skywatch

HB-IGH About To Come To AUS..why?

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:09 am

Swiss-registered HB-IGH (DC-87) arrived in SAT in October, and is now filed to fly SAT-AUS. The fligth plans are strange and it has already been delayed, but what was it doing in SAT for three months? I know a few planes have stayed at SAT for maintenance. Was that the case fro BH-IGH? Any pointers on this would be appreciated!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tom Turner

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

LN-MOW

RE: HB-IGH About To Come To AUS..why?

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:22 am

Sounds like a D-check .. or worse. The flightplan is probably a testflight.
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

OPNLguy

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:22 am

They do alot of heavy MX work at the old Kelly AFB (SKF). Alot of Airborne Express' old DC-8s were parked there for upkeep, so it seems reasonable that HB-IGH was there for a major check of some kind.

The flight plan showing in FlightAware is Seattle-Moscow, which doesn't make much sense if it's in SAT headed for AUS. Coming out of MX, a test hop would be likely, but SKF-SKF would make more sense than SAT-AUS.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

YukonTrader

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:25 am

Hi Skywatch

MX, and a sharp new coat of paint - according to what a crew member of said Bird told me a few weeks back when we accidentally ended up at the same table in a small airfield coffee shop somewhere in alpine Switzerland...

The DC-8 was actually expected to return to BSL around January 20, so I already started wondering where the heck it was hiding. Thanks for your post about the delay and the imminent SAT - AUS flight, looks like us local spotters here need to go on a closer watch now  Wink

Cheers, Lukas

skywatch

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:34 am

Something just occurred to me...the delay is most likely due to the foul weather in the area right now. And yes, it has not been anywhere but SAT since November. It flew from LFSB-KSAT in November.
A test flight is the most likely explanation, becuase I noticed a return flight AUS-SAT is also scheduled.

---Skywatch

skywatch

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:01 am

She just landed in AUS. A flight to SAT is already filed. Welcome to AUS HB-IGH!

---Skwyatch