CYEGsTANKERS

Continental's "Global Tail"

Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:52 pm

What year did Continental introduce the globe on the tail?
(Close up here)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Richard Barsby - Aviation Photography CYEG

kiwiandrew

RE: Continental's "Global Tail"

Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:21 pm

http://www.airchive.com/SITE%20PAGES/TIMETABLES-CONTINENTAL.html

June 14, 1991
On June 14, 1991 Continental sought to repair it’s tattered image by introducing a new business-like look emphasizing it’s global reach. Replacing “the red meatball” was a globe icon based on the real thing seen on the cover at the site of the 1964 New York World’s Fair.

CO had such an awful reputation back then and now I would say that they probably have the best public perception of the remaining big six . I always remember a guy who ran a shuttle service at AKL had a contract for delivering mishandled baggage to pax ... he was very upset when CO pulled out of New Zealand in 1993 (?) because at that time they used to 'mishandle' more luggage than all the other carriers operating into AKL combined . Wish you would start back to AKL ( though I can't see it happening anytime in the next few years ) Congrats to CO employees though for making so much positive happen to what was a complete dog of an airline

hawk44

Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:21 pm

February 12, 1991

Hawk44
Never under estimate the power of US

kiwiandrew

Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:23 pm

Quoting Hawk44 (Reply 2):
February 12, 1991

ooops , looks like my source wasn't as good as I thought it was .

ptharris

Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:24 pm

Right after Frank Lorenzo watched Eastern Air Lines go *poof*. Interesting, huh?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

flight7e7

Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:04 pm

If you have not done so already, please read "From Worst to First" by Gordon Bethune, former CEO of CO.

This is an inspiring book and one of great interest to those who are entrepreneurs or if you have aspirtations to get into a management position at any airline.

One single deal with Boeing and the aircraft painting company at that time (CO was virtually destitute) made CO what it is today-as well as it's people.

Just flew them again from SJO/EWR-the service was outstanding, airplane immaculate and the crew one of the friendliest aloft. The high morale is evident....COngratulations. Fine job and fine airline.

wgw2707

Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:13 pm

The livery was actually designed by Lippincott Mercer (then called Lippincott & Margulies), one of the pioneering branding and corporate identity houses. They did an interesting job. I also liked the Saul Bass-designed predeccessor identity as well, though I will say it was definitely stronger in its original incarnation-with a black globe on the tail-than it was after its 1980s modification, in which the black globe was repainted to a red color. It annoys me greatly, when, for no good reason, a great design is messed with. By 1991, the equities associated with the Continental brand as it had been were so negative the L&M rebrand was an absolute neccessity, and Bethune deserves credit for accelerating the company-wide transition to the new look.

kiwiandrew

Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:18 pm

Quoting WGW2707 (Reply 6):
though I will say it was definitely stronger in its original incarnation-with a black globe on the tail-than it was after its 1980s modification, in which the black globe was repainted to a red color

I agree , I never understood why the meatball changed from black to red
( unless it was a sly reference to the bottom line !)

gold and black looked much better ( although if it were still around now it would probably look tragically 70sish)

OB1783P

Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:21 pm

I am flying CO for the first time next month.

EWR - LIS - EWR

I can't wait!

I'll write a report when I come back.
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!

ltbewr

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:43 pm

It it a 'classic' yet modern, clean, simple and almost elegant design, that still looks fresh 14-15 years later. Yes, it is a variation of the 'euro-white' design theme, but it still works well, making a businesslike statement, noting the true global reach and attitude of CO. To some extent it is echos other classic and well done designs like that of Pan Am and TWA.

SAIL52115

Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 7):
gold and black looked much better ( although if it were still around now it would probably look tragically 70sish)

Yes...but tragic 70s ish are hip and cool now! And if CO made a change, don't you think the gold cheat line would be very cool in an expanded color role on the fuselage?

I sell real estate as part of my living, and I must tell you: shag carpet is making a comeback. And these units sell as the shag usually does it! I have even written contracts stating that a rake must be included as well! (Hey, you old farts: Remember those?)

kiwiandrew

Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting SAIL52115 (Reply 10):
And these units sell as the shag usually does it!

yes , it usually does Big grin ( sorry , a little Brit-English humour there ... if you don't understand ask someone English , or Kiwi , or Australian )

SAIL52115

Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 11):
yes , it usually does Big grin ( sorry , a little Brit-English humour there ... if you don't understand ask someone English , or Kiwi , or Australian )

laughing 

Ha! IN some cases, yes, that kinda works. Vice is never bad...

ptharris

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:05 am

Quoting Flight7E7 (Reply 5):
Just flew them again from SJO/EWR-the service was outstanding, airplane immaculate and the crew one of the friendliest aloft. The high morale is evident....COngratulations. Fine job and fine airline.

You must have had first class or something. I flew CO about 2 years ago from PDX to EWR (the last time if I can help it) and the plane was filthy, service was crap, we were cramped in those cattle seats they call coach class. The seat in front of me was so damned close, I felt I had to exchange phone numbers with the person in that seat. It's nice to see that you're such a supporter of CO. Someone has to.

MarshalN

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting Ptharris (Reply 14):
You must have had first class or something. I flew CO about 2 years ago from PDX to EWR (the last time if I can help it) and the plane was filthy, service was crap, we were cramped in those cattle seats they call coach class. The seat in front of me was so damned close, I felt I had to exchange phone numbers with the person in that seat. It's nice to see that you're such a supporter of CO. Someone has to.

Is CO any worse than any other airline in seat pitch? I didn't think so...

AA737-823

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:23 am

Looks like someone doesn't know how to surf the web... and find seat pitch numbers...
What's that? Other airlines are flying 30" seat pitches in their 30+ year old DC-9 aircraft all day long? And CO is flying 31 or more in their brand new 737NG? Huh... Who knew... oh wait, everybody knew.
 Yeah sure

I sit on the face about my favorite airline's livery. I like it, it's very business like... but it uses a lot of white, grey, and blue. It's kinda dull. It lacks flair. I would LOVE to see a proud bird with a golden tail. Red would be nice.
I think the current blue-n-globe livery is a bit 90s.

Either way, I don't think it's something for the airline to spend money on just yet. They can milk it until the 787 comes online.

AF-A319

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:25 am

If you have not done so already, please read "From Worst to First" by Gordon Bethune, former CEO of CO.

This is an inspiring book and one of great interest to those who are entrepreneurs or if you have aspirtations to get into a management position at any airline.

Sorry, a bit off topic, but I had to say that if this book is a good read, it's also a Gordon Bethune's ego-trip !

UH60FtRucker

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:29 am

I don't know why, but I've always liked this particular concept for CO's next livery. Granted, the 787 doesn't look like that anymore... but it's still a nice livery.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/UH60FtRucker/00002138.jpg

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

worldflyer

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:39 am

CO's globe logo is an abstract of the Unisphere, the Theme Symbol of the 1964/1965 New York World's Fair. Today it stands in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.

The airline used the structure on the cover of its June 14, 1991 timetable:

JBLUA320

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:38 am

I like the current Continental livery a lot... It isn't the most interesting, but it isn't dull, either. It's fresh, it's professional, and most importantly, it doesn't look like it was designed by a child in first grade!

JBLU

garpd

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:12 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 18):
I don't know why, but I've always liked this particular concept for CO's next livery. Granted, the 787 doesn't look like that anymore... but it's still a nice livery.

Bah! Horrible

CO's current tail logo is a classic and one that should never be tampered with, just like AA.
Sure, the fuselage and titles could do with a little clean up, but the tail should stay as it is.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nick Onkow

View Large View Medium

Photo © Shane Walker

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fabrice Sanchez - Brussels Aviation Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © Edward Lai

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Sheldon

arpdesign.wordpress.com

Xkorpyoh

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:49 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 18):
it's still a nice livery

hey.. i love it!.. instead of white, it should have the metalic look that NW/VS have in their current livery (it is a paint, not bare metal)

lincoln

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:05 am

Somewhat on subject for this thread...

a) In the book Gordon makes reference to a large number of livieries on the property at the time. What were they?

b) Gordon also makes reference to how the entire fleet was repainted in the new scheme relatively quickly, how was this accomplished?

You must have had first class or something. I flew CO about 2 years ago from PDX to EWR (the last time if I can help it) and the plane was filthy, service was crap, we were cramped in those cattle seats they call coach class.

I'm sorry you weren't satisfied with your flight, but IMHO Continental has the best (with United as a close 2nd) domestic product of any legacy airline-- and potentially any airline. They don't have the worst pitch in the industry, and I've never been on a plane taht I would call dirty. First class is an amazing experience/product, but coach isn't anything to sneeze at compared to other airlines' coach products.

Lincoln
[26,000 miles on CO between July 1, 2005 and December 31, 2005...all domestic, only about 4,500 in First)
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

luisca

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 23):
You must have had first class or something. I flew CO about 2 years ago from PDX to EWR (the last time if I can help it) and the plane was filthy, service was crap, we were cramped in those cattle seats they call coach class.

I'm sorry you weren't satisfied with your flight, but IMHO Continental has the best (with United as a close 2nd) domestic product of any legacy airline-- and potentially any airline. They don't have the worst pitch in the industry, and I've never been on a plane taht I would call dirty. First class is an amazing experience/product, but coach isn't anything to sneeze at compared to other airlines' coach products.

This is the first time I have heard someone say this. Even non aviation fans always return extremely satisfied from a CO flight. They always come back saying CO is the best US airline.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

Jacobcal

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:46 pm

I've always wondered what other color schemes they considered before deciding on the current one. I love our paint job, still looks very clean and classy.

JacobCAL

CRGsFuture

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:53 pm

Personally the CO paint job is one of the best in the business and one that should never be changed. I love how it is crisp clean fresh and is just an interesting paint design that symbolizes its global outreach and the city it has a hub in NYC/EWR.
Flying you to your destination; your girlfriend to her dreams.

sccutler

Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:54 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 23):
In the book Gordon makes reference to a large number of livieries on the property at the time. What were they?

Off the top of my head, I can recall the hybrid beige (ex PeoplExpress) colors; the ex-Texas International DC-9s, there may still have been some ex-Frontier (the first one, FL) with the stripes across the top and (of course) the original proud bird (but with red tail art). I think by then all the New York Air planes had been painted, but there were those in red fo a while, as well.

What have I missed?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

dtwclipper

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:04 pm

Quoting Jacobcal (Reply 25):
I've always wondered what other color schemes they considered before deciding on the current one. I love our paint job, still looks very clean and classy.

How about red with a white tail and red meatball? Big grin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tom Vance
View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

View Large View Medium

Photo © Robert M. Campbell
View Large View Medium

Photo © Fergal Goodman

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

sccutler

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:19 pm

I *knew* there were some ex-NY CO planes in the database.

Here are some late 80s / early 90s liveries.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Durbin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

View Large View Medium

Photo © Yakfreak - VAP

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

N200WN

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:29 pm

Quoting GARPD (Reply 21):
Sure, the fuselage and titles could do with a little clean up, but the tail should stay as it is.

Right on. The current tail logo is great and it should last for many more years (like the old PanAm globe). But I think the fuselage could use just a little freshening. Maybe just a little bolder cheat line with some blue and gold.

ORDagent

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:34 pm

I have to agree that the CO current livery is one of the best and will probably be here for a VERY long time as it is pretty timeless right there with AA.

centrair

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:51 pm

I love the logo.

My company also used a similar design for a project.

If you want to show that you are a global company...show a globe.

I just wish I could see more CO tails in NGO and fly them more.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

garpd

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:03 pm

You sound quite bitter.

I flew with CO EDI-EWR-PBI-NAS-FLL-EWR-EDI and I found the service first rate, even though I was in cattle class. Great food, great service.

All flown by 757s and B1900Ds, no widebodies.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

lincoln

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 29):
I *knew* there were some ex-NY CO planes in the database.

Here are some late 80s / early 90s liveries.

Wow, that is quite an assortment of liveries. Thanks for posting that.

Now...  Smile... any details about "Continental's Houston Proud Express"? I don't think I've ever heard of that one (sounds like they were trying to compete with WN). Agents must have been out of breath after boarding those.

Quoting N200WN (Reply 30):
Right on. The current tail logo is great and it should last for many more years (like the old PanAm globe). But I think the fuselage could use just a little freshening. Maybe just a little bolder cheat line with some blue and gold.

checkmark  I agree... I don't see a pressing need for the livery to be "freshened", but when they do, I think it would be insane to tinker with the globe-- it still looks great and is probably one of the few airline logos (along with United's U, American's A[eagle]A and Delta's Widget) that is pretty universally recognizeable.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

boeingguy1

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:35 pm

plane was filthy, service was crap, we were cramped in those cattle seats they call coach class. The seat in front of me was so damned close, I felt I had to exchange phone numbers with the person in that seat. It's nice to see that you're such a supporter of CO. Someone has to.

Stop complaining. CO has the best Coach service domestically in the US of the legacies. Want first class? PAY FOR IT.
"...Gatwick South!? Id rather crash in Brighton!"

akelley728

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:56 pm

One question - how many times have you flown CO? If you're basing your opinion on CO on just one flight, that's pretty pathetic. Even the best have their bad days. Like others have said on here, the pitch on CO is the same as the other major carriers (WN excluded). I challenge you to fly another flight on CO and see if your crappy experience repeats itself.

nateDAL

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:17 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 34):

Now... Smile... any details about "Continental's Houston Proud Express"? I don't think I've ever heard of that one (sounds like they were trying to compete with WN). Agents must have been out of breath after boarding those.

Even as a native Houstonian, I don't remember that one. So, I looked it up.
Continental's Houston Proud Express (by Syncmaster Jul 9 2005 in Civil Aviation)

IAH-HOU-IAH, and IAH-EFD-IAH. I did the EFD-IAH run a while ago, it was just a CO ATR though...

"Houston Proud" was a slogan meant to make people feel better about the dire straights the city was in at the time. The city was doing great while oil prices were very high in the late 1970s and early 1980s. There was a lot of speculative investment in oil and real estate. Eventually, the price of oil collapsed. Houston lost so many jobs that if it had been its own state, we would have led the country in losses. Real estate prices fell for five (?) years, eventually reaching -20% per year in 1989 before finally recovering. Anyway, Houston is back and its economy is much less oil-dependent than it used to be, ~45% of the economy vs. 80%+ back then.
Set Love Free

WDBRR

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:18 am

Quoting Ptharris (Reply 4):
Right after Frank Lorenzo watched Eastern Air Lines go *poof*. Interesting, huh?

Seems interesting that Eastern folded 01/18/91 and the new logo started in February 1991.

TACAA320

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting Xkorpyoh (Reply 12):

Some globe logos around the globe:

CM also for obviously reasons.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

ptharris

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 38):
Quoting Ptharris (Reply 4):

Seems interesting that Eastern folded 01/18/91 and the new logo started in February 1991.

Maybe a vision of world conquest? LOL! Yeah, thought the dates were a bit odd.

ContnlEliteCMH

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:27 am

It's nice to see that you're such a supporter of CO. Someone has to.

Nobody "has to." See, some of us fly a lot, for real. You know, where we actually get on an airplane and fly, not sit behing a monitor and keyboard and pretend that we're an airline exec.

I don't fly Continental because I "have to." I give them my money because everytime I fly, they give lots of reasons for me to give them my money the next time.

By comparison, I flew UAX a couple weeks ago, through Terminal G at IAD. Let's just say I won't be repeating that trip anytime soon. I didn't like the planes (I hate the CRJ); I didn't like the terminal; and I surely didn't like the dingalings tapping the microphones before every announcement, then yelling into the mics in a tongue that barely qualified as English. At one point I wondered if I was still in the United States. The whole outfit struck me as *very* bush league.

But I won't comment on the *rest* of United Airlines. I've not flown them enough to know. One flight does not qualify you or me to comment upon the whole airline. Now, fly Continental for 150 segments, and then we'll compare notes!

EDIT: I also meant to say that I like the tails and the uniforms. Don't touch 'em! But the rest of plane they could mess with a lot, and I wouldn't mind. I've never thought Continental's current livery was inspiring. Then again, neither is Delta's. Or United's. Or US's new livery. 'Bout the only two I really like are NW's and AA's.

[Edited 2006-01-22 18:30:19]
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

aaden

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:56 am

i love their globe one of the better tail designs out there. I like the old look better though.

lincoln

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:52 am

Quoting Ptharris (Reply 40):
Maybe a vision of world conquest? LOL! Yeah, thought the dates were a bit odd.

Frank Lorenzo did have visions of world conquest and tried to acheive them through what is now known as Continental (very little of the original CO, plus large chunks of Frontier (ther original), New York Air, People Express, not to mention Texas International (who, I think, was the surviving entity in the merger, but they kept the Continental name))

The story of Frank Lorenzo is very interesting, and in many ways integral to the explaining the current state of civil aviation in the United States. I highly reccommend reading Hard Landing: The Epic Contest For Power and Profits That Plunged the Airlines into Chaos" by Thomas Petzinger, Jr. (A Wall Street Journal reporter) -- it's about 10 years old, so lots of the more recent developments aren't covered, but it is still a well-researched and excellent read and it traces how, essentially, every airline is related to every other airline in one way or another / the impact that a change from one airline had on the rest of the indsustry.

While I Liked From Worst To First, Nuts!, and Flying High, they were all too singular in their focus -- as if the events at each airline happened in a virtual vacuum. (Ayone know of any other good Airline-industry books out there?)

Lincoln

WesternA318

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:58 pm

I would say Hard Landing is one of the better writings out there now. It describes what happened mainly in the late 70's to the end of the 80's. Although several co-workers of mine said Petzinger is updating it with publication slated towards the beginning of next year.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

dtwclipper

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:17 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 43):
Frank Lorenzo did have visions of world conquest and tried to acheive them through what is now known as Continental (very little of the original CO, plus large chunks of Frontier (ther original), New York Air, People Express, not to mention Texas International (who, I think, was the surviving entity in the merger, but they kept the Continental name))

Texas International was indeed the surviving entity, but took the CO name.

New York Air was set up by the holding company, Texas Air corp, as a non-union agent to take on Eastern.

New York Air was folded into CO on 2/1

[Edited 2006-01-23 05:23:32]
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

hawk44

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:45 pm

I remember flying only CO as a kid mostly on 727's into EWR from FLL I sure do miss the old "meatball"

There is no way I can transfer DL miles over to CO is there?

Hawk44
Never under estimate the power of US

akelley728

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:50 pm

Quoting Hawk44 (Reply 46):
There is no way I can transfer DL miles over to CO is there?

Nope, but you can redeem DL miles for CO flights.

N200WN

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:00 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 43):
(Anyone know of any other good Airline-industry books out there?)

I think "Hard Landing" is one of the best. Another book from about the same time period is Airline Odyssey: The Airline Industry's Turbulent Flight Into The Future by James Ott and Raymond E. Neidl.

Looking forward to the update of "Hard Landing."

APFPilot1985

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:07 pm

Quoting N200WN (Reply 48):
Looking forward to the update of "Hard Landing."

I'm reading it as we speak (type?) for like the 4th time, it is a great book.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos