GuitrThree
Topic Author

Any Awos, Anyone Use It?

Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:35 pm

First off, Any Awos is a toll free service (1-877-any-awos) that you can dial up and with the US three letter/number combo of the airfield, you would be connected to the airports AWOS system.
Does anyone here use it? I've called it numerous times to get information about local weather of areas I'm traveling to. This was great information, because you just had to know the airport identifier.

The bad news is that February 6th, 2006, it will be no longer free. They have a $65/year service, unlimited calls, and goodies, or now a $30/year cost limited to only 5 calls per month.

They have tried selling ads during the "hold" part (when the system was connecting), but I guess it never went over well, thus the cost.

Well, thanks Any-Awos for the ride, but I'll just keep the AOPA airport manual handy, and dial direct on the cell phone.

Just wondering if anyone else around here like me think's that $30 a year for only one call per week is worth it.

http://www.anyawos.com
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

BigJimFX

RE: Any Awos, Anyone Use It?

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:08 pm

Never heard of it before, but I will use it from now on. IMHO this info is very valuable and well worth the $65 a year. I wouldn't do the $30 a year just because there is always a chance that you may need to call more than once a week to check on conditions to see if weather is improving or not. Plus im sure it's faster than dialing 1-800-WX-BRIEF. That one's free.
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...

TimT

RE: Any Awos, Anyone Use It?

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:17 pm

I thought to A/FD had published AWOS phone numbers in it. Has it changed? And that was a free call too. Just a simple phone line conneted to the audio line of the AWOS. same computer voice and everything.

Personally, I subscibe to Pilot My-cast for $130 a year and get METARS, TAFS, Radar, Lightning,TFR's, and satellite picture on my phone for any domestic (US) airport.