aukahkay

Baggage Claim At BOS Accessible To Public

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:19 am

Having arrived at BOS airport domestic terminal 2 years ago, I noticed that the baggage claim area at the domestic terminal is fully accessible to the public, who can just walk into the baggage claim area as they wish. I found it a very odd arrangement. Anyone can just go into the baggage claim area to steal suitcases of passengers who have yet to arrive at the baggage claim area. In airports in Asia, Australia and Europe, the baggage claim area is in the restricted area of the arrival hall.
Is this arrangement peculiar to all domestic terminals in the US?

[Edited 2006-01-17 17:39:04]

FLAIRPORT

RE: Baggage Claim At BOS Accessible To Public

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:24 am

every baggage claim in America is open to the public. The concourse is restricted.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

LHMark

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:27 am

Every DOMESTIC baggage claim. If you arrive on an International flight, your baggage claim will be behind customs and security.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

flypdx

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:27 am

Every airport I've been to, the baggage claim area has been fully available to the public. It isn't too common in the US to arrive at baggage claim AFTER your bags are out

airbazar

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:30 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 2):
Every DOMESTIC baggage claim.

Yup, it was one of the most astonishing realizations I had when I moved to this country, especially coming from Europe where you're bags are not safe even when they're locked and behind close doors  Smile The good news is you almost always arrive at the carrousel before your bags so there's little chance that someone will walk away with them.

aukahkay

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:39 am

Thanks for the information.

aussieindc

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:42 am

Quoting Aukahkay (Thread starter):
In airports in Asia, Australia and Europe, the baggage claim area is in the restricted area of the arrival hall.

May I ask which airport you were at in Australia? Even in Australia, within the domestic terminals, the public has full access to the luggage belts. Also, in Australia, the public can meet you at the gate unlike here in the US where you cannot gain access to the concourse unless you have a boarding pass.

goCOgo

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:04 am

As said, common in the US. In addition to your likely being there to spot anyone trying to take your baggage, I've also had my claim tickets randomly checked a few times.

This does lead to other problems, however. I saw a recent news story about homeless individuals taking public transportation to my local airport and sleeping in baggage claim on particuarly cold nights.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

apodino

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 2):
Every DOMESTIC baggage claim. If you arrive on an International flight, your baggage claim will be behind customs and security.

I know of one exception. JFK Terminal 7, no baggage claims are accessible to the public, not even the domestic ones. Basically you go into the claim area straight from the gate, claim your bags, then proceed outside the doors to the area where passengers can meet you. Two airlines that you would get this on are HP and UA, presumably US now as well.

ehho

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting Aussieindc (Reply 6):
saw a recent news story about homeless individuals taking public transportation to my local airport and sleeping in baggage claim on particuarly cold nights.

I gather you mean ORD terminal 2? Homeless people would fit there perfectly: that baggage claim area is such a mess!!
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

SkyexRamper

Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting Aukahkay (Thread starter):
I noticed that the baggage claim area at the domestic terminal is fully accessible to the public

Yeah...and?
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

zrs70

Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:54 am

There was a time when airlines/ airports checked every bag tag as passengers left the claim area to make sure it matched with the claim stub.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Lufthansa747

Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 11):
There was a time when airlines/ airports checked every bag tag as passengers left the claim area to make sure it matched with the claim stub.

Still happens in the Philippines at least. Such a PITA to find that tag if you don't know about it... I nowadays just put it in my pocket to get out quickly.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

chase

Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:11 am

I guess I just don't see the motivation in stealing someone's luggage. Sure, if it's near the holidays you might get a bag with presents in it. But generally people will carry the important/valuable stuff with them in the cabin, so all that's in the checked luggage is clothing. And 50% of the time it's dirty clothing. Nobody wants to steal my dirty underwear.

ckfred

Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:13 am

Back in the 70s, you had to show your claim check at ORD to leave the baggage claim. LAS used to do it. I think ATL did it during the Olympics.

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:52 am

Quoting EHHO (Reply 9):
I gather you mean ORD terminal 2? Homeless people would fit there perfectly: that baggage claim area is such a mess!!

??

Can y'all do construction in Europe without making a mess?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Lufthansa747

Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting Chase (Reply 13):
I guess I just don't see the motivation in stealing someone's luggage. Sure, if it's near the holidays you might get a bag with presents in it. But generally people will carry the important/valuable stuff with them in the cabin, so all that's in the checked luggage is clothing. And 50% of the time it's dirty clothing. Nobody wants to steal my dirty underwear.

I could see plenty of motivation in the Philippines... Hell, they'd probably have stolen our $5 plastic Christmas tree last time. After all, the customs clowns thought we should have paid $20 of duties for the damn thing.... Ok, enough of my ranting.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 14):
Back in the 70s, you had to show your claim check at ORD to leave the baggage claim. LAS used to do it. I think ATL did it during the Olympics.

I think at SJU you still do. Can someone verify?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

aukahkay

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:51 pm

I guess that luggage theft is uncommon in US airports. The situation will be very different in south-east asia.