ryanlock

DL's New Boarding Structure & Initiatives

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:09 am

Cross-divisional teams in Atlanta, Greensboro, Memphis, and Washington-Dulles have taken a careful look at all aspects of aircraft turn-time. The results of their analysis included, among other things, new boarding and cleaning procedures that cut turn time as much as 25 percent and, and resulted in cleaner aircraft.

Based on another team recommendation, Delta next month begins boarding customers other than first class and medallion members in order of seating...

First: Window seated Passengers,

Second: Center seated Passengers,

Third: Aisle seated Passengers.

The new process is faster, smoother, and transparent to customers and agents.

Other DL Initiatives are:

As part of our 2006 mission, Delta is working to earn customer preference through a broad range of product, fleet and service enhancements. We're enhancing the on-line options at delta.com; improving many of our airport facilities and Crown Room Clubs, rolling out a new in-flight entertainment system on long-haul domestic service, introducing two-class RJs, and refreshing Business Elite.

Importantly, too, we realize that improving performance in key areas of our operation will require investment; Delta people must have the necessary tools and equipment to do the job.

These are important enhancements and crucial components of a competitive customer service offering. But one thing we know for sure is that we can't win the marketplace unless we excel at the fundamentals.

Safe, clean, and on-time. That's what our customers value. With your help, that's what we're going to deliver.

Quoted: Delta Air Lines Internal Memo
NO URLS in signature

svenvdm

RE: DL's New Boarding Structure & Initiatives

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting Ryanlock (Thread starter):

Wow, I wonder how many scientists it took to find that out... Sorry, couldn´t resist.

ryanlock

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting SvenvdM (Reply 1):
Wow, I wonder how many scientists it took to find that out... Sorry, couldn´t resist.

Well do any other airlines use this method? I haven't heard of it, so although it's looks simple when written down, it is actually a smart though to have originally worked out - in my opinion.

Ryan
NO URLS in signature

deltairlines

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:24 am

I'm all for it. As long as Medallions can continue to pre-board, it's good news by my book. I'm also excited about the prospect of improved Crown Rooms, as I've made it a personal goal that I will pay the $325 to join this year (especially since you can use President's Clubs and WorldClubs now), and First Class in RJs would definetely be very much appreciated, not to mention Song-Style service on all Trans-cons now (Song was good, now adding a F cabin for me to upgrade to makes this the best domestic product hands down, except for maybe P.S.)

Jeff

Aeroflot777

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:25 am

I was actually thinking of this type of boarding method, and couldn't understand why airlines don't use it. I think it's common sense that something like this will reduce boarding times...

Aeroflot777

LAXintl

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting Ryanlock (Reply 2):
Well do any other airlines use this method?

Yes

Several in the US use such methods. AA and UA break down the cabin by group/zone numbers and accordingly board windows, middle and aisle seats.
At UA the concept was called WilMA, for Window, Middle, Aisle.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

RL757PVD

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:28 am

I think its a good idea as long as it keeps traveling parties together that way a family sitting across the 3 seats doesnt board each seperatley, same as if couples are traveling.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

United1

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:29 am

United used to use this on United Shuttle flights. In theory it works great but when you have groups of people/families traveling together they would all try to board at the same time and muck up the process a bit.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

flydl2atl

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:30 am

What about families who are seated together in the same row? It seems they are going to want to board together. I'm not sure it's the greatest idea. I think that people flying toghether will just end up all boarding together in the highest zone.

Gemuser

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:31 am

What a dumb idea! It will not work! (Unless I missed a smiley somewhere?)

Most (a lot?) of pax travel in pairs or other groups and tend to be seated side by side. If you think I am going to board in the first group(window or middle, while my wife boards in the last group (aisle) you are cracked. It hard enough to get people to board by rows.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

gokmengs

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:34 am

Good Idea but, the efficiency is depending on the pax. If people are travelling with friends family etc and booked seperatly, at the gate they hold different zone boarding passes but they go all together once someone from that group is called.

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 3):
I'm all for it. As long as Medallions can continue to pre-board, it's good news by my book.

Amen brother Smile I hope they won't change that ever, loyalty should be awarded in certain ways.
Gercekleri Tarih Yazar Tarihide Galatasaray

ryanlock

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:37 am

Quoting Gokmengs (Reply 10):
I'm all for it. As long as Medallions can continue to pre-board, it's good news by my book.

I am sure this will not get changed! DL are very loyal to their Medallion & First Class members, and thus far nothing has been announced that this will change, which inevitably means it will not change.
NO URLS in signature

LAXintl

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:43 am

In general as done at other carriers, groups booked on single PNRs (ie a family) would board with the first group/higher priority they would have enjoyed if they were individual travelers.
Same goes for premium elite flyers whom are either afforded boarding with the first group or as some carriers do it can board at thier leisure.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DL WIDGET HEAD

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:12 am

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 9):
What a dumb idea! It will not work! (Unless I missed a smiley somewhere?)

Most (a lot?) of pax travel in pairs or other groups and tend to be seated side by side.

No doubt the computer will assign all of those known to be seated together or on the same PNR the same boarding zone number. Obviously, those traveling together but on independent PNR's may have to approach the agent who I'm sure can assign the same boarding zone number.

DL4EVR

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:15 am

Yeah. My first thought when I saw this was about families traveling together. Especially at holiday times....4 and 5 year old kids with their families. Are the gate agents going to tell the kids to stay back while their parents board?? Also, another mission for 2006...improve your domestic F product!!!!
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

deltairlines

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting DL Widget Head (Reply 13):
No doubt the computer will assign all of those known to be seated together or on the same PNR the same boarding zone number. Obviously, those traveling together but on independent PNR's may have to approach the agent who I'm sure can assign the same boarding zone number.

I wish this was already in place. When travelling on the same PNR as a non-Medallion, I'll be assigned to Zone 2, while my companion will have Zone 9 on their boarding pass. Still...they let me pull up my companion into Zone 2 boarding.

Jeff

LongbowPilot

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 4):
I was actually thinking of this type of boarding method, and couldn't understand why airlines don't use it. I think it's common sense that something like this will reduce boarding times...

Because passengers usually check there brains in with the luggage and turn into lemmings and no matter how intricately you dictate the process or draw a picture they still board out of order, or come up to you and ask RIGHT AFTER YOU HAVE SAID THE ANSWER 5 SECONDS BEFORE!!!!!! ARGH! PASSENGERS SUCK

(in through nose, out through mouth) i feel better now.. sorry all Big grin

PIA777

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:00 am

They have been using this method on and off for a while. They used
this method with me atleast a year ago.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

deltagator

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:06 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 15):
I wish this was already in place. When travelling on the same PNR as a non-Medallion, I'll be assigned to Zone 2, while my companion will have Zone 9 on their boarding pass. Still...they let me pull up my companion into Zone 2 boarding.

I've always just asked at the boarding door and the folks taking tickets were cool about it. As long as you aren't trying to bring 20 people on with you I don't see it as a big deal.

Quoting Ryanlock (Reply 11):

I am sure this will not get changed! DL are very loyal to their Medallion & First Class members, and thus far nothing has been announced that this will change, which inevitably means it will not change.

Did AA ever board their frequent customers by level of status? I swear I remember about 10 years ago hearing something along the lines of First, then Platinum first, Gold next, followed by Silver, then general boarding by rows.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

svenvdm

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting Ryanlock (Reply 2):

Well do any other airlines use this method?

Seriously now: LH had such a concept in the mid-90s. They had several zones according to how far the seat was away from the aisle.

OttoPylit

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:00 am

I know that AA has tried this before(and possibly still doing it?). Can anyone say how efficient it has been for them?

Personally, I don't agree with it, as the Zone boarding concept works wonderfully as it is. Why fix something that isn't broken? Because people somewhere in the G.O. need to be kept working in some way, so they just rearrange everything as often as possible. This is a concept that works great on paper, but when done in real time can be very different. The company says they have already tested it and it works fine. Yea, I've seen these kinds of tests. You get a group of volunteers, tell them what you are going to do, what the point is, and what you are trying to accomplish, and they do it. However, in real time, as Longbow said, you get a bunch of lemmings who don't pay attention and feel that they are more deserving than anything else on the face of the Earth and that don't know what they are doing at the airport in the first place and it changes the pace quite a bit.

We will see what will happen, but I don't envision this to be in place too long before everything goes back to the way it is now, a way that works very well.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

simairlinenet

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:59 am

The secret is to combine this with the zone boarding system. Instead of announcing window, middle, aisle, windows in the back would be 2 (assuming elites are 1), middles in the back and windows in the middle would be 3, aisles in the back and middles in the middle are 4, etc.

