Markdirk
Topic Author

Direction Of New US Airways?

Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:02 pm

The new US Airways CEO has publicly stated that he wants to turn the New US Airways into an LCC but still be "full service". He has already cut pets in cargo, and no unaccompanied minors on connecting flights, meal service on long haul including Alaska and Hawaii is buy-on-board only, I am not even sure if they are still serving hot meals in First/Envoy class, by cutting these services how is that "full" service? is this just the beggining? What does the future US Airways look like? --A longer range Southwest or Jetblue?

The new CEO also stated he wants a more casual type of appearance of uniforms and laid back type of operation, anyone have a clue as to what that means? To me it means they are heading in the direction of Southwest and Jetblue (not that they are bad mind you, but not the US Airways I knew).

HPLASOps

RE: Direction Of New US Airways?

Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:43 pm

I think the "new" US Airways is going to look alot like the "old" America West, only we now have hubs on the east coast and European destinations.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

centrair

Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:01 pm

An LCC with a Long Haul fleet and many different types. hmmmm Sounds funny to me.

Casual?
"Hi, US Airways this is Sally, how are you today?"
"I'm okay, and you?"
"Can't complain, but I am going to answer your question in the most casual- laid back fashion. So what can I do...for...you my good man?"
"Yes, I would like to make a reservation From Phoenix to Boston for March 10th returning on the 13th."
"Alright...Sound great. Love your idea there man. So...PDX to BOS...back in time for LOOOOOVE DAY. Hey, while in Boston you gotta go to the Italian neighborhood. Man ...great cheese."
"Yes Phoenix to Boston on March 10th returning on the 13th. Is this okay?"
"Oh yeah...morning noon, afternoon, aftertea, after you or after me? hahah Just joking, What time sir?"
"Morning. I need to be there by 2:30 in the Afternoon."
"wow...specifics....can't handle it... Let me check...hold"
(Jackie Gleason style music of classic Grateful Dead)
"Yes Sir, we have a flight that might just work for you at a nice little price of $140 Round tripperooo. Would you like to know?"
"Yes of course."
"Reeally?"
"Yes please. I am in a hurry."
"Wo...okay...relax."

"The New U.S Airways, new style just for you dude."
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

SHUPirate1

Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:20 pm

Quoting Markdirk (Thread starter):
Direction Of New US Airways?

Hopefully up and away from the runway until cruising altitude, and then down and towards the runway on approach... Wink
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

HPLASOps

Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:30 pm

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 3):
Hopefully up and away from the runway until cruising altitude, and then down and towards the runway on approach...

Nice, kind of like when George Carlin said "Sometimes they'll tell you it's a non-stop flight. Well, I don't care for that. No, I insist my flight stop! Preferable at an airport! It's those sudden cornfield and housing development stops that seem to interupt the flow of my day!"
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

FCYTravis

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:02 pm

Quoting Markdirk (Thread starter):
meal service on long haul including Alaska and Hawaii is buy-on-board only, I am not even sure if they are still serving hot meals in First/Envoy class, by cutting these services how is that "full" service?

Pretty much every major airline has the same policy re: food on flights to Hawaii, and btw, the old US Airways doesn't fly to Alaska. America West's mealtime flights to/from Alaska offer buy-on-board and meals in F. You'd better believe they're still serving hot meals in Envoy - it's still a very competitive business-class product in the transatlantic market.

As for First Class, there are hot meals on all HP/US transcons and most America West midcons - PHX-MSP/ORD/etc. They aren't as lavish as United or American FC meals, but it's still food and in my experience it's not bad as airline food goes. Shorter HP/US flights don't offer as much (light lunch/dinner or "snack basket"), and that's a definite drawback in comparison to UA/AA. But it's certainly not "Southwest."

As for the uniform style, yes, America West has always been market-positioned as "business casual" and that will translate over to the new US Airways.

[Edited 2006-01-25 09:03:44]
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

GSPSPOT

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:43 pm

Reassuring words, FCYTravis. Thanks!  Smile
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

OzarkD9S

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:34 pm

They need to work on that fare structure before I'll consider them a low-fare carrier.

Was checking fares from STL to BUR for May, nearly four months from now, and the lowest US fare was a good $75 more than WN, and more than AA, DL and UA as well.

Doubt very much if I'll be purchasing a ticket with US.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL