gritzngravee

Plane Hits Deer During Landing

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:32 am

They do have a perimeter fence as it states in the article. Then how are they getting in? Very dangerous!!!!!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/6683844/detail.html

deltagator

RE: Plane Hits Deer During Landing

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:39 am

You ever seen how high a deer can jump? Quite high. Deer are a big problem in the Southeast. Because of hunting regulations the population has exploded. At the same time urban sprawl has begun to encroach more and more on their habitat causing issues as well. The limits should be raised for hunters to try to control the population. Urban sprawl will continue to be an issue but that will be much harder to control.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

breiz

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:18 am

Here the proof: deer can't fly  Smile

satx

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 1):
The limits should be raised for hunters to try to control the population. Urban sprawl will continue to be an issue but that will be much harder to control.

Weren't hunters the ones who were allowed to kill everything that previously kept the deer population in check? Yeah, that must be the answer. Just keep killing and encroaching until there's nothing left. I like it.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

norcal

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:28 am

You ever seen how high a deer can jump?

A deer managed to jump over our 8ft fence and into our yard, why I don't know, but it broke 2 of its legs in the process

L-188

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 am

Has happened before. Jimmy Johnson of the Dallas Cowboys damm near got killed hitting a couple of them.

Quoting SATX (Reply 3):
Weren't hunters the ones who were allowed to kill everything that previously kept the deer population in check? Yeah, that must be the answer.

Actually it would have been the wolves and the bears, but over the last century those predators have been killed off. The only one left is man.

Besides hunting isn't bad, venison is good eating, and you usually don't have to worry about all the hormones and drugs that cows get shot up with.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

gritzngravee

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:42 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 3):

Weren't hunters the ones who were allowed to kill everything that previously kept the deer population in check? Yeah, that must be the answer. Just keep killing and encroaching until there's nothing left. I like it.

That's what I thought as well!!!!

deltagator

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting NorCal (Reply 4):
A deer managed to jump over our 8ft fence and into our yard, why I don't know, but it broke 2 of its legs in the process

My parents have a 6 foot high fence around the family vineyard and there are always deer in it grazing. As a nuisance animal we can shoot and kill them whenever we want but must bury them and can't use them for food.

Quoting SATX (Reply 3):

Simmer down Sparky. Of course we haven't been too good in coexisting with other animals suc as bears and wolves. We are starting to learn our lessons and doing better but some of the controls on hunting should be lifted. I'm not saying get rid of all of them and let anyone shoot however many they want. Raise the limits is one way to control it better. Urban sprawl is inevitable but Bessemer is an industrialized area of Birmingham that has been there for years so it isn't really the reason behind this incident. I was giving some reasons why deer could have been in the airport but you have responded with a smartaleck comment. Why not make a suggestion instead of just attacking?
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

JAXFLL

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 3):
The limits should be raised for hunters to try to control the population. Urban sprawl will continue to be an issue but that will be much harder to control.

What an ignorant statement. Proper hunting is done to manage the population of animals. Let's say hunting stopped tomorrow. What would happen? The population of deer would increase. The deer population would continue to increase until the area of land that they lived on could not support the population (lack of food, water, etc). The deer then move into other areas to find food, water, etc. The deer would eventually eat up enough of the food that it could not support the population of deer - then deer die of starvation.

I don't know if you realize it or not, but where you live used to be some animal's habitat. Don't like the fact of urbanization of areas and hunting? Give up your land first.

As for the deer on the airport - not a big surprise. It's an open area with little/no predators in the area. A perfect place for an animal to go. It's not much different than when birds are flying around an airport.

db373

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):
Why not make a suggestion instead of just attacking?

Quoting JAXFLL (Reply 8):
What an ignorant statement. Proper hunting is done to manage the population of animals.

What I find funny is that it's okay for humans to kill innocent deer, but when a mother bear attacks and kills a stupid idiot who decides they want the child bear-cub to take home with them as a souvenir, we label the mother a ferocious species and kill it. How messed up is that?
Keep Delta My Delta

Tornado82

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
Actually it would have been the wolves and the bears, but over the last century those predators have been killed off. The only one left is man.

Or, you can be like the geniuses at the Pennsylvania Game Comission. Reintroduce coyotes to those areas! In the past 5 years, hundreds of family pet dogs, and hundreds of farmers' sheep and cattle have been killed off by these bloodthirsty packhunters, and a dozen or so humans have been attacked while walking through the woods, being in their backyards, etc.... all because Pennsylvania thought it would be a "natural" way of controlling the deer population.

ChiGB1973

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:42 am

I lived in Birmingham for a while and grew up in south Alabama. I have been to the Bessemer Air Show and been to a helicopter crash out there as a paramedic. All the woods around there probably have some prize bucks.

I have seen many deer walk up to a fence and hop right over it, no running, just jumping.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/mammal/fawn.htm

Don’t let their skinny legs fool you. Deer are able to run up to 40 miles per hour, jump 9 foot fences, and swim 13 miles per hour. Wow, that’s fast!

I was going to guess a 10' fence would be enough, but had to look and see if I could find any facts.

I see a few on occasion near the forest preserves around Chicago and it's such an awesome sight. I do miss the country.

M

bond007

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:57 am

Actually second 'Deer Hit' in the same day:

2006-02-02 902NS C172 Accident (Damage Substantial) BIRMINGHAM,AL
ACFT HIT A DEER AT TAKEOFF WHICH BENT THE GEAR, DIVERTED AND ON LANDING, SKIDDED OFF THE RWY, BIRMINGHAM, AL

2006-02-02 956SB BE55 Incident (Damage Minor) CLARKSVILLE,TN
ACFT ON DEPARTURE STRUCK A DEER AND THE GEAR COLLAPSED, CLARKSVILLE, TN

Credit: http://icarus.red1aviation.com/jsp/accident.jsp?mode=all

Jimbo

[Edited 2006-02-02 23:59:45]
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

deltagator

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:37 am

Quoting Db373 (Reply 9):
What I find funny is that it's okay for humans to kill innocent deer, but when a mother bear attacks and kills a stupid idiot who decides they want the child bear-cub to take home with them as a souvenir, we label the mother a ferocious species and kill it. How messed up is that?

Well I wouldn't consider deer to be innocent when they are eating our grape vines thus hurting our income source and profits.

As for your bear argument how often has that even happened? Plus anyone who would do that deserves to get mauled.

Unfortunately (for the animals) we are the top of the food chain given our technological advances (and opposable thumbs) over the animals. It sucks that such a bear would be labeled as dangerous and be shot. Peraps they should be taken somewhere away from humans. Unless you just want us all to crawl back in a cave we are always going to have issues coexisting with wild animals.

ETStar

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:44 am

For all those "Africa is backwards" people who bring up cows at Port Harcourt everytime Nigerian aviation is discussed, turns out the issue also exists in your backyard  Smile I will be sure to bookmark this thread!

dragon-wings

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:07 am

This thread reminds me of a Bill Engvall "here's your sign" joke. I don't remember exactly how it goes but it's something like this.

Bill is on a small plane that hits a deer after landing. He calls his wife to tell her the news, and his wife goes.....were you on the ground when you hit the deer? Bill then says, nope we ran into santa at 30,000 feet! Here's your sign.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Lumberton

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:12 am

If this would have happened in Texas, someone would have grabbed the road kill and had it processed immediately!  Big grin
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

AirCop

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:40 am

Shoot, I was a passenger in a North Central CV580 when we struck a moose that strolled onto the runway while we were landing. The poor 580 needed some first aid to get it flying again.

L-188

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:42 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 17):
Shoot, I was a passenger in a North Central CV580 when we struck a moose that strolled onto the runway while we were landing. The poor 580 needed some first aid to get it flying again.

I can imagine. That is 1000 lbs or so that the plane hit.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dtwclipper

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:10 am

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

chrisnh

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:12 am

"Doh! A Deer! A female Deer!"

MDorBust

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 3):

Yes, the Georgia dragon hunting season has been vicious this year...

Wink
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

gunsontheroof

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 13):
Well I wouldn't consider deer to be innocent when they are eating our grape vines thus hurting our income source and profits.

Deer don't understand capitalism. They do however, have a very strong understanding of food. I suggest a fence.  Wink

Any word on whether or not the deer was OK? I'm sure we're all very concerned...

checkraiser

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:26 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 10):
Or, you can be like the geniuses at the Pennsylvania Game Comission. Reintroduce coyotes to those areas! In the past 5 years, hundreds of family pet dogs, and hundreds of farmers' sheep and cattle have been killed off by these bloodthirsty packhunters, and a dozen or so humans have been attacked while walking through the woods, being in their backyards, etc.... all because Pennsylvania thought it would be a "natural" way of controlling the deer population.

checkmark 

The Wisconsin DNR decided to reintroduce wolves here about ten years ago. They reproduced faster than expected and we now have the same problems (except no reported attacks on humans.) Quite a few domestic dogs as well as all sorts of livestock have been killed by these wolves. I guess we forgot why our citizens killed them off 100 years ago.

Oh, and our deer populaton is stronger than ever.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

bhmbaglock

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 16):
If this would have happened in Texas, someone would have grabbed the road kill and had it processed immediately!

There's a good chance it happened here as well. We took out a nice sized turkey with a 182 in Tuskegee once and it was mighty tasty! The airport manager didn't much appreciate it, she's a vegetarian who actually kept a turkey as a pet.
Where are all of my respected members going?

lincoln

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:59 am

There was a discussion in Tech/Ops recently and a (commercial -- think it was a Beech 1900) pilot who was involved in a deer strike chimed in... It happens.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Tornado82

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 24):
The airport manager didn't much appreciate it,

Tough shit, it's your plane!

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 23):
(except no reported attacks on humans.)

Boss at my internship 2 summers ago was one of the attackees. He was training beagles on flushing rabbits and they tried to attack him and the dogs. He never walked into his woods without a gun though (bear country) and there were 4 less coyotes in the mountains of Fayette County, PA. The one dog needed stitches though. The big problem (like wolves) is that they hunt in packs.

Quoting ETStar (Reply 14):
For all those "Africa is backwards" people who bring up cows at Port Harcourt everytime Nigerian aviation is discussed, turns out the issue also exists in your backyard Smile

Except cows are supposed to be domesticated, deer are wildlife.

deltagator

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 22):
I suggest a fence.

Read farther up. I said we had a fence all around the property. Unfortunately not enough it seems.

Tornado82

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:14 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 27):

Read farther up. I said we had a fence all around the property. Unfortunately not enough it seems.

You'd need about a 12 footer to be honest, or maybe a 10 footer plus barbed wire, but that's kind of cruel

deltagator

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 28):
You'd need about a 12 footer to be honest, or maybe a 10 footer plus barbed wire, but that's kind of cruel

Nothing's too cruel for them. I've suggested that we hang a few of their carcasses around the vineyard as a reminder to the herd but the damn things are too stupid to understand.

ETStar

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:42 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 26):
Quoting ETStar (Reply 14):
For all those "Africa is backwards" people who bring up cows at Port Harcourt everytime Nigerian aviation is discussed, turns out the issue also exists in your backyard Smile

Except cows are supposed to be domesticated, deer are wildlife.

Yeah yeah yeah...

SkyWestFan

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:51 pm

Yikes.....

You should see the problem we have at Mooney airport in Butte MT. We've had 4 strikes in the last 18 months. Two Horizon Q400s, a SKW CRJ, and a Cessna 340.

Ever try cleaning up an aircraft so the px dont throw up before they deplane. NOT FUN!!!

Fish and Game has a contract to shoot 15-18 deer a year on the field. Guess they missed a few.

SKW
MarcF
Fiji. Its like sex - but better.

bhmbaglock

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:15 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 26):
Tough shit, it's your plane!

Actually, it was hers. Just put a small dent in the leading edge about 6" inboard of the strut. Made one hell of a racket!
Where are all of my respected members going?

DeltaGuy

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:56 pm

I used to work at Cecil Field here in Florida...deer all over the place. Airport ops used to go out and bag 8-10 deer a night, since there's well over 15,000 acres of open forest surrounding the airport, and there's no fence near the actual runways...only on the perimeter of the base.

One night, we had a G-IV come in...a deer was running across 36R at the time, stopped, and looked at the jet like, well, a deer in the headlights. The aircraft literally split the deer into two with the right main mount. The gear door was hanging on by a thread, and there was blood/gore/fur rammed into the wheel well and every possible crevice you could imagine, and the underside of the wing was soaked with blood. They had to safety wire the gear down, remove the door, and flew the jet gear-down up to SAV for Mx. Fun for all involved.

Needless to say, the offending deer was found dead on the runway later that night after a brief search..it now resides in an alligator's stomach somewhere in those woods  Wink

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Devil505x

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:31 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 33):
Airport ops used to go out and bag 8-10 deer a night

I know this used to happen at my local airport until the those hippie animal rights activists got wind of it and then it became more important to protect the animals rather than the people on the airplanes. A few years ago they had a raffle for a few hunting licenses allowing you to hunt on the airport during a selected 2 day period but there were so many places in the airport perimeter fence for the deer to escape, jump over, or squeeze through I don't think it was too successful.
There was a time too here at AVP when a US 737 hit a deer and the pilot had no idea what happened until the ramp crew saw blood and hair all over the side of the plane.

deltagator

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:49 pm

I used to work at Cecil Field here in Florida

When was that converted from a military facility? I know it's been a wile now but I just don't remember.

it now resides in an alligator's stomach somewhere in those woods

Ever get an alligator on the runway? That would be interesting. I'm surprised we don't hear about that happening more often down there. MCO has a ton of swampland around it that must be crawling with gators. And wasn't there an issue at the shuttle landing facility a little while back where they had to go chase some gators off of it?

ChiGB1973

Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:38 am

Cecil Field here in Florida

a G-IV come

up to SAV for Mx

How lucky is that to happen so close to SAV, if you have to look at a good side of it?

Quoting Devil505x (Reply 34):
hippie animal rights activists

I guess the deer being maimed or killed by an aircraft, not to mention the risk of human life is better. I suggest they use their funds to build a fence around all airports at least 10' tall to help prevent this. Start taking money out of their pockets and they back down, not much, but a little.

M

chris133

Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:52 am

There have been numerous deer strikes on the BWI airfield. One nasty one was in '01 when WN's California One hit a deer with the number one main gear. MX spent a good part of the night scraping cooked meat off of the brakes. I also have a great pic of a 40 lbs. Beaver we caught on the ramp as well.

baw716

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:19 am

An unfortunate accident.

OK, we know the pilots OK...what about the deer? No news there. Hmmm. Not good. They should at least report on the condition of the deer (which I suspect is not good).

It gives the term "deer in the headlights" a whole new meaning  Sad

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

gritzngravee

Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 35):

Ever get an alligator on the runway? That would be interesting. I'm surprised we don't hear about that happening more often down there. MCO has a ton of swampland around it that must be crawling with gators. And wasn't there an issue at the shuttle landing facility a little while back where they had to go chase some gators off of it?

I could've swore I've seen signs along the taxiways at MCO where they have the water retention ponds in between the taxi ways. Where the signs read danger Alligators with a picture. That was a while ago in the late 90's so maybe they have removed all of the gators off the airport property.

DeltaGuy

Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Gritzngravee (Reply 39):
That was a while ago in the late 90's so maybe they have removed all of the gators off the airport property.

Haha, hardly...when they were building 17R/35L, they found a whole bunch of huuuuuge gators...12 footers, big ones like that. They just lived in that woodland area until they were disturbed pretty much.

When was that converted from a military facility? I know it's been a wile now but I just don't remember.

1999...they wanted to reactivate it, but apparently 2,000 rednecks can influence the mayor into saying we don't want it...the base is literally in the woods.

Ever get an alligator on the runway? That would be interesting.

Saw one out there too, on a taxiway...surprised that I haven't seen any ones at MCO.

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 36):
How lucky is that to happen so close to SAV, if you have to look at a good side of it?

Very lucky in fact, just a quick hop up the coast. Even if they only maintained 150 or so (whatever Vlg is), they're still going faster than most cessnas, and can make the trip in an hour or so. Gulfstream had a 3 mechs down here the next morning, they had the jet wired up and flew back with it...pretty damn good customer service if you ask me- then again, you get what you pay for.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

andrewuber

Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:11 am

FlexJet almost lost a Challenger to a runway deer strike in 1999. I don't remember which airport it was - I know it was out west though. The deer ran across the runway as the aircraft was touching down, and it did major damage to one wing.

I'll see if I can dig up more info...

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

N908AW

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:11 am

Quoting Db373 (Reply 9):

Not messed up at all. Actually, it all depends on whether or not you believe in this

Quoting The Bible:
26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, [a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!