Manta
Topic Author

UA Flight Number Change.....Why?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:47 am

Greetings,

Hopefully someone knows the answer to this question.

I was on UA 936 (B763) ORD - IAD on Jan. 20. When we got on the aircraft, the pilot gave his usual introduction and invited us to all listen along on Ch9. He then mentioned that we would now be identified as, "UA 8158 Heavy". Any idea as to the change? It was a normal flight, not a charter. Just curious...

Thanks.

Bicoastal

RE: UA Flight Number Change.....Why?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:53 am

Was your flight delayed? Flight 936 is also used for IAD to ZRH. If that flight is already in the air, then they would assign your flight a different number to avoid two flights in the air with the same number.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Manta
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:02 am

No we actually left the gate about 5 mins early and departed from 4L. We honestly didn't even stop moving from the time we left the gate to the rolling takeoff. That's why I was confused as to why they changed the flight number. We arrived in IAD 20 minutes early.

WestWing

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:24 am

This is quite common for all UA flights that are listed on the timetable as a domestic leg with "equipment change" and then an international leg.

So for ATC purposes, the flight that operates the domestic segment is often planned as UA 8xxx. Someone on this board reported once that their international leg had an 8xxx number, though this has never happened for me -- it has always been the domestic leg.

And yes, the reason is to avoid having two different aircraft with the same ATC callsign.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

RDUDDJI

Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:15 am

Quoting WestWing (Reply 3):
This is quite common for all UA flights that are listed on the timetable as a domestic leg with "equipment change" and then an international leg.

So for ATC purposes, the flight that operates the domestic segment is often planned as UA 8xxx. Someone on this board reported once that their international leg had an 8xxx number, though this has never happened for me -- it has always been the domestic leg.

And yes, the reason is to avoid having two different aircraft with the same ATC callsign.

All of this is true, plus the fact that one or two carriers somewhere over the U.S. might have the same flight number, so to make sure there's no confusion, they'll often assign another number for ATC.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

goodmanr

Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:12 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 4):
All of this is true, plus the fact that one or two carriers somewhere over the U.S. might have the same flight number, so to make sure there's no confusion, they'll often assign another number for ATC.

This happens on the IAD-LAS flight, or at least it did the two times I took it (can't remember flight #). The captain told us there was another flight with a similar flight number so we took a new call number to avoid confusion.
USAirways - Chairmans Gold

lincoln

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:51 pm

You'll also occassionally find (usually when there's a change of gauge and the first flight is delayed but the continuing flight leaves on time) a letter suffix added... I think "K" is the most common, and there are a few others that I can't recall.

The first time I heard ATC address "American 182 Kilo" or whatever I was rather confused

Edit: I should add, from what I have heard, that when a flight is "stubbed" like this if it is a four digit flight number, the first digit is dropped, for example Airline 2357 is a 737 from SAN to LAS and then a 757 from LAS to MSP. The 737 has a mechanical issue of some kind and is delayed but does eventually depart...as it turns out, no one is continuing on to MSP so the airline decides to operate that segment of the flight on schedule. Since this would mean that there were two "Airline 2357"s in the air at the same time -- and this is very bad -- the 757 segment would then be known as "Airline 357K"

:incoln

[Edited 2006-01-24 05:00:21]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

777-500er

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:51 pm

Same experience for me on UNITED 900 from SFO to FRA. We were identified as UNITED 8179.

Michael SFO
 Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos