EK156
Topic Author

EK Double Daily To Perth

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:17 pm

Emirates has confirmed their dates for their double daily flights to Perth

http://www.emirates.com/uae/AboutEmi...ews/GN_NewsDetail.asp?yr=2006&St=2

I thought that the Australian Government has not given them a green light to increase capacity??? Does this mean EK will increase be able to increase capacity now??? They have 42 flights weekly to Australia, they were asking for 84. Are they going to get them?

yowza

RE: EK Double Daily To Perth

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:39 pm

I saw this announcement myself and wondered the very same thing.
Anyone with more info?

YOWza

nzrich

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:40 pm

I wonder if these flights will end up going to AKL at some time in the future
"Pride of the pacific"

ZKOJH

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:48 pm

i think akl gets a lot of EK at the moment 3x daily,
Vietnam time..

BNE

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:24 pm

From the news article.

From 2nd March, EK424 will fly every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday to Perth, departing at 09:25 and arriving at 00:10 the next day. Return flight EK425 will depart Perth on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays at 06:30 to arrive in Dubai at 13:45. All timings are local.

Currently, EK420 departs Dubai daily at 02:35 hours to arrive in Perth at 17:20 hours; EK 421 departs Perth at 22:30 hours, arriving in Dubai at 05:45 hours the following morning.

I don't find any of these times that inspring if I was leaving from Perth.

Sydney and Melbourne have double daily but both the flights seem to go out within a couple of hours of each other.

Does Emirates run a banked hub in Dubai at different times of the day.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

HBDAN

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:35 pm

BNE is right, the new timetable is really awful! I took the perth-dubai flight with EK and even for the jetleg timetable it was good (22:30-05:45)!

But the new timetable... really no! Anyway, I remember my EK flight really full, think in economy not even one seat available.

For the future no government will stop EK: great value for money! Customers just love EK's service... and so did I!

Regards,
HBDAN
Next flight: hopefully soon...

HKGKaiTak

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting EK156 (Thread starter):
I thought that the Australian Government has not given them a green light to increase capacity??? Does this mean EK will increase be able to increase capacity now??? They have 42 flights weekly to Australia, they were asking for 84. Are they going to get them?

Their maximum is 49 flights per week to Australia - which the second daily Perth flight takes them to.

The Sydney Morning Herald's business section yesterday reports that EK wants to increase to 92 (!) flights per week, citing that the MEL and SYD routes are now the top 3 EK longhaul destinations in terms of profitability.

EK is also arguing that QF's pull-out from several European ports (Paris and Rome - both now code-share only with AF and CX respectively) show that it is not profitable for an Australian airline to fly to mainland Europe and that it will help bring competition to those routes, and touts the advantage of one-stop connection through DXB with no back-tracking.

Be interesting how this goes. Seems EK is quietly pushing for more Aussie traffic rights at the same time SQ is making a song and a dance over trans-Pacific ...
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

antskip

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:26 am

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 6):
The Sydney Morning Herald's business section yesterday reports that EK wants to increase to 92 (!) flights per week, citing that the MEL and SYD routes are now the top 3 EK longhaul destinations in terms of profitability.

Great reference! The article referred to goes partly as follows:
"EMIRATES is tipped to use British Airways' exit from Melbourne next month and Qantas's lack of services into mainland Europe as the key planks in its lobbying effort aimed at more than doubling its flights into Australia to 98 a week. "While other carriers pull out, we actually want to increase our services," said the airline's head of East Asia and Australasian commercial operations, Richard Vaughan..."We have a carrier pulling out of Melbourne next month called BA and we actually want more services into there," Mr Vaughan said at the opening of Emirates' first- and business-class lounge at Sydney Airport yesterday. Emirates rates Sydney and Melbourne among its top three most profitable long-haul routes. Since beginning services to Australia in 1996, Emirates has built up 5.7 per cent share of the international market. Qantas's share has fallen from 34.7 to 28.2 per cent in the past four years".
http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...ots/2006/02/07/1139074229738.html.

MEA

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:12 pm

I guess these points from EKs press release demonstrate what a bit of competition can bring to markets Qantas chooses to ignore:

Emirates SkyCargo’s services have boosted exports of chilled meat, fresh produce, flowers, and seafood, mainly to markets in the Middle East...

Between 1997 and 2003, Australia became one of the most popular destinations for leisure travellers from the Middle East with tourist traffic growing by 45 per cent and Tourism Australia forecasting a further 80 per cent increase in 2006.

Source: http://www.emirates.com/uae/AboutEmi...ews/GN_NewsDetail.asp?yr=2006&St=2

Will we ever see QF operate flights via Dubai to Europe or the Middle East?

kesflyer

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:21 pm

Suppose that while QF is pulling flights to Europe, then EK is smart enough to take them on and win..

QF currently seems to be obessed with the low cost Jetstar and Australian Airlines...

I woudl personally like to see them have another daily into Melbourne ..

crewtagdotcom

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:45 pm

I hope EK will eventually switch their PER flights to the 777ER. The 340-300 is one of the worst fleet they have!!! I guess they make it up in inflight service and the amount of food they serve.

CREWTAG.COM

[Edited 2006-02-09 07:48:53]
Shift Happens!

antskip

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:20 am

QF has responded in their usual style in today's Australian newspaper:" QANTAS has lashed out at a push by Emirates to double its capacity into Australia, describing the Dubai-based carrier's plans as "over the top" and signalling it will campaign hard against the proposal..."Their (Emirates') attitude - that just because they've got more rights into Europe, they should be given more rights into Australia - just doesn't work," Mr Gregg said yesterday. "The Australian Government can't get more access into Paris, so why should Australian carriers be penalised for that?" Mr Gregg also reiterated Qantas's long-held view that Emirates receives government support not available to Qantas, a claim Emirates vehemently denies...Qantas will be ready to do battle with its nemesis. "We'll do what we always do to try and protect the interests of Qantas, Qantas shareholders and the Australian public," Mr Gregg said."
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...0,5744,18095669%255E23349,00.html.