comorin

LHR T4: Why The Long Lines Recently?

Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:37 am

Just returned from LHR and the security lines were really long at Terminal 4, including the security at the Flight Connections area. This resulted in departure delays, offloaded bags and so on. Is there is reason for this or are we likely to have more of it in the future?

Just wanted to warn fellow travelers hoping to wing it with short connections...

Arsenal@LHR

RE: LHR T4: Why The Long Lines Recently?

Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:24 am

This is normal at LHR as it is a really busy airport, not only that, LHR has a lot of transit passengers, hence the long lines at the flight connections centre.
In Arsene we trust!!

Tristarsteve

Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:16 am

There is a thread somewhere about security. Apparantely a DOT inspector reported a security agent, his manager said he wasn't doing his job properly, so now they are all doing it by the book. The queues at the vehicle access points on Mon and Tue were miles long.

apuneger

Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:40 am

I was there back in November, connecting BRU-LHR-SYD, and the queue was just really long as well..so it appears it hasn't improved that much...

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

neder99

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:18 am

I believe it could be of the new LHR directive to remove all laptops from handluggage before going through the x-ray machine.
Some people don't think it applies to them, so the screeners have to take the laptop out and put the bag and laptop through again, which takes a lot longer.

LeonB1985

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:48 am

LHR generally seems to be a lot stricter than 'normal' at the moment. I was recently searched (as staff) more thoroughly than ever before, either as staff or a passenger.
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

TonyBurr

Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:19 am

I was in T3 this morning around 9:30 AM and could not believe the security line snaking back to the far wall. Even Fast Track had a line out into the hallway.

IADLHR

Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:28 am

Couild ie be that they have on some kind of alert that we dont know about. I was through LHR a few weeks ago in the fast track at T4. I did notice that the line wa a bit longer than usual but not what people are describing in these posts.

fbgdavidson

Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:55 pm

Quoting Neder99 (Reply 4):
I believe it could be of the new LHR directive to remove all laptops from handluggage before going through the x-ray machine.

My first guess is that is was related to this...

Quoting LeonB1985 (Reply 5):
LHR generally seems to be a lot stricter than 'normal' at the moment. I was recently searched (as staff) more thoroughly than ever before, either as staff or a passenger.

My father flies out of LHR about twice per week at the moment (usually T4 or T1) and says on the phone that the security lines have been particularly bad since the beginning of the year. He isn't sure exactly why but said maybe it was the fact there could be less screeners. After all whenever I fly out of T4 there seems to be about 30 screeners for the one Fast Track line  Yeah sure Have only flown out of LHR once so far this year and it was quite bad, nothing out of the ordinary though and one passage isn't exactly a good indication.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

BA0284

Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:38 pm

The BA website says that at LHR "If you are wearing a belt, you will need to remove it before you are body searched at security".

There is also a section on Laptops there as well.

It's under news number 1
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ic/en_gb?source=CF_flightops_en_gb

BA0284  Smile

fxramper

Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:53 pm

In May, I have a short connection to LHR from DUB, en route to LAX. Will this be a problem for me?

TUGMASTER

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:36 am

Combination of many things......

Quoting Tristarsteve (Reply 2):
There is a thread somewhere about security. Apparantely a DOT inspector reported a security agent,

Quoting Tristarsteve (Reply 2):
so now they are all doing it by the book.

Quoting Neder99 (Reply 4):

Quoting BA0284 (Reply 9):
If you are wearing a belt, you will need to remove it before you are body searched at security".

plus the fact BAA have announced managers to be made redundant, so they're making sure it's "BY THE BOOK " for everyone...even staff search has become a bit of a nightmare

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos