777fan
Topic Author

Close Call At MDW Last August...

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:17 pm

Not good for PR but probably happens there more than they'd like to admit.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/midway25.html
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

thegreatchecko

RE: Close Call At MDW Last August...

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:25 pm

It happens everywhere more often than you like to think.

These stories come out about twice a year or so, it makes for good reading. If people really knew what happens in aviation every day....well, its better they don't. People don't think twice about driving though....

And it's still the safest form of transportation!

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

APFPilot1985

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:43 pm

Happened to me the other day, (reminds me that I should write a NASA ASRS on it). I was on my way over to a runway and was cleared to taxi via A3 over runway 5-23 then via B to 14. I was merrily on my way and just before I crossed over 5-23 just past the hold short line (I always pause for a second and look both ways because a lot of training goes on at APF, and many of the students have trouble with english and get confused) as i looked left sure enough someone was on short final for 5. I slammed on the brakes as the ground controller told me and another A/C to hold position (we both had been cleared to cross the runway at different intersections) as we both were over the hold short line I have no doubt that would count as an incursion. Although in this instance it was clearly controller error, I have absolute faith in our nations ATC and have no doubt that it is the premier NAS in the world. Almost all errors I have personally experienced is a result of a pilot not paying attention.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

MarshalN

Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting TheGreatChecko (Reply 1):
And it's still the safest form of transportation!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that roller coasters are actually safer, although I suppose they don't get you anywhere...

And on this subject, I was on a flight recently that was stopped from taking off (although we were initially cleared) because we were going to be in someone else's runway when they are also taking off. It doesn't mean we were definitely going to collide -- but we were within the legal separation minimums so we aborted takeoff.

[Edited 2006-01-26 05:46:05]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos