PRGLY
Topic Author

OS To Iraq, Erbil, Who Ll Be The Next

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:18 pm

OS is offering first regular scheduled flights to Erbil, Iraq, eff 27MAR twice weekly with A319 from VIE, making it trice from 02MAY. It is the first scheduled service to Iraq after the war (if it can be considered as finished already) available in GDS. Your thoughts guys, who ll be the next .....
just fly - it is nice

macc

RE: OS To Iraq, Erbil, Who Ll Be The Next

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:24 pm

I would much like to know about the loads on these flights...
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

Pe@rson

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting Macc (Reply 1):

The fares are predictably very high, so if they can get sufficient bookings...

London-Baghdad is a definite (at some stage) and possibly London-Basra (less certain). London-Kabul is also bound to happen at some stage.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

FinnWings

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:39 pm

I really would like to know who is going to guarantee the safety of these flights?? Even considering of the operation to the such a restless country shows that management does not care the safety of their employees or passengers. The passengers does have a choice, but employees doesn't as they are living according to flight roster.

Best Regards,
FinnWings

backfire

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting Macc (Reply 1):

I'm supposed to be on a preliminary test-flight on the route, 12 Mar.  eek 

Trvlr

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting FinnWings (Reply 3):
I really would like to know who is going to guarantee the safety of these flights?? Even considering of the operation to the such a restless country shows that management does not care the safety of their employees or passengers. The passengers does have a choice, but employees doesn't as they are living according to flight roster.

Keep in mind that the situation in Iraq remains relatively localized. The northern, mostly Kurdish region has actually enjoyed a rather productive period of autonomy since well before the U.S.-led invasion of the country in 2003.

To put things in perspective for you, it is akin to airlines flying to any number of destinations in conflict-affected countries--Addis Ababa in Ethiopia, Tel Aviv in Israel, just to name a few. Obviously, though, foreign aircraft won't land, say, near the Eritrean border when they go to Ethiopia. They'll fly to ADD.

Aaron G.

N774UA

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:30 am

IIRC Alexandair of Greece flies the routing Amsterdam - Heraklion - Erbil a couple times a month.

N774UA
...follow his instructions, switch off at the stand.

A342

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:46 am

Does Erbil even have an IATA code ? I could just find the ICAO code "ORER".
Exceptions confirm the rule.

bahadir

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:00 am

Fly Air has been successfully operating some flights to Northern Iraq. The loads are so high that they switched from EMB145s to MDs. They sell a lot of tickets with very high fares because of a lot of people from Northern Iraq have relatives in Germany.
Earthbound misfit I

PRGLY
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting A342 (Reply 7):
Does Erbil even have an IATA code

well I had the same problem, airlinecodes.com showed nothing, OS declares it as EBL, hope will be recognized in the future
just fly - it is nice

Humberside

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 2):
possibly London-Basra (less certain).

I think such a route is inevitable since it is in the British area. There will probably be UK troops there long term and this will have developed links between the area and the UK for construction and security companies.

Also Basra is safer than Baghdad so could see regular scheduled flights before Baghdad

I would also possible expect LON-Erbil in the future for the Kurdish community in the UK
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Pe@rson

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 10):
I think such a route is inevitable since it is in the British area. There will probably be UK troops there long term and this will have developed links between the area and the UK for construction and security companies.

Also Basra is safer than Baghdad so could see regular scheduled flights before Baghdad

I would also possible expect LON-Erbil in the future for the Kurdish community in the UK

I did think about Basra in those terms, but I wasn't that sure.

What sort of frequencies?

Would there be much transportation of cargo from the UK to Iraq and vice-versa? This would help determine the aircraft type, not least because London-Baghdad would probably take about 5 hours out and 5 1/2 back - so within the range of a 320/321/757 - no, I'm not saying that those are the necessary types. If there's a sufficient cargo demand, then the 763 seems a likely choice.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."