nycfuturepilot

University Of Illinois Aviation

Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:41 am

I was just accepted to the University of Illinois as a pilot major in their institute of aviation (will be getting a BA or a BBA also) but really dont know much about it, was wondering what everyone knows about the school and what you think about it.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

roseflyer

RE: University Of Illinois Aviation

Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:55 am

I have heard good things about it. University of Illinois is one of the best public schools in the country and that reputation will serve you well. If you don't make it or choose not to follow your pilot career, you will have a good undergraduate education presuming that you do not slack off. If you put the work in, then you will be well prepared. My biggest suggestion is that you should work hard on the academics too. If you get a strong education, then you will have somewhere to fall back on if you cannot make it financially as a pilot and need to supplement your living.

As for the school of aviation, I have heard that there are a fair number of people that go to the military after studying there. I have met a few people that go to school there and haven't heard anything bad.

Doing your flight training in Central Illinois will definitely help you understand weather. You will be very knowledgeable about thunderstorms and convective activity as well as icing. The airspace is not very crowded around there at all, which can be a good or bad thing. Now if you want to live for four years in Central Illinois is a different thing. It is a good school and college town though.

Good luck in your future endeavours!

[Edited 2006-01-14 21:57:02]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

CHI787ORD

Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:12 pm

I don't know much about the aviation program, but I can tell you a little about U of I.

U of I is considered to be a "public-ivy", being one of the best public universities in the country. It has a VERY LARGE campus in Urbana & Champaign, Illinois. It's interesting to note that a strong majority of undergraduates at U of I are from the Chicagoland area, and not from places in southern Illinois.

If you are ever craving the big city life, Chicago is only a few hours away by road or a nonstop AA flight to ORD.

jacobin777

Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:32 pm

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 2):
not from places in southern Illinois.

there's nothing down there...that's why.. Wink

UofI is a great school..many of my friends from highschool went there...
"Up the Irons!"

Salukipilot

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:14 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 3):
there's nothing down there...that's why..

Hey hey there!!! There's Southern Illinois University!!

Dont't forget about us! Big grin
Silver Airways Captain

flyingbronco05

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:47 pm

Quoting Nycfuturepilot (Thread starter):
I was just accepted to the University of Illinois as a pilot major in their institute of aviation (will be getting a BA or a BBA also) but really dont know much about it,

Why would you apply some place you know very little about?
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

jacobin777

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:10 pm

Quoting Salukipilot (Reply 4):

Dont't forget about us!  biggrin 

u're TOTALLY right......I was going to put that in before I got distracted watching the football game and then forgot to put it in...... Wink
"Up the Irons!"

Type-Rated

Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:06 am

Both schools aviation programs have been around for many, many years. I almost went to U of I, but ended up at Louisiana Tech. For some reason I couldn't remember, Tech had an advantage over U of I at the time (1969). For some reason I preferred the back woods over the cornfields  Smile->!

I think it was back in 1974, the IFA had an airmeet at SIU which I attended.

There was an old UA Viscount parked at Carbondale airport. I wonder if it is still there?
There also was a derelict Beech 18 sitting at the old Ruston airport. I wonder what they did to that when they redeveloped the land?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

nycfuturepilot

Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting Flyingbronco05 (Reply 5):
Why would you apply some place you know very little about?

My advisor told me the day before the deadline that I'd be able to study aviation and business and all i really had to do to apply was copy and paste an essay i had all ready written on to the illinois website so figured I might as well just do it then if I got in go out to take a look and learn more about the school. Anyone flown into CMI? how is it?
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

fraspotter

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:46 am

I was just accepted to the University of Illinois as a pilot major in their institute of aviation (will be getting a BA or a BBA also)

Yeah, I am doing the same thing as you, except not going to Illinois. I've applied to LeTourneau University in Longview, Texas, Oklahoma State University, and University of Dubuque in Iowa. All 3 of those schools have great Aviation programs.
At LeTourneau and Dubuque during the spring of your Junior year they can set you up with an internship with American Eagle... Plus all 3 of those schools have quite modern fleets of single and twin engine turbo prop aircraft with the oldest being from 1979.
I also considered the University of North Dakota which supposedly has one of the best programs in the country with an average fleet age of 4 years old, but I decided to stick to a school somewhere near where I have family (i.e. Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa).

Good Luck at Illinois...
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

nycfuturepilot

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:38 pm

Anyone know anything about the flying team? i know they fly a 152. Surprised there arent any UIUC students on here.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

atrude777

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:57 pm

Dont't forget about us!

hahaha rock on !!!! I LIVE in Southern Illinois, so YA theres SOMETHING HERE!  Wink

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

flyingbronco05

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting Nycfuturepilot (Reply 10):
Anyone know anything about the flying team? i know they fly a 152.

HA! Want a good flight team, look to WMU.

The Sky Bronco Flight Team relishes in a rich history of regional and national competitive successes. The Sky Broncos captured the National Intercollegiate Flying Association's Region III title in October 2005 with strong performances in all of the competition's 10 events. WMU flight teams have placed among the top three in the nation for 14 consecutive years.

http://www.wmich.edu/aviation/organizations/skybroncos/
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

TWAalltheway

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:54 pm

Hi there.
I can answer any questions you may have about Illinois Aviation (and the U of I in general), as I previously went to the U of I (I transferred), and I flew in their aviation program. I can tell you right off the bat...it is one heck of program. They fly new Pipers there, all of which were delivered in 98-99. Many have GPS. The flight instructors are all outstanding (unless you get stuck with a part-timer who is just a newbie flight instructor), and the level of flight training you get is great.
The Champaign airport is a great airport to learn, because you get real-world experience. It is a class C airport, with regularly scheduled commercial flights, and it can get rather busy at times with 25 aircraft doing touch-and-goes on their parallel runways.
U of I Aviation may not be as well known as their engineering, but it's an outstanding program. Any questions, feel free to email me at bowers.259@osu.edu. I highly recommend going out there and visiting the airport and getting a tour, if you don't know much about it. Best of luck,

Jacob Bowers
TWAalltheway

PurdueAv2003

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:09 pm

I got my A&P and Engineering degrees from Purdue, but had a few friends from U of I. It was a great school, but I didn't care for the campus or the city. You can rack up some hours, though, flying over to LAF, visit my old stomping grounds, party, wait 8 hrs, and fly back. Make sure you stop by Harry's for me! Big grin
Ptu = Ftu X Anet (not to be confused with a.net)

nycfuturepilot

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:11 pm

TWA...Thanks a lot, I will definitely e-mail you at some point this spring to ask you about UI
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

LambertMan

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:18 pm

The University of Illinois itself is a great school, the aviation school is just mediocre. I went to the open house in 2001 and it was nice, but nothing magnificent. Southern Illinois University is a much better option if you are looking for a pure aviation school, but the campus leaves some to be desired.

777STL

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:19 pm

Dont't forget about us! Big grin

How do you think I feel, I go to the "other SIU"? Big grin

(One year til I graduate and then I'm moving as far away as possible)

It really is funny though to listen to people from Chicagoland bash southern Illinois(the region) when they don't have a clue.
PHX based

nycfuturepilot

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:50 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 16):
The University of Illinois itself is a great school, the aviation school is just mediocre. I went to the open house in 2001 and it was nice, but nothing magnificent. Southern Illinois University is a much better option if you are looking for a pure aviation school, but the campus leaves some to be desired.

Nah, really looking for business, the aviation was a bonus (both are 2 yr programs)
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

uadc8contrail

Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:27 pm

L E W I S UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!!
bus driver.......move that bus:)

stlgph

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:01 pm

I was just accepted to the University of Illinois as a pilot major in their institute of aviation (will be getting a BA or a BBA also) but really dont know much about it, was wondering what everyone knows about the school and what you think about it.

I grew up in Champaign and am there quite often. I know a few people that went through this program, loved it, and are presently employed in the industry. The ultimate goal, right?

However, a lot of them did an option to double major and when I talked to them, that is the one thing they said they would suggest others to do. Is to pick up a double major. Some of them took foreign language (Spanish, etc.) as an option. This being because a few years ago, Aviation wasn't even allowed as a major, but as a minor. A lot of companies/industry are still slow to recognize that it is now an option/degree within itself.

Quoting 777STL (Reply 17):
How do you think I feel, I go to the "other SIU"? Big grin

SIUE is a unique institution in and of itself. Vandegrift is looking at aligning SIUE with a program in the St. Louis area and offering an Aviation program within the next few years.

the aviation school is just mediocre.

Who are you kidding?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

LambertMan

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:06 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 20):
Who are you kidding?

Well, thats what I was told when I was weighing my options back in '01. Many people including my old neighbor who is a 744 captain for UA told me to go to Carbondale or Parks. I know that U of I has some nice Pipers, but beyond that I honestly have not heard any great remarks about the school.

uadc8contrail

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:08 pm

WHEN IN DOUBT.......head north to romeoville
bus driver.......move that bus:)

PIA777

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Do you have any classes at Willard Field? Thats far from the Campus.
Congrats on your acceptance. I think everything at U of I is great.
Its one of the best schools in the nation.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

stlgph

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:52 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 21):
Well, thats what I was told when I was weighing my options back in '01. Many people including my old neighbor who is a 744 captain for UA told me to go to Carbondale or Parks. I know that U of I has some nice Pipers, but beyond that I honestly have not heard any great remarks about the school.

three words -- University of Illinois.

CHI787ORD

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 17):
It really is funny though to listen to people from Chicagoland bash southern Illinois(the region) when they don't have a clue.

Believe me.... I lived in Carbondale for 8 months. I now live 20 minutes from Chicago, and I can say that there isn't much in Southern Illinois.

You actually feel like you're in the south as compared to the midwest.

atrude777

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:51 am

Very Unique to hear from those who reside here in carbondale (i have been living here for 18 years hahahaha  Smile

Right now I am attending a local community college. Then I will transfer to SIU-C (the real SIU, sorry 777STL  Wink)

Surprisingly I love Carbondale, we have a small home town feel and not that far from a major big city (STL) or world wide city (Chicago, Memphis). We are nicely located. I enjoy it. Great University here (SIU-C). Excellent Aviation Program as Bryan said (lambertman).

I will be going for Aviation Mgmt, and minor in Computer Science.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

PIA777

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 3):
UofI is a great school..many of my friends from highschool went there...

I went to U Of I from 88-90, got home sick so I transfered to IIT in Chicago.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

daedaeg

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:40 am

Yes you can't forget the regects who couldn't get into U of I.  wink 

I kiddd....I kidd!!!
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

777STL

Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting CHI787ORD (Reply 25):
Believe me.... I lived in Carbondale for 8 months. I now live 20 minutes from Chicago, and I can say that there isn't much in Southern Illinois.

The area around STL isn't bad at all, afterall we have the fine community of East St. Louis.

Deep south Illinois, ok, I'll agree with you.

I don't have any particular affinity for SIU or this region, but there are some common misconceptions held mostly by people north of Champaign that just aren't true.
PHX based

stlgph

Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 26):
Then I will transfer to SIU-C (the real SIU, sorry 777STL Wink)

too bad SIU Edwardsville's reputation far supercedes that of SIU Carbondale. and budget, too. which is part of the reason why SIUE will be adding a ton of new program over the next 15 years and SIU Carbondale is potentially eliminating programs.

weeksyUK

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:24 am

Hi

This is my first post on A.net but i have been lurking as a reader of the forums for the past year or so.

I thought i would add my views on UIUC as there seems to be very few current students...I spent a semester there in Fall 05. I am a History major so cannot really comment on the Aviation classes but firstly the University Campus is fantastic in terms of facilities as well as the atmosphere - Its hard to beat the image of 40,000+ students mostly dressed in the school colors Orange and Blue! My semester was fantastic because of the friendliness of everyone i met, the quality of teaching, and of course the bars on Green St and Downtown Champaign helped hehe!

Secondly Willard Airport (CMI) is a great airport - i used it several times to ORD for onward connecting flights and was impressed with the service. Although the flights to ORD aren't cheap, they can be affordable when part of an itinery (in my case to LGA, BOS, and MEX). The terminal building is fairly small with one cafe and nothing once through the security check but has free wireless internet access.

regards,
David

SX36

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:27 am

If U of I doesn't work out for you, University of North Dakota will certainly teach you all about winter flying. We too get all the different weather systems passing through. Just last year we had a tornado touch down near the airport, thank goodness it was a small one. We have a Newer Piper fleet with ages ranging from 2001-2005. All have the Garmin GNS 430 and we are currently moving to an all glass fleet. We also just picked up 6 new Cirrus SR-20's for some instrument flying.
NW, the only way out.....

planespotting

Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:48 am

U of I is a great school, hands down. Their aviation program (from what i've heard) is decent, but it is not as presitigious as the likes of UND, and SIU. It is probably on par (or a little lesser than) the University of Dubuque or Saint Louis University.

But, going to the U of I, you get the Big 10 large public school experience, which is definitely a good thing (for some). I did my undergrad at a small private school (UD) and am doing my grad work at a large public school (University of Iowa...the other U of I) and definitely would rather have gone to the big public school for undergrad (no aviation program to be found here though...). But, some are not as well suited for a big public school right out of high school, and I may have been one of those people, looking back. At a big school like that, you are going to have a lot more opportunities to do things and see people and all that fun stuff that college should be about (expanding your academic, intellectual, social and recreational horizons). A private school would limit those opportunities.

In any case, "Chambana" is a very fun place to go to school. The kids that go to school there are as fun as the kids at most large schools, and i partied with a few of them here in Iowa City after the Iowa-Illinois football game this past fall...it was quite the time. Ironically, many of the Chicago area kids who don't get accepted into the University of Illinois, end up going to the University of Iowa, haha. but that's how we get all that out-of-state tuition.

Anyway, I can pretty much guarantee that you will enjoy your education at the U of I, and soon thereafter be able to reap all the benefits going to such a prestigious school entails upon your graduation.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

atrude777

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:35 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 30):
too bad SIU Edwardsville's reputation far supercedes that of SIU Carbondale. and budget, too. which is part of the reason why SIUE will be adding a ton of new program over the next 15 years and SIU Carbondale is potentially eliminating programs.

All right...........

For one..I was JOKING, hint the WINK? ya wink wink? <---that smily?

I KNOW The budget of SIU-C is going down believe me I know its hit my dad's paycheck quite a bit, he works at SIU as the marketing Director for Saluki Athletics. So believe me, he knows a bit about the budget.

What reputation? All I have heard of SIU-E is party this, party that. SIU-C used to be like that as well, but we have totally stepped up to our standards and we are very low on the party school list. Which may or may not be a bad thing to some others.

SIU-C's reputation is HUGE in the country, especially in sports. Where everyteam finished 1st or 2nd place, or won a conference, or a championship or entered the NCAA bid, something that exceeded expectations and is now becoming a thing of our school.

SIU Mens basketball program is very well, number 2 in the COUNTRY for most wins at home so far.....

As for programs being eliminated im not surprised.

SIU-C still has an amazing Aviation Program, and is actually the only college in the state of Illinois to have a Mech or something program aviation related. Not bad at all.

Yes, I posted a bit more then I needed to, but whatever.

Alex

[Edited 2006-01-17 02:37:42]

planespotting

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:11 am

Also, in regards to SIU-C...

Three of my former professors got their Masters/Doctorate from there, and they all said that it was a different world down there. One of my professors said this:

"those guys act like the civil war hasn't happened yet"

and another said this:

"it was the only place I've ever lived that had an annual KKK convention"

oh you crazy southern-illinoisans---

PIA777

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:27 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 35):
"it was the only place I've ever lived that had an annual KKK convention"

Southern Illinois is pretty racist. I have seen more friendly faces
in rural Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky. I often drive up to
Chicago from Atlanta and get pretty mean looks when I stop for gas.
This is ofcourse south of Urbana. There is a town called "Anna"
near Carbondale and one of my sisters co-workers claims that
people use to say it stood for "Aint No (N-word) Allowed".
Pretty awful!!

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

atrude777

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:48 am

PIA777-

Anna is 20 minutes from my city. I find that hard to believe but not saying it isnt true.

As for the KKK stuff I have experienced the opposite actually. But I won't say anymore. Time and place for everything, now isnt the time.

Alex

PIA777

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:02 pm

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 37):
Anna is 20 minutes from my city. I find that hard to believe but not saying it isnt true.

As for the KKK stuff I have experienced the opposite actually. But I won't say anymore. Time and place for everything, now isnt the time.

I am only the messanger. I never heard it myself. I am only telling you what
my sister's white co-worker who grew up in Anna said.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

wdleiser

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:57 pm

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 9):
Yeah, I am doing the same thing as you, except not going to Illinois. I've applied to LeTourneau University in Longview, Texas, Oklahoma State University, and University of Dubuque in Iowa. All 3 of those schools have great Aviation programs.
At LeTourneau and Dubuque during the spring of your Junior year they can set you up with an internship with American Eagle... Plus all 3 of those schools have quite modern fleets of single and twin engine turbo prop aircraft with the oldest being from 1979.
I also considered the University of North Dakota which supposedly has one of the best programs in the country with an average fleet age of 4 years old, but I decided to stick to a school somewhere near where I have family (i.e. Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa).

Good Luck at Illinois...

University of Auburn has a nice program and I applied there, have yet to here back from them though.

I just got accepted into ERAU at Prescot there so I think I may go there though.

777STL

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:46 pm

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 34):
What reputation? All I have heard of SIU-E is party this, party that. SIU-C used to be like that as well, but we have totally stepped up to our standards and we are very low on the party school list. Which may or may not be a bad thing to some others.

SIU-C's reputation is HUGE in the country, especially in sports. Where everyteam finished 1st or 2nd place, or won a conference, or a championship or entered the NCAA bid, something that exceeded expectations and is now becoming a thing of our school.

Oh please tell me you're kidding....

You think god awful Edwardsville is more of a party town than Carbondale? Afterall, SIUC is the school that has to shutdown the week of Halloween or else the kids have a nasty tendency to riot.

I went to a real Big 12 party school, SIUC is a party school, SIUE is not.

No one knows anything about either SIU, IMO, U of I is the only good public school in Illinois.
PHX based

wdleiser

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:59 pm

Quoting 777STL (Reply 40):

You think god awful Edwardsville is more of a party town than Carbondale? Afterall, SIUC is the school that has to shutdown the week of Halloween or else the kids have a nasty tendency to riot.

No one knows anything about either SIU, IMO, U of I is the only good public school in Illinois.

We are all forgetting University Of Wisconsin is the number 1 party school, had they had a flight program or had I not wanted to become a pilot, I would be there as a freshman next fall.

atrude777

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:57 am

No, I have tons of friends going to SIU-E and when they come home for the weekend, I seriously all I hear is party this and party that. SIU-C has just as much parties yes, but I don't hear about it as much.

Yes it is stupid SIU-C still has to do that and the place is dead and quiet. Very erie to drive through Carbondale, with everything closed.

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 41):
We are all forgetting University Of Wisconsin is the number 1 party school, had they had a flight program or had I not wanted to become a pilot, I would be there as a freshman next fall.

Thats right, SIU-C dropped down, way down on the party school list.

LMP737

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:27 am

Southern Illinois University is a much better option if you are looking for a pure aviation school, but the campus leaves some to be desired.

Actually the campus, is pretty nice. Being in the middle of the Shawnee National Forrest gives it a pituresque setting. Unlike most Illinois colleges that seem to be plucked down into the middle of corn fields. SIUC even has it's own lake with dorms on the shoreline. Here's a picture of the SIUC 737 overflying the campus.

http://www.aviation.siu.edu/facilities/737/

Afterall, SIUC is the school that has to shutdown the week of Halloween or else the kids have a nasty tendency to riot.

Unless I missed it on the academic year calendar there's no "Halloween" break at SIUC any longer. The 80's was the period of time that the worst riots occurred. When I was there SIUC, along with Carbondale, was trying to get away from that. In fact except for one year nothing happened while I was there. One of the big problems that lead to the "Halloween" vacation were people road tripping to Carbondale to party. While the reputation as a party school was well deserved at one time it really isn't anymore.

Since your an SIUE student does your comment about U of I being the only good public school in Illinois mean you are getting a poor education?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

777STL

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 43):
Unless I missed it on the academic year calendar there's no "Halloween" break at SIUC any longer. The 80's was the period of time that the worst riots occurred. When I was there SIUC, along with Carbondale, was trying to get away from that. In fact except for one year nothing happened while I was there. One of the big problems that lead to the "Halloween" vacation were people road tripping to Carbondale to party. While the reputation as a party school was well deserved at one time it really isn't anymore.

Since your an SIUE student does your comment about U of I being the only good public school in Illinois mean you are getting a poor education?

SIUC has had to take Halloween week off within the past few years.

As to Illinois state schools, SIUE, SIUC, Western, Illinois State, Eastern, NIU and whatever other state schools there are don't compare to U of I. I think most objective people would agree with me. I'm getting my undergrad at SIUE because it's cheap, I'll go somewhere better for grad school/law school.

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 43):
While the reputation as a party school was well deserved at one time it really isn't anymore.

Haha, alright if you say so....

I'm still floored people consider SIUE more of a party school than SIUC, at least it seems that's what the people who go/went to SIUC want to think. I've spent the vast majority of my life in Edwardsville, trust me, this is not a party town. Chambana is a party town, Carbondale is a party town, Columbia, MO is a party town....Edwardsville is not a party town.
PHX based

LMP737

Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 44):
I'm still floored people consider SIUE more of a party school than SIUC, at least it seems that's what the people who go/went to SIUC want to think. I've spent the vast majority of my life in Edwardsville, trust me, this is not a party town. Chambana is a party town, Carbondale is a party town, Columbia, MO is a party town....Edwardsville is not a party town.

Did I ever say Edwardsville was a party town? No I did not.

SIUC has had to take Halloween week off within the past few years.

Fall semester 2001 was the last year there was a "fall break". With the start of the fall 2006 semester it will have been five years since the last "fall break". Somewhat more than a few.

Haha, alright if you say so....

Have you ever attended SIUC? For that matter have you ever been to Carbondale?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

777STL

Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 45):
Have you ever attended SIUC? For that matter have you ever been to Carbondale?

Yes, I'm sorry. Carbondale is a fine community and SIUC is the Harvard of the midwest. Happy?

I understand school pride, I have pride in the first school I went to, not so much SIUE. Pride seems to be keeping you from having an objective opinion on the subject considering you go/went there. If you think SIUC isn't a party school, fine, that's your opinion. I'm telling you how the rest of the world perceives SIUC and Carbondale. Let's agree to disagree.

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 45):
Did I ever say Edwardsville was a party town? No I did not.

Seems certain people were insinuating that Edwardsville is much more of a party school than SIUC. That is categorically untrue. Believe me, Edwardsville isn't a fun place to live, Edwardsville itself pretends SIUE doesn't exist for the most part. I wasn't talking to you anyway with that statement.
PHX based

atrude777

Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 46):
Seems certain people were insinuating that Edwardsville is much more of a party school than SIUC. That is categorically untrue. Believe me, Edwardsville isn't a fun place to live, Edwardsville itself pretends SIUE doesn't exist for the most part. I wasn't talking to you anyway with that statement.

I was implying, due to recent years SIUE was more of a party town then SIU-C was, but did NOT say SIUE ITSELF was a party town.

planespotting

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 46):
and SIUC is the Harvard of the midwest. Happy?

haha, that sent me the giggles.

CHI787ORD

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 29):
The area around STL isn't bad at all, afterall we have the fine community of East St. Louis.

haha. this comment made my day.

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 36):
Southern Illinois is pretty racist. I have seen more friendly faces
in rural Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky. I often drive up to
Chicago from Atlanta and get pretty mean looks when I stop for gas.
This is ofcourse south of Urbana. There is a town called "Anna"
near Carbondale and one of my sisters co-workers claims that
people use to say it stood for "Aint No (N-word) Allowed".
Pretty awful!!

Doesn't suprise me.

As to Illinois state schools, SIUE, SIUC, Western, Illinois State, Eastern, NIU and whatever other state schools there are don't compare to U of I. I think most objective people would agree with me. I'm getting my undergrad at SIUE because it's cheap, I'll go somewhere better for grad school/law school.

There are only two state schools in Illinois that are worth mentioning: U of I and UIC.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos