skyhigh

Why Should I Close My Window Shutter?

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:09 pm

I have been a regular traveller over the last 10 years and I have noticed a recent trend of being told to push my window shutter down, even on day flights!
When I book my seat I always insist on a window seat, as I love not only to watch take off and landing but also some of the dramatic scenery mid flight.

I recently took a daytime flight from Shanghai to London, which had breathtaking scenery over Siberia but I was unable to see it, as I was told (not asked) to shut my window blind. I said that I was just taking in the scenery but was told to go and look out of the window on the rear exit door, which is about the size of a 50cent piece on an A340-600. Admittedly people were sleeping but the flight departed at 13:30 and arrived at 17:50. Surely it makes sense to stay awake for the flight so that you are able to sleep that night on arrival.

I am aware of light shining on PTV screens but a few window shades open doesn't make too much of a difference.

I wonder if it is a new tactic to shut everyone up and stop the need for any drink/snack/general runs from the crew?

kiwiandrew

RE: Why Should I Close My Window Shutter?

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:15 pm

I don't think it is a new tactic - a lot of airlines have been doing this for a long time ... a nasty new development is that I have read somewhere that the 787 will have electrically polarising windows .. although the blurb I read somewhere ( sorry , can't find it at the moment ) suggested that pax would have control I assume that the crew can override it and 'switch your window off' whether you like it or not

HT

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:15 pm

Quoting Skyhigh (Thread starter):
I was unable to see it, as I was told (not asked) to shut my window blind.

No need to comply. There´s no legal base to it.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Aeroflot777

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:24 pm

They ask you to close it in respect for your fellow passengers. If you don't want to sleep...don't. But on a long flight, many people prefer to sleep a little, even if it is during the day. Sleeping with the sun in your face isn't always pleasant, therefore they ask you to close the shutters. For take-off and landing, the shutters must be up so in the case of an emergency people are able to see what is going on outside. Unfortunately for us aviation geeks, we are sometimes forced to do so and give up an opportunity to look outside. But for most people flying is a way of getting from point A to point B, so they really care less what is outside.

Aeroflot777

zvezda

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:24 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 2):

No need to comply. There�s no legal base to it.

If it's a US-based airline, they may just call it "air rage" no matter how calmly you refuse and have you arrested upon landing.

David L

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:25 pm

That happened to me on a Sabena JFK-BRU flight. We were cruising near Boston at about 23:00 local. I was admiring the unusually clear view of the stars when an FA shut the blind in my face "because the sun will be coming up in a few hours and it might shine in someone's eyes"  sarcastic . The fact that I was in the last row on the right side of the aircraft and the sun rises in the east seemed too complicated for her but she made it clear there would be no argument. That was fairly typical of my experience with Sabena.

It happened to someone else here on a different airline and they complained afterwards. They got a reply confirming that the FA should have been more flexible.

But during the day, as long as the sun wasn't shining directly into someone's eyes? If people can't handle daylight, maybe they shouldn't go out in the daytime.  Smile

kiwiandrew

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:29 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 5):
That happened to me on a Sabena JFK-BRU flight.

I was told recently by a Belgian colleague ( so please don't flame me ) that SABENA stood for "Such A Bad Experience - Never Again!" - I know that isn't really what it stood for ( although I guess the "Never Again" is certainly valid since it bellied up in 2001 )

noelg

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:39 pm

I hate it when they try to make you close your window blind. They tried it with me on MH - all I do is snuggle up to the window with the blind half open, and put the blanket over my head and the window so that it blocks out any light.

That way nobody gets disturbed, and I can sleep in quiet, but then when I wake I open my eyes to a glorious view from 37,000ft!

It makes it so much easier to sleep with the blanket over your head, I may look like an idiot but at least there are no reading lights or disturbances to wake me that way.

Cheers,
Noel

kiwiandrew

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:43 pm

Quoting Noelg (Reply 7):
It makes it so much easier to sleep with the blanket over your head, I may look like an idiot but at least there are no reading lights or disturbances to wake me that way.

I expect Mrs Noelg to take at least one inflight photo of you like this for your forthcoming trip report  Wink

hotje

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:52 pm

The asked me too on several flights, most of them KL, but recently also on CX. And off course as a decent traveller I oblige for about 10 minutes.

The CX flight from HKG to AMS was an all nighter (mid winter, leaving at midnight an arriving in AMS b4 the sun comes up, so I really did not see the point in closing it at all. I tried to explain but somehow the FA failed to see the logic of it.

PM

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:57 pm

I was told (not asked) to shut my window

It's happened to me too. I hate it.

I wonder if it is a new tactic to shut everyone up and stop the need for any drink/snack/general runs from the crew?

I've suspected that too...

cxsjr

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:12 pm

What really pi**es me off is when you get stuck at the back of a line for check in and when you finally reach the desk, there's no window seats left.
Thankfully this normally only happen occasionally and on short haul flights as I pre-reserve my seats long haul.

You board the plane only to find that the person at the window seat has shut their blind, goes to sleep and doesn't look out the window once. This happened to me a while back, I asked if we could swap seats but I was refused, down went the blind and that was it for the next 2 hours!! Grrrrrrr!!
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

ManchesterMAN

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:32 pm

This really frustrates me.

First of all on a day east-west flight people should be awake. If they sleep on the flight they will struggle to sleep when they get to bed at home/hotel. People who compain about "jet lag" only have themselves to blame for sleeping on the flight. Therefore I agree that it is unreasonable for a FA to ask/tell you to close the blind.

On a night flight it is dark hence no need to close the blind either. They say it is for when the sun comes up. But I for one think one of the best sights in the world is watching the sun rise at 37,000 ft. If people took some time to appreciate the beauty of our world then it would be a much better place. Personally I like Ryanair's idea of getting rid of window shades altogether.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

lexer

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:35 pm

We're all flying nuts over here and surely everyone here feels that looking out the window is a natural right, acquired at birth.

But it is true that even one open window illuminates almost the entire cabin, making it harder to sleep or watch a movie for others. I usually take a few peeks during a flight when told to close it, but I do understand airlines trying to keep 'm closed generally..

kiwiandrew

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:39 pm

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 12):
First of all on a day east-west flight people should be awake. If they sleep on the flight they will struggle to sleep when they get to bed at home/hotel.

while I agree that it is common sense to stay awake on this sort of flight where possible I don't know if you can really state categorically that they 'should be awake' ... you have no idea how many previous connections they might have made ( a pax on a daylight LHR-JFK may have had a horrendously turbulent overnight flight from SIN or BKK with no sleep ) .. or how far they have come to get to the airport ( maybe they got up at 2:00 in the morning to drive from another city ) if they can sleep good luck to them and the struggle to sleep at the other end is their problem .

cgnnrw

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:50 pm

What I'm missing here is an answer from a crew member....anyone brave enough to defend this position?

It happend to me as well.

What really pissed me off was the female FAjust told me it had to be shut ...end of debate. So after about 10 minutes I opened it again and sure enough she came flying out of the gallery and gave me the chewing out as if I've just commited a mortal sin. I looked at her said "say the magic word..." She wasn't amused so she got the chief FA and she too warned me not argue or else.....

In the end I "gave in" and kept the damn blind down.
A330 man.

skyhigh

Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:04 pm

What i forgot to add is that most airlines hand out eye masks, even in economy, so why bother handing them out if we have to shut the shade!!  banghead 

ehho

Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:08 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 2):

Oh no? Apart from what our friend Zvezda mentioned about US tactics, there simply IS legal basis, because on every flight you are obliged to follow FA orders. Period.

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 6):
that SABENA stood for "Such A Bad Experience - Never Again!"

In Holland we like to say "Seks Aan Boord En Niets Anders" (onboard sex and nothing else)... Oops, I'm being abusive I guess!

Generally speaking, it certainly is very nasty, and it's also quite a recent thing. I remember flying transcons on AA as a kid with my dad in the early 90s, and the max they did then was to ask either port or starboard shutters to remain closed, depending on which way you went, and where the sun was resp.
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 2):

Get the right crew, and you might be "disobeying a flight crew member"....

Quoting Skyhigh (Reply 16):
What i forgot to add is that most airlines hand out eye masks, even in economy, so why bother handing them out if we have to shut the shade!!

Flown any US airlines lately?  biggrin 
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

miamiair

Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:17 pm

Let some flight attendants offer their comments. There is no legal basis, unless there is a gremlin sitting on the pylon pulling it apart and they don't want to panic anybody. You would not be interfering with the cabin crew's duties by having your window shade open. If they do get their knickers in a bunch, simply ask for the final authority on the matter; and that is whoever is in the left seat.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

lxlgu

Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:21 pm

Travelled LH business class earlier this month FRA JNB
This is an overnight arriving JNB 1000am
The crew asked all pax in the front cabin to turn down their blinds after dinner
The cabin was in darkness until 0800-dawn is approx 0430 on this route

They explained there were many pax who had connected ex Tokyo.
Strange-most pax did not wear eyeshades.

At least had 2 hours of African bush and magnificent view of Kariba Dam

Cheers!
Tony

David L

Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:54 pm

OK, I think we all understand that people don't want the sun in their eyes but most FAs I've encountered are able to employ a third brain cell to decide the merits of each case. I mean, an open blind some 5 or 6 hours before sun-up? Come on!

Quoting HT (Reply 2):

As mentioned above, it's not difficult for them to turn it into an air-rage incident, especially that stroppy lot at Sabena.

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 6):
"Such A Bad Experience - Never Again!"

How appropriate, I wished I'd worked that out after my first flight with them.  Smile

Quoting EHHO (Reply 17):
"Seks Aan Boord En Niets Anders"

At least that would have made my flights with them almost bearable.  Sad

VEEREF

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:50 pm

Flew LH from FRA-MIA. All daylight hours. I'd say very few people closed their shades. As far as PTVs go what happens as soon as everyone closes their window shades? About 100 overhead lights go on! What's the difference? Glare is glare. Really unless the sun is low on the horizon and is shining directly into the window it doesn't make any difference at all. I can still see my PTV screen with my window open. Just really depends on the crew that day.
As an airline pilot as well as enthusiast I can say go ahead leave that shade open if you want, that does NOT constitute disobeying a flight crew. It does NOT affect the safety of the pax or aircraft. That is preposterous. If they can't tell the guy next to me to quit farting and stinking up the place then why should they tell me what to do with my window shade?
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

airbazar

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:08 am

I'm all for shutting the window shades on certain daylight flights. I like looking out the window as much as anyone else but I also understand that most people on the plane may actually be trying to get some rest. Some people may have had to wake up way earlier than me or may be connecting from another long haul flight. Besides, you don't need the whole window shade open in order to see out of it. I find that opening it just a few inches if the Sun is not on my side of the plane, is a good compromise and never had any problems doing it. Other than that it's the FA's responsibility to make everyone as comfortable as possible on the flight and if that means sacrificing a few window seats than be it.

What I do hate is people who buy a window seat and shut the shades down just because they don't like looking outside, while I couldn't get myself a window seat. Now that is rude.

joness0154

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 19):
Let some flight attendants offer their comments. There is no legal basis, unless there is a gremlin sitting on the pylon pulling it apart and they don't want to panic anybody. You would not be interfering with the cabin crew's duties by having your window shade open. If they do get their knickers in a bunch, simply ask for the final authority on the matter; and that is whoever is in the left seat.

Yes, there is a legal basis.

You are not complying with a crew members instructions.

You guys that don't close your windows probably bitch when the person in front of you reclines their seat too, don't ya?
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

malaysia

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:10 am

Quoting Noelg (Reply 7):
I hate it when they try to make you close your window blind. They tried it with me on MH - all I do is snuggle up to the window with the blind half open, and put the blanket over my head and the window so that it blocks out any light.

Actually the blanket to the window also works very well in night time, cause it blocks out all the reading light reflections and you get a real nice clear view of the stars and landscape as well.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

groobster

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:12 am

There's nothing better than looking out of the window at 36,000ft in the middle of the night.

I find it increadibly relaxing.
Next flights: Nothing

Tbird

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:26 am

This is an interesting trend that really annoys me. It happened to me on an American flight to Alaska in August. The FA's "Told" everyone they need to shut their window shades. Like hell was I shutting my window shade, the views were amazing. The FA did politely ask me to shut it but I politely responded that I sit on the window for a reason and that I prefer the shade open that it makes me more comfortable. She got a bit of an attitude then and said I should be more respectful to my other passengers. I asked her if having the window shade open posed a safety concern to the passengers, she said no I said then it stays open. If you paid for a window seat then its your option whether the shade stays open or now, simple as that.

fbgdavidson

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting Lexer (Reply 13):
We're all flying nuts over here and surely everyone here feels that looking out the window is a natural right, acquired at birth.

But it is true that even one open window illuminates almost the entire cabin, making it harder to sleep or watch a movie for others. I usually take a few peeks during a flight when told to close it, but I do understand airlines trying to keep 'm closed generally..

I always feel like a bit of a naughty schoolboy lifting the blind when the rest of the cabin has them down. IME transatlantic dayflights people tend to have a sleep sometime after the meal service has ended. Makes sense if you are heading westbound and you need to stay up another five-eight hours when you arrive.

Because of the arrangement of seats in Y it is possible to pretty much light up the whole cabin with just one blind open. Thinking of BA Club World here the window seats intrude slightly less on the cabin if you put the privacy screen up. Annoyingly on my last flight LHR-IAD I only managed to get an aisle seat at check-in, with just one seat between me and the window. The woman scowled at me a number of times before we took off and as soon as the wheels were about 3ft off the ground pulled down all three window shades, all the way to Washington!

Noelg seems to have the right idea with the blanket that allows a compromise between both parties  thumbsup 
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

joshdean

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:40 am

Has anyone had any experience of BA enforcing this?

flyingbabydoc

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Groobster (Reply 26):
There's nothing better than looking out of the window at 36,000ft in the middle of the night.

I find it increadibly relaxing.

I second that. What I usually do is I tell the FA that I have a severe case of claustrophobia, and the only thing preventing me from having a major breakdown during the flight is to have some view of the outside at all times. Not only I have had no problems in all airlines I have flown (LH, QF, RG, UA, etc.) but also I usually get extra attention from the concerned FAs..

I know, it is vicious. But it works...  devil 

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

incitatus

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting VEEREF (Reply 22):
If they can't tell the guy next to me to quit farting and stinking up the place then why should they tell me what to do with my window shade?

Very typical of the majority of posters in this thread. I really like to watch the scenery. But if somebody is trying to sleep close to me (including you, and hey like anybody else you don't fart French perfume) and most blinds are down, nobody has to ask me to lower it. This is basic consideration with other human beings. People on long flights could be in ANY time zone, everybody deserves a relaxing environment. Dismissing your own rudeness by pointing to somebody else's behavior is lousy.
Stop pop up ads

joshdean

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 30):
I know, it is vicious. But it works...

Excellent. I shall use that. Thanks!

flyingbabydoc

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:48 am

Quoting Joshdean (Reply 32):
Excellent. I shall use that. Thanks!

Anytime. I just wonder if some epidemiologist will notice the sudden increase in the number of claustrophobic patients travelling on window seats!

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

DLKAPA

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:51 am

Quoting HT (Reply 2):
-HT

"non-compliance of directives issued by the Cabin Crew is a Federal Offense." - is a phrase you hear often during the safety announcement on U.S. domestic flights.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

deaphen

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting Joshdean (Reply 29):

Yes i am exprienced BA enforcing this. When i flew BA DEL-LHR, the flight takes off at about 2 am and reaches when the sun is up, and even thought it is night at take off.. rather after take off, we were asked to close the shades beacuse of the rising sun en route.
Quite silly if you ask me, however, i often put up half my shade and leaveit like that and try to not look at the F/A when they come around!
Havent had a F/A tell me to close it despite leaving it open in SQ, BA and CX.
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

miamiair

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 24):
You are not complying with a crew members instructions.

So if I am picking my nose and an FA tells me to stop, I am not complying with orders? Give me a break. There is no reg that says the shades have to be closed.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

su

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:18 am

This is really a problem when it's happening in first or business class. I am one of those passengers that like to enjoy every minute of the flight and plus staying awake most of the times help to overcome jetlag. But boy I had couple of bed incidents when I actually had to ask for the purser after flying business class or first class and F/A insisted on closing the shutter. Likely my window always stayed open.

If someone is bothered by the sun and is not able to sleep, that person can always buy eye shades for $5. Every Airport news stand sells them.
"Life is too short to take it serious..."

TheSorcerer

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:26 am

I've never been asked to close my blinds. Then again i don't fly during night and i've only been on one long haul flight so far.

Quoting Tbird (Reply 27):
The FA did politely ask me to shut it but I politely responded that I sit on the window for a reason and that I prefer the shade open that it makes me more comfortable. She got a bit of an attitude then and said I should be more respectful to my other passengers. I asked her if having the window shade open posed a safety concern to the passengers, she said no I said then it stays open

bigthumbsup 
Would threatening the F/A with a formal complaint make them go away?
thanks
Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

hiflyer

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:32 am

Interesting..I have also felt the 'guilt' while enjoying the great views of the US desert southwest during the late afternoon as the sun sinks and the landscape changes colors right in front of you as I head east. I am sure there are others onboard who had just come from the Far East over hours of water who just want to sleep...too bad.... they are missing the incredible view of nature.

su

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:41 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 38):
Would threatening the F/A with a formal complaint make them go away

On my flight from FRA to SFO on UA in first class after the meal svs F/A went around and closed all the shutters. I told her she can close all of mine but one (in united first you have about 3-4 windows) and she said that it's their policy to close all the shutter (i knew she was just making that up). After I told her no she said that FAA regulations are to close them (also not true) and also passengers would like to sleep and etc. She pissed me off so bad that I asked for a purser and end up with all my three windows open.
"Life is too short to take it serious..."

David L

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting Joshdean (Reply 29):

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 35):
Yes i am exprienced BA enforcing this.

I've never had such a problem and I fly BA most of the time. I got a great view of the Northern Lights on the way back from Chicago this year. An FA even asked what was so interesting and, when I told her, she went back to have a look for herself. Mind you, they'd never stopped me taking photos during landing before until one did this year. I guess you just get the occasional inflexible FA every now and then (except at Sabena  Smile).

I tell the FA that I have a severe case of claustrophobia

Hmm...  Smile

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 31):
But if somebody is trying to sleep close to me

And if you're in the last row, on the other side from the sun, 5 hours before it rises, sitting in a 2-4-2 arrangement next to someone you're travelling with? I find it extremely patronising for an FA not to trust me with the simple task of closing the shade before I go to sleep on a night flight. If I failed then I wouldn't find it unreasonable if she woke me up and aked me to close it.

I must say, I've never experienced compulsory closing of the shades during the day on any flight, except during a movie from a projector. Maybe I just don't understand how anyone can have difficulty sleeping with a bit of diffuse daylight - direct sunlight's another matter.

UALDUDE

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:53 am

This always pisses me off when I am sitting in back and they say "because the sun is going to come up", it's not like the sun jumps up into the sky in a 5 second period, it is a gradual process. If it is night I want my shade open! The flight attendants just don't want people waking up because they might have to actually work when someone wants a glass of water.

ChiGB1973

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:57 am

To be honest, that is one of my favorite parts of flying, looking out the window. If someone wants to sleep so bad, they should have A) asked for a window seat to be in control or brought eye shades. I try to be polite and pull it part of the way down.

As far as the flight crew making me close the window. I guess I would comply, then raise it right back up when she/he walked away. They tell you to shut it again, then open it when they leave. I don't know about other countries, but there is not a regulation in the U.S. Having the police meet the plane would be pleasurable. First of all, to be charged, the flight crew and witnesses would have to show up to court, which they are not interested in doing. Second, what is the charge. Non-compliance with a non-existence law/rule? If you get unruly, that is one thing, but if you keep your cool, there is nothing they can do. Just depends on how bad you want to look out the window.

M

flyguy595

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:05 am

The best time is when you take off early in the morning and its still dark but when you climb about 10,000 the cabin suddenly lights up with sunshine making it a great morning flight esspecially if theres bad weather in the area and you climb above it. All the windows have to be open for that.

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 36):
So if I am picking my nose and an FA tells me to stop, I am not complying with orders? Give me a break. There is no reg that says the shades have to be closed.

I seem to remember an instance not to long ago where a plane full of pasengers landed at an air force base and all the windows were required to be closed can anyone else add to this? I think that would be a situation that needed it

Quoting SU (Reply 40):
She pissed me off so bad that I asked for a purser and end up with all my three windows open.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Thats great Ive had that problem on UA first too from DEN-SEA in the morning

Flying Belgian

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:16 am

My experience/explanation as FA. After the lunch service/duty free, I use to ask to lower the window shade in order to enable the fellow pax to see the film correctly on the main/secondary screens.
Moreover, the atmosphere is quitter and better for the people who want to sleep... And many of our pax WANT to sleep quietly (connections from the US !!).

BUT, if a pax asks me not to shut his window shade because he wants to enjoy the daylight or the landscape, no problem then !!! I ask but I don't urge !!! All in all, 85-90% of the passengers will close their shades.

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

David L

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting Flying Belgian (Reply 45):

That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

aer lingus

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:28 am

It happened to me before.
From all of my flights. I remembered I was told by a F/A to close my shutter before take-off during a AF flight from CDG-HKG in 1997. It was the first time that a F/A told me to close the shutter. I thought that all shutters must be opened during take-off and landing for safety reasons. While we were about 5 hours before landing. I opened the shutter 1/2 way to look outside because I havn't looked out the window before we took off. The same F/A came over and asked me to close the shutter again. When I looked around there was about 6 shutters open around the cabin. So why was I told to close the shutter during take-off at night when there is hardly any light around? I don't know.
 confused 
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

aloges

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 1):
I have read somewhere that the 787 will have electrically polarising windows

IIRC, I read (here) these windows could be "dimmed", i.e. adjusted to various levels of transparency. That way, you'd be able to look outside without "polluting" the cabin with too much of that eeeeevil light.  Wink
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:51 am

Ok, as an ex flight attendant, maybe I can shed some light on this...Hahaha, get it? Big grin

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 4):
If it's a US-based airline, they may just call it "air rage" no matter how calmly you refuse and have you arrested upon landing.

That's a load of bullshit, and a blanket stereotype. Don't speak about things you don't know.

Quoting PM (Reply 10):

I've suspected that too...

Quoting UALDUDE (Reply 42):
The flight attendants just don't want people waking up because they might have to actually work when someone wants a glass of water.

Again, not true. That's your perception, but as many times as I've flown, and with as many FA's that I'm friends with, it's simply not the case. We all get plenty of privacy and peace in crew rest, so when we're "on" it doesn't really bother any of us to get someone a drink. That's what we're there for.

Now, should I go on about when passengers WAKE US UP in our crew rest seats to get them a drink of water?  Wink

Quoting Cgnnrw (Reply 15):
What I'm missing here is an answer from a crew member....anyone brave enough to defend this position?

Yes, I'll take the heat. It's called common courtesy for those around you, and it's something people lack to the point where sometimes it needs to be imposed upon you.

Let's think rationally. We are all aviation fans, we are into things like looking at the wings and the scenery for an 8 hours flight. We are not normal people. 99.9% of the passengers want to sleep. We tend to forget that.

Now, that said, not there is no legal grounds for it. There is no specific FAR in the US that forbids it, tho it COULD fall into the category of not listening to the flight crew, but it's not endangering anyone, so it's not really enforceable.

Personally, when I'd ask over the mic to lower the shades, I think only a couple people in a thousand don't. I've never gotten into any arguments about it, and if I did, it's really not worth my trouble unless it pisses other people off to the point where an argument starts, then it comes down.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 18):
Flown any US airlines lately?

Yes, and eye masks are readily available, just ask. The blanket trick is great too. I know many people that do that, and I wouldn't have a problem with it, don't think any FA would really.

I second that. What I usually do is I tell the FA that I have a severe case of claustrophobia, and the only thing preventing me from having a major breakdown during the flight is to have some view of the outside at all times. Not only I have had no problems in all airlines I have flown (LH, QF, RG, UA, etc.) but also I usually get extra attention from the concerned FAs..

That's actually not a bad idea, because they can't deny a "passenger with special needs"...but I'd go with using the blanket to cover it up, that way you don't have to lie.

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 36):

That's true, but remember, there are societal norms...

B