non-stop services commencing Oct 1999, so QF only had a 2 month head start on UA.

So I was correct, they got gazumped !!!

Who's talking about 1 stoppers. Who wants to fly via SYD or AKL when u can go nonstop daily !!!!

Queensland may have 4 million population, but the majority of the hillbillies aren't located within kooee of Brisbane, and probably couldn't afford to travel long haul.

Majority of Qld population lives with 45 minutes of Brisbane GPO. 3.6 million people live with 90 minutes of Brisbane GPO, that's NSW boarder to Noosa !!!

I thought all the hillbillies were on Heard and McDonald Islands.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 35):
And what does that have to do with your going onto UA's site to look at the configuration of the United First Suite before jumping to (yet another) conclusion?

so what IS the difference then?

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 36):
so what IS the difference then?

It's obvious you don't even want to make the slightest effort to satisfy your own curiousity. You know the URL ... united.com It's there plain as day.

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:54 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 37):
united.com It's there plain as day.

yep, definitley sounds like QF business class, so what is UA business class for, upgrades only? A non-class, old chunky seats from the early 90's?

N1120A

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:29 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 38):
yep, definitley sounds like QF business class

Ok, this has gone on long enough. Since you can't do your own research on this very site, I will do it for you, but I don't want another peep about this.

Qantas Business:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jason Milligan

United First:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Francis Liang

There is a massive difference between the two of them. United's First seats compete with Qantas' First seats, not their business seats.

6thfreedom

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:30 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 36):
Who wants to fly via SYD or AKL when u can go nonstop daily !!!!

Well, you Queenslanders can't go non-stop daily, that's for sure!

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
There is a massive difference between the two of them. United's First seats compete with Qantas' First seats, not their business seats.

BOY R U BEHIND THE TIMES !!!

QF has been spending a fortune on TV ads selling their pod business class seats, that go to 180 degrees that FLAT.

The QF photo above is nearly 2 years old !!!

Sounds like QF business is better than UA 1st !!!

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 40):
Well, you Queenslanders can't go non-stop daily, that's for sure!

Now that daily QF BNE/AKL/LAX involves 4 or 5 hours at AKL (from end of this month), am certain, if QF have the aircraft, they be going daily very soon.

They can always pull one off SYD/LAX as too much capacity on that route.

N1120A

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:48 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 41):

Boy do you not do even the tiniest bit of research. If you had gone to this http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...ravelClasses/internationalBusiness URL, you would have seen that those seats in the picture are the same as Qantas advertises.

Simpilicity
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:52 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 43):
Boy do you not do even the tiniest bit of research. If you had gone to this http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...ravelClasses/internationalBusiness URL, you would have seen that those seats in the picture are the same as Qantas advertises.

Wrong again !!!

QF bus class across Pacific is nowew fully recliner POD seats completely FLAT !!!

That's why everyone want to fly bus class (pitty they didn't want to pay for it)

N1120A

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:57 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 44):
Wrong again !!!

QF bus class across Pacific is nowew fully recliner POD seats completely FLAT !!!

That's why everyone want to fly bus class (pitty they didn't want to pay for it)

For crying out loud, will you give it up already. Qantas uses the same 180 degree, but not level seats that are used on SQ, NW, LH, KL and others. They are not the same as the Club World beds on BA or the Virgin/Air New Zealand beds. They are considered better (by some) than older cradle/recliner business class seats, though some people feel like they are constantly slipping out of them. They are not the same as the First class seats that are on pretty much every airline that still offers a competitive international First, and that includes QF. Go to the freaking Qantas website and see for yourself.

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:58 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 44):
(pitty they didn't want to pay for it)

It's such a shame, really. Didn't you, err, him, err, someone have a post once about how to avoid being seated with the riff-raff?

6thfreedom

Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:17 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 46):
It's such a shame, really. Didn't you, err, him, err, someone have a post once about how to avoid being seated with the riff-raff?

Must have been the same post from the Qantas-bashing loser that was seeking an upgrade on an N class fare!

SFORunner

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:05 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 41):

QF has been spending a fortune on TV ads selling their pod business class seats, that go to 180 degrees that FLAT.

The QF photo above is nearly 2 years old !!!

The QF SkyBed was announced in September 2003:

http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn.../details?ArticleID=2003/sep03/2965

Skybed is 6 feet, 6.5 inches (199.4 cm) long and 23.5 inch (60 cm) wide when fully reclined to 8 degrees.

While the bed surface is flat, it is not parallel to the floor when fully reclined.

The UA F Suite is parallel to the floor when fully reclined.

ZK-NBT

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:12 pm

I don't like to sound biased but I think you will see UA back in AKL before BNE.

Though funnily enough I was thinking just today UA could operate LAX-AKL-BNE. Guess that wouldn't suit you since, who wants to go via AKL??? A fairly unlikely route anyway since they would operate LAX-AKL and connect to NZ anyway.

Yes i'm sure QF will do BNE-LAX daily non stop sometime soon.