CRGsFuture
Topic Author

MA In One World, Good Idea?

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:44 pm

Hey everyone, I was curious to know would do you guys think of the fact that it is pretty much a done deal and that MA will be a One World member, good idea or bad?

And if this was already discussed I am sorry, just post the link to the forum that has it.
Thanks
Flying you to your destination; your girlfriend to her dreams.

CRGsFuture
Topic Author

RE: MA In One World, Good Idea?

Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:08 pm

C'mon I just wanted to know opinions.
Flying you to your destination; your girlfriend to her dreams.

fewsolarge

Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:53 pm

Yes, it's a great idea. Look at a map of Oneworld hubs. Their solution in Central Europe, Swiss, was stolen away by Lufthansa. Malev is the last, best base for them in the region, and it's actually very well located.

PM

Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:02 pm

Star has LOT (and AUA) and SkyTeam has CSA. I'd guess that Oneworld needs a presence in that part of Europe. I haven't flown Malev for almost ten years but I understand they're a decent outfit. Oneworld could certainly do with increasing their critical mass to compete with the other two alliances. Interestinging that Royal Jordanian, JAL and Malev were all announced within weeks. Are there any more in the pipeline, I wonder...?

Do we see China Eastern drifting towards Oneworld in time? SN Brussels...?And where is OW in Africa?

nijltje

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:44 pm

Why should SN enter the one world alliance? Their hub is BRU and is located 150 miles from LHR!

American 767

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:56 pm

One World in Africa: British Airways has domestic flights within South Africa.

Yes, I think it's a great idea that Malev joins One World, I was happy to hear it when it was announced a few weeks ago. As PM points out, One World doesn't have yet a member based in Central or Eastern Europe. Star has Lot and Austrian, Sky Team has CSA plus maybe Aeroflot and Tarom in the future. I like Malev a lot, I flew with them nearly two years ago and the in flight service was superb. There were rumors that Malev would phase out their 2 767's this summer, does that mean they will no longer fly transatlantic? Then, if there is no more JFK-BUD direct flight, maybe American will take over that route. AA customers will be able to fly JFK-BUD on American and connect on Malev to continue to other places in Europe, the Middle East or North Africa. Likewise MA customers will be able to earn or redeem miles on their Duna account.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Ben Soriano

LO231

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:28 pm

Quoting Nijltje (Reply 4):
Why should SN enter the one world alliance? Their hub is BRU and is located 150 miles from LHR!

Not to mentioned huge presence of SkyTeam at AMS and CDG..

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

PM

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting Nijltje (Reply 4):

That's one of the reasons why. BRU is an excellent and currently underused airport. LHR is full. SNBA has a useful African network that would complement BA's. SNBA already has a wide network of flights to UK regional airports. And doesn't SNBA already cooperate closely with AA?

Mark my words... SNBA is going into Oneworld one day.  old