bigdrewfl

Jetblue Adding Transcons To EWR!

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:51 pm

Hey guys,

Just figured I'd spill the beans before the Press Release does.

Remember the 3 slots B6 got from American at Long Beach?

Guess what they are putting them to use!

B6 is going to add EWR-LGB very soon!

In addition to bringing the E190 into EWR! (Very possible route is EWR-IAD)

The plan calls for B6 to get gate 17 from united. B6 just recently got gate 18 from them. B6 is also looking into adding EWR-STI route. (B6 doesn't really like the STI Flights because of all the baggage but its a very good route to serve because the demand is there)

and again these routes are to be announced very soon so for now consider these a very good rumor!

B6FA4ever

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:02 pm

VEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYY interesting...  Smile

that would be pretty cool. could you imagine what kind of fight CO would put up if we did add EWR-LGB and their EWR-LAX (well Los Angeles in general). do you think they'd pull another AA and add capacity to all of their L.A. markets to fight us on the LGB flights? who knows.

so how many gates do we have in EWR now? i havn't worked any of the EWR flights (since i'm LGB based) but just curious.

also on a side note i read in another thread (http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/2553636/) that we moved our gates in IAD from B50 and B48 down to the B20's. and not only that but we have 3 gates apparently. thought that was pretty cool too!

~B6FA4ever

LAXintl

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:23 pm

Great.. JBU is going to be an even stronger power house on transcons to NY.

I had heard there was somesort of announcement up coming later this week (Thursday if I recall) however I did not want to post as I had no further info. Now it might make more sense.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

jetbluefan1

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:30 pm

Wow! This should definitely be interesting. Did anyone see CO's earnings? They claimed that "B6 has invaded our Newark hub." I seem to disagree - 6 destinations isn't exactly an invasion, but adding LGB, IAD and STI to the grouping won't help their cause much.

I definitely think LGB will be successful as 1.) B6 will be the only airline to fly it, and; 2.) many people now prefer LGB to LAX. I was at the JetBlue terminal at JFK the other day and I still saw tons of Jersey license plates. It seems like B6 really wants them to use EWR instead of JFK...

BTW, when should we expect this announcement?

JetBluefan1

notdownnlocked

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:44 pm

Thank God JB is going to LGB now and will of course be lowering fares. They are going to change the way airlines do business on this route and all around the world. The cheaper the fare the better. I always go for the least common denominator. Cheaper is better. Thank God for JB. No more 4 day bus rides for me and my family!!!

Cory6188

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:47 pm

Quoting Notdownnlocked (Reply 4):
Thank God for JB.

Okay, people, it's an airline, not the second coming of Christ...

Jerseyguy

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:03 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 5):

Apparantly you've never had their Terra Blue Potato Chips  Big grin
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

Tornado82

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:44 pm

Exactly.

The cheaper the fare the better. I always go for the least common denominator. Cheaper is better. Thank God for JB. No more 4 day bus rides for me and my family!!!

Hold on now you just said the EXACT same thing, verbatim, in the Airtran thread. Somebody put way too much sugar in your kool-aid.

If your family took 4-day bus rides to save a few bucks they either need jobs, or to value their personal time better, sorry, but I don't think many people will disagree with that. I bet you all smelled well after that 4-day schlep on Greyhound as well.

jumbojet

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:27 am

I'm not a jetblue fan. Flew them once and could care less for the airline. Employees seemed inexperienced and the flight attendants didn't really seem to be to interested in their job. I would gadly pay more to fly a legacy from the east coast to LAX or LGB or anywhere then fly B6, that is the opinion I am entitled to. The only thing, again in my opinioin, that B6 has going for them is their new airbus narrow body planes. Wait a few more years for when those planes get older ( eventually the legacies will take delievery of newer, more comfortable fuel efficient planes) then we'll see how much people are revved up to fly B6

MSYtristar

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting Bigdrewfl (Thread starter):
Just figured I'd spill the beans before the Press Release does.

That's usually not a good thing to do, but to each his own.

wedgetail737

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:47 am

I guess OAK is not in the running yet.

CX747

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:56 am

Do they put something in the water of Jetblue employees or fans? While adding another flight is great, please, sit back and relax a little.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Cory6188

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:56 am

all around the world

Hardly. I seriously doubt that QF, SQ, BA, etc. give a crap what B6 does in the US domestic market.

Tornado82

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 12):
Hardly. I seriously doubt that QF, SQ, BA, etc. give a crap what B6 does in the US domestic market.

Exactly. Like I said, the guy said the EXACT same words on a thread about FL in CAK just minutes prior, the only difference was substituting airlines in the drivel.

The other question is where does it take 4-days by bus, CAK or EWR? No way you live "between" them and can choose between them... it's about an 8hr drive. Somehow I think he's just rambling on some koolaid rhetoric to praise LCC's no matter what. I personally have no beef with B6, actually I would look forward to trying them once from EWR if they went somewhere I wanted/had time to go (which ain't Florida), but those comments were waaaaaaay overboard.

BUT... on second thought. Maybe, just maybe, its some really good sarcasm poking fun at what the other LCC worshipers would say about it. If so, I commend the post, lol.

[Edited 2006-01-18 17:48:24]

travelin man

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:24 am

B6 would not be "only" competing with CO on the route, but with UA and AA as well. Currently AA has 2x/day on a 757 LAX-EWR, and UA has 2x/day (757/319) LAX-EWR.

My guess is (if B6 is successful on the route) that AA or UA would decide to consolidate LAX transcons to JFK before it would necessarily affect CO.

And I like B6, but in no way does it touch the service that UA offers on its PS planes from LAX-JFK.

ikramerica

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:31 am

Huh, seems you guys don't get toungue in cheek humor, even lame humor.

If EWR-LGB is competing for LAX traffic, then so is LAX-JFK competing for JFK traffic, so add to the list of "competition" on this route.

Nobody is going to consolidate routes off of EWR-LAX. If anything B6 might lose some JFK-LGB traffic with this move.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

777gk

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:36 am

Guess it's time we start breaking out the big guns. We have a handful more 757-300s dues this year as well as about 6 737-800s, and I don't think it will be too big of a surprise to see a capacity dump in the very near future on the LA markets!

lucianflyboy

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 7):
If your family took 4-day bus rides to save a few bucks they either need jobs

Dude, that was so NOT called for!

travelin man

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 15):
Nobody is going to consolidate routes off of EWR-LAX.

Why not? EWR and JFK are part of the NYC market. AA and UA used to have at least 4/day on the LAX-EWR route, and now they're down to 2/day. It's not a stretch to think that they would consolidate SoCal-NYC traffic to JFK. AA is pulling out of LGB altogether to concentrate on LAX.

Falcon84

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 7):
The cheaper the fare the better. I always go for the least common denominator. Cheaper is better. Thank God for JB. No more 4 day bus rides for me and my family!!!

Hold on now you just said the EXACT same thing, verbatim, in the Airtran thread. Somebody put way too much sugar in your kool-aid.

Methinks he's being more than a little sarcastic, imitating all those who drool everytime JetBlue and AirTran add a new route, and think it's the greatest thing since the invention of the jet engine.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

ikramerica

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 18):
Why not? EWR and JFK are part of the NYC market. AA and UA used to have at least 4/day on the LAX-EWR route, and now they're down to 2/day. It's not a stretch to think that they would consolidate SoCal-NYC traffic to JFK. AA is pulling out of LGB altogether to concentrate on LAX.

it is a stretch to think that aa or ua would stop serving ewr from their large lax stations. if ewr=jfk, why is b6 bothering with ewr again? oh, wait, because ewr?jfk. and unlike lgb, both ewr and jfk can both support transcons on the same airline.

Tornado82

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting Lucianflyboy (Reply 17):
Dude, that was so NOT called for!

The average American worker gets 2 weeks of discretionary vacation. 4 days to ride the bus TO the destination, 4 days to ride the bus BACK from the destination, means over HALF the vacation was spent on the bus. Hence, my statement. There are no domestic city pairs where the airfares are so expensive that it causes people to ride buses for 8 days when you think about what 8 days of the average person's salary is. Likewise... he's comparing NYC-Los Angeles Basin fares in THIS thread... the other was CAK which has PIT/CLE/CMH all within 2hr driving distance and LCC's all over... it would be different if he was going from GGW to BGR or something... then MAYBE the airfares would be that much.

travelin man

Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 20):
oh, wait, because ewr?jfk. and unlike lgb, both ewr and jfk can both support transcons on the same airline.

Then why have AA and UA been decreasing service on the route?

ikramerica

Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:18 am

decreasing frequency does not equal closing a station. further, they were responding to competition on the exact same route from CO, not a "similar" route. I doubt AA will go to 1x daily, or close the station, so 2x daily is where they will stay, unless they move to compete with B6 and add flights...

ewr-lgb does not equal jfk-lax. i grew up in new jersey and live in los angeles, and if you think the ewr-lgb = jfk-lax = ewr-lax = jfk-lgb, you don't get it.

And again, if ewr=jfk, why is B6 bothering with ewr again? Oh, wait, because they see it as it's own market...

B6FAN

Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:47 am

Have anyone here, hear anything on the B6's MCO-SJU route? maybe MCO-BQN or even MCO-PSE??

I heard some of it last year and this year is sounding even more...

[Edited 2006-01-18 20:02:10]
JetBlue Airways...

atcman

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:44 am

We've heard rumblings about B6 expansion at BUR. Any chance of BUR-EWR? There's also been mantion of IAD, BOS, and FLL. Anyone, anyone?

travelin man

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 23):
ewr-lgb does not equal jfk-lax. i grew up in new jersey and live in los angeles, and if you think the ewr-lgb = jfk-lax = ewr-lax = jfk-lgb, you don't get it.

I live in Los Angeles as well, and YES, I "get it". You apparently don't "get" the current state of the airline industry. Just because EWR and JFK are "separate markets" does not mean that airlines MUST serve both. If that is the case, why isn't CO starting JFK-LAX????

United has been ramping down EWR for a while, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop LAX-EWR altogether. Yes, EWR and JFK serve (somewhat) different markets. But again, it doesn't mean that it makes sense for airlines to serve them both from LAX.

Tornado82

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 19):
Methinks he's being more than a little sarcastic, imitating all those who drool everytime JetBlue and AirTran add a new route, and think it's the greatest thing since the invention of the jet engine.

I thought that MIGHT be a possibility too....

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 13):
BUT... on second thought. Maybe, just maybe, its some really good sarcasm poking fun at what the other LCC worshipers would say about it. If so, I commend the post, lol.

jetbluefan1

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:07 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 26):
United has been ramping down EWR for a while, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop LAX-EWR altogether. Yes, EWR and JFK serve (somewhat) different markets. But again, it doesn't mean that it makes sense for airlines to serve them both from LAX.

Actually, it does in NYC's case. JFK and EWR can be as much as 1.5 hours from each other, and maybe 45 minutes on a good day with no traffic whatsoever. Nevertheless, both EWR and JFK are still different markets. For example, I live on Long Island and would never consider EWR unless there's a huge price differencial. JFK-LAX in no way equals EWR-LAX.

JetBluefan1

travelin man

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:12 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 28):
Actually, it does in NYC's case. JFK and EWR can be as much as 1.5 hours from each other, and maybe 45 minutes on a good day with no traffic whatsoever. Nevertheless, both EWR and JFK are still different markets. For example, I live on Long Island and would never consider EWR unless there's a huge price differencial. JFK-LAX in no way equals EWR-LAX.

Then I'll repeat my question: why doesn't CO serve JFK-LAX, then?

letsgetwet

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:14 am

When does B6 announce their Q4 and 2005 financial results?

Falcon84

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 29):
Then I'll repeat my question: why doesn't CO serve JFKLAX, then?

Why serve a route already saturated with competitors? When you're hub-driven as CO is, it makes no sense to run a route that really bring no benefits to the carrier.

Plus CO can bring in it's own customers from Europe to connect to LAX, instead of letting another airline split the far. CO has a worldwide system at EWR, and it makes no sense to help feed other carriers to/from JFK when it can feed it's own system.
Work Right, Fly Hard

travelin man

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:29 am

[quote=Falcon84,reply=31]Why serve a route already saturated with competitors? When you're hub-driven as CO is, it makes no sense to run a route that really bring no benefits to the carrier.

That's my whole point with B6's entry into the EWR-LA market (and LGB and LAX are not nearly as separate as EWR and JFK.) IF B6 is successful in drawing passengers, why wouldn't AA or UA drop the route.

Given UA's recent history of de-emphasizing EWR (didn't someone say B6 actually got the gates from UA?), why is is such a stretch to say they could ultimately dump is altogether, if B6's entry on the route makes it too unprofitable?

jetbluefan1

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:47 am

Actually...my point sort of proved it. JFK and EWR are two different markets. Why would CO serve JFK-LAX? B6 started EWR service and was able to do so by stimulating demand with lower fares. CO coming into the JFK-LAX market would not have the same effect as the fares are pretty much as low as they're going to get.

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 32):
Given UA's recent history of de-emphasizing EWR (didn't someone say B6 actually got the gates from UA?), why is is such a stretch to say they could ultimately dump is altogether, if B6's entry on the route makes it too unprofitable?

I agree with you here. If B6 makes the route too unprofitable, then I would assume that smaller players on the route itself would drop out.

I really am not sure what's being argued here...EWR and JFK are two different markets. However, B6 has seen a large number of people from NJ making their way over to JFK to fly them (lower fares). Therefore, B6 is saving them the hassle and is launching more EWR flights. That's the bulk of the situation.

JetBluefan1

Humberside

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting Bigdrewfl (Thread starter):
In addition to bringing the E190 into EWR! (Very possible route is EWR-IAD)

What are the chances of EWR-BOS?

Quoting B6FAN (Reply 24):
Have anyone here, hear anything on the B6's MCO-SJU route?

Would FLL-SJU be a possible route as well. Jet Blue seem to be bigger at FLL than MCO
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

ScottB

Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:08 am

For the same reason that they don't fly ORD-LGA, even though they have a NYC-area hub at EWR. UA and AA fly LAX-EWR because both have a hub (well, more of a focus city for AA) at LAX. AA doesn't fly EWR-SFO because neither station is a focus for AA, but they do fly JFK-SFO.

No one says airlines "must" serve all markets, but AA flies LAX-EWR because of their Los Angeles market presence, not because of their Newark/New York market presence.

glideslope

Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting Jumbojet (Reply 8):
I'm not a jetblue fan. Flew them once and could care less for the airline. Employees seemed inexperienced and the flight attendants didn't really seem to be to interested in their job. I would gadly pay more to fly a legacy from the east coast to LAX or LGB or anywhere then fly B6, that is the opinion I am entitled to. The only thing, again in my opinioin, that B6 has going for them is their new airbus narrow body planes. Wait a few more years for when those planes get older ( eventually the legacies will take delievery of newer, more comfortable fuel efficient planes) then we'll see how much people are revved up to fly B6

We will be in Attends Undergarments by the time the legacies turn around. Until they rid themselves of unions nothing will change.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

jetblueatjfk

Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting Atcman (Reply 25):
We've heard rumblings about B6 expansion at BUR. Any chance of BUR-EWR? There's also been mantion of IAD, BOS, and FLL. Anyone, anyone?

I would think they will expand a lot out of BUR. They have 2 Gates in BUR and only operate 4 flights in and 4 flight's out to JFK a day. They could do a lot of things from BUR and I am sure it is not to far off.

Quoting Humberside (Reply 34):
What are the chances of EWR-BOS?

I don't know about that one for any short term goals but down the road, why not. I think they should probably just stay with the JFK-BOS route but maybe in like 2 years they can do that one.

Would FLL-SJU be a possible route as well. Jet Blue seem to be bigger at FLL than MCO

You are right about that, they have much more flights at FLL. Also B6 is in talks with BQN to get BQN-FLL and SJU-FLL. I can see those two routes coming on before MCO-SJU coming online though. But I think they have a lot of room to grow with their Caribbean routes. I can see them adding more cities to JFK and then connecting the best couple routes to FLL and possibly BOS. I do think BOS-SJU would be a great route and they probably have looked into that.

Anyway EWR transcons should be great, they can probably make lots off of them, but of course it will add more to the CO vs B6 which I hope we do not get into for a while! But what they can do since EWR-LGB will probably take a little away from JFK-LGB, they can get rid of one JFK-LGB flights and add a second daily LGB-FLL with that slot.

airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane 

MAH4546

Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:48 am

jetBlue's problem at FLL, and something that has been leaving them very frustrated, is that they don't have enough gate space as is, and really need more before they can embark on planned expansion of their FLL station.
a.

thegooddoctor

Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:08 am

Quoting CX747 (Reply 11):
Do they put something in the water of Jetblue employees or fans? While adding another flight is great, please, sit back and relax a little.

Yes, if the airline ever appears as though they might go chapter 7, JetBlue will immediately load all of their employees and fans onto their planes and fly to the closest african country. Here, they will all commit ceremonial suicide by drinking special "Jet-Blue Koolaid" while bowing before the almighty blue A320. The Hale-Bop comet will then swoop down from the sky and carry away all JetBlue fans and employees, taking them to the celestial realm of continuous IFE...
The GoodDoctor

JetBlueGuy2006

RE: Shhhhhhhhhh..... Jetblue Adding Transcons To EWR!

Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:12 am

Bigdrewfl-

Since you seem to have the lowdown, do you foresee in the future B6 in Michigan, like FNT or GRR?

I think they really should, and I know there is another thread about this, but I just wondered if you had any insight
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

flyguy1

RE: Jetblue Adding Transcons To EWR!

Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:52 am

Will JFK-IAD be announced as well?
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

We're Nuts

Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:09 am

This is what we call a "bluegasm".
Dear moderators: No.

CALMSP

Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:13 am

who knows................maybe there are some plans for JFK-LAX.............we were discussing the possibility of flying MDW-SFO/LAX when TZ announced their transcons..................

FLAIRPORT

Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:25 am

Quoting Thegooddoctor (Reply 39):
Yes, if the airline ever appears as though they might go chapter 7, JetBlue will immediately load all of their employees and fans onto their planes and fly to the closest african country. Here, they will all commit ceremonial suicide by drinking special "Jet-Blue Koolaid" while bowing before the almighty blue A320. The Hale-Bop comet will then swoop down from the sky and carry away all JetBlue fans and employees, taking them to the celestial realm of continuous IFE...

I'm there!

Is it all 3 slots going to LGB or are 2 others going elsewhere. I forsee JFK-IAD as well as maybe a BUR flight announced around jetBlue's 6th b-day in FEB.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

panam330

Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:30 am

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 42):
This is what we call a "bluegasm".

rotfl  Ever thought about e-mailing that as a name for one of their new 'Buses  Wink?

md90fan

Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 am

I wonder what CO will do if B6 expands bigtime at EWR? Create an LCC subsidary ala CO lite?  wink 
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

We're Nuts

Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:48 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 45):
Ever thought about e-mailing that as a name for one of their new 'Buses ?

I'm not sure it would go over too well with the flying Mormon.  Wink
Dear moderators: No.

Hannigan

Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting Flyguy1 (Reply 41):
Will JFK-IAD be announced as well?

God I hope so...
We got planes! We got gates! What the hell!

InTheSky74

Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:06 am

I heard that Jetblue will be starting a BUR-FLL flight this year....

Rob