Delta

Thu Jun 01, 2000 11:16 am

who do you think delta should merge with???? :-o

DL WIDGET HEAD

RE: Delta

Thu Jun 01, 2000 11:25 am

I think they should merge with Continental. The fleets are almost identical and Continental has some good routes and hubs. Northwest would be good for their Asian system and the 747's but not as good as Continental.

Thu Jun 01, 2000 11:39 am

i would agree with you on that one. we would have hubs in ATL, EWR, LGA, JFK, BOS, CVG, CLE, SLC, IAH, DFW..... we need more routes in the west......

DeltaRNOmd-80

Thu Jun 01, 2000 1:47 pm

Sorry for being picky but when did LGA and BOS become hubs for Delta or Continental? I know BOS could be called a "mini-hub" or a focus city for Delta but not a real hub and doesnt LGA belong to US Airways? Just asking....  

unitedchicago

Thu Jun 01, 2000 2:11 pm

I think Delta should go after Northwest. It would give them a needed midwest presence and expand their pacific routes.

I know the buzz is American should go for NWA, but I wouldn't dismiss Leo Mullins...he's much more competitive and bold then past Delta CEOs.

aaron atp

Thu Jun 01, 2000 2:20 pm

you people are sadists

akelley728

Thu Jun 01, 2000 2:25 pm

I agree with UnitedChicago - I think Delta/NWA makes more sense then Delta/Continental. There's just too much overlap between Delta/Continental for that one to work (plus you would have six hubs in the same geographical locations in the country - EWR/JFK, CLE/CVG, and DFW/IAH). Plus, Delta would still be weak in the West.

Delta/NWA - Delta would get the midwest and Pacific routes it's always wanted. Plus, I would LOVE to see 747-400s in Delta's colors!

UALfa@jfk

Thu Jun 01, 2000 2:36 pm

I don't think any more of the "real" majors should merge with each other after the UAL/US-A acquisition. They should each maintain their present niches. But to answer your question, Delta should only go after the likes of America West or Frontier.

surleswj

Thu Jun 01, 2000 2:37 pm

I would think that DOT might have a slight problem with DL/CO over the North Atlantic, they would control an awful lot of the market share. I would also agree that the location of hubs and international route systems would make NW a slightly better partner for DL. Whatever the case both options would still leave them very weak on the west coast, just an opinion.

P.S. In responce to DeltaRNOmd-80 - While USAirways does operate the largest number of flights out of LGA I think Delta has the largest market share in terms of passengers. I might be wrong but I think I remember reading that in the Wall Street Journal on articles about the UAL/US merger. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

DeltaRNOmd-80

Thu Jun 01, 2000 2:41 pm

Delta should merge with.... NOBODY. What is with all these talks of merging here? If everyone merged and we had two or three major airlines and each one controlled a particular geographic location, the prices would SOAR and it would be bad for everyone. I say, No More MERGERS. If we are not serious and are just discussing which airlines would do good to merge because of route map differences, fleet commonality, etc..., then I say Delta and NWA, because it gives Delta a midwest presence and seeing that no one really dominates on the west except American and United (An American and Delta merger wouldnt go through and United has already merged), then Delta cant really get stronger on the west by acquiring another airline except MAYBE America West. So Delta would do good to merge with NWA if anybody and boost up Midwest presence..

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jun 02, 2000 3:49 am

Delta should merge with Alitalia. Northwest with Aeroflot.

There.

Delta15

Fri Jun 02, 2000 3:57 am

Delta cant merege with aeroflot or Alitalita DUH