TimePilot
Topic Author

Very Strange Q - Fish At The Airport

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:10 am

When I lived in the US, I used to work in Terminal C at Logan. I could have sworn that the Legal Seafoods had a giant aquarium with fish swimming around in it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't water a great conductor for sound? Wouldn't the fish hear the aircraft outside much louder than us?

Or am I totally wrong?

... the thoughts that go through my head when I first wake up ...  Yeah sure

vivek0072

RE: Very Strange Q - Fish At The Airport

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:46 am

water is a good conductor of sound compared to air, or in other words is a better medium for propagation, which means that the speed of sound in water is faster than in air. So the fish will not here it louder but at the same intensity as we hear it.
That life's most failures were people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up. - Edison.

rtfm

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting TimePilot (Thread starter):
Wouldn't the fish hear the aircraft outside much louder than us?

Maybe, but they have a much shorter memory than us so they wouldn't remember they had heard it for very long....  wink 

jacobin777

Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting Vivek0072 (Reply 1):
water is a good conductor of sound compared to air, or in other words is a better medium for propagation, which means that the speed of sound in water is faster than in air. So the fish will not here it louder but at the same intensity as we hear it.

say what?  confused  have you ever tried to yell in a swimming pool? water is a TERRIBLE conductor of sound as compared to air......

water has density (the more the salinity, the greater the density), which prevents sound waves from propagating....where as air has basically no density..
"Up the Irons!"

airways1

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:30 pm

Water is a much better conductor of sound than air but the sound waves in the fish tank cannot be greater than in the air surrounding the tank, so no, the fish wouldn't 'hear' the sound louder.

This is, of course, neglecting other factors, such as sensitivity of fish to sound, mode of detection of sound by fish (as far as I know, they 'feel' sound rather than 'hear' it), and transmissibility of sound by the glass tank itself, etc..

Pe@rson

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:53 pm

When my now-ex girlfriend and I were in AMS, we saw a few big tanks of fish. She, a zoologist, explained that fish are deemed to be relaxing, hence their presence.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

dstc47

Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:07 pm

Cork Airport used to have an ornemental fishtank in arrivals.

It may be gone now, as there is a lot of redevelopment there and some time since I visited.

The fish seemed as happy there as they do anywhere else - probably a lot happier than fish in any tank outside a fish restaurant anyhow.

The passengers are not so happy about the lack of jetways, in a rainy country you can get seriously wet even in a small airport.

hansieAMS

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:05 pm

The only fishtank I know of in AMS is in fact a Bombay Sapphire "advertising medium", i doubt that was put there as a relaxing element.

Coronado990

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 3):
say what? have you ever tried to yell in a swimming pool? water is a TERRIBLE conductor of sound as compared to air......

Don't tell that to an Orca.
Uncle SAN at your service!

Pe@rson

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting HansieAMS (Reply 7):
The only fishtank I know of in AMS is in fact a Bombay Sapphire "advertising medium", i doubt that was put there as a relaxing element.

I saw four bigs tanks, full of live fish, when I was last at AMS (4x in June).
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

ikramerica

Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:57 am

Another airport with fish is SRQ.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 3):
say what?    have you ever tried to yell in a swimming pool? water is a TERRIBLE conductor of sound as compared to air......

Yeah, because human vocal cords, which are designed to make noise in air, can't make the same noise underwater, that must mean water can't conduct sound.

Ever tapped a watch on a handrail in the pool? Try it sometime. You can hear it all over the pool underwater. Above the water, you can barely hear it at the other end of the pool. Of course that also has something to do with the ambient noise of the air.

But, back on topic, water doesn't conduct sound from the air very well. Yelling above the surface would barely be heard below. As a swimmer, I know this quite well. You tend to only hear the cheers of a race when your head is above the water. As soon as you dip under, you only hear the sound of swimming, and faint other noises.

So, no, the airport noise does not likely disturb the fish. But kids tapping on the glass does.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

flyCMH

Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:05 am

Live fish must not mind it too much. America West used to carry live fish as cargo to pet stores here in Columbus. I remember unloading several dozen boxes of live fish off numerous A320s coming from LAX, PHX, and LAS while I was there. I think the only time they were really bothered was when they arrived in CMH during the winter.
712,722,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,744,752/3,762/3,772/3,788,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,346,380,D93,M88,M11,F100,B11,L10,146,CR1/2/7/9,E35/40/45/70/75/90,E20,SF3,ATR,AT7,J41,DH1/3/4

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos