AviationAddict
Topic Author

How Much Longer Will The DL 732s Be In Service?

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:29 pm

Does anyone know how much longer Delta plans to use their 732s? I'm sure the company's current financial situation will play a huge role in this, but are there any plans to replace them (I wish they could fly forever  Smile )?It seems like most other established airlines have either replaced or are planning to replace their 732s over the past couple of years. I've heard various people say that DL is planning on moving some of their MD-90s, but nothing about the Boeings.

DeltaGuy

RE: How Much Longer Will The DL 732s Be In Service?

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:21 pm

My dad currently flies the jet, he and most (if not all) of the pilots already have bids to other aircraft. He and alot of other chaps start their new training this month, as the aircraft are being slowly sent to the desert. I've heard that this summer will be the end, as there's been a mass displacement of the type, and only the really senior guys in the base will remain flying it till it's finally gone...the junior guys have been slowly nibbled off the bottom.

As for the -90's, don't plan on them going anywhere...at this point in time, the market for those aircraft is non-existant...in fact, Pro-Air's are being taken apart in Marana, and AA's (ex Reno) are rotting away at Roswell, so not like there's alot of big buyers. Just makes more sense to keep them, I wish they'd pick up all the loose cheap ones as well.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

AV8AJET

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:43 pm

DL has just put the new leather interiors in the MD-90's so I'm sure they'll be around for a while. I like them a whole lot more the MD-88's, they have IFE and they seem to be less noisy in cruise than the MD-88's.
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

bucky707

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:04 pm

heard a rumor that a few of the 732s will be kept around for a while, perhaps until 07.

Orion737

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:11 pm

Why doesnt Delta pick up some more MD90s? They are readily available and I imagine, for a good price. They are also fuel efficient and modern and Delta already has crew trained on them. Surely it makes sense as they intend to keep their MD90s to aquire more while they are available so cheaply.