USAJPNflyer
Topic Author

A Possible Airport Display....Crash Wreckage

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:40 am

Wreckage from 1985 JAL crash to go public:
http://www.crisscross.com/jp/news/362586

Inital plans are to display selected items from the B747SR inside a building at Tokyo's Haneda Airport, where the flight originated.

2H4

RE: A Possible Airport Display....Crash Wreckage

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:42 am

And to think....some airports create displays that encourage air travel...

sarcastic 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

L-188

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:53 am

Could be worse

My dad told me the story of the first time that he flew into Tuntatulak Alaska in the early 1970s, when he was interning with the state.

Anyway he remembers landing on the gravel strip and as the plane he is on is rolling out ZZZZZZIIIIIIIIPPPPP!!!! there goes a piece of wing past the airplane........ZZZZZIIIIIIPPPPPP!!!!! There goes a piece of tail......ZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIPPPPP!!!!!.....There goes a section of cabin....

Turns out at that time the perimiter of the landing field was marked out with chunks of airplanes that had bought the farm there.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jetdeltamsy

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:00 am

Now that's creepy..................
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

airfoilsguy

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:05 am

Boy that sounds like a great idea. Lets show passengers what could happen to them in the unlikely event of an air crash. What's next, mutated babies in the hospital maternity ward lobby?  banghead   boggled 
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Aeroflot777

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:06 am

I agree...Very creepy indeed! Not the greatest thing to display at an airport!

Aeroflot777

aerobalance

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:12 am

Absolutely absurd.

Administrators control the discussion forums. They can edit, delete, or prune any posts in the forums
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

altairF28

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:24 am

I think whoever came up with this may have also named the two airports in Oklahoma City. OKC is Will Rogers World Airport and the GA field (PWA) is Wiley Post Airport. There's an idea-let's name our two airports after people who died in a famous plane crash!?!?
A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons

N79969

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:31 am

That article is very misleading. They are not just going put the wreckage in their terminal. Rather JAL is establishing a "safety enlightenment center" at Haneda airport (presumably away from the terminal). The public will have to make apply in advance to visit the facility and it will be interpretive material to explain what happened what steps have been taken to prevent another similar accident.

[Edited 2006-01-28 01:39:03]

airfoilsguy

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:36 am

FYI below is what was released as the cause of the crash.

PROBABLE CAUSE: "Deterioration of flight characteristics and loss of primary flight controls due to rupture of the aft pressure bulkhead with subsequent ruptures of the tail, vertical fin and hydraulic flight control systems.
The reason for the aft pressure bulkhead rupture was that its strength was reduced by the fatigue cracks propagating in the spliced portion of the bulkhead's webs. The initiation and propagation of the fatigue cracks are attributable to the improper repairs of the bulkhead, conducted in 1978, and since the fatigue cracks were not found in the later maintenance inspections, this contributed to the accident."

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19850812-1

Tom in NO

Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:58 am

As long as it's not on general public display, access is restricted, and is to be used for educational/training purposes, I don't see a problem. However, put something like that on general display, that would be tacky.

Quoting Altairf28 (Reply 7):
. OKC is Will Rogers World Airport

Will Rogers was renown performer, actor and humorist many years ago.

the GA field (PWA) is Wiley Post Airport.

Wiley Post was a famous early aviator.

There's an idea-let's name our two airports after people who died in a famous plane crash!?!?

With that logic, would you not have renamed AMA after an astronaut (Rick Husband) who perished in the more recent Space Shuttle disaster?

Btw, MSY is named after John Bevins Moisant, whose was piloting a plane that crashed near present-day MSY around 1910-12.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

APFPilot1985

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 6):
Absolutely absurd.

Administrators control the discussion forums. They can edit, delete, or prune any posts in the forums

what the heck does that mean?
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

airfoilsguy

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:05 pm

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 11):
Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 6):
Absolutely absurd.

what the heck does that mean?

I was wondering the same thing, but I thought it might be directed at me so I kept quiet.  Smile

gift4tbone

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:55 pm

I don't see why you guys are getting all upet about this for? So, ok they aren't going to post it inside the terminal, but if they did would it really be SO bad? Think about this:

Several pieces of the WTC are in memorials all over new york, and new jersey. What would be so bad about making a memorial out of it? Personally, I think that would be better then this safety, walk-through that they are going to do.

Air crashes are important, we need to remember them, we learn from our mistakes. And in plane crashes, people sadly loose their lives in order for the rest of us to fly safer. So whats so bad with giving those who died a memorial?

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos