ETStar
Topic Author

Ethiopian Airlines New Destinations, Summer Sched!

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:36 pm

Great news! Ethiopian is introducing Brussels in Belgium, Libreville in Gabon, Juba in Sudan, AND Dakar, Sénégal taking effect in the summer. Also many increases in service including Amsterdam, Stockholm, London Gatwick, Johannesburg, Mumbai, Delhi, Beijing, Khartoum, Cairo, Lusaka!

Details are posted at http://www.africanflyer.com

- Brussels will see 3x per week
- Juba 4x per week
- Libreville 4x per week
- Dakar 7x per week

[Edited 2006-02-03 08:57:58]

centrair

RE: Ethiopian Airlines New Destinations, Summer Sched!

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:47 pm

Once they have the equipment, they could come to Japan. Would be nice to have them as an alternate to EK.

Seems like Ethiopian is really blooming. Just hope it brings trade and a possitive effect to the country too.

How is their service anyway? Anyone flown them?
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

AIR MALTA

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting ETStar (Thread starter):
Great news! Ethiopian is introducing Brussels in Belgium, Libreville in Gabon, Juba in Sudan, AND Dakar, Sénégal taking effect in the summer.

Is there a merket to Senegal?? Well if there is a market there, there should be one in Tunis...
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

AirGAbon

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:49 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 2):
Is there a merket to Senegal?? Well if there is a market there, there should be one in Tunis...

Of course there is a market to Senegal. Look over the fast growing expension of Air Senegal International to West Africa and in a near future to Central Africa.

Also, look at the 120% increase in one year of Royal Air Maroc traffic to Africa.

And there is definitively a huge demand between East and West Africa but there is still a lack of offer (just Kenya Airways and Ethiopian), in particular since the disappearance of Air Afrique, Cameroon Airlines and Air Gabon.

More and more people want to connect to Middle-East / Asia through Nairobi or Addis Abeba.

brightcedars

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:32 pm

Read this about Brussels and it's great news! It may be in codeshare with SNBA which is even better. SNBA will now codeshare on 2 African "hubs" with Air Senegal Int'l and Ethiopian.

Maybe a chance for a 787 at BRU in a few years' time!
I want the European Union flag on airliners.net!

RAFVC10

Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:12 am

Will I ever see an ET plane doing regular services from Spain to Ethiopia????
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

ETStar
Topic Author

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 5):
Will I ever see an ET plane doing regular services from Spain to Ethiopia????

Doubt it, especially in the near future. There is not much Spain-Ethiopia trade going on, and Spain mostly has ties to Northern Africa countries... Ethiopian used to fly to Madrid in the 60s or 70s however, which I think was only because of the ties between Ethiopia's Emperor and the rulers of Spain.

AF022

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:49 am

Juba? What's a Juba?

I think it is great that ET is expanding. Their service is great. Hopefully they will upgrade some of their aircraft soon. Some of those 757s are clunkers.

ETStar
Topic Author

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting AF022 (Reply 7):
I think it is great that ET is expanding. Their service is great. Hopefully they will upgrade some of their aircraft soon. Some of those 757s are clunkers.

Juba is the capital of the state of Central Equatoria in southern Sudan: http://www.futura-dtp.dk/Flysiden/KORT/Sudan.gif / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juba,_Sudan

MSYYZ

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:45 am

Hi ET Star , the link you provided needed a microscope to decipher the writing  Smile . Could you please tell me how many flights a week will CAI and JNB will get ?
Thanks in advance..
A346,A343,A342,A332,A333,A310,A300,AB6,A319,A320,A321,B741,B744,B777,B767,B732,B735,B727,B707,B757,MD80,F-70,E-170,B738

ETStar
Topic Author

Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:35 am

Quoting MSYYZ (Reply 9):
Hi ET Star , the link you provided needed a microscope to decipher the writing Smile . Could you please tell me how many flights a week will CAI and JNB will get ?

MSYYZ,
Jo'burg will be upped to 5x per week from current 4x, and Cairo will go up to a total of 7 flights per week, 3x at night, 4x during the day (the latter being via Khartoum)

stirling

Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:58 am

Quoting AF022 (Reply 7):
Some of those 757s are clunkers.

This is opinion, right?
What is the basis for such an irresponsible remark?
Because the fact is Ethiopian aircraft are some of the best maintained aircraft not only in Africa, but worldwide.
Delete this User

AF022

Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:03 pm

Touchy, aren't we?
I've been on a couple of 757 flights and the planes were OLD. OLD OLD OLD. And not very nice.
I've heard they have newer ones. Hopefully the old ones will be sent to the scrapheap or sold or something.

