Pe@rson
Topic Author

Italian Domestic Flights

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:59 pm

There are numerous flights within Italy. Of the many passengers who fly internally, would most be businesspeople, VFR or pure tourists? Would most routes get a nice mix of all three of those?

What type of person (of those three types above) would fly from Sardinia to the mainland? Would the demand for those flights be more seasonal, or year-round?

I believe that Sardinians get some sort of lower fare to the mainland. Is this correct? How does it work?

I have only flown FCO-VCE so far.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

stirling

RE: Italian Domestic Flights

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:37 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Thread starter):
What type of person (of those three types above) would fly from Sardinia to the mainland?

Myself for one....But most of the "mainlanders" I saw in Sardinia came over with their automobiles on one of the ferries.
During the winter the Island slows way down....
Last observation, most visitors appear to be from the north of Italy.

Quoting Pe@rson (Thread starter):
I believe that Sardinians get some sort of lower fare to the mainland

I believe so...similar to Hawaiians within Hawaii....
Delete this User

TS-IOR

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:40 pm

Sardaigne is not that neglected Pe@rson !!! Of course there is strong economic ties with the main land and the daily flights between Cagliari,Alghero,Olbia and FCO,MXP...are not accessories. It is evident then that tourism is important for the island.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:43 pm

Quoting TS-IOR (Reply 2):
Sardaigne is not that neglected Pe@rson !!!

Excuse me? Whoever said it was "neglected"? Certainly not me.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

klmflyer

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:21 am

the domestic flights within Italy see a mix of several types of travellers.
trunk routes like LIN/FCO, LIN/NAP, FCO/TRN, FCO/PMO, FCO, CTA, FCO/VCE see a majority of business travellers, especially commuting on a daily basis (first flight in the morning, last flight in the evening).
most routes north to south have a huge VFR traffic along with businessmen.
of course there's a huge market for leisure and tourism, with Rome/Florence/Venice/Naples as the major airports from where to continue exploring our wonderful country.
furthermore the presence of several LCC, including brand-new Blue Express, which flies 3 times a day between MXP and FCO with fares starting at Eur9.99 one way, along with the prospected new domestic network proposed by EasyJet and Ryanair, make it very very easy, and cheap, to fly domestically, also considering that the longest flight, Milan to Catania, is only 90 minutes long (well, Milan to Lampedusa is actually the longest non-stop, but is only a seasonal flight, in summer, and that's less than 2 hours), with an average of less than 1 hours on most routes (Rome is right at the center of Italy, a sort of hub and spoke network).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos