KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

FR Given Six Weeks To Change Rules

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:37 am

FR could be fined 500,000 NOK (appr 74,000 USD/43,000 GBP) in a Norwegian consumer court. Unless they change their requirements and rules within six weeks, they will be fined. The Better Business Bureau of Norway has claimed for several years that FR have unreasonable rules and now they got the courts on their side. FR has been given six weeks to change their rules regarding broken luggage compensation, backpay of fees, name change fees, and compensation in case of delays. FR needs to change three of the four, and can only keep the fee in case of name changes. FR can either accept the ruling and make necessary changes, or take it to a higher court.

Source (in Norwegian): Sandefjords Blad
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

AJO

RE: FR Given Six Weeks To Change Rules

Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:23 am

Or they could just stop flying to Norway... Just like what happened with (correct me if I'm wrong) NQY: if they don't like the rules (i.e. fees), they just cut some flights, to put pressure on the authorities.
bla

APFPilot1985

Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting AJO (Reply 1):
Or they could just stop flying to Norway..

that is exactly what I would do.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting AJO (Reply 1):
Or they could just stop flying to Norway

No big loss there. With DY having just as cheap prices, you can fly them and not have to pay for your bags, having reclining seats and window shades, and more connections within Norway (OSL vs. TRF).
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ANother

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Thread starter):
and compensation in case of delays.

Quoting AJO (Reply 1):
Or they could just stop flying to Norway...

They will have to stop flying everywhere, as these rules apply to all EU airlines. (Compensation in case of delays is not cash compensation, it is 'care' compensation - meals, telephone calls, e-mails and hotels if necessary)

I'm not saying the rules are appropriate, but the ECJ ruled recently that they are legal.

irelayer

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 4):
They will have to stop flying everywhere, as these rules apply to all EU airlines. (Compensation in case of delays is not cash compensation, it is 'care' compensation - meals, telephone calls, e-mails and hotels if necessary)

Norway is not part of the EU, just to be clear. I don't know the specifics of this case but if it is a Norweigan court that is demanding these things FR can just stop flying to Norway (if that is what you were referring to).

-IR

APFPilot1985

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:46 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 3):
With DY having just as cheap prices,

DY?
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

N1120A

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting IRelayer (Reply 5):
Norway is not part of the EU, just to be clear. I don't know the specifics of this case but if it is a Norweigan court that is demanding these things FR can just stop flying to Norway (if that is what you were referring to).

Given that Norway operates under the EU open skies terms, I am betting their air policy mirrors the EU in this regard.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LH459

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:01 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 6):
DY

That's Norwegian Air Shuttle, but apparently the code previously belonged to Air Djibouti.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

David L

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:01 am

DY?

That's what I was thinking! I guess it's not Air Djibouti, as per the mouse-over.  biggrin 

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:23 am

Norway is not part of the EU, just to be clear.

But part of the EEC. EU + Norway, Switzerland, and Iceland. European Economic Commission. Gives us the right to live and work anywhere in the EU, just like an EU national.

DY?

Haha. You had me thinking there for a sec. Wondering if I messed up..  Wink

vv701

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:47 am

Both Norway and Iceland are members (with the 25 EU countries) of the European Common Aviation Area (ECAA). In 2006 it is expected that an agreement will be reached to add eight Balkan countries, namely Albania, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Romania and Serbia, to the ECAA.

ANother

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:49 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 11):
Both Norway and Iceland are members (with the 25 EU countries) of the European Common Aviation Area (ECAA).

Actually it's a little more complicated than that.

EU = 25 Member states.
EEA (European Economic Area) = EU25 + Iceland, Norway, Leichtenstien
Switzerland has bilateral accords which extend some EU regulations to Switzerland.

Regulation 261 governing compensation for Denied boarding, long delays and cancellations apply to the EEA and Switzerland. Member States are required to put this regulation into local law, so Norway has either already done so, or will do so soon. Switzerland was sitting it out awaiting ECJ ruling and will now but the wheels in motion to have it enacted into Swiss law. The way things work here that won't take more than 10-15 years, unless somebody calls for a referendum on the matter which will add another 5-10 years.

YukonTrader

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 10):
But part of the EEC. EU + Norway, Switzerland, and Iceland. European Economic Commission. Gives us the right to live and work anywhere in the EU, just like an EU national.

Sorry KaiGywer, I've to put some details right for the record, European integration can be a mine-field  Wink

The EC Commission is a body within the EU, losely you could call it the EU's administration. What you probably ment is the EEA (European Economic Area): Formed in 1994 as extensive association treaty between the 12 EU Member States of the time and the 6 EEA Member States Austria, Finland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Sweden. Switzerland also negotiated to be part of the EEA as 7th member, but at the end of this process, the Swiss Constitution required that a public referendum was held on the accession documents. In that referendum, a 50.3% majority of voters opted against Switzerland joining the EEA. This decision of the Swiss public left us out of the club, and - at least in the opinion of some people - it contributed to some economic hardships (Swissair being denied the status of an EEA carrier, just to name one).

Austria, Finland and Sweden have since become full EU Member States, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway have remainded EEA Members, Switzerland has sought an approximation with the EU by selective bilateral agreements...

Thus, for the time being, Switzerland is only a member to the European Charter of Human Rights (ECHR) and to the European Free Trade Association (EFTA).

Hope you don't mind me sorting some of the facts out...

Cheers, Lukas

HBDAN

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:51 am

However, FR will ignore the fine. They had so many fines because of their business strategy that for 74'000$, I don't think they will care! Then there is to say that if FR complies for this decision, the court has to meet again and bla bla... ending that in two years the situation is still like today!

Regards,

HBDAN
Next flight: hopefully soon...

KaiGywer
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:13 am

Quoting YukonTrader (Reply 13):
Hope you don't mind me sorting some of the facts out...

Not at all. Thanks for clarifying. I've lived here in the US for over three years now, so forgot some of the details  Wink

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos