COEWR2587
Topic Author

What Is This At LAX?

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:40 am

Can anyone tell me what this is at LAX. It looks like miny gates/terminals but it dosen't seem accessable by pax.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matthew Hom--Frame of Mind, Inc.

Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

aerobalance

RE: What Is This At LAX?

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:52 am

Those are the remote stands. Usually occupied when the International Terminal is full - which is often.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Cadet57

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:56 am

How do PAX get to the main terminal? Also are these self sufficient? EG baggage claim?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

jetjack74

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:57 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
How do PAX get to the main terminal?

By mobile lounges to the Tom Bradley Terminal
Made from jets!

skyharborshome

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:08 am

Why did LAX not consider doing something like Atlanta and just have train service underground to a terminal? The answer will probably be "poor planning" like we usually hear but thought I would ask.
Fly CHD!

Tom in NO

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting SkyHarborsHome (Reply 4):
Why did LAX not consider doing something like Atlanta and just have train service underground to a terminal? The answer will probably be "poor planning" like we usually hear but thought I would ask.

I don't think poor planning has anything to do with the remote gates. They were likely built after the TBIT opened in the early 80's, and the logistics of operating the airport and constructing a tunnel from TBIT to those gates would have been a nightmare. Remember, the only taxiways linking the north parallels from the south parallels are just west of TBIT, and those would have had to have been put out of service during such a construction project.

Also, LAX isn't the only airport to have non-underground-connected satellite gates. In fact, if we all think long enough, we can come with some airports that were designed and constructed exactly that way.

Tom at MSY

[Edited 2006-01-26 23:27:42]
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

kaitak744

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:17 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 5):
Also, LAX isn't the only airport to have non-underground-connected satellite terminals. In fact, if we all think long enough, we can come with some airports that were designed and constructed exactly that way.

When the airport was first built (before the 1960s), all the terminals had satellite gates with underground access.

Motorhussy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:18 am

Are the remote stands cheaper for the airlines? Must be...

I've been on them at Fiumicino in Rome. Quite time consuming.

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

Tom in NO

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 6):
When the airport was first built (before the 1960s), all the terminals had satellite gates with underground access.

I edited my post to state none-underground-connected access to remote 'gates' instead of remote 'terminals'. That should clear up the point I was making.

Tom at MSY

[Edited 2006-01-26 23:34:20]
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

roseflyer

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:17 am

Remember, the only taxiways linking the north parallels from the south parallels are just west of TBIT, and those would have had to have been put out of service during such a construction project.

Actually there are is an additional set of taxiways further west. If you have a long landing roll, then you might end up using them. These pass by the remote stands and on the west side of the maintenance area for American.

If you look at this picture full sized, you can see them.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Cameron Bowerman - Airplanespotters

[Edited 2006-01-27 00:23:19]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Tom in NO

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 9):
Actually there are is an additional set of taxiways further west

Just noticed taxiway AA way out west in the sticks.....I imagine the airlines wouldn't be too happy about having to do a long taxi to get from one side to the other. In addition, it being a single lane means air traffic control logistical nightmares.

Tom at MSY

sllevin

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:12 am

Building an undergound line and a true remote terminal isn't likely to happen anytime soon -- it would be very expensive for very limited gain over the buses.

Steve

airfoilsguy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:31 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 3):

What is a mobile lounge? Is that a glorified name for a bus?
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Frontiercpt

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:54 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 12):

Ya, it is basically a bus with a few seats and a lot of poles. When you get through security, there are a bunch of ground level gates (I know 117 is one of them, thats the one I was bussed out of), and when it's to head out to the stand, the buses pull up, and they board you by seating area. Of course, since there are like, three busses, people get on different ones, so boarding by group didn't really work. When you get to the stand, you get off the bus, walk into the little building, and immediately up a ramp and then into the jetway. And of course, there are gate agents and people standing around to make sure you don't run off onto the tarmac, though it is perfectly possible lol. Also, when we took off, we taxied on that single lane taxiway, takin' the boonies! Here is a picture taken from onboard the aircraft of the remote stands.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Frontiercpt/100_1336.jpg

~Oliver~

Frontiercpt

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:57 am

I just went through the database, and found this picture that shows the bus stands for the remote stands. All the parking spaces above the SQ 777 are for the buses.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

Oliver

airfoilsguy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting Frontiercpt (Reply 13):

Ok, I think that is what I rode to the gate when I was in Sweden. But if they are going to call it a lounge they should serve drinks.  drunk 

Frontiercpt

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 15):
But if they are going to call it a lounge they should serve drinks.

Who needs drinks because that will take your focus off the 747 holding on the taxiway, just a few feet away (ok, not really)! Yay for small creature pride! Midgets represent!
~Oliver~

Boeing7E7

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:50 am

Quoting SkyHarborsHome (Reply 4):

They have:

http://www.laxmasterplan.org/pdf/Diagram_Alt-D_detailed_2015.pdf

Beat the new Mayor senseless.

OttoPylit

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:05 am

Is that an El Al 737?!? It is too small for 777 and looks too small for a 767, but how could they get a 737 there and why?

That is a neat little AE terminal. Seems like a comfortable place to work, away from everything else and a little isolated by yourself.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

airfoilsguy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:09 am

Quoting Frontiercpt (Reply 14):
I just went through the database, and found this picture that shows the bus stands for the remote stands. All the parking spaces above the SQ 777 are for the buses.

What kind of planes are those regional propjobs?

MarshalN

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:24 am

There are lots of airports that use buses, even newly built ones, like HKG. Terminal gates cost a lot of space, and if you need to have more gates without having a gigantic terminal, then buses is the way to go...

Boeing7E7

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 19):
What kind of planes are those regional propjobs?

SAAB 340's.

laca773

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:16 pm

Are the remote gates assigned on a lottery basis as needed when TBIT is full, and possibly, T2? I had heard that some airlines in the past [i.e., TG] would take a remote gate because it was less expensive and then another time I heard they were not in good with LAWC management? I'd be very interested to know how these gates are assigned?
Is it safe to say too that airlines like MX end up having quite a few flights departing/arriving from the remote areas because of the large amount of flights they have arriving and departing from TBIT, as well as AS with the large amount of arrivals that have to go through TBIT, instead of T2[which I"ve never understood?].

Have a good night everyone.
LACA773

roseflyer

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:22 pm

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 22):
Is it safe to say too that airlines like MX end up having quite a few flights departing/arriving from the remote areas because of the large amount of flights they have arriving and departing from TBIT, as well as AS with the large amount of arrivals that have to go through TBIT, instead of T2[which I"ve never understood?].

Well AS only uses TBIT for arrivals. All of their departures leave from terminal 3, so it isn't like their planes are sitting at a gate at TBIT very long. They are only long enough to deplane the passengers and go through customs formalities before getting towed across the alleyway.

Why would AS use terminal 2? Their facilities are in terminal 3, whic does not have any facilities to process international arrivals.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

as739x

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:32 pm

Let em answer some of these questions:

-The El Al plane is a 762. They operate Tel Aviv via YYZ.

-The props at the remote are American Eage Saab 340's. There is useally a jungle-jet or 2 mixed in there.

-Remote are used just about every time from 10am to 1am. There is no basis on who ends up there. Its all timing and if LAWA can not find you a gate a TBIT, then to the beach you go. Alaska gets a lot of arrivals there since some of the TBIT gates for narrow bodies can not accomodate the 737-900 due to length. The narrow body gates also can not acommodate winglet 737's. Lacsa, you are correct in that MX/AS have a lot of planes that end up out there. T-2 can not handle the amount of arrivals that AS has, thats why we do not have our Mexico arrivals there.

-The bus's or lounges are also used from T-2 when AF or Air China use a remote gate for a departure.

-The reason LAX can not to underground trains like ATL is first, its to late. Second, we live near this things called a fault line and an ocean. It would be very expensive to put in a train that is safe from earthquakes. Not to mention LAX is on the ocean and the land is a little moist. Hope this helps!

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

laca773

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:42 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 23):

RoseFlyer, I asked the question "WHY" because T2 does have custom/immigration facilities. Please check out LAX's website for further information.

Quoting AS739X (Reply 24):

AS739X, thankyou for the information. It makes complete sense to me now and I learned something new that your 739s can't use the narrowbody gates. Is it because of the length and the same with the winglets being the wingspan to being to great to accomodate at a narrowbody jetway in TBIT.
How many solely narrowbody jetways does TBIT have?
Now that AS has quite a few 73Gxs with winglets does it limit and create logistical issues with the gates you have in T3?

Have a good night everyone.
LACA773

roseflyer

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 25):
RoseFlyer, I asked the question "WHY" because T2 does have custom/immigration facilities. Please check out LAX's website for further information

I am fully aware that T2 has customs/immigrations facilities. It doesn't make sense for AS to use Terminal 2. Terminal 2 is privately owned. TBIT is for general use by airlines. AS might be one of the few US airlines to use TBIT, but the terminal is their for use. There is no huge difference between T2 and TBIT for AS since terminal 3 is right between the two.

[Edited 2006-01-27 05:14:24]

AF Cabin Crew

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Ia Orana all !

Just wanted to say that when AF flights were "house" at T5 we would sometime use the remote area.
I believe other airlines from T2 also use the remote area as I've seen VS and NZ park their planes there.
I've noticed that most of the time when we are delayed on arrival we would end up there, some times we are on time and there is another flight occupying our assigned gate and it is going to be very late we also end up in the remote area... So that could be a way they assign flights to these gates.

Happy Flying

AF Cabin Crew

View Large View Medium

Photo © HT1000

Ia Maitai to tatou tere !

JAGflyer

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:34 pm

In YUL they have the "Aeroquay" which is a terminal strip that used to be used by international flights and prop/inter-canadian flights. Now it's just Jazz CRJs/Dash8s and other small Canadian aircraft. You access it by going underground via a moving walkway. It has been around for a long time since my dad walked the exact same path when flew to ORY from YUL in the 70s.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

boeingfever777

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:04 pm

Quoting COEWR2587 (Thread starter):
Can anyone tell me what this is at LAX. It looks like miny gates/terminals but it dosen't seem accessable by pax.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...ion/read.main/2195935/6/#ID2195935
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

NorthstarBoy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:11 pm

just fyi, the plane in the pic is an SQ A345, not a 772, not to sound picky. and for some reason i thought MX had dedicated gates at LAX, everytime i taxied out past the Bradleu terminal, i saw MX flights at 122, 123 and whatnot. finally, since when does AF use terminal 2? they use Bradley, unless they've moved since i left cali a year and a half ago.

finally, as far as the satellite gates go, i suppose i have to wonder why they went to the effort to build the buildings, why not just do what alot of airports do, airstairs to the tarmac and a bus to the terminal?
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

N751PR

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:59 pm

Knowing the constant curiosity of the remote stands in LAX, I decided to make sure to take some shots before my JAL flight to KIX.

Entrance:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Skyblade04/Picture028.jpg

View of our JL 747 parked at the stand:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Skyblade04/Picture030.jpg

Walking up to the jetway:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Skyblade04/Picture031.jpg

[Edited 2006-01-27 11:04:17]
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

carledwards

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:25 pm

Nice photos; its always good to see what its like from the point of view of an everyday passenger!  Smile
Directoria

LAXintl

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:54 pm

Actually the above photos are of the 4 original remote gates dating back to the construction of TBIT back in 1984.

The original posters picture of the long thin remote gates are the newer ones built in the mid/late 1990s and are of somewhat different design with bus ramp and more modern interiors(including air conditioning) then the extremely spartan 4 older remote gates.

When TBIT was designed and built, no one envisaged the massive growth LAX would have in international traffic. Near 50% of the ticket counters at TBIT were not even occupied by airlines and due to the low usage half of the current Customs/Immigration area was boarded up and not used during the early years of the facility.
The then 4 remote gates designed at the time were really never meant for any significant use except for delayed/AOG aircraft or airlines that have very long ground times.
The current much larger remote ramp area was merely dirt and vegetation were I remember people on occasions would have fun trying to go off roading in ramp tugs!
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

VEEREF

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 30):
just fyi, the plane in the pic is an SQ A345, not a 772,

I think this has to be an A.net record. 16 posts it took for someone to correct the SQ type in the photo! Come on folks, getting a little slow are we??  bouncy 
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

airlineaddict

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:48 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 30):
finally, since when does AF use terminal 2? they use Bradley, unless they've moved since i left cali a year and a half ago.

AF moved to T2 after the KLM merger. I've been out of Cali for three years now and it shocked me too.

Back on topic
The remote gates were also used whenever there were bomb threats. I remember when SQ had a bomb threat years ago, they had to go to the "remote" part of the airport

AF Cabin Crew

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:55 am

AF moved from TBIT to T5 in early 2003 and last year we moved from T5 to T2
Ia Maitai to tatou tere !

chase

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:09 am

the logistics of operating the airport and constructing a tunnel from TBIT to those gates would have been a nightmare

They should just hire the guy who built the tunnel they discovered yesterday from TIJ to Otay Mesa  Smile

StarGoldLHR

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:13 am

Sounds like a "Passenger Waiting Experience" to me  Smile
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

Olympus69

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 12):

Quoting Frontiercpt (Reply 13):
Ya, it is basically a bus with a few seats and a lot of poles

I always thought mobile lounges were those things that carried passengers to the plane and were raised up to the door of the aircraft, thus eliminating the need for stairs and keeping passengers dry in wet weather.

Eirjet

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting COEWR2587 (Thread starter):
miny gates/terminals

The mini terminal is for mini pax  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin
Aviation has a 100% record, we've never left one up there......

Boeing7E7

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting Chase (Reply 37):
They should just hire the guy who built the tunnel they discovered yesterday from TIJ to Otay Mesa

Or hire them for this:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...ib/20060124/news_1m24terminal.html

The irony...

N1120A

Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:34 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 17):

This one is much better than the last one for the airport and transport in general

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 25):
I asked the question "WHY" because T2 does have custom/immigration facilities.

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 26):
There is no huge difference between T2 and TBIT for AS since terminal 3 is right between the two.

Not only is T3 between TBIT and T2, but AS is on the side that shares an alley with TBIT. In fact, they can just powerback or pushback one of their Mexico MD-80s/737s, turn them around and get them into their gate. The whole process can be as short as 5 minutes

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 26):
AS might be one of the few US airlines to use TBIT, but the terminal is their for use.

Actually, several carriers have used it at various times. Before an FIS was built in T4, AA used TBIT. CO currently uses the TBIT FIS for their Mexico flights because the T6/7 FIS is restricted to United's use, HP/US uses TBIT for thier Mexico flights (much to their chagrin). Not an uncommon thing
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dalb777

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:59 am

Quoting Olympus69 (Reply 39):
I always thought mobile lounges were those things that carried passengers to the plane and were raised up to the door of the aircraft, thus eliminating the need for stairs and keeping passengers dry in wet weather.

Like this one @ Dulles:

View Large View Medium

Photo © TriplET
View Large View Medium

Photo © Patrick Hakes

[Edited 2006-01-28 01:01:00]
Geaux Tigers! Geaux Hornets! Geaux Saints! WHO DAT!!!

nonfirm

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:17 pm

They filmed the opening scene for the movie airforce one at these gates.

laca773

Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):

I'm surprised to hear CO uses TBIT for their Mexico arrivals? Couldn't they use T5? It can't be that busy compared to the other customs facilities?

LACA773