ContnlEliteCMH

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:06 am

Wow, I wonder how many scientists it took to find that out

Not scientists. "Cross-divisional teams." Jeez. You'd better bone up on your corporate-speak.

Cross-divisional teams, using collaborative effort, studied the problem via interfunctional communications. Six Sigma promoted problem resolution through iterative methodology, and study findings were published via the intranet's portal utilizing single sign-on.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:18 am

I don't think it will make any difference because the passengers will not go along with it and the customer service agents will not enforce it. It's just like the stand that they have to check the size of carry on bags. When was the last time you saw a customer service agent say "you can't take that bag on board it doesen't fit in this stand."

jacobin777

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:19 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 20):
I know that AA has tried this before(and possibly still doing it?). Can anyone say how efficient it has been for them?

as a Platinum flyer, I know for a fact thats not how the do it..

they announce 1st/Business....then Platinum/Executive Platinum (sometimes Gold gets added to the mix)....

finally they have groups........usually 1-6.........
"Up the Irons!"

DeltaRules

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 15):
When travelling on the same PNR as a non-Medallion, I'll be assigned to Zone 2, while my companion will have Zone 9 on their boarding pass. Still...they let me pull up my companion into Zone 2 boarding.

This always happens to us. I'll be glad to see DL change their stupid Zone boarding plan they have now, where you'll be in Zone 3 in one seat & the person going with you, even sitting next to you at times, is in Zone 9. I've always wondered...is there any logic to how they board each of the current zones that I'm missing?

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

TWA902fly

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:05 am

what about this... you draw circles on the floor with numbers, the same numbers as big numbers, for stupid people, on their boarding passes. families / couples will have sequential numbers. big TV screen shows number last boarded, so someone who just ran up can just get in line...

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

FutureFO

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:40 am

The only DL Regional jets that have a F cabin is our 170's at Shuttle America. So it is not a new concept on the DL side. Our UA 170's are 3 class with F/Y+/Y.

Sean from MCO and SDF
I Don't know where I am anymore

TPAnx

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:46 am

Maybe they could acknowledge punctuality by seating early arrivals and early check-ins together. Call them "group A". Then..  devil 
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

DL787932ER

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:08 pm

Quoting TPAnx (Reply 28):

Wow! Don't even joke about a legacy (especially DL!) getting rid of preassigned seating...  scared 
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

TPAnx

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:31 pm

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 29):
Don't even joke about a legacy (especially DL!) getting rid of preassigned seating...

Don't worry...been there..done the cattle call (fun to make cow or sheep-like noises while boarding SW) and don't ever want to do it again.
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

OttoPylit

Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 24):

Yes, but aren't the "groups" you speak of designated in some way, similar to Delta's Zone boarding? How are the groups seperated?

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 25):
I've always wondered...is there any logic to how they board each of the current zones that I'm missing?

Of course not. After all, this is an airline. LOL Actually, there is some logic to it. As stated before on earlier threads:

Zone 1-First Class

Zone 2-Medallions in front of coach

Zone 3-Medallions in back of coach

Zone 4-Some rows near the rear

Zone 5-Some rows nearer to the front

Zone 6-More rows nearer to the back, etc, etc.

Its basically a staggered boarding system. Instead of rows 30-35, and then rows 25-30, and then 20-25, which usually causes a line of people waiting down the aisle because bozos in the back are putting stuff in the overheads, while those are in the back doing that, a section up front of the plane can be loaded, and then more to the back and more to the front. You are basically loading 2 sections of the airplane at once, reducing turnaround time and getting more work out of the airplane. You are supposed to have wait times in between Zones of 10-20 seconds, but many larger stations like ATL can't because many of the jetways are too long to see around(and crooked), so you may still get the line out into the jetway, but it shrinks quickly. Believe it or not, there is a rhyme and reason to it.

I know, thats very hard to believe in this industry.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

DL787932ER

Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 31):
Zone 1-First Class

Zone 2-Medallions in front of coach

Zone 3-Medallions in back of coach

I don't think this is accurate, because (at least on my recent flights) they let Medallions board at the same time as Zone 1 (which is First Class, AFAICT). I know I've been in Zone 3 to board in coach, and I'm not a Medallion.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

zsx81

Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:49 pm

Its pretty simple really and works amazingly well on 757s.

Zone 1 is first class
Zone 2 / 3 meddlions front and back
Zone 4 Windows in the back
Zone 5 Middle/Aisle in the back
Zone 6 Windows in mid section
Zone 7 Middle/Aisle in the mid section
Zone 8 Windows in the front section behind first
Zone 9 Middle/Aisle in the front section behind first

As you can see let say if a party of 3 is sitting in the back they are only one zone appart (usually not a big deal). If it is a big deal to the pax they can go ahead with zone 4 and believe it or not it doesnt cause a major backup since they are sitting in a single row.

Also you see large parties only during holiday times. Normally the aircraft is full of people that are travelling by themselves as I have come to realize since this procedure started.

jacobin777

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:03 pm

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 31):

Yes, but aren't the "groups" you speak of designated in some way, similar to Delta's Zone boarding? How are the groups seperated?

er....that I couldn't tell you too much about....... Sad
"Up the Irons!"

kl662

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:25 pm

So, I can certainly understand the concept and, theoretically, it sounds great. If a gate Nazi could enforce the rules and make sure that everyone boards according to the zone, I'm sure it would work perfectly. However, human nature, of course, dictates that everyone wants to be the first to board (hence an elite member pre-boarding perk) and that a majority won't expend the effort to understand and follow the process. As others have mentioned, this can really gum up the works and make what is, in theory, a sound idea into one that doesn't work so well.

At any rate, what I don't understand is why, if such systematic boarding can streamline the process, Southwest's near-anarchic system hasn't destroyed their turnaround times. Clearly, the lack of assigned seating has a lot to do with it: folks aren't standing in the aisle all glassy-eyed trying to figure out which seat is which. But, in my experience, the Southwest system operates opposite to a more organized process: people grab the front rows (well, exits being an exception) and aisle seats first.

Are lack of assigned seating and generally lower load factors just enough to make Southwest's system work? Or are zone boarding schemes simply an exercise in futility?

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 22):
...study findings were published via the intranet's portal utilizing single sign-on.

I think you meant "findings were socialized"...  

[Edited 2006-02-08 06:28:46]

Jumpseat70

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:26 pm

Say what you will folks, but we turn our planes ontime and in less than 30 minutes, full loads in MCI everyday. This zone concept has really worked even though I was against it from the beginning.

Regarding the families together in rows with the Aisle, Middle, Window, I was told that they would have the same zone if they were in the same PNR.

Good Goes Around....Fly Delta!!
"Up, Up and away with TWA"

roseflyer

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:05 am

It is good to see Delta giving this a try. Random row boarding is pretty much the fastest regardless. The reason is because you don't have people bumping into each other and crowding around the same space. When you board 5 rows at a time, it causes a mess in that part of the airplane. By boarding rows randomly you get people fussing about in all sections of the airplane.

Windows, middles, aisles is good because it keeps the rows staggered but also elimates people in aisle seats having to get up to allow people in the windows to get in.

Of course nothing will ever be like WN boarding as people have a reason to rush on and they go find empty space and don't fuss about trying to find their row.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

slider

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:26 am

UA just tried this a few months ago and it was an abysmal failure. Industrial engineers discovered that this method actually ADDED time to the boarding process, not reduced it.

But hey, DL has to keep consultants employed I guess....boondoggle.

thunder9

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Good Idea but, the efficiency is depending on the pax

Ding, Ding! Winner!  Smile Regardless of how many boarding processes that the airlines come up with, the efficiency of those processes lies directly in the lap of the pax. I have seen full MD-80's (140 pax) take just 15 minutes to board, then on the next flight, 90 people couldn't get it figured out in nearly 30 minutes. Each group of pax is different...

Also, to answer a question from (I think) OttoPylit, AA's boarding group numbers are by groups of rows.

-J
"Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee." - William Kershner

deltagator

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:22 am

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 22):
Cross-divisional teams, using collaborative effort, studied the problem via interfunctional communications. Six Sigma promoted problem resolution through iterative methodology, and study findings were published via the intranet's portal utilizing single sign-on

Somebody's got a MBA. Do I need to show you how to use the copy machine?  biggrin 

Very funny. I know you're joking around but corporate speak cracks me up.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

aviaction

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:57 am

Yes, SvenvdM is right, Lufthansa introduced this system a few years ago, with much fanfare, as it was described as the perfect solution. Alas, it just didn't work - and was discontinued after just a couple of weeks. With far less fanfare though.

Convenient boarding to all of us.
Aviaction
German by nationality, European by heart!

IAHAAPLATINUM

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:33 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 24):
as a Platinum flyer, I know for a fact that's not how the do it..

they announce 1st/Business....then Platinum/Executive Platinum (sometimes Gold gets added to the mix)....

I agree, AA typically follows this protocol. I have to admit, I enjoy boarding first, and not having to stand in a long line on the jet bridge or inside the aircraft in order to get to my seat. However, I've seen far too many times when the gate agents let anyone board who joins the line. Several times (al at DFW) I've had large groups traveling together (i.e. 20 - 30 passengers) rush the gate when FC is called, then allowed to board with/before FC passengers. While I'm not a usually a whinny passenger, this seems to defeat the purpose of the zones, and definitely ticks off those in FC. My point - if the gate agents aren't going to adhere to it, any boarding plan is worthless!

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 20):
Personally, I don't agree with it, as the Zone boarding concept works wonderfully as it is. Why fix something that isn't broken? Because people somewhere in the G.O. need to be kept working in some way, so they just rearrange everything as often as possible. This is a concept that works great on paper, but when done in real time can be very different. The company says they have already tested it and it works fine. Yea, I've seen these kinds of tests. You get a group of volunteers, tell them what you are going to do, what the point is, and what you are trying to accomplish, and they do it. However, in real time, as Longbow said, you get a bunch of lemmings who don't pay attention and feel that they are more deserving than anything else on the face of the Earth and that don't know what they are doing at the airport in the first place and it changes the pace quite a bit.

How about that, me, you and Longbow actually against a new Delta policy. I hope the BKAD's are reading this!  Wink

I'm with ya, there's nothing wrong with zone boarding. It took too long for the pax to get used to that. Remember when that first started? All they kept saying was how stupid it was, and it got real crazy, real fast. Guess they want to put the gate agent thru that mess again. And it's for exactly the reasons you state.

This would be great if everyone was traveling alone, but no way you're gonna get people to split up.

B

Mich

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:50 am

Doesnt matter what you do to board a plane unless you say once seated you must stay seated. Always always always there are those people that just have to get the carry on down smack in the middle of a board. So if your in first you now have people hovering over you and if your in line to get to row 53, tuff cause Ms. Perfect needed a mirror or some other useless item from a stowed bag.
Then you have the first class type or member of some "club" that gets you on the plane first and wonder why the line isnt moving. Really though why does it matter so much to some that they get on first? Ego must play a part so they are "seen" in a first class chair so people say "oh a rich one". In most cases a wannabe rich one that had a company foot the bill. Not like you gotta jump on a moving plane it will wait for you no matter where you sit.

Back OT:
In my humble opinion it should be a free for all to board a plane young vs old healthy vs cripple.. Would at least be entertaining then most of the boarding procedures to date.

wdleiser

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:02 am

I personally feel this method is good on paper, good for business passengers traveling alone.

BUT!

Families travel together so its a nono.

I feel a quicker way to board would be to board the back first, so you dont have people in the aisles at the front of the plane blocking others.

upstatedave

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:59 am

Safe, clean, and on-time. That's what our customers value. With your help, that's what we're going to deliver.

hmmm... No mention of the customer really. From that statement you'd would think they were a cargo carrier.
"Once you fly, you will walk with your eyes skyward. For there you will go again." Leonardo da Vinci

FLAIRPORT

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:19 am

I for one would like to board early. I always get a window if possible. My beef about the zones is that on song i was in zone 1 when i was in rows 1 and 2, but when i was in row 6 (also in the small cabin) I was in zone 4. I don't understand why that is.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

DL4EVR

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 47):
I for one would like to board early. I always get a window if possible. My beef about the zones is that on song i was in zone 1 when i was in rows 1 and 2, but when i was in row 6 (also in the small cabin) I was in zone 4. I don't understand why that is.

Ditto. I'm usually somewhere within row 2-4 and am in Zone 1. Yet several times (due to seat resassignments, etc) I've been in row 5-7. Those times I've been in Zones 3, 4 & 5...without any obvious method to their madness. Curiously enough...I've never experience Zone 2 within the front cabin in ANY row.
We Love To Fly And It Shows.