RichardPrice
Topic Author

Spain - Murcia Airport Question

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:20 pm

Hi,

Ive been asked to see if anyones got any information on what will happen to the current Murcia airport (San Javier, MJV, based at a military airfield) when the proposed new airport actually goes ahead. Will it be closed to nonmilitary traffic or will the two airports operate together? Also does anyone know roughly where the new airport is proposed for?

Cheers
Richard

Summa767

RE: Spain - Murcia Airport Question

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:08 am

Hi,
Aena (the Spanish aviation authority) does not intend to close MJV when the new airport in Murcia opens. Indeed, there are currently works under way to build a parallel runway to the existing one at MJV as to overcome the current restrictions to civilian aircraft. Namely, MJV does is not open for commercial operations before 3pm or after 11 pm Monday to Friday as its exclusively used by the "Army of the sky" or Spanish Air Force. Works for an extension to the car park and an enlarged check in area have been completed recently. The departures area remains small, and can be very crowded when there is a congregation of passengers for more than 2 flights.

The new proposed airport, which should have started building works by now, will be located in Corvera. Approximately 30 Km from MJV, and a similar distance from the city of Murcia.

MJV has registered 100% increase in traffic in 2004 and 2005.

RichardPrice
Topic Author

Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:02 am

Thanks, that answered all my questions!

Muchly appreciated.

Summa767

Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 2):
Thanks, that answered all my questions!

I forgot to mention that, whilst Aena does not intend to close MJV, the residents of "los Alcazares" and its mayor campaigned for the approval of the airport at Corvera, as they would like to see MJV close. They complain of noise and vibration. Los Alcazares is in the landing path for MJV. But I doubt that they will have the leverage to close down an airport that it's of increasing importance for the region.