rjpieces

Old Photos Of Eastern Terminal At LGA

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:01 am

I was taking the US Airways Shuttle last night and as I was walking to the gate, I stopped and thought to myself how this was the Eastern Airlines terminal many years ago. So I was wondering if anybody had any photos of the terminal, or might know where some are posted. I'm trying to see how it looked 20 years ago+ when Eastern used it.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Cody

RE: Old Photos Of Eastern Terminal At LGA

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:37 am

The US AIRWAYS terminal has two concourses and the one on the East side (The current site of the DCA-BOS Shuttle flights) was in fact the Eastern Air Shuttle Terminal. Eastern mainline flights left from the concourse on the other side of the old TWA hangars. I don't have any pictures but the interior is a lot different than it was when it was Eastern. First off, there was an additional gate that had to be closed off when they built the west wing on to the East concourse. The site of the current ticket counter in the front was where you checked in for Eastern flights, except there was no back drop. It was just a large open desk in a circular shape. Behind the desk was a large seating area that included a wet bar. The bar was between the current check-in counter and the back escalator. Watch the movie "Arthor Arthor" as it has some good scenes from the Eastern Shuttle Terminal. You will find it looks a lot different. The only similarities are the dozen or so former Eastern employees that still work the US AIRWAYS SHUTTLE to this day. Next time you are there, ask them if they worked for EASTERN and they will be glad to describe how it was back then.

se210

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:50 am

Here's a postcard shot circa 1980. Sorry it's a bit far away. se210
http://leo.lunarpages.com/~airlin3/airliners.net/discussion_2591865.jpg

jfklganyc

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:14 am

Ironic that much of LGA looks the same as it did when I was a kid in the mid 80s

DL Terminal Exterior

Grand Central Exit Ramps

Lights

Most Road Signage (they are replacing signs now)

The hangars

And the garage used to be a Rust-Colored Brown.

Most people hate the place. Nothing but Good memories for me at LGA.  Smile

PJ

DCA-ROCguy

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:37 am

If you'd like a detailed diagram of the LGA Eastern shuttle terminal, check a library for a copy of The Airport Passenger Terminal by Walter Hart (New York: Wiley Interscience, 1985). It's an engineering book about designing airports and it's full of detailed diagrams. Or try Bookfinder.com. Diagram is on p. 152.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

rjpieces

Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:00 am

This post is an example of why I love A.net!

Quoting Cody (Reply 1):
Watch the movie "Arthor Arthor" as it has some good scenes from the Eastern Shuttle Terminal.

I can't find any information about this at all. Do you have a link or something? What year did it come out? I'd love to watch it.

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 4):
If you'd like a detailed diagram of the LGA Eastern shuttle terminal, check a library for a copy of The Airport Passenger Terminal by Walter Hart (New York: Wiley Interscience, 1985). It's an engineering book about designing airports and it's full of detailed diagrams. Or try Bookfinder.com. Diagram is on p. 152.

Thanks, a library in my consortium has that so I ordered it to my library...I'll definitly check it out.

Quoting Se210 (Reply 2):
Here's a postcard shot circa 1980. Sorry it's a bit far away

That's an awesome shot, thank you.

Quoting Cody (Reply 1):
The only similarities are the dozen or so former Eastern employees that still work the US AIRWAYS SHUTTLE to this day. Next time you are there, ask them if they worked for EASTERN and they will be glad to describe how it was back then.

Do you work for US Airways? Next time I'm there I will definitly ask around. Every time I fly the US Airways Shuttle there is a gate agent who looks like he's been around for years. I've always wondered where he started. Just last weekend on the Shuttle, I met an F/A who had 30 years with US Airways and started with Allegheny.

Do you know offhand what year US took over the Eastern Shuttle? Thanks for the great info.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

rjpieces

Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Cody (Reply 1):
The site of the current ticket counter in the front was where you checked in for Eastern flights, except there was no back drop. It was just a large open desk in a circular shape. Behind the desk was a large seating area that included a wet bar. The bar was between the current check-in counter and the back escalator.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Do you mean the ticket counter inside the concourse (past security) or the general Shuttle checkin area before security? And by bask escalator, you mean the one that leads from the gates at the end of the concourse to the baggage claim level?

If the check-in area was that desk I think you're speaking of, where did passengers check bags?