Orion737
Topic Author

Bae ATPs- are they In Service?

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:01 am

I was always a fan of the ATP. It was such a good looking aircraft, more so than the ATR72. I often wonder why the aircraft proved to be not very popular and why so many were retired prematurely from passenger service.

I remember British Midland ordering the ATP and it seemed an ideal aircraft for many of their regional routes but they did not last very long with BD.

Likewise BACitiexpress retired the ATP yet still to the day flies Dash8-300s.

The 748 was an aircaft with extreme longevity so why did the ATP fail and are there any in regular passenger service?

I know some still fly as cargo aircraft but do Air Europa still use the ATP? or SATA Acores?

The ATP striked me as being an excellent aircraft for Eastern. Particularly complimenting the J31 and J41. Why was the Saab chosen over the ATP, which surely could have been obtained quite readily and cheaply?

Amy

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:04 am

Loganair and Sun Air (both BA franchise partners) still operate ATP.
A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

MEA-707

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:12 am

Quoting Amy (Reply 1):
Loganair and Sun Air (both BA franchise partners) still operate ATP.

Not correct ! Loganair parked theirs in sping 2005 in favor of more Saab 340s, while Sun-Air withdrew the last in january 2006 in favor of Do-328s. So if you want to get on a passenger flight, SATA and Asian Spirit are the only possibilities!
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

milesrich

RE: Bae ATPs- Are They In Service?

Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:15 am

When Air Wisconsin, United Express, operated the ATP, the joke was that ATP did not stand for Advanced Turbo Prop, but rather for, ANOTHER TECHNICAL PROBLEM. Actually, they were a nice airplane to fly in, as long as the weather was good. In bad weather, they all bounce around and are vomit comets, with the exception of the Queen of Turboprops, the L-188 Electra, one of the most comfortable aircraft to ever grace the skies.

md90fan

Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:32 am

Whats the relationship between the J-61 and ATP?
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

Yak97

Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:28 pm

Emerald Airways (LPL) operate the ATP to IOM on contract with Euromanx.

They also have a freighter (non-large freight door) operating LBG-MRS on contract.

West Air Sweden operate a large fleet of ATP's in freight fit (both LFD & normal door).

Atlantic Airlines in CVT are just about to start operating ATP's in freight role.

Yak97

Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:30 pm

I believe Eastern chose the Saab 2000 as the ATP is too slow over longer sectors. Also a bit bigger 66 seats against 50 seats on 2000.

ca2ohHP

Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:21 pm

Quoting Milesrich (Reply 3):
When Air Wisconsin, United Express, operated the ATP, the joke was that ATP did not stand for Advanced Turbo Prop, but rather for, ANOTHER TECHNICAL PROBLEM.

Yeah I remember having to work them. They were horrible as far as loading luggage and being weight restricted. You had to open the rear emergency hatch, climb into the galley, and open the bulkhead in the tailcone, and load bags in it. I used to call it the flying sandbox because it always needed ballast.

Skymonster

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:00 pm

ATP stood for "Another Technical Problem" or "Alternative Transport Provided". Rather unreliable in British Midland service, they weren't too bad to fly on, but rather noisy at the front of the cabin which was fairly near the prop discs. As a pax I always preferred the Dash-7 on the EMA-LHR route - the Dash was a MUCH nicer passenger a/c. Westair have instigated a new maintenance regime which supposedly addresses and deals with many of the reliability issues that plagued the type's early years of service.

A
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

Door5Right

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 4):
Whats the relationship between the J-61 and ATP?

BAe renamed the ATP the Jetstream 61 as a marketing device to help sell a "family" of aircraft, the Jetstream 31, 41 and 61 (the ATP).

Although prone to a few technical problems, the ATP was surprising comfortable for passengers, particularily if seated in the last three or four rows. The rows between the engines, however, were rather noisy. I always enjoy my BA flights in the ATP when it flew several UK domestic routes.
My soul is in the sky...

Tristarsteve

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:18 pm

Come to ARN any weekday night and you will see West Air Sweden flying the Post. About ten assorted ATPs and 748's operate in and out from 2300 to 0500. When I get to work at 0515 there is usually a HS748 starting up outside T3 with the last post departure. Lovely sound.

egmcman

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:39 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Thread starter):
but do Air Europa still use the ATP?

No they exist any more IIRC they ceased flying late 2001 or 2002.

Orion737
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:55 pm

BD were very enthusiastic about the ATP when they were the first airline to place an order. They raved about the large turboprop and its suitability for their network.

In fact, BD were thinking the ATP would prove as popular and serve BD as well and for as long as the Viscount before it. Shame they were so short in service with BD.

7LBAC111

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:08 pm

Quoting Egmcman (Reply 11):
No they exist any more IIRC they ceased flying late 2001 or 2002.

Air Europa still fly intra European and Spanish domestic routes.

[Edited 2006-02-06 14:23:57]
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

egmcman

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:16 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 13):
Air Europa still fly intra European and Spanish domestic routes

Yes UX mainline, but not the Express division that operated the ATP's.

7LBAC111

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:24 pm

Quoting Egmcman (Reply 14):

Ah right, I stand corrected. Big grin

jmc757

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:44 pm

Quoting Yak97 (Reply 5):
Atlantic Airlines in CVT are just about to start operating ATP's in freight role.

Atlantic are having a lot of trouble with their ATPs. They still haven't started flying yet and are now quite delayed. Every time they try to take them for a check flight something else goes wrong. And judging by what has been said here; this is now a new problem for the ATP!

skidmarks

Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 2):
So if you want to get on a passenger flight, SATA and Asian Spirit are the only possibilities!

And Euromanx/Emerald - until June at the moment, but with 3W getting rid of their Do328's and RJ70's they could end up with the 2 ATP's for a while longer.

And Eastern use J41's because they A) Got the job lot on an excellent deal from BRAL/BACX and B) They are ideal for the routes they fly and the loads they achieve. The ATP wasn't in the frame at any stage. The SAAB 2000 is a far better aeroplane than the ATP and is proving itself on Easterns routes.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

egmcman

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:05 am

Is the ATP the only propliner that can use air bridges?

yow

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:07 am

Quoting Ca2ohhp (Reply 7):
Yeah I remember having to work them. They were horrible as far as loading luggage and being weight restricted. You had to open the rear emergency hatch, climb into the galley, and open the bulkhead in the tailcone, and load bags in it. I used to call it the flying sandbox because it always needed ballast.

Loads the same way as a Hawker 748, cool, never knew that.

ca2ohHP

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting Egmcman (Reply 18):

I believe Saab 340/2000 can. American Eagle used to bring air bridges to their ATR's at KORD and numerous field stations.

Leezyjet

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:00 am

A woman I used to work with many years ago, punctured the side of the fuselage on a BD ATP with an airbridge at LHR !!!. She was looking at the bottom of the jetty to line it up with the door (which is standard for a jetty driver) but didn't notice that the stupid little guide wheels the jetty's had back then were on the side of the a/c higher up (due to the smaller more cylindrical fuselage on the ATP). As she was moving the jetty forward, as it was still some distance from the door sill, one of these guide wheels burst the fuselage on one of the "Cut Here" panels by the flight deck !!. OOPS !!!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

atcrick

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:29 am

wasn't there a major problem with the ATP's? Something about engines shutting off flying through weather or something like that? I don't remember the specifics. All I know, is that when UFS operated them out of ORD they were pieces of sierra.
natch!!

ca2ohHP

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting ATCRick (Reply 22):
wasn't there a major problem with the ATP's? Something about engines shutting off flying through weather or something like that? I don't remember the specifics. All I know, is that when UFS operated them out of ORD they were pieces of sierra.

Not that I recall. UFS couldn't take care of a golf cart, let alone an airplane. Back when Air Wisconsin still operated the famous KOSH-KATW roundtrip (19 nautical miles), an ATP lost an engine on climb out of KOSH, but continued on to KATW as that is ZW headquarters and MX base for ATP's at the time. What I recall mechanics saying was its a great airplane to fly on, but just sucked to fix. Something about spare parts being custom produced also jacked costs on the type up.
I know the EMB-120 was grounded because of an engine issue in part because of the crash of ASA flight 2311, but I don't recall that of the ATP.

Door5Right

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:11 am

No mention of the ATP would be complete without the well known G-MAUD.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Garry Lewis - AirTeamImages

This aircraft began life as G-BMYM with British Midland and was transferred to Manx airlines in 1993. To honour the retirement of a well known Manx Airlines staff member, in accounts I believe, the aircraft was re-registered in her name: G-MAUD.

After a year or two she saw service again for British Midland before returning to Manx airlines in 1997 when Manx began operating as the BA franchise British Regional Airlines.

The same year saw her painted in the "Blue Poole" BA colour scheme and for many years this aircraft was a familiar sight at regional airports all over the UK on the BA/Manx/British Regional routes.

It was lovely of Manx, a small airline with a big heart (and still missed by many loyal fans) to have a nice human touch in naming this aircraft after an employee.

[Edited 2006-02-06 20:12:25]
My soul is in the sky...

egmcman

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:20 am

[quote=Door5Right,reply=24]
G-MAUD is at SEN in storage at the moment.

David L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting Door5Right (Reply 9):
BAe renamed the ATP the Jetstream 61 as a marketing device to help sell a "family" of aircraft, the Jetstream 31, 41 and 61 (the ATP).

Yes and production was moved to Prestwick (WOOHOO!) shortly before it was cancelled (D'OH!).

Door5Right

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:26 am

Quoting Egmcman (Reply 25):
G-MAUD is at SEN in storage at the moment.

Give the old girl a wave from me when you next pass by!
My soul is in the sky...

747400F

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:36 am

SAS Q-400 uses airbridge - at least they did when they flew to BLL
All humans have the right to marry the one they love

GDB

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:48 am

I always wondered how BAe managed to drop the ball with ATP.
Think of their heritage;

Viscount-first turboprop and successful with it.

Vanguard-while late to market with a prop of it's size, their was nothing wrong with the aircraft itself, a long service albeit mostly as freighters.

Britannia-Many early turboprops had a difficult development, including the Proteus, meaning the 'Whispering Giant' entered service late, too near to the Comet 4/707/DC-8.
A shame as it was by all accounts a fine aircraft, had the service entry been as originally planned, it would have sold much better.

HS-748-Successful in a quite crowded market then, however the Handley Page Herald (HP later absorbed into HS, later HS into BAe), did not stack up so well against the F-27, though the aircraft itself was sound.

Jetstream 31/41, the J31, a modernized version of the original Handley Page aircraft, sold very well, J41 appeared a bit too late however.

With all this in mind, I find BAe's less than reliable, poor selling ATP, a strange aberration.

CWAFlyer

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:26 am

Air Wisc used to use the jetbridge on their DO-328's. I seem to recall the Eagle's ATR's
using something like the turbo-ramps that SKywest uses now, but
it was totally enclosed.

I only flew on the ATP twice. The last time was out of ORD
right before they went out of business.

[Edited 2006-02-06 22:27:34]

Skymonster

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 12):
Shame they were so short in service with BD.

No it wasn't a shame. Pretty much everyone was pleased to be shot of them when they were dumped on Manx.

Aside from the reliability problems (they were sometimes nicknamed "Skodas", recalling the days when that car manufacturer hardly had a stellar reputation either), they also had a passenger perception problem. I recall a survey where passengers were asked "Which is the newest, the jet [pointing to a 30 year old DC-9] or the turboprop [pointing to the nearly new ATP]?" Almost all passengers throught that the DC-9s were newer, and also said that they'd rather fly on the jet.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

BDKLEZ

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:46 am

I started working in aviation 12 years ago with BD. This was the very first Midland aircraft I was on. Very noisy on the ground, but it was a dream in flight!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

BDKLEZ

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:54 am

Quoting Skymonster (Reply 31):
Pretty much everyone was pleased to be shot of them when they were dumped on Manx.

When you say Manx, you actually mean another company within the ABH group.
ABH = Airlines of Britain Holdings Ltd. Manx, Loganair, British Midland were ABH.

You may ask, "who was the decision maker with ABH at the time?"

I've only got one word; sorry, three letters actually.....

SMB
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

skidmarks

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:18 am

Ah, G-MAUD. She had an awful reputation in the hangar at Ronaldsway after arriving for an E check usually 5 days - and going out about a month later! Big grin

I may be slightly wrong with the times there, but she was not well liked among engineers!

As for the aircraft in general, they were pigs to work on, dirty and over-engineered like all British passenger aircraft. Built like a brick sh*thouse I believe the phrase is. But, they did an excellent job flogging backward and forward across the Irish sea and around the lesser airports of the British Isles. It will be a sad day when the last passenger gets off and shakes his/her head in disbelief that anyone still operates such monsters! Big grin

Good old Bomber!

Andy  old 

Orion737
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:32 am

The ATP is a fairly modern aircraft though. It had 'new' engines, glass cockpit and the like. If it is anything like its daddy the 748, it should have had a much longer life.

Most of you seem to be glad its almost gone from UK passenger service but I liked it very much. I think it was ideal for routes like LBA-JER or EMA-AMS and EMA-GLA etc. Much more so than the more expensive ERJ145s with BMI now operate.

Skymonster

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:34 am

We often wondered why they didn't move the dash/hypen in the registration from its correct position so that instead it was inbetween the T and the P on this one...

View Large View Medium

Photo © JetPix

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 33):
When you say Manx, you actually mean another company within the ABH group. ABH = Airlines of Britain Holdings Ltd. Manx, Loganair, British Midland were ABH. You may ask, "who was the decision maker with ABH at the time?" I've only got one word; sorry, three letters actually..... SMB

Not sure what you're getting at... I'm well aware of the corporate structure of ABH. My assertion that "pretty much everyone [OK, at British Midland] was pleased to be shot of them when they were dumped on Manx" stands. The three BD ATPs ended up mainly used on Midlands-LHR routes, EMA-AMS, EMA-JER and sometimes EMA-BFS - the former was dropped, and the latter converted to Fokker jets which were a step change improvement for passengers and crews. BD thus had no further use for the a/c but because they were on leases, there was a need to keep them working in the group.

FWIW, my first ATP flight was in 1987 on one of the route proving flights performed by BAe/BD prior to certification of the type - EMA-BRU-EMA. Its sobering to think that those early ATPs are now nearly 20 years old, so are getting on a bit!

Andy (veteran of 97 ATP flights!)

Orion737
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:38 am

They are nearing 20 years old but thats young compared to how long the predecessor the 748 and BDs Viscounts lasted!!

They are no older than many ATR42s still in passenger service. I always thought the ATP to be unfairly maligned and I still think it a stunner. The best looking of the 'new' turboprops.

Skymonster

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:49 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 35):
Most of you seem to be glad its almost gone from UK passenger service but I liked it very much. I think it was ideal for routes like LBA-JER or EMA-AMS and EMA-GLA etc.

Orion, did you ever fly on them? They were dreadful things. I talk from experience - check above to see the number of times I've flown on ATPs.

I have also flown on all of the competitor a/c from a similar era - ATR, Dash-8, Fokker 50, etc - and trust me, the ATP was the worst from a passenger point of view, especially if seated near the front where the noise and vibration were bad. I recall one evening LHR-EMA flight when the vibration caused part of the overhead panel to fall into someone's cup of tea just as it was being served - the cabin crew, who knew me, said "Don't you dare ask for some of that in your tea"  Smile

I guess that the only good thing was that if they were fairly empty (as they frequently were) everyone had to sit at the back where it was somewhat quieter, so that the CofG was within the envelope.

Much more so than the more expensive ERJ145s with BMI now operate.

LOL! No way. Whilst I concede that the ERJs are less roomy, almost everything else about the ERJ passenger flight experience is superior to an ATP - quieter inside and out, smoother, faster, etc. Purchase "expense" is only one part of the equation - the ATPs went tech often enough that the undoutedly damaged the balance sheet. In fact, we even had a computer system that recorded all sub-service a/c that replaced ATPs to ease compiling claims against BAe.

Andy

atcrick

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:50 am

Trust me....as far as the ones operated here in the US(few I agree) it was junk.
natch!!

Orion737
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:55 am

I am suprised to hear of the aircraft's reliability problems. Particularly as its predecessor the 748 was such a workhorse and still reliable into old age. Pity the ATP couldnt follow on and become a stalwart of the skies too.

It may have not been the best for passengers but surely over such short sectors as EMA-JER or EMA-BRU it must be more economical than small jets, particularly as it had quite a large capacity (bigger than many regional jets).

Also in the days of EMA-GLA and EMA-EDI it was ideal for those sectors and for adding frequencies to other routes outside the peak times.

It seems not many have a fondness for the ATP but I did and I am sorry I dont seem them much these days.

skidmarks

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:41 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 40):
I am suprised to hear of the aircraft's reliability problems. Particularly as its predecessor the 748 was such a workhorse and still reliable into old age

The 748 was, and still is a very robust aircraft with simple engines (Darts). The ATP was stretched, "improved", more complicated and with less reliable engines (PW126). Having said that, the PW100 series are excellent engines but the more you tweak a design for power the more problems you get. The Dash 8-Q400 bears this out.

And Andy, 35 ATP flights for me so far. Hoping to suffer at least one more on either G-JEMA or 'C with Emerald before they disappear from the IOM.

Andy  old 

Skymonster

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:24 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 40):
Also in the days of EMA-GLA and EMA-EDI it was ideal for those sectors

Sigh! No it wasn't... I said above (reply 36) which routes the ATPs operated - I forgot BHX-BRU though. The ATPs were never on EMA-GLA (except for a short period on the 4th rotation, an off-peak lunchtime service). EMA-GLA was a jet route that transitioned direct from DC-9 to Fokker 100 and stayed on the Fokker until Baby was born, because it consistantly filled those a/c and the customers expected, no almost demanded, a jet service. And EMA-EDI wasn't even on the BD route map when the ATPs were with the airline - it came later and was operated on the Saab 340.

Andy

Door5Right

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:45 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Thread starter):
Good old Bomber!

Perchance does this refer to the Captain of the same name?
My soul is in the sky...

7LBAC111

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:00 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 37):
They are no older than many ATR42s still in passenger service. I always thought the ATP to be unfairly maligned and I still think it a stunner. The best looking of the 'new' turboprops.

Most of you seem to be glad its almost gone from UK passenger service but I liked it very much.

You seem to struggle to differentiate between a 'pretty' looking aircraft, and an effective piece of equipment for an airline. Many aircraft look fantastic, but when in revenue service were considered a disaster. The ATP is a prime example, by all accounts.

7L

Orion737
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:06 pm

Your right, it does seem to have been unpopular with both passengers and airlines alike. I suppose the fact that so few remain in passenger service these days bares that out.

Do Biman Bangladesh still own any ATPS?

egmcman

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:14 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 45):
Do Biman Bangladesh still own any ATPS?

No they are G-JEME ex S2-ACY and G-JEMD ex S2-ACX at Emerlad Airways.

Orion737
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:25 pm

I wouldnt be suprised if Emerald had problems with those ex Biman ATPs. They were inactive at Biman for awhile awaiting sale.

canberra

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:48 pm

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 2):
while Sun-Air withdrew the last in january 2006 in favor of Do-328s.

Hi Servaas,
Could you or someone else please confirm that! Was planing another attempt to get a Sun-Air ATP flight in Marts. According to BA/Amadeus they are still regularly scheduled on the evening flight from Billund to Oslo.

Already tried to get the Sun-Air ATP twice the last two years. Both unsuccessful due to equipment change. Actually only one of five flights with Sun-Air has been on the type scheduled according to BA/Amadeus.

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 41):
Hoping to suffer at least one more on either G-JEMA or 'C with Emerald before they disappear from the IOM.

They are still flying? According to www.flyjem.com (Emerald Airways?) flights are now operated by Euromanx. Still with the ATP's ??? If yes, I guess I have to go to the IOM very soon!!

Quote:
With immediate effect, all Emerald Airways services between Liverpool and the Isle of Man will be operated by Euromanx.

/Michael
It takes courage to push things forward . . (Mo Mowlam)

skidmarks

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:41 pm

Quoting Canberra (Reply 48):
They are still flying? According to www.flyjem.com (Emerald Airways?) flights are now operated by Euromanx. Still with the ATP's ??? If yes, I guess I have to go to the IOM very soon!!

I think the agreement runs out in June or sometime similar. Yes, we get both A & C in on a daily basis. They do either the LPL or MAN runs. Or anywhere, come to that. Still in Emerald colours.

If you fly one to the IOM I'll buy you a beer to help you get over it Big grin

Andy  old