manchesteruk

Airports With Same Name

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:00 am

are there alot of airports with the same name?

i can think of manchester MAN and manchester new hampshire, or does anyone know of any aircraft of any type which has gone to a wrong airport with the same name as the right one ?

lazyshaun

RE: Airports With Same Name

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:05 am

Not quite the same thing, but I remember something about an a/c landing at a military base just outside the airport it was suposed to land at and causing quite a mess, when it was stopped on the runway by a load of troops! What a plonker pilot! I think it was somewhere in the United Arab Emirates, but Im not certain.
I came. I saw. I conquered

ltbewr

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:11 am

There is sometimes confusion with Newark, NJ airport (EWR) and New York City as Newark and New York sound very much alike. EWR is about 16 miles (25 kms) from New York City.
There have been cases where someone bought a ticket for a city that had the same name as another, like London, Ontario, Canada and London, England. Of course you would have to be pretty dumb in geography not to realize the difference.

N328KF

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:47 am

There are many city names in the U.S. that share the same name, some of which are large enough to have air service:

• Madison (20)
  • Lexington (17)
  • Manchester (17)
  • Springfield (17)
  • Washington (17)
  • Albany
  • Bloomington
  • Rochester

In addition, Germany has two Frankfurts (-am-Main and -am-Oder).

[Edited 2006-01-19 16:49:22]
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

cornish

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:59 am

Newcastle in the UK and Newcastle in Australia.

San Jose in the US and in Costa Rica.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

stlgph

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting Manchesteruk (Thread starter):
does anyone know of any aircraft of any type which has gone to a wrong airport with the same name as the right one ?

one step further on that question, does anybody who worked Airport Customer Service, Ticketing, or as a Flight Attendant have experience with someone that got mixed up going between say Springfield, Illinois and Springfield, Missouri?

Just curious. I could see that happening at the old TWA St. Louis hub, if anywhere, given the amount of flights run from St. Louis into each city.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

KBOS

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:16 am

Well, there are two Logan International Airports...

One in Boston, MA.

the other in Billings, MT.

http://www.massport.com/logan/default.aspx

http://www.flybillings.com/
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

felixZRH

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:18 am

Zurich Airport ZRH is run by a company called Unique. And for some while they called the airport unique airport.
Then there was a story that a tourist wanted to take a taxi to the airport (which is 15 km out of town) and said to the driver he wanted to go to unique airport. Now the taxi driver understood Munich airport MUC (some 300 km away). And the tourist complained only after the more than an hour of driving and after crossing the border to Germany.
The story goes that he missed his flight. But I don't what happened with the taxi driver.
And it's only a story. So no source and no reliability.

I know it's not the same name but very similar.

Greets
Felix

jfidler

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:35 am

San Jose is probably one I'd say causes the most confusion, because there are airports with flights to both San Jose's. I was in such an airport a few years ago (I think it was IAD) and the flights were listed as "San Jose, CR" and "San Jose, Calif" on the departures board to reduce confusion.

AirScoot

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:07 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 5):
one step further on that question, does anybody who worked Airport Customer Service, Ticketing, or as a Flight Attendant have experience with someone that got mixed up going between say Springfield, Illinois and Springfield, Missouri?

This used to happen to us all the time. It's one of the first things we tried to train out of people.

Another very popular one at the wholesaler was Dallas vs Dulles (DFW/IAD). KE's reservation system had a message that went out at point of sale that said something along the lines of "VERIFY WITH PAX DALLAS OR WASHINGTON".

Quoting Manchesteruk (Thread starter):
does anyone know of any aircraft of any type which has gone to a wrong airport with the same name as the right one ?

I think this might be rather rare because of the distances involved and flightplans that need to be filed.

I do know of one or two flights that have landed at the wrong local airport in a destination city because of pilot confusion though  Wink

bohica

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:32 am

The airline I used to work for flew to Charleston, WV (CRW) and Charleston, SC (CHS). Needless to say there were a few passengers who ended up in the wrong place.  Smile

chase

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:40 am

There was a well-known story a while back about a British couple who went to Sidney (Ontario?), Canada when they had intended to go to Sydney, Australia. But that was a case of pax being stupid, not the pilot.
And of course the story where the in-flight display map showed the aircraft going to the wrong airport somewhere in Europe so the pax knew something was up but the crew didn't until they were below the cloud ceiling, but that was a technological glitch, not a naming similarity.

ScottB

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:45 am

Atlanta has flights to three different Columbuses -- CMH (Ohio), GTR (Mississippi), and CSG (Georgia). Plus you've got CLT and CHO, CHS and CRW, MHT and MAN, PWM and PDX, SJC and SJO, all leaving from ATL.

Some other pairs (some mentioned above):
BHM and BHX
AHN and ATH
MEL and MLB
MRY and MTY (well, there's one fewer R's in the one in Califonia)
ROC and RST
ALB and ABY

2travel2know

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:01 am

If we're talking about Airports which share the same name with other airports, then there are a couple of Airports in Latinamerica named Simón Bólivar; aslo there's JFK in New York and LPB - which is supposed to be called John F Kennedy too.
Another airport name that sounds the same would be MGA - still reffered as Mercedes by some and Ponce, Puerto Rico (?) - Mercedita.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

Coronado990

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 5):

I can't imagine how confusing it was back in the mid-90's when AA Eagle actually flew from ORD to Springfield, MO (SGF) via Springfield, IL (SPI)! It was the only case I could find where there was a flight between two cities with the same name.

If there is somewhere else out there on planet Earth where a flight serves two cities non-stop with the same name. I would like to know about it.
Uncle SAN at your service!

manchesteruk

Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:29 am

a little off the topic but i remember a light aircraft landed on manchesters second runway before it opened officially, a little stupid dont u think!

SJCRRPAX

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:06 am

Quoting Jfidler (Reply 8):
San Jose is probably one I'd say causes the most confusion, because there are airports with flights to both San Jose's. I was in such an airport a few years ago (I think it was IAD) and the flights were listed as "San Jose, CR" and "San Jose, Calif" on the departures board to reduce confusion.

So I finish my business trip in Toronto a couple of days early and call America West to change my flight from Thursday to Tuesday. The AW ticket agent, takes about 5 minutes to re-book me on the flight. When he told me the details of the flight I asked him why I would arrive in SJC at 9:00 PM when the originial Thursday flight arrived at 1:00 PM. I asked him "Is there a long stop over in PHX?" He says, "no, everythings fine just a time zone change." I figure he is real stupid, since a time zone change should mean I'd be home earlier. When I finally get internet access I find he booked me on a flight to Costa Rica. I thought about it for awhile, trying to decide if I wanted a free flight to Costa Rica, and decided no, so I called AW up to change to proper flight and the next agent was shocked that the other guy couldn't read airport codes properly. AW waived the $100 fee for changing a flight, which btw WN never charges me.

A couple of times I remember in the SJ Mercury News seeing a couple of tourist on the front page who thought they had flown to Costa Rica. I guess the beach at Santa Cruz beach must have clued them into the mistake, or maybe all the people speaking english!

bohica

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:20 am

Another pair of airports which sound similar on P.A. announcements is Newark (EWR) and Newburgh (SWF). Luckily they are fairly close to each other.

KJFK31L

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:23 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 2):
There is sometimes confusion with Newark, NJ airport (EWR) and New York City as Newark and New York sound very much alike. EWR is about 16 miles (25 kms) from New York City.

Newark is technically a New York airport so I see your point. Nevertheless, one can never just say New York and imply JFK or LGA because EWR is part of the Port Authority. It is a New York Airport.

Matt
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going.

vegasplanes

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:28 am

How about the old story about when Pan Am bought National, if you asked for Melbourne and had a Pan Am res agent, you ended up in Australia, if you had a National res agent you ended up in Florida.

KJFK31L

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting Manchesteruk (Reply 15):
a little off the topic but i remember a light aircraft landed on manchesters second runway before it opened officially, a little stupid dont u think!

Had not heard that one before. Great!

Matt
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going.

USADreamliner

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:22 am

Not same but sound similar: AUCKLAND (NZ) and OAKLAND (USA)

New York JFK and LA PAZ (Bolivia) JFK Airport.

USADreamliner

vv701

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:14 am

Neither RME or either RMA (Roma, QL, Australia) or RMG (Rome, GA, USA) are in Italy.

On a personal note I remember years ago when my boss had just got a new secretary. She was determined to show her competence and efficiency by doing all he needed without help. One of the things he needed on her first day was a hire car booking when he got ROC on a previously booked trip.

When our boss went to lunch that day she came up to and asked why he was going to Rochester as it seemed to be a very small airport and had no on-airport hire car facilities and anaway was easier to get to from London by train. It did not take long to fathom that her Rochester was RCS, not ROC. Of course since she did not know ir could also have been RCR (Rochester, IN, USA), or either RST or JRC (both Rochester, MN, USA)!

UpperDeck79

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:56 am

When I was still living in China, I wanted to know the price to fly to visit a friend in San Diego, CA.

I was shocked to hear how much the ticket would cost and wanted to make sure we were talking about the same place. Well, when you want to say the name of the city in Chinese, it goes something like "shan ti eh goh". The ticket agent had given us a price for "shan ti ah goh", which is of course Santiago de Chile.  biggrin 
AY and ANA rock!

manchesteruk

Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:46 pm

all great stories thanks for sharing...

rootsair

Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:50 pm

Quoting FelixZRH (Reply 7):
And for some while they called the airport unique airport

However this name of Unique airport has been switched back to Kloten....
now only the company that runs ZRH is called Unique

A good example fo airports with same name are the ones in Caracas(CCS) andGuayaquil(GYE) Both are named Simon Bolivar
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

dstc47

Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Monterrey - Mexico and California (used to be Mexico too)

HBJZA

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:27 pm

I remember of a passenger on a flight from AMS to GVA. After landing in GVA the guy asked me in what country GVA was. I replied Switzerland and the guy almost fainted because he thought it was in Italy !!!! I then found out that he actually wanted to go to GOA. It's true that the names are quite similar between Geneva and Genoa.

2travel2know

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:56 pm

I wouldn't like to start a discussion here, but if LIM is Jorge Chávez Airport and anytime soon there's an airport named after General Chávez from Venezuela, those 2 airports would have the same "surname".
Same will happen if anytime soon another airport is named after the current US president since there's already a Bush Intercontinental (IAH).
I'm trying to find out if there're airports named after people, whose surnames are the same with other airports.
Is there another airport named Adams other than BGI? Trumman other than St Croix (or STT)?

odafz

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:59 pm

There is also this slight confusion between Alexandria (AEX, LA) and Alexandria (ALY) in Egypt.
And what about Basel (BSL) and Mulhouse (MLH), 2 different cities in 2 different counries served by the same airport with 3 different codes :
BSL for Basel
MLH for Mulhouse and
EAP for EuroAirport....

2travel2know

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting ODAFZ (Reply 29):
And what about Basel (BSL) and Mulhouse (MLH), 2 different cities in 2 different counries served by the same airport with 3 different codes :
BSL for Basel
MLH for Mulhouse and
EAP for EuroAirport....

Actually 3 cities, forgot Freiburg, Germany??

luisde8cd

Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 28):
I wouldn't like to start a discussion here, but if LIM is Jorge Chávez Airport and anytime soon there's an airport named after General Chávez from Venezuela,

That jerk only made it to Lt. Colonel, not General.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

skyharborshome

Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 2):
There have been cases where someone bought a ticket for a city that had the same name as another, like London, Ontario, Canada and London, England

I know we have probably all heard something similar, but I typed an email to the corporate office saying I would have to delay my trip there because I had something that came up in Ontario, CA and had an early flight on Southwest early in the morning. Well since we are only a domestic company, I received several replies asking me why I was going to Canada and one guy even asked me when WN started flying international. This is when I realized I am not working with the brightest crayons in the box.  scratchchin 
Fly CHD!

SJCRRPAX

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:44 am

Well here is another story. I was once in DFW riding on the TRAAIN when this young German guy, who had saved up all of his money to visit the U.S. , so he could see the historical sites in Washington DC, asked me "How do I get downtown" So I asked him, do you mean Ft. Worth or Dallas? He said no, he meant Washington. So, I asked him state or City? So, I was about to send him back to the terminal to catch a flight to DC, when I finally figured out he thought his flight was to Dulles. I felt kind of sorry for the guy and gave him a lift to the Greyhound Station since he barely had enough money for the trip as was. Kind of reminded me of my brother who missed seeing Florence Italy, because the train to Rome did not stop there, but it did stop in a city called Firenza.

fraspotter

Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:31 am

There's:
Athens, Greece and Athens, Georgia...
"Drunk drivers run stop signs. Stoners wait for them to turn green."

fraT

Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 3):
In addition, Germany has two Frankfurts (-am-Main and -am-Oder).

But only Frankfurt am Main (FRA) has air service. Frankfurt an der Oder hasn't.

river747

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:28 pm

Not the same name, but quite confusing:

I was once looking through an Italian timetable (I think it was Air Dolomoti) and saw they had flights between Milan and Monaco on an ATR42. While I was wondering how they're going to land an ATR42 on Monaco's heliport, I saw the airport code being MUC! Appareantly Monaco is Italian for Munich!

Also heard stories about an elderly couple travelling from London to Sydney, and did not understand why after 5 hours they had to change planes in Halifax. They had been booked on a flight to Sydney, Canada in stead of Sydney, Australia.

And some people thought they could fly very cheap on Ryanair to Santiago de Chile, of course Ryanair serves Santiago De Compostela in Spain.

apodino

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:39 pm

Quoting Bohica (Reply 10):
The airline I used to work for flew to Charleston, WV (CRW) and Charleston, SC (CHS). Needless to say there were a few passengers who ended up in the wrong place.

Which is why, when discussing these stations internally in airline speak, we refer to them as "Charlie West" or "Charlie South" respectively.

alespesl

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:15 pm

Also there is Sydney, Australia (SYD) and Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada (YQY).

I think that there was once a story around when two guys from UK purchased ticket to SYD but ended up in YQY because when they were purchasing tickets online that did not carefully select the right one.

vv701

Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:56 am

Aberdeen (Scotland) (ABZ)
Aberdeen (SD, USA) (ABR)
Aberdeen (Phillips AAF, MD, USA)
Aberdeen (RSA) (FAAE)
Aberdeen (Zimbabwe) (FVAB)

Abilene (TX, USA) (ABI)
Abilene (Dyess AFB, TX, USA) (DYS)

Abingdon QL, Australia) (ABG)
Abingdon (UK) (ABB)
Abingdon (Virginia Highlands, VA, USA) (VJI)

Abu Dhabi (International, UAE) (AUH)
Abu Dhabi (Al Dhafra, UAE) (DHF)
Abu Dhabi (Bateen, UAE) (AZI)

And thats just those starting 'Ab'

Quoting ODAFZ (Reply 29):
There is also this slight confusion between Alexandria (AEX, LA) and Alexandria (ALY) in Egypt.

To which you could add:

Alexandria (NT, Australia) (AXL)
Alexandria (Greece) (LGAX)
Alexandria (Chandler Field, MN, USA) (AXN)
Alexandria (Esler Regional, LA, USA) (ESF)
Alexandria Bay (NY, USA) (AXB)

I guess if you want completion we could be at the keyboard most of the week!

MKEdude

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Lazyshaun (Reply 1):
I remember something about an a/c landing at a military base just outside the airport it was suposed to land at and causing quite a mess, when it was stopped on the runway by a load of troops! What a plonker pilot! I think it was somewhere in the United Arab Emirates, but Im not certain.

Don't know if this is the story you were thinking of but there was an NW A319 flying to Rapid City SD. Instead it ended up landing at Ellsworth AFB a few miles away. Needless to say that the authorities were less then amused at this faux pas.

Don't know what happend to the pilots afterward, but I am sure this started a shitstorm that is still raining on them.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

vv701

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:40 am

Quoting Lazyshaun (Reply 1):
I remember something about an a/c landing at a military base just outside the airport it was suposed to land at

When I was young - which is more years ago than I care to remember - the Daily Mail newspaper sponsored a Paris to London race. The prize went to the person who traveled between a given point in central Paris to a given point in central London in the shortest time. Anyway this Royal Navy Buccaneer planned to land its passenger at Biggin Hill (BQH). It came out of the clouds, saw an airstrip and landed before the pilot discovered the runway he had seen was at the disused RAF Kenley. In those days (c1958) Kenley was still an RAF station and my uncle was the CO. But as an accountant his experience in dealing with flying crew was limited.

One of the problems at Kenley is that it is on top of a hill and there is a very sharp fall in the topography at the east or northeast end of the runway. I saw the Buccaneer's skid marks. They stopped less than 100 yards from the end of the paved runway and then there was about another 100 yards before the ground fell away at I guess between 20 and 30 degrees.