ETStar
Topic Author

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:00 pm

Quoting AF022 (Reply 12):
I've been on a couple of 757 flights and the planes were OLD. OLD OLD OLD. And not very nice.

Hehhehe ... The last two 757s I was on actually looked pretty good, fitted with light gray interiors. Of course, they still are from the late 80s/early 90s and don't have PTVs. Kinda like flying AA or US 757s.

I also wish to say that the old dark interiors of Ethiopian's fleet did not do justice to the aircraft.

AF022

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:56 am

It is a toss-up for me.

On the Ethiopian planes I have been on, the interior is either blue or brown. If I'm not mistaken, neither of these are Ethiopian colors.

Avianca

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:04 am

didnt see BRU since years at least the ET 757Cargo flights?

nice than now BRU will get also the passenger flights.

regards
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

abrelosojos

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:43 am

Quoting Centrair (Reply 1):
How is their service anyway? Anyone flown them?

= ET service is great. Significantly better than many Western carriers and probably on par with the second ring Asian carriers (KE, CI). Great cabin crew and renovations in ADD make it a good alternative transit point.

Quoting AF022 (Reply 12):
I've heard they have newer ones.

= I felt their 752s were better maintained than most Americans and some United.

-A.
Live, and let live.

timboflier215

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:01 am

well, DO they have any plans for fleet renewal of any sort?? would be cool to see them get some newer aircraft, thought i have no idea if they could afford it?

timboflier215

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:05 am

scrub that, just remembered the 787s. d'oh!

dkny

Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:12 pm

Great to see new destinations for ET. Still no news on the much talked about ADD-ACC-NYC flight.
Surprised to see Dakar going daily at once.
Looks like all flights leaving ADD will end by midnight everyday.

ETStar
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:16 am

Quoting Dkny (Reply 19):
Great to see new destinations for ET. Still no news on the much talked about ADD-ACC-NYC flight.
Surprised to see Dakar going daily at once.
Looks like all flights leaving ADD will end by midnight everyday.

Yeah, ADD-ACC-NYC still not set for the near future. Thinking of that one, it would be of more benefit to West African pax, as opposed to those from the east since one can get to NYC much quickly by transiting at a European city. Or in the future, when/if ET goes nonstop to IAD.

Dakar also suprised me, since this is the biggest launch to any city for ET in terms of frequency. It is a milk-run route however, with 2 stops along the way (NDJ/BKO or LFW/ABJ), but what it does is link all of those francophone countries, and makes use of aircraft instead of having them sit around all night at BKO or ABJ. Come to think of it, these days, ABJ is risky. Would have loved to see nonstop BKO however, and a roundtrip daytime to NDJ. LFW could also be done roundtrip daytime, while ABJ is a bit of a stretch (ACC is currently the farthest city with a roundtrip daytime service: ie leave ADD in the morning after Asia/Europe arrivals, return to ADD in time for Asia/Europe departures).

Speaking of daytime roundtrips, ET has come a long way and well implemented this on most of its African routes. What this means is that aircraft would not go and hang around all night, an can be used on multiple flights. Remember the old days, where a 737 would get to DAR in mid afternoon, and not depart until 6AM the next day? What these roundtrips also do is allow for the same crew to leave and return to ADD on the same day. I was looking at the departure/arrival hours, and it does conform to the max 12 hr duty, 8 hour flying times set by the FAA under normal ops. Whether or not ET does it I do not know - DNKY/ET787, any way to find out whether the same set of crew operate outbound/inbound flights? There are also a few neat night time roundtrips, such as BEY, CAI, JED.

En plus, the late night bank will be more streamlined, as currently asian flights leave much later than the initial arrivals into ADD, as they have to wait for arriving flights from West Africa. With the new schedule, the latest in the bank leaves at 12:10 to JED, while the earliest arrivals are around 8:20PM. Gotta love that double daily to Dubai, with just 20 minutes in between. It's cool I guess, as if demand is low on a particular day, they could merge the two into one flight (they kinda do that now, by extending the second DXB flight to BOM on certain days).

It was nice seeing that ET signed up with Sabre for its passenger management system, which includes online booking, e-ticketing (time ticking on this one) and code-sharing (hmmm anything coming?). That announcement said that it was making such procurement ahead of a 5-year growth spurt, which has me wondering what else is in store! While I do not expect anything like the 20-something city list that Turkish Airlines announced in one shot, this would definitely have me drooling over schedules.

soups

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:38 am

Quoting ETStar (Reply 20):
It is a milk-run route however, with 2 stops along the way (NDJ/BKO or LFW/ABJ),

Hola
ABJ is served via ACC, are the ADD-LFW-ABJ-DKR seperate flights or will they reduce ACC-abj
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

ETStar
Topic Author

RE: Ethiopian Airlines New Destinations, Summer Sc

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:08 pm

Quoting Soups (Reply 21):
ABJ is served via ACC, are the ADD-LFW-ABJ-DKR seperate flights or will they reduce ACC-abj

The current ADD-ACC-ABJ flight will become just an ADD-ACC-ADD, translating to capacity increase to that city.

dkny

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:12 pm

I heard again that ET will be receiving 2 777 very soon. Can't confirm though.

etaiz

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:55 pm

Quote:
I heard again that ET will be receiving 2 777 very soon. Can't confirm though.

DKNY, Are there any updates on the 777?

Orion737

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:23 am

If you think ETs 757s are old, old, old, what does that make Monarch's 757s? The Methusela of the skies?

Flying Belgian

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:48 am

Quoting BrightCedars (Reply 4):
Maybe a chance for a 787 at BRU in a few years' time!

Indeed !!!!

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

AF022

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting ETStar (Reply 20):
Dakar also suprised me, since this is the biggest launch to any city for ET in terms of frequency. It is a milk-run route however, with 2 stops along the way (NDJ/BKO or LFW/ABJ), but what it does is link all of those francophone countries, and makes use of aircraft instead of having them sit around all night at BKO or ABJ

I have no idea what is going on with cameroon airlines, but years ago they used to load lots and lots and lots of traffic from DKR that was only going to ABJ or BKO. I think I heard less than half of traffic was going to Douala and beyond. Francophone Africa has lots of traffic and not a lot of service.

Horus

RE: Ethiopian Airlines New Destinations, Summer Sc

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting ETStar (Reply 10):
MSYYZ,
Cairo will go up to a total of 7 flights per week, 3x at night, 4x during the day (the latter being via Khartoum)

Excellent news. The ADD-CAI timetable is fine, but on the return (CAI-ADD) on Wed, Thur and Sun there are 2 flights leaving to ADD within 12 hours. I know this is an extremely small issue and is expected when one service is nonstop and the other one-stop, so this is not a complaint. Also their frequency is far better than MS's 3 weekly flights.

Good luck to ET, they've really bucked the trend.

Horus
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

ETStar
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting Horus (Reply 28):

Excellent news. The ADD-CAI timetable is fine, but on the return (CAI-ADD) on Wed, Thur and Sun there are 2 flights leaving to ADD within 12 hours. I know this is an extremely small issue and is expected when one service is nonstop and the other one-stop, so this is not a complaint. Also their frequency is far better than MS's 3 weekly flights.

Yes. Definitely exciting to see the increase in freq to CAI. While the nonstops connect to/from the African flights, the one-stop connects CAI with KRT (which is much better than all other airlines' odd overnight flights), and connects both CAI and KRT to far eastern destinations.

MS has also come far with its ADD service, since only two or three years ago only had 1x per week. It is a cheaper alternative to those heading to the US from Ethiopia I hear, however on the return, the umpteen hour layover at CAI and odd time arrival at ADD are very tough.

Ethiopian787

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:00 pm

Hi Dkny & ETStar

I have heard that ET is actively looking to lease a Boeing 777-200ER or a Boeing 767-300ER neither of which are available in the lease market at the moment. They will probably do the ADD/ACC/IAD or ADD/DKR/IAD when a Boeing 777-200ER is available. They have also recently leased in two additional Boeing 757-200s, ET-ALY & ET-ALZ and ET's maintenance center is performing a C check and some modifications to prepare the aircraft for hot and high operations. In addition to these passenger aircraft ET's cargo uplift has increased dramatically due to the increase in the export volume of cut flower and vegetable from Ethiopia and they are now opearting one DC-8 & one DC-10 on wet lease basis in addition to the owned B757-200PF.

AF022
I cant deny that its been a while since the 757s were with Ethiopian. However dont forget all four of them (ET-AKC, ET-AKE, ET-AKF & ET-AJX) were phased in from 1994 onwards and I think this not a very long time for an airfarme. I have flown on one recently and the seat covers have been changed with the new one. However one thing they forget was to change the tray tables which are red from the previous cabin theme dominated by red and it makes look awkward. Anyways nice to see an airline with a hope for the future.
"We 'invented' the hostesses 3000 years before they invented the Boeings"

etaiz

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:49 pm

Quoting Ethiopian787 (Reply 30):
In addition to these passenger aircraft ET's cargo uplift has increased dramatically due to the increase in the export volume of cut flower and vegetable from Ethiopia and they are now opearting one DC-8 & one DC-10 on wet lease basis in addition to the owned B757-200PF.

Ethiopian787, is there any news about the acquisition or reconfiguration of the B757s to freighters since the demand has increased and also due to the fact that BRU is now a 2X day cargo operation?

dkny

Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:49 pm

Selam Ethiopian787.

Thank you for the update on the aicraft and route matters. So ADD-ACC-IAD or ADD-DKR-IAD will be in addition to the exsiting ADD-FCO-IAD or a replacement. Any chance ET might go back to EWR or even JFK.

Quoting Ethiopian787 (Reply 30):
I have heard that ET is actively looking to lease a Boeing 777-200ER or a Boeing 767-300ER neither of which are available in the lease market at the moment. They will probably do the ADD/ACC/IAD or ADD/DKR/IAD when a Boeing 777-200ER is available. They have also recently leased in two additional Boeing 757-200s, ET-ALY & ET-ALZ and ET's maintenance center is performing a C check and some modifications to prepare the aircraft for hot and high operations. In addition to these passenger aircraft ET's cargo uplift has increased dramatically due to the increase in the export volume of cut flower and vegetable from Ethiopia and they are now opearting one DC-8 & one DC-10 on wet lease basis in addition to the owned B757-200PF.

Ethiopian787

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:39 pm

Hi!! ET-AIZ

I think ET still wants to convert one or two of its pax 757s. The problem is, first everybody is experienecing aircraft shortage (please note here that ET just leased two more 752s) these days and IMO its unwise to pull out a recent generation pax aircraft like the B757 and convert it into freighter. Second I as far as i know there is no conversion center holding a Pax-to-freighter Supplemenal Type Certification for a P & W powered Boeing 757. Third is slot problem. I thnik most coversion centers which have the STC have a relatively sizable backlog at the moment.

Selam Dkny

I think ET pulled out of EWR becase the interline agreement it had with CO ended as CO, as I have been informed, has totally gone paperless and stopped interlining with those carriers which issue paper tickets. I think, if ET could go paperless by the end of 2006 we will probably see ET flying to EWR again soon. By the way ET is to roll out e-ticketing by the end of February intially on the ADD-NBO route.

AF022

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Ethiopian787 (Reply 33):
I think ET pulled out of EWR becase the interline agreement it had with CO ended as CO, as I have been informed, has totally gone paperless and stopped interlining with those carriers which issue paper tickets. I think, if ET could go paperless by the end of 2006 we will probably see ET flying to EWR again soon. By the way ET is to roll out e-ticketing by the end of February intially on the ADD-NBO route.

I had heard that ET was one of many foreign flags that couldn't make an intermediate domestic stop work with the new hysterical post-9/11 regulations. For ET, all IAD passengers had to deplane at EWR, go through customs, and then check-in again. Varig had the same problem GRU-LAX-NRT, and just stopped LAX-NRT. The long long long layover is extremely problematic.

Ethiopian787

Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:05 pm

Quoting AF022 (Reply 34):

I had heard that ET was one of many foreign flags that couldn't make an intermediate domestic stop work with the new hysterical post-9/11 regulations. For ET, all IAD passengers had to deplane at EWR, go through customs, and then check-in again. Varig had the same problem GRU-LAX-NRT, and just stopped LAX-NRT. The long long long layover is extremely problematic.

AF022 I think this is also true.

ETStar
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:13 am

I had heard that ET was one of many foreign flags that couldn't make an intermediate domestic stop work with the new hysterical post-9/11 regulations. For ET, all IAD passengers had to deplane at EWR, go through customs, and then check-in again.

I can attest to that. And it sucked big time! It was an early arrival at EWR, which made immigration/customs somewhat bearable, but what happened was that after you cleared both and placed your luggage on the transfer belt, you had to stick around and wait for the folks who are held up at customs before you are herded back to the plane, which included further security screening etc. While this was a major hindrance, the majority of pax on the flights I took deplaned at EWR to connect on CO. So with CO severing ties with non e-ticketing airlines, it just did not make sense for ET to continue serving EWR.

By the way, that second daily to Dubai which was to operate 20 minutes after the first one appears to be nixed as of March.  Sad