leelaw

JL Signs MOU With Oneworld For Membership

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:52 pm

TOKYO (Dow Jones) -- Japan Airlines Corp. said Wednesday it has signed a memorandum of understanding with Oneworld, the first step in the official procedure for joining the global airline alliance made up of eight major airlines.

Japan Airlines, which announced its intention to seek Oneworld membership in October, expects to join the alliance in about a year, the airline said in a statement.

[Edited 2006-02-08 09:59:45]
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

LTU932

RE: JL Signs MOU With Oneworld For Membership

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:02 pm

It looks like JL has taken the first step into joining OW at last. Let's see how things will go for them.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

aa1818

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:37 pm

Great news for OW. Congrats to JAL! 2006/ 2007 seem to be expansion years for OW after a few years of stagnation. let's hope further integration will also follow with these new members. besides Malev, Royal Jordanian and JAL, who else in the reasonably forseeable future could possibly join OW (not in India or China as there was a thread about this about a week ago).

Airlines in LatAm? Africa? any other Eastern/ Central European airlines?

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

EddieDude

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:42 am

MX and JJ could be interesting candidates, but I think that at the moment they are both interested in staying independent.
Upcoming AM MEX-LAX 73H, VA LAX-MEL 77W.

commavia

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 3):
MX and JJ could be interesting candidates, but I think that at the moment they are both interested in staying independent.

Agreed. Both seem to be resistant to joining alliances, although long-term, I could forsee both joining oneworld.

fxramper

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:53 am

thought JL was already codesharing with One World partners? what gives?

when they join, will this reduce any of the frequencies that AA flys to NRT? Will JL move into DFW?

Thanks!

kiwiandrew

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:25 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 3):

I read somewhere ( sorry , can't remember where ) that as part of MXs 'exit agreement' from Star that they had a 2 year "stand down period " before they could join another alliance ... as they left Star 31/03/04 that period will be up at the end of next month ... at that time they become free to join another alliance (.... if they want to )

jacobin777

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:40 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 5):
when they join, will this reduce any of the frequencies that AA flys to NRT? Will JL move into DFW?

would be interesting to see..the only one so far I would see being cut is SJC-NRT of course, I hope it doesn't.. pray ......

JFK-NRT is doing very well....especially now that NW is out of the loop.

Also, of interest, now that JL is downgrading NRT-LHR, will be interesting to see how that works with a possible BA codeshare....
"Up the Irons!"

MAH4546

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 5):
Will JL move into DFW?

Highly doubtful, as long as AA continues 2x daily DFW-NRT service.

However, this does open the door for JAL to the major oneWorld hubs of MIA, BOS, and MAD, pending the delivery of 787s.
a.

aa1818

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:30 am

Is there really the year round demand for flights to fill 230 seats to Miami and Boston?? I could see Madrid perhaps, but don't u think that it's a bit wishful for JL to fly to MIA and BOS?

What sort of codeshares exist presently between other OW partners and JL?

What about Royal Jordanian and Malev? Any news, increased/ initiated codeshares with OW yet?

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos