BG777300ER
Topic Author

Taking Food On An Airplane

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:23 am

I was just wondering if airlines allow customers to bring food like McDonald's on board, like a whole meal (burger, fries, drink and so on)? Are there any rules against this?
Koi mi sra v gashtite?

treeny

RE: Taking Food On An Airplane

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:25 am

Maybe I am wrong but I get the feeling that this would be something that each airline policies themselves - I mean I dont think the FAA have official guidance on this.

I do know the British Airways had some problems at LHR last year when the catering company went on strike and the offical line was that:-

"British Airways will turn a blind eye to customers boarding with food purchased outside of the airplane"

Take from that what you will hence my theory that there is no offical standing on this globally.

Cheers

Mark

iairallie

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:29 am

With few exceptions Airlines do not care.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

YULWinterSkies

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting BG777300ER (Thread starter):
allow customers to bring food like McDonald's

... I wish the Mac "food" were banned of the entire Earth. But so far, it's even allowed on airplanes, unless special restrictions from some airlines, but I have not heard much about that.
When I doubt... go running!

FLYACYYZ

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:44 am

Have you ever flown within the U.S?? Flying on board in the back has become like a suburban mall food court. I don't know of any individual airline policy which bans food on board.

There may be some issue regarding heating food in unknown/unapproved containers on board due to fire concerns.
Above and Beyond

BCAL

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:49 am

In flybe's in-flight magzine it was quoted

Quote:
The only alcohol, snacks and beverages allowed to be consumed on board are those served by our cabin crew.

See this thread RE: Flybe Bans Passengers Bringing Food Onboard! (by BCAL Aug 22 2005 in Civil Aviation)
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

ARGinLON

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:54 am

I would hate somebody having a MD meal or something vey smelly (let's Indian) but I wouldn't mind if if the brought a Sandwich or Salad but... Where do you draw a line?

I took a bagel on board once and nobody said anything..

KingGeo3

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:10 am

I know that when I fly any morning flight out of PIT most people on board have bagels and coffees that were purchased in the AirMall. I've had flight attendants ask me not to eat or drink on take-off, but as soon as the 10,000 ft <> occurs, you may resume consumption of your victuals.

-KG3

ps - post this on the OPS board, you'll probably get some very well informed and accurate answers
Nobody respects me . . . :(

AirScoot

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:11 am

Last time I flew WN they SUGGESTED to passengers that they go ahead and purchase food to bring onboard. I do know that in a number of US airports the restaurants on property are offering "inflight meal deals" and packaging them up specifically for the flight. My local airport - DCA - is a good example of this.

Last time I got an upgrade on HP (I have a trip report on this one) I actually WISH I would have purchased food to bring onboard.

miamiair

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:19 am

I have gotten on the airplane with Chili's-To-Go. It is better than that food for purchase on AA. The only thing I have heard was "We should have done that..." If you're going to fly in the cattle cabin, might as well bring something you like.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Gr8Circle

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:19 am

Airlines already charge you for the meals in your ticket, so they wouldn't really care if you got your own food onboard....

fxramper

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:25 am

On AA and CO flights from DFW, IAH, ORD, EWR, SNA, and LAX I've always been encouraged, even flying J or F class, to buy food at the terminal, and bring it on board. Especially since the purchase food on board deal, sorta fizzled...

Smile

AirScoot

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 10):
Airlines already charge you for the meals in your ticket, so they wouldn't really care if you got your own food onboard....

Charge you for meals? Most shorthaul routes I've come across don't offer meal service?!

bjornstrom

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:27 am

I sat next to two guys eating McDonalds aboard a SQ flight SIN-DPS a few months ago. Gotta love the smell of Big Macs and fries  Smile
Eurobonus Gold | BMI Gold | http://my.flightmemory.com/bjornstrom/

chase

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:33 am

If you are flying non-rev, you cannot request a special meal from the airline. If your dietary restrictions are such that you can't eat the regular meal, and if the flight is a long one, what choice do you have?
Even when I've paid for a "real" ticket, the airlines forget my meal about 40% of the time, so on the longer flights I generally always bring something to munch on. Noone has ever complained.

Motorhussy

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:33 am

Quoting Bjornstrom (Reply 13):
I sat next to two guys eating McDonalds aboard a SQ flight SIN-DPS a few months ago. Gotta love the smell of Big Macs and fries  

I however would be appalled to have someone eating that next to me on a plane.

NZ Express encourages people to bring aboard food for their trans-Tasman and Pacific flights as they acknowledge that it doesn't cater for people fully with their new economic model. But please no Maccers, KFC's etc

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

TACAA320

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 2):
With few exceptions

Like?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Gr8Circle

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 12):
Charge you for meals? Most shorthaul routes I've come across don't offer meal service?!

I'm obviously referring to airlines that serve meals onboard.....the world is a lot more larger than the continental US... smile 

MarshalN

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:10 am

Well, it can be very problematic if a customer decided to eat a durian on board.

KJFK31L

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:15 am

As far as I have experienced, no one has bothered me about bringin food on board.

Although they make special note of bringing food on boad when the ovens are broken onboard and no food will thus be served. Happen on HP out of Las Vegas.

Matt
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going.

TACAA320

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 18):
durian

Sorry, what's a "durian"?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

aircanada014

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:16 am

Two years ago when I visited my relatives in Texas I brought Mr Sub on board NW flight because they were only serving snacks and drinks no meal. If AC flew to SAT I would have had a nice hot meal with them from YYZ. I flew from YYZ to Detroit to SAT on NW. They had no problem allowing me taking food on the airplane and we did the same again on our way back to YYZ.

MarshalN

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:20 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 20):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

Here you go, in sum, a very smelly fruit that some will swear is the best thing on Earth, while others loathe with disgust and wouldn't come within a ten mile radius of one. To those who are uninitiated it is most likely to smell very nasty.

kappel

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting MotorHussy (Reply 15):
I however would be appalled to have someone eating that next to me on a plane.

I really couldn't care less, even if it's a bit smelly. And I really don't find McD food to be that smelly. I always bring only snacks with me, but I know that a lot of Surinamese people bring entire meals with them, Indian, Chinese, you name it. I've never heard of it being a problem, just the occasional, "next time I'm bringing my own food too" comment. I don't do it, but more because it's too much hassle to bring along.

Yes please, what's that?
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195

AirScoot

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:01 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 17):
I'm obviously referring to airlines that serve meals onboard.....the world is a lot more larger than the continental US...

I am fully aware that the world is a lot larger (vs. a lot more larger) than the Continental US. I haven't had a proper meal on anything flying within Canada, transborder, or intra-european in ages. That's what I'm referring to.

N1120A

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 24):
I haven't had a proper meal on anything flying within Canada, transborder

AC still serves free meals on flights that go over 4 hours.

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 24):
or intra-european in ages.

What is a "proper meal" on such a short flight? Many European carriers, including most traditional flag carriers, will give you something like a sandwich even on a very short flight

In the US, carriers actually encourage passengers to bring food on board, going so far as to work out deals with airport restaurants to deliver to the gate. Other carriers, like flybe and AirAsia have banned onboard food, which I think is bad customer service, though the Durian thing can help explain AirAsia's issues. There are many cases, particularly when the airline DOES serve food where preventing people from bringing food on board would be discriminatory and illegal in most places. If a Jewish, vegan, very strict Moslem, etc. passenger has to buy a rather last minute ticket which prevents a suitable meal from being boarded, the airline must still allow them to bring on their own food.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Okie

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:26 am

I have brought food on US domestic flights many a time over the years, either expecting little (bristo bag/snack pak) or no on board service, or running late not having time to eat before heading to the airport.

The only time anything has ever been said to me was when I brought a fresh hot Cinnabon on an early morning flight and the FA jokingly said " we may have to relieve you of that cinnamon roll for testing "

I would say a non issue.

Okie

zippyjet

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 2):
With few exceptions Airlines do not care.

Here, at FL it's cool, however, don't even think of bringing on those skanky dried fish heads. A lot of African passengers would try carrying on those stinky sturgens! We hope you don't act common and make a mess on the plane. A lot of Orlando bound passengers (tons of kids) make Oscar Madison look like Felix Unger. Things aren't like they were back in the day. Not to get off topic but, my parents laid down the law about behaving common in public and making messes!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

srbmod

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:33 am

Some airlines encourage passengers, especially on transcons, to go and get something to eat to bring onboard, as they only offer a snack service. AirTran is one that I've never seen them give passengers any problems with bring on food. Hell, I remember when I was working there seeing a Popeye's bag on top of the Captain's side instrument panel while we were powering back the airplane. I flew a one stop transcon on them from LAS-DFW-ATL, and when we got to DFW, the F/As said that those of us staying on to ATL could go and get something to eat and bring it back onboard.

congaboy

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:40 am

Hi, folks,

My first time on A.net....reading this for about two years and now taking the plunge.

Let me reply to the string this way:

When I board a flight seeing the f/a's chowing down breakfast burritos of their own, I would certainly hope we could do the same....which I do all the time.
"Joey, you like movies about gladiators?"

JohnKrist
Crew

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 18):
Well, it can be very problematic if a customer decided to eat a durian on board

Heck, those durians are not even allowed on Singapore's subway, they stink awful, but taste far better. There is a Swedish dish called surströmming (sour herring) that would qualify for a ban as well. Other than that you are allowed and often encouraged to bring your own food onboard in Sweden, and since airlines like SAS nowadays don't include food on domestic flights or the economy inter Europe routes you are free to purchase whatever you like.
Malmö Aviation still serves food on domestic flights so I always try to fly with them  Smile
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

ltbewr

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:42 am

One of the best 'meals' I ever had on an aircraft was a bring on board on PeopleExpress BRU-EWR back in 1985. PE didn't offer free meals, and even then it was mainly a cold chicken 'snack' or a basket of snack items for a modest price. Don't forget you had to pay for all beverages with PE too (like $.50 for a can of soda).
Before I left Brussels, it was a Sunday and went the South-main (?) Train Station Sunday street market. I bought a loaf of French bread, about 100Gms of boiled ham from a deli kiosk and about 50 Gms of Edam cheese from another, a bag of potato chips and some soda/water as well as a special dessert. A couple of hours into the flight, I broke out my carry on food, and using some the bread, meat and cheese, (using a plastic knife I brought with me) made a nice large sandwich, with some of the chips. For dessert, I had a Godiva chocolate bar...mmmm. Others around me were admiring my decision.
I would avoid most hot foods, especially burgers, french fries as they tend to go nasty if you are delayed in eating them. I would also avoid very messy or smelly (like that durian) foods as well as tempature sensitive foods (milk, etc) Salads, non-messy fruits (think apples and the like) energy bars, sandwiches, chips and similar snacks, bottled/canned fruit juices, all would all be good choices. It would be better than that 'airline food', paying their charges for it, or not having any food at all.

YYZYYT

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:50 am

definitely a non-issiue in Canada as well.

Speaking about Cdn domestic flights, not only do many airlines not feed you on shorter flights, they don't even OFFER to sell you anything beyond cookies or chips these days. And then you compound that with flights that have a series of shorter segments, where you are not permitted off the aircraft for 4-5 hours or more, yet no one leg qualifies for food service.

Further, even where they do have buy on board, (eg AC) in my experience you can not count on them actually having anything left unless you are sitting in the first five rows of Y, especially if the flight is at breakfast or dinner time.

= BYO Food is Essential.

As for complete McD meals? seen it done a few times, and did similar once myself. The route was YHM-YOW-YHZ cnx YYT. We had grabbed the tickets on short notice (prepared nothing at home) and ran to YHM airport, where we discovered there was nothing to buy. We were not allowed off at YOW, so by Halifax I was ready to gnaw the fine leather seat of our 735. It was a late evening and the sandwich stall was sold out, so my wife left the secure area and ended up buying the only thing she could find that was open but not sold out: Burger King.
Never had a Whopper taste as good as that one at 35,000 feet.

kiwiandrew

Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:07 am

flights from New Zealand to many destinations in Polynesia are dreaded by cabin crew because of the all pervading stench of KFC brought on board by pax in jumbo boxes for relatives back home who dont have access to it - by the end of a 4-5 hour sector the cabin stinks .

you do need to be aware that for many international flights it may be ok to take food on board ... but agricultural and quarantine restrictions will prevent you taking it off at the other end . If you take almost any sort of foodstuff on board a flight into Australia or New Zealand you had better be prepared to eat it enroute .

RAFVC10

Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:12 am

I remember a LH flight three or four years ago from BCN to STR in eonomy class. My girlfriend with a ham sandwich and me with an potatoes omelette sandwich. Anyone told us anything.

If I don't remember bad, Spanish airlines not ban to take with you meals with you. I have seen in Business Class people with sandwiches and recipients to bring its own meals... with all the meal types you can choose when you fliy in Transatlantic...
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

iairallie

Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:45 am

I don't remember who but one of those easyjet/ryanair types who had a BOB program did not permit outside food.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

antiuser

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:17 am

For the resident Brazilians, durian is like a jaca.
Azzurri Campioni del Mondo!

sampa737

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:31 am

Here in Brasil, most flights are served with a meal or a nice sized snack. Most airports here don't have the advantages of fast-food in the terminals, aka McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell or Chilis-To-Go. Take advantage and eat!

ckfred

Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:00 am

My problems with bringing food on board are:

A. Hot food tends to get cold, by the time you can put your tray down.

B. If you bring food on board, the beverage service starts at the other end of the cabin.

C. It's one more thing to carry, besides a coat, carry-on bag, boarding pass, etc.

D. At some airports, the food selection is lousy. At ATL, the food choice on T Concourse is lousy, and the Chick-fil-a on A is closed on Sundays. At ORD, the Berghoff is in Terminal 1, Concourse C, so if you're on AA, no Berghoff beer or root beer.

FLYACYYZ

Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 25):
AC still serves free meals on flights that go over 4 hours

Regrettably not the case. That changed on November 1st to all Continental North American flights. There are two exceptions currently:

AC033 YYZ-YVR (HNL-SYD) & v.v.
AC037 YYZ-YVR (PVG) & v.v.

and any other flights which are thru tag ends to the Pacific/Asia.
Above and Beyond

KJFK31L

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting Congaboy (Reply 29):
Hi, folks,

My first time on A.net....reading this for about two years and now taking the plunge.

Welcome aboard!

Matt
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going.

PanAm747

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:34 am

In September, 2003, I was flying BWI-PHX-SAN on HP.

About one hour before the flight, the gate agent announced to all passengers, "this is a long flight, and there are no meals served - only peanuts. If you want something to eat, we ask that you visit the food court - they will be happy to package something up for you for the plane".

I restrained from eating until the beverage service had begun. Always a smart move.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

YYZUla

Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:19 am

I take food on planes all the time, especially when I am flying from european destinations to YYZ. My grandmother always gives me enough food to feed a small army.

ltbewr

Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:30 am

I would also add that BYO food may be a good idea even if they serve a 'meal' or snack on the flight. For example on CO transcons, their meal is a hot sandwich, usually of chicken in sauce, a small bag of premium potato chips, and a small candy dessert. While that is fine for most people, for others, that may not be an appropiate choice for their dietary needs or preferences. Many now have to cut back on their fat, salt, sugar and those things in food that make it taste good due to their fat bodies and developed or developing health issues. Some just like to eat healthy. Others have religious issues to be concerned with. Many of the choices of food at the airport are not so good either as to health issues.