radiocheck

Mechanic Sucked Into CO 737 Engine In El Paso

Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:51 am

Making matters worse, there were passengers on the aircraft, some of whom witnessed the event. I can't even imagine seeing something like that.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/16/airplane.fatality/index.html

aogdesk

RE: Mechanic Sucked Into CO 737 Engine In El Paso

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:08 am

Wow. Talk about your worst nightmare coming true.

PLEASE be careful out there folks....rampers, mechanics, agents, fuelers. We all get so complacent out there day after day, and in reality, we're just as susceptible to this sort of thing as anyone else. We almost had a ramper die on Friday after he fell from a K-Loader at A300 cargo door height. Had to use the paddles to get him back, and he's not in great shape.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of that mechanic.

D L X

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:08 am

Holy crap!!!

That is so incredibly sad.  Sad

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:34 am

Wow...

Working on the ramp, I always wonder how often this kind of thing happens. It is very easy to get too comfortable around those engines. I've seen mechanics crouching under engines during a test-run and it is quite a sight to see them so close.

I have always wondered. Can a 737 engine at idle fully suck a person into an engine? For some reason they just do not appear to be moving fast enough to create enough suction for that...which is another reason it is so easy to get to comfy with them. Not that I'm going to dare stand right in front of an idle engine, but it's just that these accidents seem to always occur during engine run-ups where the engines are running at a higher than idle power setting. Just something I have wondered...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

dtwclipper

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:39 am

So, what is unclear to me, is was this being done at the gate?

The article is a little mis-leading.

"Continental Airlines Flight 1515 was preparing to take off for Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston when "a maintenance-related engine run-up of the right-hand engine".

Preparing for take off or preparing for departure from the gate?
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

LTU932

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:42 am

Damn, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes after having seeing this. This is absolutely horrifying. My sympathies are with the family of the victim and with the passengers who unfortunately had to see this.

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 1):
PLEASE be careful out there folks....rampers, mechanics, agents, fuelers.

I couldn't agree more.

deltagator

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 4):
"Continental Airlines Flight 1515 was preparing to take off for Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston when "a maintenance-related engine run-up of the right-hand engine".

Probably a poorly written article by someone who doesn't understand aviation or its terms completely. I believe what was happening was the mechanics were working on the engine as the passengers were boarding. They then did a run-up of the engine, although not at full power, and that is when he got sucked into the engine.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:47 am

It apparently happened at the gate. It is common for engines to be run at the gate prior to a flight if some sort of inspection is necessary. Reports still seem a bit unclear as to whether this was a mechanic or a ramper of some kind. If it was a ramper, another possibility would be that this happened during an airstart. Disconnecting the hose sure gets that adrenaline pumping.

[Edited 2006-01-16 23:52:52]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:59 am

We all get so complacent

I just can't fathom getting to that point; I just about wet myself every time I had to chock a running B1900D or DHC-8, especially when it was icy out!
E pur si muove -Galileo

Goose

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 7):
It apparently happened at the gate. It is common for engines to be run at the gate prior to a flight if some sort of inspection is necessary. Reports still seem a bit unclear as to whether this was a mechanic or a ramper of some kind. If it was a ramper, another possibility would be that this happened during an airstart. Disconnecting the hose is quite exhilarating.

Procedure at every airline I've worked is that, during an air start, the air start unit is on the #2 side and the #1 engine is started, after the gate is pulled back. The hose coupling on a 737 is underneath the aircraft and slightly on the #2 side.

Getting sucked in to the running angine during an airstart under such procedures are nearly impossible - unless the guy decides to go under the aircraft to the #1 side. This, of course, isn't safe nor smart.

I've disconnected the hose of an airstart hundreds of times. I can hardly describe it as "exhilarating."
"Talk to me, Goose..."

EA CO AS

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:00 am

When working for CO in PHX many moons ago, I saw "Friends Don't Let Friends Become FOD" signage in OPS... sad that such things can and do happen.  Sad
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:06 am

Quoting Goose (Reply 9):
Procedure at every airline I've worked is that, during an air start, the air start unit is on the #2 side and the #1 engine is started, after the gate is pulled back. The hose coupling on a 737 is underneath the aircraft and slightly on the #2 side.

I'm asking for another WN safety debate here, but at WN both engines are typically running before the hose is disconnected. I have done a couple where they gave us the OK to disconnect after the #1 engine was started, but typically, they wait until both are started. Proper procedure for us is to keep your right shoulder along the fuselage as you walk along the aircraft to disconnect the hose and then do the same with your left shoulder on the way back.

September11

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:11 am

Heartbreaking news.

Quote from article: the person killed was a mechanic who worked for one of the airline's suppliers.

[Edited 2006-01-17 00:18:06]
Airliners.net of the Future

dash8tech

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:11 am

Hard to say why or how it happened, but tragic nonetheless....

...even if there is three threads about it now!

MiCorazonAzul

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 11):

I'm asking for another WN safety debate here, but at WN both engines are typically running before the hose is disconnected. I have done a couple where they gave us the OK to disconnect after the #1 engine was started, but typically, they wait until both are started. Proper procedure for us is to keep your right shoulder along the fuselage as you walk along the aircraft to disconnect the hose and then do the same with your left shoulder on the way back.

That doesn't seem very safe if you ask me.

Procedure at Jetblue is to start #2 engine since the connection for the airstart hose is closer to engine #1. Once #2 is started, hose is disconnected and the plane is PUSHBACKED with only ONE engine running. Normal pushback procedure is followed and then #1 engine is started.

As for this terrible accident, it is a sad tragedy indeed. When I was in training, the instructor emphasized the danger of being sucked into an engine NUMEROUS times....it really freaked me out. The way I see it is, NEVER take anything you do lightly on the ramp. Regardless of whether you are a new hire or 10 years on the ramp, you MUST be careful. The ramp is a very dangerous place......

[Edited 2006-01-17 00:26:37]
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 14):
That doesn't seem very safe if you ask me.

Yeah, well all I can say at this point is, I only do what I'm taught.

dash8tech

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:35 am

Silver, have they had any incidents? If not, it seems like a safe enough practice. If you have to do it that way, it's harder to be complacent than if there's nothing other than "be careful" to guide you.

Talk about tricky situations...walking around the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, give that a try! I worked nights too, with the idea that if you can't see it, it won't scare you!

nonrevman

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:00 am

I remember the safety training we had when I first started on the ramp. There was a video about this very topic--being ingested into an engine. Hopefully very few people saw the actual event, because it is something that one will remember for a long time--it is quite graphic. We were told that the 737 in particular was the most dangerous of the airliners because the engines are very close to the ground and are on the same level as someone walking around the tarmac. Most of the other jets had the engines somewhat higher off the ground or they were mounted at the tail section (727 or MD-80). That is a terrible way to die, and my heart goes out to this guy's family and friends. As for the training the airlines give on safety, it is one of the most valuable things about the job--even more than the flight benefits.

planespotting

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:19 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 6):
Probably a poorly written article by someone who doesn't understand aviation or its terms completely. I believe what was happening was the mechanics were working on the engine as the passengers were boarding. They then did a run-up of the engine, although not at full power, and that is when he got sucked into the engine.

i hate to get picky here, but the article is not written poorly. To the common folk, preparing for take-off could mean anything from doing preflight checks outside of the airplane before pushback to taxiing the airplane to the runway.

In any case, this is a very sad event. I was at ELP a little over a year ago and I sat in the Continental gates inside the terminal to spot...so tragic
Do you like movies about gladiators?

HPLASOps

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting Goose (Reply 9):

It could be different depending on the aircraft (many times I've seen the airstart engine on the #1 side while starting #2) but as long as you're starting the engine opposide the side where the cart is, it's all okay.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

Type-Rated

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:38 am

"Continental is coordinating assistance for passengers who need help dealing with this tragedy," Kellner said"

I would assume this is for those who actually witnessed the event. And I imagine witnessing that would be a life changing event. Sympathies to the guy and his family....

BTW, I thought that Larry had moved on over a year ago....
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

flybynight

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:49 am

How much thrust would have to be produced to suck in a human? It seems the plane must have been revving unless the poor guy was literally right in front of the engine. Horrible.
Heia Norge!

ImperialEagle

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:51 am

Sad to hear of this tragedy. I recall back in the mid-sixties the folks at the old cargo area on the northeast side of ATL were re-positioning an Airlift DC-7CF-------with the front cargo door still open. An unsecured tractor wheel rolled out right into #2 prop and was promptly flung right into the poor guy directing the re-positioning. Dead on the spot--- traumatizing both victim and co-workers I'm sure.

That was a real problem in the days of the old "windmills" with all those blades whirling -------seems like news was always drifting around about some luckless person who ended up being chopped.

Yeah, the ramp can be a very dangerous place!
Please be safe! You are worth it!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

BH

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:52 am

I'm in 737 FAM class right now and this really helps reiterate what the instructors have been saying about the inlet and exhaust safety area's. This could happen to anyone, all its takes is one freak thing to happen to set things the wrong way.

Deepest sympathy to the family and everyone be careful out there.

airtran737

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:54 am

My question is, did the flight go out on time?

Seriously though, this is a completely avoidable accident and when the investigation is complete the responsibility will most likely fall upon this mechanic. This accident once again proves that common sense must be used and attention must be paid at all times on the flight line. I'm glad to see that CO is doing everything that they can to help out the employees and passengers who witnessed this.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

hmmmm...

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:19 pm

When I worked for an airline in 1988, I was warned of the 737 engine menace. I can't believe this type of thing is still happening.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

Amazonphil

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 24):

No...plane now has a scheduled engine change and aircraft out of service.
Pax were put on another plane.

amazonphil
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't goeing!

rdwelch

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:49 pm

PLEASE be careful out there folks....rampers, mechanics, agents, fuelers. We all get so complacent out there day after day, and in reality, we're just as susceptible to this sort of thing as anyone else. We almost had a ramper die on Friday after he fell from a K-Loader at A300 cargo door height. Had to use the paddles to get him back, and he's not in great shape.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of that mechanic.

I totally agree. Regardless of fault and circumstance, I have a heavy heart for the family. I impress upon my students and colleagues to no small degree the seriousness of the ingestion zone.

Gus
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

Desh

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:50 pm

My sympathies to all those involved - the mechanic - the family and the passengers who has to see it happen ....

I cant help but ask the question - especially since I read this thread minutes after seeing this photo

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vasco Garcia

How the hell is the revving up going to work with the 380 ? Has the plane actually been used at a gate yet ? I mean the engine looks big enough to suck in a Cessna - never mind a person!!!
"History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again." - Kurt Vonnegut

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:54 pm

Was that a serious question?? The flight was probably delayed in the first place due to the need for a run-up inspection. And a small bird being ingested usually results in an inspection/delay and that's if it goes back out at all. The tiniest of things being sucked in can cause plenty of damage to the sensitive engine. I can't imagine the condition of the engine after a human enters it.

Quoting Dash8tech (Reply 16):
Silver, have they had any incidents? If not, it seems like a safe enough practice. If you have to do it that way, it's harder to be complacent than if there's nothing other than "be careful" to guide you.

Not that I am aware of. And I agree.

I took this pic a few months ago at SAN. It just gives you an idea how close mechanics need to get sometimes to a running engine. Yes this engine is running.

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/8892/enginerunoriginal2sc.jpg

CO7e7

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:54 pm

Very sad indeed..
RIP to the CO employee
My thought and prayers to his friends and family.

wjcandee

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:00 pm

Well, it's a crime scene, so I would assume that the aircraft is impounded until the police, medical examiner, NTSB, OSHA, FAA, etc. are satisfied that it can leave. At a minimum, I would think that the a/c would require an engine change.

[Edited 2006-01-17 05:01:13]

rdwelch

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:02 pm

Silver, great photo! The job of a MX is hours of boredom with the spike of what you see in the pic. Thnx, Gus.
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

FlyHoss

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 31):
Well, it's a crime scene, so

Crime scene? No. Accident scene? Yes. So the aircraft will be held until the NTSB is done investigating.

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 29):
Very sad indeed..
RIP to the CO employee

Reported to NOT be a CO employee, but an "outside supplier."

In any case, it's a true tragedy and very sad indeed.
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

jumpseatflyer

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:05 pm

Very sad indeed.

Being a ramp worker, I always wonder how many people are killed by propellers, but it has never crossed my mind with concern to jet engines.

-Paul

AirRyan

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:07 pm

Interesting pic there of the mech underneath a running CFM-56 - when I was in the Marines and worked on helicopters we never wore any head gear onto the flight line save for a beanie in the winter - something that wasn't likely to fly off in the wind. I'll never forget the training we received in regards to working on the flightline and carrier deck with FOD and safety - definitely no place for complacency.

IAHERJ

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:11 pm

I would venture to guess that this mechanic was not wearing the required harness that would have prevented this under most conditions. I heard that the mechanics were exploring a possible oil leak and felt the need to run the engine up to 70+percent N1 to further investigate. The one mechanic was ingested into the engine and the rest is history. Very unfortunate. I feel for his family.

IAHERJ
Actually flown: EMB-120 EMB-145 B717 B737 B757 B767

EMBQA

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 31):
Well, it's a crime scene, so I would assume that the aircraft is impounded until the police, medical examiner, NTSB, OSHA, FAA, etc. are satisfied that it can leave.

A crime scene..? What crime was commited..? I'm not really sure if the NTSB would get involved in an accident like this, but I do see in there data base other ramp related fatal accidents. I'd think just local police and OSHA...

