FLY777UAL
Topic Author

Seat Comfort Vs Service

Tue May 30, 2000 12:01 pm

Browsing through websites today made me think about something--whether seat comfort or service is more important on long, trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights.

Would you rather have 48" of pitch in Business Class coupled with good onboard service and a lot of good food (Swissair), or have a narrow(er), 6' long, fully reclining bed with "average" service and "average" food (BA)?

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

Trvlr

RE: Seat Comfort Vs Service

Tue May 30, 2000 12:18 pm

Since I fly coach on the average all the time US airlines I would prefer either!! Actually, I would prefer the Swissair type flight because I think if you have a seat that is in anyway better than a coach seat, one should not complain.

Aaron G.

UALfa@jfk

Tue May 30, 2000 1:23 pm

Seat comfort, rather than onboard service on a long haul flight is definitely more important to me (as long as the service isn't rude or non-existent). Most major airlines offer great in-flight entertainment on their long haul routes, especially in first or business class. Not to sound ungrateful, but I know when I'm into some interesting movie or other audio/visual system, the most annoying thing is to have the cabin crew constantly interrupt me by offering some muffin, wine, or something else that I don't want.

If I'm snuggled cozily in my comfortable seat with personal entertainment, I'm happy. An uncomfortable seat, say between JFK and NRT, would make a flight miserable, no matter how nice the flight attendants are.

Tue May 30, 2000 6:13 pm

Seldom is service so abominable that it ruins the whole flight (although TWA did this to me back in 1990 or so and I avoided flying them for nearly 10 years.) I'll take more seat comfort any day.

ctbarnes

Tue May 30, 2000 9:18 pm

... Er, yes.

Charles
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Tue May 30, 2000 10:01 pm

Who say's BA's new Club World provides average food or service? Can't find fault with BA's staff, can't comment on the food in Club World!

CV990A

Wed May 31, 2000 2:12 am

I'd take a comfy seat over service any day of the week!
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

Wed May 31, 2000 2:26 am

Absolutely seat comfort first - no doubt about it. No matter how long the flight. Last year I flew Virgin LHR-MIA and back. B747-400. Outbound I was upgraded to Premium Economy (like club class) I was upstairs, in a roomy cabin with 2 abreast seating, and the wide business class type seats with the IFE screen on the seatback of the seat infront of me. It was heaven ! Inbound to LHR, I was not so lucky. I was seated in a crammed economy cabin with less than satisfactory seat pitch. The IFE and meal tray were exactly the same as those in the upper deck. But that did nothing to make the flight any more comfortable or pleasant. It's like trying to enjoy a nice juicy meal with a terrible toothache ! Anything the airline throws in is a waste of money and resources if the seat is not comfortable.