Staffing Once-a-week Flights...

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:51 am

I'm sitting at my desk right now in downtown Calgary where I can see YYC in the distance. Monarch 368 left minutes ago for Manchester and Monarch 336 will be leaving soon for LGW. My question is this...How does Monarch arrange for the return crew on these two trips? The inbound flights arrived less than two hours ago. Have there been crews laying over in YYC for the last week, or would they have deadheaded here on today's flights (unlikely I would guess), or would they have been flown here a day or two before on another airline? Conversely, the crews that brought the inbound flights here...are they deadheading home on the outbound flights? Anybody know?

airbazar

RE: Staffing Once-a-week Flights...

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:57 am

On regularly scheduled airlines it's common for the crew to deadhead but on charter operations, the crew may stay on for a week. I have a friend who's a flight attendant for Condor and it's not unusual for them to spend a week in places like the Dominican Republic or Seychelles. Not too shaby.

Cessnapimp

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:07 am

I am not sure in the case of Monarch, but with Zoom, when we had shoulder-season frequency a.k.a Once-a-week, we could stay in LGW (yes... Gatwick... the horror... the horror...) for 6½ days.

What would/could also happen sometimes is that we would operate YYZ-YUL-CDG, the deadhead on, say, BA or Easy to LGW, rest a day, then operate LGW-YYC-YVR, and then DH the next day on Harmony or WJ back home to YYZ. LOL! See? Tons of possibilities!  Wink

And so does Monarch operate to YVR as well right now? They might be DH'ing into YYC after a day's rest in YVR.

eta unknown

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:35 am

The all time clasic went to MEA's now discontinued once weekly BEY-DXB-SIN-SYD flight.

One crew would operate BEY-DXB on another day. Rest. They would then travel Royal Brunei DXB-SIN. Rest. Then fly SIN-SYD (12 hours)-SIN. Not sure what happened after that!

Thomas_Jaeger

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:58 am

Condor uses the same crew for their weekly MUC-SEZ flight. They just leave the aircraft there all day while the crew rests and then fly back in the evening. Allows for nice daytrips to the Seychelles if you are as crazy as I am, you sleep on the plane while the crew works, they sleep while you are exploring the island  Smile.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

cedarjet

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:00 am

Some airlines tow the aircraft off the stand to a remote area, park the plane for ten hours, crew get eight hours sleep in the nearest airport hotel, then fly the aircraft back the next day. Tarom did this with their once-a-week Beijing flight.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Avianca

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:11 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 1):
On regularly scheduled airlines it's common for the crew to deadhead but on charter operations, the crew may stay on for a week. I have a friend who's a flight attendant for Condor and it's not unusual for them to spend a week in places like the Dominican Republic or Seychelles. Not too shaby.

sounds good for 3 or 4 times, but imagine after 20times staying at the same hotel at the Seychelles..... and you have thinks to do at home
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

6thfreedom

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:02 am

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 5):
Some airlines tow the aircraft off the stand to a remote area, park the plane for ten hours, crew get eight hours sleep in the nearest airport hotel, then fly the aircraft back the next day. Tarom did this with their once-a-week Beijing flight.

Air Mauritius did the same thing in melbourne for a while...

flight would arrive MEL 05.00, crew rest durng the day, and flight would depart 22.00 same day. Not ideal aircraft utilisation to say the least.

It would make sense for all airlines worldwide to be granted a minimum of 3 frequencies per week in any bilateral. Airlien economies should come into the equation at some point!

aerorobnz

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:09 am

Back when the NZ/TE DC10s had a once a week operation into LGW the FAs used to get a week up in London on the drastically more substantial allowances they had back then. NRT/HKG were similar too.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

edgaren

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:28 am

I 've had the same doubt regarding FCA crew working the flight LGW-MAN-PMV which usually runs every other wesnday, does the crew get a fourteen night lay over then? or they go back to England via some other airline? because quite frankly It doesnt seem fair (human) for the crew to return to UK the same day after a 11 hour flight.......EDGAR.

Tuffer

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:49 pm

Monarch flies into Calgary 2X per week to both MAN and LGW on Wen. and Sat. So what probably happens is the Sat crew comes in and lays over for 4 days and flies back to LGW/MAN on Wen. Then the Wen. Crew arrives and stays until Sat when they fly back to LGW/MAN. And the cycle repeats its self!

samL

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:49 pm

what about flights like BA LHR - LAD which operates once weekly or even Aeroflot DME - LAD which operates once a fortnight - I can't imagine any sane crew member signing up to spend a week in Angola - slightly different from SEZ!!

If (as I guess I assume), they just come back on the flight as pax, where is the cut off point in terms of frequencies. Say I operate to HRE three times a week, would they be frequent enough to just leave the crews in a hotel and bring them back on the next flight? what if it was twice weekly?