ChiGB1973
Topic Author

Just In, TZ LGA-HOU

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:55 am

I guess this is part of the WN codeshare since it is HOU rather than IAH.

2 flights per day beginning 04/02/2006.

SFO base is closing and moving to OAK and stations will be opened in ONT and ITO.

Good news.

M

[Edited 2006-01-23 01:23:00]

LN-MOW

RE: Just In, TZ LGA-HOU

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:09 am

Wow! Flights are loaded already.
Hawaii-flights are moved to OAK! Now we're talking feed from Southwest!!

[Edited 2006-01-23 01:19:21]
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

ChiGB1973
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:21 am

I do not know that it would be appropriate for me to say, but if you are wondering the validity of the post, book the flight on ata.com. It is available to book now as far as the LGA-HOU goes.

The others are really just points of interest for ATA crewmember more than anything else.

M

SESGDL

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:26 am

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 2):
The others are really just points of interest for ATA crewmember more than anything else.

OAK-HNL is shown in the TZ flight schedule as flight 4517 operated by a 73H.

Jeremy

LN-MOW

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:26 am

I found them. Cool!!!
Guess there will be a major announcement tomorrow!!

I've also heard that TZ has picked up a vacation charter contract from various eastern airports to Mexican destinations ....

TWA902fly

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:26 am

Right after the announcement of AA pulling their AUS-HOU-LGA...

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

as739x

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:10 am

1 more open gate at SFO in terminal 1. US/HP will be loving that!

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

drerx7

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:12 am

Good news--a suitable replacement for YX 717s and AAMd80s lost for us spotters. This route should do well with the WN feed. Flights are with 733s.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

LGAtoIND

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:50 am

I have been wondering why WN dosent fly ISP-HOU on their own metal. Anyway, I think this is probably a good move for WN/TZ, because from my own experiences, WN has put lots of pax on the LGA-MDW flights operated by TZ.

georgiaame

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:56 am

Half of the abbreviations are Greek to me (sorry about the slur...)

But Southwest to Hawaii via Oakland, WOW. Definitely worth the trip from Atlanta over to Birmingham to make the connection.

Hey Delta, are you listening to the competition?
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

ChiGB1973
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:11 pm

Plus, BHM is so easy to maneuver in compared to ATL. If you live west of the ATL by pass plus a few miles, you are in good shape.

Of course, the people in BHM are driving to ATL for cheaper flights. Amazing.

aloha73g

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:28 pm

WOW.....they are doing Hilo to Oakland NONSTOP. Hilo hasn't had a mainland nonstop in YEARS. I was hoping Aloha would do it 1st. I wonder if Aloha is going to respond in some way to the OAK competition. I guess ATA will be more connections and Aloha will be more O&D.

The Hilo flight is VERY interesting though. A good test of whether ITO can support a mainalnd flight or not.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

atrude777

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:50 pm

So, if im understanding this HOU is now a ATA/WN connecting airport along with OAK, MDW and PHX?

Meaning any ATA east side city flying to the west to a WN city can now connect thru HOU instead of MDW?

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

drerx7

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 12):
Meaning any ATA east side city flying to the west to a WN city can now connect thru HOU instead of MDW?

Yep--which opens up all of Texas as well as more connections to the west. You can reach every city from HOU in the system with nonstop or 1 stop. I wish they would also start a flight to DCA (slot restrictions?) or other cities from Hobby. The pipedream would be for WN to turn HOU into another MDW of sorts for TZ.

flyboy7974

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:20 pm

what a second, let's go back, stations opening up in ont? what do you mean

Jamake1

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:37 pm

Ontario, California.

The press release:

Press Release Source: ATA Airlines, Inc

ATA Airlines Announces West Coast to Hawaii Expansion, New Houston to New York Service
Monday January 23, 5:00 am ET
Carrier's Initiative Brings Affordable Hawaii Travel to More Than 40 Cities Nationwide and Includes Only Nonstop Service From Hilo to The Mainland

INDIANAPOLIS, Jan. 23, 2006 (PRIMEZONE) -- ATA (ATA Airlines, Inc.) (Other OTC:ATAHQ.PK - News) today announces it is significantly expanding its scheduled service from Hawaii to the mainland. Beginning in April 2006, the carrier will offer service between the Hawaiian Islands and both Oakland International Airport, just across the San Francisco Bay, and Ontario International Airport, just east of Los Angeles. As of late May, ATA will offer an average of 11 daily and 73 weekly nonstop flights between Hawaii and five mainland cities: Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Oakland, Calif.; Ontario, Calif.; and Phoenix. In addition to these flights, ATA's codeshare arrangement with Southwest Airlines will allow customers on either carrier to reach Hawaii from more than 40 cities nationwide.

Rebuilding Core Strengths

``Today's announcement begins an exciting period for the Company as we start to refocus and carefully increase our airline's scheduled service,'' said ATA Chairman, CEO and President John Denison. ``With this announcement, we return to one of the core strengths on which ATA was built-leisure travel-while growing in a market that has been historically successful for our Company. Ultimately, it is our customers who will benefit most from the numerous affordable and convenient travel options this expansion delivers.''

Only Nonstop Service to the Mainland from Hilo

As part of this expansion, ATA is the first low-cost carrier and only airline to currently offer nonstop service between the Hawaii city of Hilo on the Big Island and the mainland. Starting April 27, 2006, the carrier will offer one daily round-trip between Hilo and Oakland. On the same date, ATA will be launching two daily round-trips to Honolulu and one daily round-trip to Maui from Oakland. These additions will double Oakland's available scheduled service to Hawaii and will replace ATA's current operations at San Francisco International Airport.

ATA will also be initiating on April 28, 2006 the only daily nonstop, round-trip service between Honolulu and Ontario International Airport, located approximately 38 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Finally, on May 25, 2006, ATA will introduce one additional nonstop flight between Honolulu and Los Angeles International Airport.

Convenient Business Travel and Codeshare Connections

ATA will also strengthen its presence in the Southwest, with two new daily round-trips between William P. Hobby Airport (Houston Hobby) and New York-LaGuardia, set to begin on April 2, 2006. ATA will be the only nonstop carrier to offer this service. At the same time, the Company will add a fourth round-trip between Dallas/Ft. Worth and Chicago-Midway.

``Our entry into Houston furthers ATA's commitment to provide its customers with more convenient and affordable business travel options,'' said ATA Executive Vice President and COO Subodh Karnik. ``It also strengthens our highly successful codeshare agreement with Southwest Airlines. This codeshare will enable our passengers to reach more than 10 cities from Houston alone and more than 50 destinations nationwide.''

Through the codeshare, customers can book travel on a single ticket for select connecting ATA and Southwest flights. After the expansion, airports where codeshare passengers and their checked baggage will be exchanged include: Chicago-Midway, Las Vegas McCarran International, Phoenix Sky Harbor International, William P. Hobby and Oakland International.

``Hawaii Travel Marathon'' Hourly Ticket Giveaway(a)

In celebration of ATA's expanded service to Hawaii, ATA is excited to launch its 24/7 ``Hawaii Travel Marathon.'' Every hour from Jan. 23, 2006, through Jan. 31, 2006, Travel Awards Members will be eligible to receive a free(a) round-trip ticket for travel from Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Calif., or Ontario, Calif., to any Hawaii destination served by ATA. Tickets will be eligible for travel from Feb. 15, 2006, to May 31, 2006. Winners will be randomly selected and notified via e-mail. Visit ata.com for more information.

[Edited 2006-01-23 14:39:23]
United's B747-400. "She's a a cruel lover."

FRA2DTW

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:11 pm

I think what's equally interesting is that TZ is adding one daily frequency MDW-DFW to the four they already operate. AA can't be pleased.

Tornado82

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:20 pm

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Thread starter):
ITO.

Hilo?

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 8):
I have been wondering why WN dosent fly ISP-HOU on their own metal.

Because ISP is not NYC.

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 9):
Hey Delta, are you listening to the competition?

Yeah, they are, and they're simply not worried with their direct flights. You want a direct flight, you pay more, simple concept. And a whole lot of people in/near ATL or CVG are going to take that direct flight convenience, along with assigned seats for the whole journey, and the widebody 767 with video IFE... versus hopping across the US out there to OAK on a Southwest 73x with no IFE, no assigned seats, and then having to connect to get to Hawaii as well. I see no reason for Delta to even flinch. It's like comparing Walmart or Old Navy to American Eagle or Abercrombie... two entirely different products, in entirely different pricing markets, and you get what you pay for.

wedgetail737

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:58 pm

OAK seems to be getting another influx of new service. Where are they going to find room? Is T2 going to be done by then?

OAK will soon have three carriers flying to HI, including AQ and Suntrips (Ryan).

On top of that, SATA is adding service to Terceira on a seasonal basis via Azores Express.

I would expect B6 to start a new route or two from OAK as well.

wedgetail737

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:31 am

I wonder what type aircraft ATA will use...most likely 737-800's on all routes. It would be cool to see the 753's on the route. I know...I'm dreamin'.

Tornado82

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:35 am

Quoting Wedgetail737 (Reply 19):
It would be cool to see the 753's on the route. I know...I'm dreamin'.

How many do they have left? I thought they all took a trip to IAH and EWR to get blue tails?

Coronado990

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:47 am

Wow! Nice to see someone picking up ONT-Hawaii again. I am wondering why no LAX-ITO and SAN-HNL as SAN is one of WN's top 10 stations and HA always goes out full.
Uncle SAN at your service!

chase

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:14 am

LAX-ITO was announced about a year ago as seasonal service, but never happened. I agree that SAN would make sense, but there have been other threads lately suggesting that SAN is close to maxing out...

ua2162

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:27 am

I don't think ITO will have the passengers to support 7 weekly flights to the mainland. Hilo does not have the resorts that neighboring Kona has; plus, Hilo only has one public golf course (a huge draw to the Big Island.) The distance to the volcano is about the same as it is from Kona. Don't even get me started about the Hilo rain.

I guess their banking on more local traffic than anything.

I'm a little biased but I find it hard to believe that they dropped their service to KOA for ITO.

However, being the only ballgame in town just might work for them.

AmtrakGuy

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:34 am

Maybe ATA will start flying to Mexico and other Carribean islands sometime down the road with connection flights from Southwest.

legacyins

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:59 am

TZ kind of reminds me of Tower Air. They keep moving around to different markets in the hopes of improving their profitability. I flew TZ SFO-Hawaii last year and there service was horrible. The "wet" towels they passed out were full of holes and I certainly did not want to refresh myself with one. I give them one or two years and then will be absorbed or will completely shut down.

Coronado990

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:34 am

Quoting Chase (Reply 22):
I agree that SAN would make sense, but there have been other threads lately suggesting that SAN is close to maxing out...

Maybe in ten or so years but not right now. Gate space is currently a problem but TZ could easily share with WN in Terminal 1 if it's just one or two flights.
Uncle SAN at your service!

wjcandee

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:13 am

Quoting Legacyins (Reply 25):
"wet" towels they passed out were full of holes and I certainly did not want to refresh myself with one.

"The Caviar that they served wasn't BELUGA, and I didn't think the capers looked appetizing." Sigh.

When I fly ATA, I get there alive and largely on time at a very fair price, with nice clean planes and very friendly cabin crews, all of whom are extremely professional and very experienced, the airline having been flying for well over 30 years. I don't get that cold poached salmon appetizer that all the majors offer in coach (oh, wait -- they don't!!), but the low fare makes up for that.

I think that these choices are absolutely brilliant: (1) although SFO made sense when ATA was going it alone, now that it is expanding its code-share with Southwest, it makes a lot of sense to go to OAK to get the connections, and I am glad that they are doing so; (2) Hobby to LGA, particularly after AA just discontinued this route, is spectacular on so many levels, and it just opens up NY-Texas in a big way through conx at HOU; (3) More Hawaii is good; it's an area in which ATA has a strong reputation, the hissy fit over the hot towels notwithstanding.

PS Maybe I just need another cup of coffee, but the whole CONCEPT of the hot towel not being hot and having holes in it is just making me crazy this afternoon. Do people actually sit there on a 5+ hour flight and suffer in silence??? If the hot towel isn't a pleasing temperature, is it too difficult to wave the f/a over and say, IN A NICE WAY, "You know, I hate to say it, but the hot towel was actually cold, do you think I could have a hot one?" Maybe the f/as didn't realize that the hot water spigot wasn't producing hot water. Maybe they did too many at once, or were delayed in bringing them out. If they did in fact screw up the service, they would doubtless want to do it right. And if they refuse, then ask to see the lead, again, in a nice way. Customers can HELP staff to get it right. Customers are WRONG to assume that if something comes out wrong that the vendor WANTED IT THAT WAY. Most of the time, they didn't. 100-percent consistency is impossible to maintain in customer service, and customers can help vendors get it right by just pointing it out in a nice way when they slip up, not "suffer" in silence then just go home and tell all their friends, "OMG, the TOWEL wasn't REFRESHING."

[Edited 2006-01-23 21:26:35]

chase

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:16 am

Crap, I meant KOA, not ITO, in my earlier post. Sorry.

ua2162

Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:54 am

Quoting Chase (Reply 22):
LAX-KOA was announced about a year ago as seasonal service, but never happened.

Actually, they served KOA for a short time. However, they stopped the flight about a month into it. UA and AA both serve LAX from KOA so that market's pretty much taken care of.

drerx7

Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting Wedgetail737 (Reply 19):
I wonder what type aircraft ATA will use...most likely 737-800's on all routes. It would be cool to see the 753's on the route. I know...I'm dreamin'.

The HOU-LGA flights are supposedly 737-300s. Besides, until the new concourse is finished the aprons at HOU aren't 757 compatible; however the new central concourse may be able to accept 757s with modest changes.

FCYTravis

Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 17):
It's like comparing Walmart or Old Navy to American Eagle or Abercrombie...

Yes, if you mean that one's a popular, value-priced store while the other's a flashy name with absolutely no substance behind it, because clothing is clothing, you've made a great point.

Wow, so DL has IFE and WN doesn't. WN has free snack packs on its long-distance flights, and DL doesn't. I'd rather have some gratis munchies and watch my own DVDs, thanks.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

Tornado82

Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:59 am

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 31):

Yes, if you mean that one's a popular, value-priced store while the other's a flashy name with absolutely no substance behind it, because clothing is clothing, you've made a great point.

Fine then....

It's like comparing a Chevy to a Mercedes.

bigb

Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:07 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 32):
It's like comparing a Chevy to a Mercedes.

If you comparing WN to SQ you have a point then, Comparing WN to DL is like comparing a Toyota Matrix to a Ford Explorer.
ETSN Baber, USN

Tornado82

Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 31):

Wow, so DL has IFE and WN doesn't. WN has free snack packs on its long-distance flights, and DL doesn't. I'd rather have some gratis munchies and watch my own DVDs, thanks.

You missed the main point of my post... It wasn't about IFE... but that's the quickest thing for WN Fanboys to jump on is that they don't need IFE. I don't either, my iPod has far better music than anyone's non-controversial, non-gender specific, watered down for kids PG-13 movies.

The main point is... DL doesn't make you stop off in Oakland. With the exception of a handful of markets, it's a non-stop/direct service from anywhere in the US to Atlanta, CVG, or SLC, then non-stop/direct to Hawaii. How many cities do ATA/WN serve direct/NS to OAK, so that it's only a single stop/connection between anywhere in the nation to Hawaii??? I'd bet the list is under 40.

If you don't mind that you may spend your whole day just hopping across the nation to get TO Oakland, before you even depart to Hawaii, just to save some money... then Southwest/ATA is your choice. If you want to only see the ground 3 times... once at your departure point, once at the hub, and once in Paradise... fly DL and pay a few bucks more.

Myself, with limited vacation days from work, if I was going to Hawaii I'd take the shortest financially feasible route available... because I want to spend my limited days on the beach, not hopping flights. But for some reason, people on airliners.net don't value their time like I do it seems.

wjcandee

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:08 pm

Just saw a nice ad in the NY Daily News for the "Texas One Step", LGA-HOU service, with an advertised price of $89. It trumpets onward conx to various named TX cities as well as MSY. Nice looking ad, with a pair of boots at the top. I note that no round trip purchase is required, which is smart. I'll be interested to see what the competitive response is.

The ATA nonstop doesn't show on Orbitz yet, but the nonstop CO one-way from LGA-IAH for April 17, for example, shows at $407. On ATA's website, both ATA flights are loaded, at $89. That's a lot of room to maneuver in and make some $$.

Best,

Bill

[Edited 2006-01-24 04:14:01]

ChiGB1973
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting Legacyins (Reply 25):
last year and there service was horrible. The "wet" towels they passed out were full of holes and I certainly did not want to refresh myself with one. I give them one or two years and then will be absorbed or will completely shut down

When I worked for ATA, all the towels are brand new, granted cheap and disposable or in a Pleasant Holidays packed, lemony, smelling towellette. I am really surprised about service. That was a Pleasant Holidays flight back then and are usually the standards are very high. Sorry for your bad experience. I hope you let someone know so something could be improved, I mean besides just fussing on here.

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 17):
and the widebody 767

I would say it would be close to 75% (a complete guess) of the flying public have no clue what plane they will be flying on when they book and a pretty similar percentage have no idea what plane it is when they walk on it. I had people get on a 738 and talk about how "huge" it is.

M

mariner

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:29 pm

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 27):
"The Caviar that they served wasn't BELUGA, and I didn't think the capers looked appetizing." Sigh.

But was the champagne Korbel?

Smile

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

N200WN

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:47 pm

I think the LGA-HOU route is going to do well for ATA. Southwest started thru MDW has been surprising to me.

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 27):
not "suffer" in silence then just go home and tell all their friends, "OMG, the TOWEL wasn't REFRESHING."

Bill that was the funniest post I've read in a long time!

Mexicana757

Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting Jamake1 (Reply 15):
ATA will be the only nonstop carrier to offer this service. At the same time, the Company will add a fourth round-trip between Dallas/Ft. Worth and Chicago-Midway.

I wonder if this is a reaction to Airtran starting MDW-DFW.

ChiGB1973
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:31 am

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 39):
I wonder if this is a reaction to Airtran starting MDW-DFW

I would say more that it is WN showing AA that they do have access to DFW. I love to start sh*t!

I wouldn't be too surprised to see TZ do a few more routes out of DFW that WN cannot do out of DAL. It may be a long shot, but I still think it's a possibility.

M

LN-MOW

Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 40):
I wouldn't be too surprised to see TZ do a few more routes out of DFW that WN cannot do out of DAL. It may be a long shot, but I still think it's a possibility.

I doubt that very much, but I'm guessing that we'll see DCA-HOU with ATA metal fairly soon. I'd love to see ATA do ATL-HOU too as this is a marked I'm sure WN would love to tap into more than just flying to BHM.

Junction

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 12):

It's interesting to note that WN is not placing their code on the new TZ HOU-LGA flights, but TZ is placing there code on WN flights out of HOU to cities within Texas. Wonder why it's not a reciprocal deal. Also, TZ only has the new flights filed for sale until 09JUN06. Is that as far as out as they would normally take bookings?

TZ4231 700A 930A 738 DAILY 02APR06 09JUN06 LGA HOU
TZ4233 330P 600P 738 DAILY 02APR06 09JUN06 LGA HOU

TZ4232 1030A 230P 738 DAILY 02APR06 09JUN06 HOU LGA
TZ4234 655P 1055P 738 DAILY 02APR06 09JUN06 HOU LGA

LN-MOW

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:23 am

Quoting Junction (Reply 42):
It's interesting to note that WN is not placing their code on the new TZ HOU-LGA flights,

They will.

drerx7

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:57 am

So they are 738s instead of the 733s--I assume they will be using gates on WN central concourse at Hobby.

bigb

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:36 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 44):
So they are 738s instead of the 733s--I assume they will be using gates on WN central concourse at Hobby.

Probably Gates 28 and 25 on central
ETSN Baber, USN