a300aa

CTG And PEI New Destinations For AA

Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:57 am

Cartagena and Pereira (COLOMBIA) are the possible new destinations for AA in Colombia, announced Local Management representing the company today in Bogota.

President Uribe asked American for that possibility, and the airline is studying it.

Rumors, : will be seasonal frequencies, 3 to CTG and 3 to PEI .

On the other hand Colombian Flight Attendants are negotiating a new contract.

http://www.portafolio.com.co/hist_im...B-NOTA_INTERIOR_PORTA-2731562.html

[Edited 2006-02-07 19:58:57]

PanAm747

RE: CTG And PEI New Destinations For AA

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:46 am

I believe I read here on a.net that Colombia has a very restrictive air service treaty with the United States, limiting the airports and frequencies of U.S. carriers - is that still the case? If so, how is AA getting around this?

I hope it turns out to be successful for them!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

N1120A

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:48 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 1):
I believe I read here on a.net that Colombia has a very restrictive air service treaty with the United States, limiting the airports and frequencies of U.S. carriers - is that still the case? If so, how is AA getting around this?

I think AA is getting around this by offering service to less serviced destinations, kind of like an EAS thing
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Avianca

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:49 am

I hope it turns out to be successful for them!

well If the president personally asked AA....

would be great!!!

great would be a daily service to conect the 2 aiports without restricionts to the MIA hub.

regards
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

a300aa

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:00 am

Colombia will have a new bilateral agremeent with the USA soon.

Southamerica

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:30 am

I believe I read here on a.net that Colombia has a very restrictive air service treaty with the United States, limiting the airports and frequencies of U.S. carriers - is that still the case?

A revised bilateral took place in January 1st of the present year, though it hasn't been officially published.

Anyhow, Cartagena ranks among the special tourist destinations in Colombia which allow ilimited international service, regardless of the bilateral terms with the country involved.

As for the service, it sounds too good to be truth, though to some extent, it is fesible, as long as it's seasonal. CTG can barely support 2 weekly nonstops to MIA provided by AV off-season; though, however, the service increases to 5x weekly or daily in high-season when the flight does fine.

PEI? They already have a daily 1-stop flight to MIA via BOG, though changing planes in BOG is in order. The PEI-BOG segments is operated on a MD-83, and the BOG-MIA leg as the usual daily 763. Both flights, however, operate under one code: AV0006.

SOUTHAMERICA

MAH4546

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:46 am

The plan is 4x weekly PEI/3x weekly CTG on alternating days with 737-800s, year-round. While Avianca has struggled with MIA-CTG during the off-season, they also have virtually zero feed on both ends. This will not be the case for AA.
a.

2travel2know

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:14 am

Is AA returning to BAQ anytime soon?
Could ADZ be on their radar too?
Like CTG, ADZ is outside the U.S. - Colombia Bilateral.
AA should take advantage of this and even offer once-weekly MIA<>ADZ, DFW/JFK<>CTG/ADZ service.
IMHO, Even if very nice, both CTG are ADZ aren't up to the same tourist standard as CUN or AUA, but they sure could be a nice niche and more affordable market for some U.S. travellers interested in exotic destinations.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

luisca

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:19 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 7):
Could ADZ be on their radar too?
Like CTG, ADZ is outside the U.S. - Colombia Bilateral.
AA should take advantage of this and even offer once-weekly MIA<>ADZ, DFW/JFK<>CTG/ADZ service.
IMHO, Even if very nice, both CTG are ADZ aren't up to the same tourist standard as CUN or AUA, but they sure could be a nice niche and more affordable market for some U.S. travellers interested in exotic destinations.

I think that the experience CM has had with ADZ shows that it is just not a good market right now, besides, anyone who wants to fly to ADZ from the US can do via CO/CM

CM has wanted to serve PEI for years, but the Colombian goverment is too restrictive.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

a300aa

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:06 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 7):

NO
They have lot of problems with the employees that they lay off ,

Employees sue AA , and they won.
They cant go back , right now.