Aircellist
Topic Author

Airport Annoucement Chimes - Bells - Signals?

Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:08 am

As a follow-on to the thread about the lady who speaks in US airports, is there a site on the net that would have recordings of the different chimes we can hear in the world' airport? I am thinking particularly about that special bell that sounds in Paris...
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

jsnww81

RE: Airport Annoucement Chimes - Bells - Signals?

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:10 am

Try http://www.sounddogs.com. Do a search for "airport pa" and you'll get a bunch of hits - Cairo, Madrid, Stockholm, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, Lisbon and a bunch of others. They don't have Paris, however. Are you referring to the old CDG "techno" chime or the new one?

DL4EVR

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:26 am

Anyone have the sound effect that DL uses when making an announcement (at ANY domestic airport)?
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

MAS777

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:29 am

There was a link to the airport chime at Kuala Lumpur airport which is quite characteristic although apparently has been subject to a few complains lately as there is now a directive to announce flights in at least 3 different languages - Malay, English and Mandarin.

Apparently - this has caused the chime to be heard almost constantly which is starting to drive passengers and staff around the bend - lol!

Aircellist
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:49 pm

Thanks, Jsnww81, for the reference. What an incredible sound site!

Yes, I suppose I am referring to the "old techno" sound, as you call it, the one that has been heard in quite a few French movies... To me, that chime by itself makes me feel like travelling...  Smile

I have not been to Paris recently enough to hear the new chime Sad
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

centrair

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:49 pm

In Japan I think its the same bell used in schools. Four tones a third apart. Acending tones before the annoucement and decending after. Starts on C.

But I might be wrong. I hear the school chime 6 times a day or more. So every announcement sounds like that.
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

deltagator

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:07 pm

Quoting DL4EVR (Reply 2):
Anyone have the sound effect that DL uses when making an announcement (at ANY domestic airport)?

I don't but it sounds kind of like the sound they play when the Orlando Magic make a free throw.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

jsnww81

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:40 am

Aircellist -

I have a recording of the "old" CDG airport chime that is very clear. I'd be happy to send it to you.

The new CDG chime isn't bad, it's just not as good. If you visit the Aeroports de Paris website and click on "notre identite" you can find it under "identite sonore." They play a short version of it. It's *way* better than the new chime on board SNCF trains, which sounds like a woman singing scat music.

My all-time favorite is the chime played in the Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof S-Bahn station. I shot a quick video down there back in November just so I could get a recording of the chime.

Aircellist
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:50 am

Jsnww81,

Yes, I would be glad to receive your recording of CDG's old chime, or even of Orly's...

You can send it to me via my contact on my user page. Many thanks  Smile

Well, I can't find the link to the present chime on ADP's page.