[Edited 2006-01-17 05:17:16]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

TPASXM787

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:26 pm

Quoting FlyHoss (Reply 33):

Wow dude thanks for the nitpick when we're discussing someone that was killed. It made the thread so much better. I especially like the caps on to emphasize your point, as if it's relevant.
This is the Last Stop.

boeingfever777

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:34 pm

I have questions:

1.) Does the engine not auto-shut down when a foreign object hit it?
2.) Article states: "He said the incident occurred during a maintance check in preparation for the plane's departure." why a maintence test so close to departure? Is this normal?
3.) Are the pilots liable for this in any way? Like demotions/re-testing etc...?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting Boeingfever777 (Reply 39):
why a maintence test so close to departure? Is this normal?

It depends. I've seen it many times for various reasons.

Type-Rated

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:53 pm

The NTSB will sure as hell get involved in this one as the incident resulted in a loss of life and damage to an aircraft while operating a flight as a Part 121 operator. Actually, the first two reasons are good enough for a NTSB investigation.

On the 10pm news they showed a video of the aircraft, it appeared to be on a taxiway with lots of emergency vehicles around it.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

PurdueAv2003

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:53 pm

Quoting Boeingfever777 (Reply 39):
I have questions:

1.) Does the engine not auto-shut down when a foreign object hit it?
2.) Article states: "He said the incident occurred during a maintance check in preparation for the plane's departure." why a maintence test so close to departure? Is this normal?
3.) Are the pilots liable for this in any way? Like demotions/re-testing etc...?

1.) A: No. If a plane flies through a flock of birds on take-off, affecting both engines, would you want the engines to auto-shut down? Absolutely not!
2.) A: It was probably a simple mtc procedure that required a check of Vibes, EGT, etc before signing off. On any through-flight maintenance, any way that you can reduce a delay benefits the company. So doing the run-up right before departure would not be that unusual.
3.) A: More than likely, this is a safety issue regarding the mechanics. The only way the pilots would be responsible would be if they throttled up before getting word from the mechanics that it was safe to do so. My guess is that the complacency bug claimed another victim.
Ptu = Ftu X Anet (not to be confused with a.net)

FlyHoss

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:17 pm

Quoting TPASXM787 (Reply 38):

Wow dude thanks for the nitpick when we're discussing someone that was killed. It made the thread so much better. I especially like the caps on to emphasize your point, as if it's relevant.

Yes, it is relevant. If you're family or friend of a CO mechanic, it's very relevant.

it's a true tragedy and very sad indeed.

Did you bother to read all of my reply?
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

fxramper

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:24 pm

Man I'm sorry to read about this. Can't imagine standing there on the ramp and watching one of my mates get sucked into an engine... Sad

wjcandee

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:43 pm

Crime scene? No. Accident scene? Yes.

Yeah, yeah. I used that argument in a case once: "I object to them calling it a crime scene because no crime was committed; the shooting was ruled justifiable."  sarcastic  That kind of hair-splitting isn't usually done at this early a stage, because the determination of whether a crime was committed isn't done now; it's done down the line. If somebody dies in an industrial "incident", the police damn well better treat it as a crime scene, and in my case they sure as heck did.

Nobody responding to that scene has any right to assume that it was an accident. Sure, it probably was. But law enforcement (and the medical examiner) can't make that judgment at the scene.

How could it be a crime? Remember those ramp people at a certain airline that were killed a few years ago, right around the time that they had blown the whistle on some thieving co-workers? Is that likely here? No. Does anybody in authority have the right to just assume that this was an accident? Nope.

Bruce

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:55 pm

A person can't get FULLY sucked in, right? I mean, there are the fan blades there. So you'd get pulled up against them? If so, there is very little space between the blades and less than millimeters on the outside diameter. Not big enough say for your arm to actually go inside?? the person's body wouldn't get ummmmm....... shredded, would it?  eyepopping 

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

MX757

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:01 pm

Horrible! Just horrible! My prayers go out to the family and friends of this mechanic and to all the people that had to witness such a horrific event.

I am always going to remember this when I'm working around 737 engines.
Is it broke...? Yeah I'll fix it.

OPNLguy

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:09 pm

Quoting Bruce (Reply 46):
the person's body wouldn't get ummmmm....... shredded, would it?

Many years ago, we had a 737-300 coming into a gate under its own power, and 15-20 feet out, the brakes failed. The crew went into reverse thrust, but not before the aircraft's #1 engine cowl contacted the jetway pedestal, and (at the high power setting) sucked a 55-gallon steel FOD barrel into the #1 engine. The top half of the FOD barrel no longer existed, and the bottom half was all mangled up. Pieces of barrel went through the sides of the engine cowling, as well as out the back end of both the fan and core.

I'll leave it to your imagination what would happen should you replace a steel barrel with a human being.

May God rest his soul...

KELPkid

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:23 pm

The word from the ELP media:

http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp?S=4368085

You could also try http://www.elpasotimes.com tomorrow morning, I'm sure they'll have something.

Not particularly great journalism back home, however...

RIP Mr. mechanic.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)