max999

CO Domestic Y-Class Meals

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:10 am

I haven't flown CO mainline in several years and I've got a trip coming up. The outgoing flight is listed as breakfast and return flight has dinner. What do these meals consist of?

Thanks in advance.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

DL4EVR

RE: CO Domestic Y-Class Meals

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:11 am

What are the departing and arriving cities of this flight?
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

max999

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:12 am

EWR-SEA breakfast
SEA-EWR dinner

DL4EVR

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting their website:

"Beverages and a snack basket containing cold breakfast items will be offered for Breakfast. A fresh hot sandwich snack basket will be offered for Lunch or Dinner."
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

corey07850

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:16 am

Breakfast will most likely be something small like cereal and some fruit, and maybe a muffin thrown in.

I've never had a CO mainline "dinner" in Y class so I can't say.

ARGinLON

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:20 am

Breakfast: bowl of corn flakes, milk, a banana and coffee.
Diner: Not sure but probably a hot sandwich

max999

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:23 am

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 5):

I think it'd be more accurate if CO called these a snack, versus breakfast or dinner.

Orion737

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:27 am

I agree it sounds more like a snack to me too, however, compared to most other US carriers, Continental is providing a feast, a banquet!

turnit56N

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:34 am

Breakfast is what everyone else said.
Dinner:
Small cold sandwich, either turkey or ham
Bag of carrots or potato chips
Candy bar or bag of M&Ms

No, it's not much of a dinner, but it's a good sight better than you'd get in economy on most US airlines' domestic flights.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

Cory6188

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:37 am

Actually, because it's a transcon, you will most likely receive the following:

Breakfast: Chances are you will get a sort of Egg McMuffin sandwich, with yogurt and a small fruit cup on the side. The main item may vary, but you're almost guaranteed to get the yogurt and fruit. There may also be something else; I don't remember completely from when I flew EWR-LAX a while back.

Dinner: There is a rotating possibilty of what the main item will be: it could be a cheeseburger, turkey pastrami sandwich, four cheese stromboli, or something similar, along with a salad, some potato chips/Fritos/etc., and either cookies or chocolate.

turnit56N

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:25 am

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 9):
Dinner: There is a rotating possibilty of what the main item will be: it could be a cheeseburger, turkey pastrami sandwich, four cheese stromboli, or something similar, along with a salad, some potato chips/Fritos/etc., and either cookies or chocolate.

Hey, I forgot about the transcon menu! I normally seem to get stuck in the jumpseat on those, but I do remember warm cookies. I also remember having some excellent sundaes, but I think those were from First.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

EWRSTEW

Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:17 pm

Cory6188 is pretty much correct.. I will be working a flight to SEA this month from EWR. I get a little suspicious though when the sandwich does not list ingredients!

TACAA320

Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting Max999 (Thread starter):
The outgoing flight is listed as breakfast and return flight has dinner. What do these meals consist of?

You may be interested to take a look @ The Vegas Trip-going Home + Lots Of Pics (by Checo77 Jan 11 2006 in Trip Reports)

A picture there shows a CO's "meal" [looks like a snack, not like a meal] in a domestic route.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

satx

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:02 am

They had small turkey & cheese sandwiches (served hot) on a flight from IAH to LAX. It was edible but if any restaurant served it you'd probably demand a refund. If you want better food just get something from the airport or eat at your destination. I can go 8 hours without eating any day of the week, so unless the flight is greater than 8 hours I rarely eat on the plane anyway.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

CO767FA

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting Max999 (Reply 6):
Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 5):

I think it'd be more accurate if CO called these a snack, versus breakfast or dinner.

Why? Because most Americans are used to the "SUPER Size" of everything?

Quoting SATX (Reply 13):
I can go 8 hours without eating any day of the week

You can, but as we all know our bodies should have 6 smaller meals throughout the day, rather than two or three gigantic size meals!

Avianca

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting Max999 (Reply 6):
think it'd be more accurate if CO called these a snack, versus breakfast or dinner.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 7):
I agree it sounds more like a snack to me too, however, compared to most other US carriers, Continental is providing a feast, a banquet!

well for it sound like a complete breakfast, and its enough or?
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

KabAir

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:15 am

I'm flying DEN-EWR-MHT soon on CO and checked out the meals on their website. IIRC, they were pretty straight forward about calling what I'd get "a hot sandwich snack" or a "cold sandwich snack" - they didn't try to make it sound like you'd be getting a full meal. Still, I could fly a different airline and get a "stale bag of pretzels snack" - point being don't expect the CO "meal" to be some huge thing, but also don't forget that it's a whole lot more than what you'd get on another airline. I think it's nice actually, at least the snack will give me a little boost 'til I arrive in MHT.
wow, there sure are a lot of expert economists on this forum....

md90fan

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:28 am

I flew CO last november LAX-IAH (morning) and I got cornflakes, a banana and orange juice/coffee
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

satx

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting CO767FA (Reply 14):
You can, but as we all know our bodies should have 6 smaller meals throughout the day, rather than two or three gigantic size meals!

If you're eating six meals a day, then a glass of orange or tomato juice is probably almost a meal in-and-of itself.

Don't get me wrong though, I actually like the idea that CO still serves meals. It's quaint, and it's certainly not any worse than any other meal in Y (this is coming from my limited experience with intercontinental flights since most/all other US carriers don't serve meals in Y unless you're flying long-haul).
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

malaysia

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:52 am

I had a bagel, fruit, yogurt LAS-EWR for breakfast

and a Hot BBQ Pork Sandwich with Chips and cookie on EWR-LAS for dinner
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

codc10

Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:11 am

Only EWR-CA/OR/WA and YVR (when it's on the schedule) get the "transcon" level of service. This includes LAX/SFO/SEA/SAN/PDX/SNA. DEN/PHX/LAS and their ilk are catered differently.

Breakfast is as Cory spoke of, served on a tray. Hot breakfast item with yogurt and fruit.

Dinner consists of the standard CO hot sandwich (rotates through those mentioned, along with several others), served on a tray with a salad and dessert item.

Note than non-transcon flights (in excess of 3.5 hours) receive a similar meal, including hot sandwich, salad, and dessert item, packed into the new black meal boxes.