MAS777

MAS Summer Schedule Changes

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:26 am

The highlight of upcoming schedule alterations to Malaysia Airlines' Summer 2006 timetable is the removal of the leased Boeing 737-800s currently leased in.

With this, Ahmedabad, Chengdu, Kolkata and Xian revert to the A332 or A333 with no frequency changes but gain overall with extra capacity.

Other A330 changes include Beijing, which gets 3 extra weekly A333 services (from 7x to 10x week) but Chennai loses its 744 and will be replaced with a daily A333 service instead.

Mumbai, Perth's MH124/125 and Auckland all become standardised to daily 777 services, whilst Melbourne's services will see a direct equipment switch with the morning KL-Melbourne flight being operated by a 777 and the evening service switching to the 744.

Adelaide and Rome meanwhile get upgraded to the 744 from the 777 and the big news in Europe is that finally MAS will offer DAILY flights to Paris using the 744. (Wonder if we'll ever see AF code-sharing soon...)

Regionally, Yangon gets an extra 734 service a week making it 5x weekly but Phuket gets a long overdue boost with an extra daily flight making the 734s call-in to the island twice daily.

Still early days and so subject to change but doesn't look bad so far...

The777Man

RE: MAS Summer Schedule Changes

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:40 am

What about EWR-ARN-KUL, 777 or 744 ?

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

odie

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:42 am

Quoting Mas777 (Thread starter):
Melbourne's services will see a direct equipment switch with the morning KL-Melbourne flight being operated by a 777 and the evening service switching to the 744

Actually, it's the morning flight that will be operated by the B744. The evening flight will be operated by B772.

Quoting The777Man (Reply 1):
What about EWR-ARN-KUL, 777 or 744 ?

The EWR-ARN-KUL route will still be operated by B772. Summer of '05 was probably the only time where EWR had seen MH's B744. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will continue operating to EWR (and LAX as well, which was rumored to be operating at a loss since day one) when they announce their turnaround plan sometime in February.

9V-SPJ

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:33 pm

Wow, hard to believe that the flight to LAX is operating at a loss. That flight is always packed to the gills!

9V-SPJ

LAXintl

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:22 pm

Actually I've also heard on several occasions that the MAS transpacific flying has seen consistent looses.

In some ways tough, one can see the reasons.

Malaysia and KL simply do not pull near close to the amount of premium business traffic that does a nearby destination like Singapore. Same pretty much goes for tourism. I have yet to hear someone say they are headed on vacation to Malaysia from the West Coast. Much more common are countries as Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore.
In addition MAS routes its LAX flights via TPE which itself has some of the lowest fares of all Asian cities from the US.

So at the end of the day, MAS ends up carrying cheap LAX-TPE passengers and mostly lower yield connection passengers routed via KL to places like India or other South East Asian destinations.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

legacyins

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting 9V-SPJ (Reply 3):
Wow, hard to believe that the flight to LAX is operating at a loss. That flight is always packed to the gills!

A full plane does not mean they are making money. If 400 passengers are paying $1 for their flight, obviously the airline will operate at a loss. Cargo? that is another story.

behramjee

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:02 am

I am hearing that EZE will be suspended this year? Any update on that?

USADreamliner

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:25 am

Any news on South Africa?

USADreamliner

6thfreedom

Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:12 am

Quoting Behramjee (Reply 6):

Any news on South Africa?

Given the KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE routing, perhaps the whole sector will get the chop!

It's an awefully long sector..

**W***S 1:05a KUL 2:50p EZE MH 201 2-Stops 744 24:45
**W***S 8:45p EZE 6:20a+2 KUL MH 202 2-Stops 744 22:35

The twice weekly services fully utilize one B744. That same aircraft could be used to add daily services to MEL, SYD or anywhere within 9-10 hrs flying time of KUL.

odie

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting 9V-SPJ (Reply 3):

MH is competing against DL, BR, SQ and CI (all of which offer daily flights, and probably lower fares than MH, with the exception of SQ). In additiont to that, they have to compete with other carriers such as CX, JL, UA and NH for one-stop service to TPE. It's the yields that are hurting MH, not loads.

HB-IWC

Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 8):
Given the KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE routing, perhaps the whole sector will get the chop!

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the EZE-flight were to be cut. I have taken this flight on 2 occasions in the past couple of months and it is awfully long, and prone to delays. The entire rotation takes close to 54 hours, and the airline needs almost one airframe to assure the twice-weekly frequency.

I believe the crew cost is also quite considerable. The airline is operating the roundtrip with 6 different sets of crews, with crew changes in every intermediate station. When I last left on a Saturday night, the crew was to return to KUL only after me, and I spent a full week in South America.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos