trb10

BA Connect Has Launched!

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:43 pm

The site has gone live and I think they have done well, I really hope it works out for them. I can now get a return from brs-edi for £30 same as sleezy to I know which I'll be flying! Good luck BA!!!

mhodgson

RE: BA Connect Has Launched!

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:57 pm

Good to see the tickets are available! At these prices I'll be flying every weekend!

Buy on board seems a little expensive, but I'd imagine its no different to any other offering.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

AIR MALTA

Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:57 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 1):
Buy on board seems a little expensive, but I'd imagine its no different to any other offering.

Well, 0,60 pounds for a Coke is not that expensive. I would go for the Pizza Slice at 4 pounds  Wink

I found an EDI-CDG-EDI for 89 pounds, is it cheap?
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

gkirk

Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:59 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 2):
I found an EDI-CDG-EDI for 89 pounds, is it cheap?

Nah, EDI lot have other choices
PIK-BVA-PIK Ryanair £30 return
NCL-CDG-NCL easyJet £30 return

Even with travelling to NCL or PIK, it'd still be cheaper than flying BA, plus you get a decent sized a/c and not a tiny ER4  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

mhodgson

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:13 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 2):
Well, 0,60 pounds for a Coke is not that expensive.

Except its a 150ml can, not the standard 330  Sad
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Baexecutive

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:45 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
Nah, EDI lot have other choices
PIK-BVA-PIK Ryanair £30 return
NCL-CDG-NCL easyJet £30 return

£89 is cheap for a return to CDG!

I pay that on a return to Manchester from Glasgow most days.

I prefer to travel from Glasgow as the journey to Prestwick then from Beauvais is too traumatic  Smile

Orion737

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:51 pm

Well we all knew what was coming! Im dissapointed. A sad day for me when I see yet another full service airline at Manchester go down the no frills route. First BD now BACitiExpress.

I will probably fly them, havent much choice unless I fly to LHR/LGW and then onwards to Europe and as much as I like my frills, I cannot see me doing that and will prob take the convenient option even if its not what I would like to buy.

BA at Man are now a no frills airline for short haul European and lets hope their cabin staff hang their heads in shame as they come collecting money for a soft drink.

gkirk

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:52 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 6):
Well we all knew what was coming! Im dissapointed. A sad day for me when I see yet another full service airline at Manchester go down the no frills route. First BD now BACitiExpress.

People had the choice and decided to use no frills airlines more and more. Airlines are adjusting to what the people want.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

pilot kaz

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:55 pm

lets hope their cabin staff hang their heads in shame as they come collecting money for a soft drink.

Yes and it was the cabin crew that decided to make the change... sarcastic 
-

Sabena 690

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:58 pm

BA at Man are now a no frills airline for short haul European

So excellent tools like Manage My Booking aren't frills for you?

Two things have changed:
1) the fares (they have lowered)
2) you have to pay for food (I personally prefer to pay for a tasty sandwich, instead of getting a 'complimentary' bag of pretzels)

I will still go out of my way to fly airlines like BA Connect, as I find perks like being able to check-in and select your seat (for free!) are important, just like the flexibility you get for example in case your flight is cancelled (rebookings etc.). No "there might be place on tomorrow's flight, come back tomorrow" Ryanair-style in case of problems for me.

Frederic

mhodgson

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:58 pm

I'm sure the cabin crew won't be too pleased, as their jobs are now devalued to a certain extent. Must be quite demeaning to go from full service with Club, to LCC.

Also, is this what passengers want, or just WW deciding what they want in order to turn a profit? I was never asked as a fairly-regular BA passenger from MAN what I wanted!

Orion737

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:05 pm

Nor have I ever been asked. So much for public consulation. I knew with WW joining BA we could expect something like this. How long before he imposes his no fills on European routes from LGW??? Its coming, I fear.

7LBAC111

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:11 pm

A sad day for me when I see yet another full service airline at Manchester go down the no frills route. First BD now BACitiExpress.

Is free food and drink all that 'full service' means in your eyes? What about OLCI and Lounge Access, Frequent Flyer schemes etc? Aren't these thrills?

and will prob take the convenient option even if its not what I would like to buy

You never buy anything, remember. Your Granny does that. She;ll be relieved, it'll cost her less to send you on your jollies now!

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 7):
People had the choice and decided to use no frills airlines more and more. Airlines are adjusting to what the people want.

Exactly. IT's basic business principles - delivering what the market wants, and adjusting accordingly.

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 10):
Also, is this what passengers want, or just WW deciding what they want in order to turn a profit?

It is what customers want, because they were turning away in their droves from mainline carriers and switching to the LCC option, Hence the demise of many routes CitiExpress once operated succesfully. Public consultation wasn't necessary - if BA hadn't adjusted accordingly, they wouldn't be here in a few years time (as a regional operator).

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

Orion737

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:16 pm

Im not the only one who doesnt pay for my own flights. Most business passengers dont either and they and I are the type of customer who are looking for a full service carrier. What now for the C class Citiexpress passengers, where will they move their business to? other European carriers serving MAN which still offer a C cabin?

Pe@rson

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:17 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 12):
Aren't these thrills?

With so many thrills, who needs frills?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Orion737

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:24 pm

Thrills? if a frequent flyer programme and lounge access get you excited, then come up and see me sometime Big grin Ill show you a thrill or two hahahah

sevenair

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:30 pm

God, its a sad world where people bitch because they can't get a 'free' sandwich on a one to two hour flight. I think this is great. You might have to even speak to the cabin crew to order your food now, instead of grunting 'yes' or 'no' at them when they ask you if you would like breakfast/lunch/dinner.

7LBAC111

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:40 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 13):
Most business passengers dont either and they and I are the type of customer who are looking for a full service carrier

You are so detached from the market Orion. Remember that. If there were all these 'C class' passengers you constantly refer too, why arent there many airlines offering this facility profitably any more on short haul sectors?

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 14):
Aren't these thrills?

With so many thrills, who needs frills?

Lol - sorry - typo. I mean't frills.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 15):
Thrills? if a frequent flyer programme and lounge access get you excited, then come up and see me sometime Ill show you a thrill or two hahahah

Erm no.  vomit   yuck 

Quoting Sevenair (Reply 16):
God, its a sad world where people bitch because they can't get a 'free' sandwich on a one to two hour flight.

Erm no - not people - just Orion.  sarcastic 

7L

Door5Right

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:43 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 1):
Buy on board seems a little expensive

£5 for a full breakfast plus coffee seems fairly reasonable to me.

I love the fact BA Connect will offer a British Afternoon tea - sandwich, scone jam and clotted cream, plus hotdrink for a mere £4.

Plus the ability to book the seat online as well.

Good Luck to BA Connect, that is what I say!
My soul is in the sky...

Orion737

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:09 pm

will sufficient meals be carried to allow all paasengers the option? Its ok if your in row 1 but what about if your further back? will you get the 'sorry, sold out'?

Concorde001

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:10 pm

Just a quick question.
For those passengers who used to fly in Club Europe and will now have to fly in Y using the 'BA Connect Plus' ticket, will these passengers actually experience a real difference? Please correct me if I am mistaken, but apart from the meal, the passengers will continue to have full flexibility, lounge access, same seat on board and the ability to earn tier points on BA Executive Club. There doesn't seem to be much difference at all to Club Europe on Citiexpress!
I've just realised, if Connect Plus passengers are allowed to use BA lounges, surely they can grab a snack and drink in there for free!
Any comments?

Orion737

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:11 pm

A big difference for the businessman. Before he got his Scotch courtesy of his company where as now it wont be included in the fare and he will have to pay out of his own pocket!!!

Concorde001

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:26 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 21):
A big difference for the businessman. Before he got his Scotch courtesy of his company where as now it wont be included in the fare and he will have to pay out of his own pocket!!!

But look how much money businessmen/women or companies will save! If I wanted to fly with CitiExpress in Feb (before BA Connect model comes in on March 26) in Club Europe with a fully flexible ticket from MAN to CDG, I would have to pay:

£626.70*

Now for the same flexibility, lounge access, same seat and tier points and no meal the new BA Connect Plus ticket would cost me:

£551*

That's a saving of about £70! Not bad for missing out on free airline food and alcohol!

*Quoted from ba.com. Fares is for one adult and includes all taxes and charges.

[Edited 2006-02-01 14:29:57]

Orion737

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:30 pm

Many business travellers arent interested in saving their company money. They utilise their expanses to the full. If they can get the wives sheepskin cleaned for nothing and claim it back on dry cleaning expenses they will!

You might find not as many suits partake of a G&T or Scotch now they have to pay themselves.

richardw

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:31 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 21):

But he can claim it on expenses anyway, like he does for his pre-flight scotch from the bar near the gate.

STARCREW

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:13 pm

BA at Man are now a no frills airline for short haul European and lets hope their cabin staff hang their heads in shame as they come collecting money for a soft drink.

its not the crew's fault more like they will hang their heads when they see you coming onboard!  bigmouth 
there is only ONEWORLD

Concorde001

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:14 pm

It seems economy passengers get a good deal too by the looks of things.
MAN-CDG rtn on CitiExpress restricted economy (lowest price) costs £109.70.
When the BA Connect model comes in March, MAN-CDG (lowest price) costs £78.

Again, not bad - but I'm sure LCCs are much cheaper. Then again, with BA Connect you get the resources of BA, especially when things go pear shaped!

skidmarks

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:14 pm

BA at Man are now a no frills airline for short haul European and lets hope their cabin staff hang their heads in shame as they come collecting money for a soft drink

Like it's their fault? Come on. I think they would rather still have a job doing that than sitting in a dole queue or sending CV's out.

I, for one, will gladly support my own airline now that it is making a positive effort to make itself work.

Don't blame the workers, look at the management.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

richardw

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:22 pm

GT (BA) at MAN is a frills service.

BA (AA) at MAN to the USA is a frills service.

I think if BA Connect is successful there might be a BA Connect Service level on some flights ex LGW.

Door5Right

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:32 am

A test booking for BHD-MAN-BHD (out 4 April, return 6 April), when clicked on two £25 flights reveals a fare breakdown of £2 plus £43.40 taxes: total £45.40.

If paid by Debit no extra charge. Visa credit card is £2 extra.

Both under the £50 mark - excellent value I think for a BA flight.
My soul is in the sky...

Concorde001

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting Door5Right (Reply 32):
Both under the £50 mark - excellent value I think for a BA flight.

It's good value I think! I've just tried to look for a one way fare from MAN-SOU and ba.com quoted me £20.50!
Not bad at all!

Pe@rson

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting Ozvirginuk (Reply 26):
Most of us (the one's who work for big companies) know only too well that keeping costs down is of paramount importance.

Yep.

Cost reduction, overall increased efficiency (which includes cost reduction and increased productivity) and rationalisation (an adaptive culture to this end and others are mandatory) are essential elements in any business. Why? You're in business to make a profit. So, then, why pay more for anything that you need to*? Despite what some people might think, cost reduction does not need to adversely affect your product; indeed, the opposite can be true - they would have more money to spend on it to make it unbeatably good and to thereby increase your all-important competitive advantages and hopefully, in turn, to increase your profit (or simply keep the same product and have bigger margins  Silly ).

* So long as it doesn't adversely affect your relationships with your essential stakeholders or your product or service.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:49 am

Well I said this in another post yesterday on another thread, but here goes...

I do not agree with the buy on board model for BA because I believe it dilutes the BA brand. No, I do not expect BA to subsidize BACX, but I do not think that this is the way to go. I fear that Wicked Willie will make other such similar changes to BA. There is a significant percentage of travellers who do not want the no-frills / low cost model, and do not mind paying a bit more for it, myself included. I sell a lot of BA for that very reason, and none of my clients are thus far impressed with this idea. One of my main concerns is to try and ensure GB Airways does not follow suit (they op. the FAO LON route where 90% of our BA sales originate.)

To compare our 2005 results: (total sales by airline)
Ryanair : EUR 432
EasyJet: EUR 11,561
BA: EUR 1,550,746

you can see why I have an interest in BA not screwing things up.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

Pe@rson

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:53 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 35):
To compare our 2005 results: (total sales by airline)
Ryanair : EUR 432
EasyJet: EUR 11,561
BA: EUR 1,550,746

What, in cents, hundreds, thousands, millions... ?

Concorde001

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 36):
What, in cents, hundreds, thousands, millions... ?

It says EUR, so I'm assuming €1,550,746 (Euros)!

Baexecutive

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:57 am

Does anyone know if the bar service on Loganair flights is free?

Pe@rson

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting Concorde001 (Reply 37):
It says EUR, so I'm assuming €1,550,746 (Euros)!

Then by that logic FR earned £293.44.  Smile

egmcman

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:30 am

Well we all knew what was coming! Im disappointed. A sad day for me when I see yet another full service airline at Manchester go down the no frills route. First BD now BACitiExpress.

If FR are good enough for Arsenal and the Jordan F1 team then I'm sure BA Connect will be ok.

Pe@rson

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting Egmcman (Reply 40):
If FR are good enough for Arsenal and the Jordan F1 team

Not forgetting that a Swedish princess flew about FR and liked it - oh, and Tony Blair and his family (they chose it over BA and U2).  Smile

7LBAC111

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:41 am

Even Eos won;t be good enough for Orion.

Strange how he has gone quiet, as usual, upon anyone challenging him!

7L

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:44 am

Ryanair : EUR 432.00 (four hundred and thirty two euros)
EasyJet: EUR 11,561.00 (eleven thousand five hundred and sixty one euros)
BA: EUR 1,550,746.00 (one million five hundred and fifty thousand, seven hundred and forty six euros)

EUR as in Euros - sorry, forgot to change my flag back - I'm in Portugal, not Libya !

Pe@rson

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:45 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 43):
Ryanair : EUR 432.00 (four hundred and thirty two euros)
EasyJet: EUR 11,561.00 (eleven thousand five hundred and sixty one euros)
BA: EUR 1,550,746.00 (one million five hundred and fifty thousand, seven hundred and forty six euros)

EUR as in Euros - sorry, forgot to change my flag back - I'm in Portugal, not Libya !

Ooooh I see. I thought you were trying to say that FR earned 432 EUR in 2005.  Silly Not your firm. OK.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:56 am

OK, Pe@rson, sorry for any confusion !!

I was just trying to illustrate why I have concerns about the direction of BA and why I would prefer them not to go the LCC route.

DavidT

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 13):
What now for the C class Citiexpress passengers, where will they move their business to? other European carriers serving MAN which still offer a C cabin?

Or connect thru Hellthrow...

Quoting Door5Right (Reply 18):
£5 for a full breakfast plus coffee seems fairly reasonable to me.

I love the fact BA Connect will offer a British Afternoon tea - sandwich, scone jam and clotted cream, plus hotdrink for a mere £4.

Here's an idea BA - why not add £5 to the cost of every morning flight and give everybody a breakfast.

Same with afternoon flights, add £4 on and give everybody some food. The prices are still low enough to be LCC ish yet you can advertise free food.

richardw

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting DavidT (Reply 46):
Here's an idea BA - why not add £5 to the cost of every morning flight and give everybody a breakfast.

Because the market has changed, people now expect a keenly priced fare.

DavidT

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:40 am

Although adding just an extra £5 wouldn't rise the price too much would it?

If you were quoted £27 and £32, mentally they're about the same. The worst case scenario would be £30 and £35 - although imo that's still worth it.

richardw

Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:53 am

FR and U2 and also GOE changed the market, BA has recognised this, a £10 headline reduction on a return fare is significant in the low fares climate now.

Orion737

Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:01 am

I went quiet 7LBAC111 because I was visiting a friend in hospital. Fancy joining him in the next bed? Big grin No? less sarcasm then buggerlugs

trekster

Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:07 am

Good luck BA Connect. Hope it changes the ways citiexpress have been the past year or so, losing money, but offereinga great service.

At work today we had a BA Ballon Smile Even got to go up in it. Weather not good, frozen to death, but got some great shots of it, cant say i have ever seena BA Coloured baloon before.
Getting the pics on my site, so go have a butchers, will update this with the address as soon as there all in there
Where does the time go???

Orion737

Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:10 am

BA and Willie Walsh are full of hot air at the moment.